test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why only the first six weeks of AoY launch for bonus rewards?

2»

Comments

• Options
    bengahlbengahl Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    I wanted to understand how it's friendly to the new players who show up after the first six weeks. They can't get all of the benefits and can't rapidly close the gap. If the artificial scarcity has to do with metrics, then it's not about the new-player friendliness but about money.

well, naturally. they gotta keep the lights on and the staff paid somehow, right?
    I'm fairly sure Cryptic actually /has/ the Rules of Acquisition somewhere in their office. =P

• Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    The metrics are about how many new players the expansion can bring in as well as how many players are actively playing STO, but more specifically how many of them are playing the expansion. Indirectly it can result in generating more money for Cryptic assuming some of the new players decide to spend money.

Cryptic/PWE ultimately is a business, not a charity. They have expenses pay to keep the business going. On top of that businesses like to make a profit on whatever product / services they provide since the profits can be used to allow the company to grow and provide more / better product / services to their potential customers. To be very cynical, everything in life is about money because without it people will not be doing much of anything such as eating food.

The word "friendly" is pretty broad and must be used within certain limitations. The event is "friendly" for new players because it allows them a way to catch up to existing players to a certain extent if they are willing to complete all nine reputation systems. That will allow them to get ultra rare Mk XIII rep gear which is a lot better than getting very rare Mk XII gear since upgrading them to ultra rare Mk XIII can be pretty expensive. As a cynical interpretation of the meaning of the word friendly, New Zealand is considered one of the most friendliest countries in the world. If that is so then why do they have a military?

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I wanted to understand how it's friendly to the new players who show up after the first six weeks. They can't get all of the benefits and can't rapidly close the gap. If the artificial scarcity has to do with metrics, then it's not about the new-player friendliness but about money.

And why exactly is it wrong for a company to try and make money?

I don't understand why people constantly vilify Cryptic just for trying to make a profit. It's a business, full of people that depend on it to pay their bills and feed their family. All companies are in business to make money, it's not an act of evil.

As for your complaint about new players, this is how promotions work. People flood in because it's a 'limited time' event. If you just establish it as something that can be done anytime, it doesn't have the same effect. Yes, it sucks for people that join later and miss the window but that's the nature of MMOs. Almost every one I have ever played ran special events for a limited time, the good news is that events like this are run on a regular basis. Last year was the Delta Recruiting event, this year it's AOY.

There is no reason to believe that there won't be more events in the future.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User

The padawan is learning. Soon a master you will be...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif