test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Only Just Returned After 6 Years Away ...

I played STO at launch. As a huge Trek fan I had such high hopes. Hopes that fell far, far short. So I moved on to greener pastures and other MMOs and never really intended to return to it, least of all after it went the F2P route. But some friends prevailed on me to give it another shot with the new expansion ... and am I ever glad they did! The game has improved on so many levels and in so many ways. Before I spent months struggling just to reach Rear Admiral status but was able to find I could reach it fairly effortlessly (and far out-leveling the episodes) in a mere 2 days now. The number of ships and uniforms, the variety and diversity of both game content and customization is staggering now. And for someone who hasn't given STO a second glance since release, there is a LOT that's new and changed. I'm impressed. I had assumed, I guess, that this MMO stayed fallow after going F2P as many others do, but clearly it hasn't. Just wanted to drop a note and say I'm enjoying myself immensely and am so glad I gave STO a second chance. I think many other MMO gamers should, as well.

Comments

• flynn444flynn444 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Wait until they discover lockboxes. dino5-2.gif​​

...which are not in any way required to enjoy the game.

• mtcasonmtcason Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I haven't had any problem with the lockboxes. I'll save 'em up until I can get keys, either through Zen or buying them off the exchange. No biggie.
  • jorills#2143 jorills Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I'm back after a extended time away also.

Has the game improved, yup but this last expansion added so many bugs it has me wondering if thier contracting out programing to high school kids lol. Some of the bugs are funny as heck so least they make me laugh.

For a free to play model i find this one accually to be one of the better ones, and have thrown a few bucks into it (for a T6 ship)

Lot of ppl complain about the lock boxes, but so far i don't see a need for whats in them and believe you can buy on the exchange anything thety offer for EC anyway (if you unlock the EC cap)/

All in all imo they have done a good job with this game, but this latest expansion being buggier than a vaadwaur leader has me going hmmmm.
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    There's no question that if you look back a number of years...things have improved. And there's so many places that can still be "fleshed out." Looking forward to continuing improvement. The developers keep coming out with new content. Did you notice the expansion of sector space? One of my personal favorite modifications to the game.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    Isn't it copy and paste feature from one server to another rearrange codes in a wrong order somehow. because I had the starfleet admiral talking the promotion speech off Jm'Pok. bugs like that, kinda funny not really annoying...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Welcome back :)

And don't pay too much attention to the lock box stuff: a couple of weeks ago prices of literally all lock box items on the Exchange plummeted to an all-time low for even some of the most wanted items.

Even if lock box items were a necessity (which they are not anyway) then there has never been a better time to buy those items.
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Quick! Start a Temporal recruit and level them to 47 today so you can get all the featured episode replay items before the event ends!!
  • mtcasonmtcason Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    hanover2 wrote: »
    Quick! Start a Temporal recruit and level them to 47 today so you can get all the featured episode replay items before the event ends!!

I started a new recruit, but I don't understand about the event ending. It was my understanding it was supposed to last for the next 6 weeks?
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    mtcason wrote: »
    I started a new recruit, but I don't understand about the event ending. It was my understanding it was supposed to last for the next 6 weeks?

No those are 2 separate events, running simultaniously up until tomorrow...the episode replay ends, but the TOS recruit goes on, as does the Risa event. When you press "J", to the very left hand side there is a banner with current running events...the dots under itshow how many are currently running.
    Go pro or go home
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User

Two events in question. First, the Temporal recruitment, which I believe runs for a while yet. Second the "Featured Episode Replay," which ends tomorrow. If you want:

Ophidian Cane
    Shard of Possibilities
    Reman BO
    Breen BO

Then you must play those respective missions during the episode replay, which ends sometime tomorrow. The highest level mission among them requires level 47.
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »

And don't pay too much attention to the lock box stuff: a couple of weeks ago prices of literally all lock box items on the Exchange plummeted to an all-time low for even some of the most wanted items.

Even if lock box items were a necessity (which they are not anyway) then there has never been a better time to buy those items.

Lockbox fan. Mx4Vj8T.png​​

Actually, for me recent developments have not been so nice since I mostly sell stuff ;)

But I can't deny that for the majority it has been a good development.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

well less now, but while the recruit event is ongoing, the replay event for the FE rewards is nearly over.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »

Yeah, I have enough Plasmonic Leeches for all 5 of my Fed captains.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    I haven't had any problem with the lockboxes. I'll save 'em up until I can get keys, either through Zen or buying them off the exchange. No biggie.

Just a warning about lockboxes, if you want to get the ship, then it is far cheaper to sell lockbox keys on the Exchange and buy the ship on the Exchange than to open up lockboxes. There is a small chance that you will get the ship or whatever you want by opening lockboxes, but more likely it will require hundreds of keys to get the ship. So never open up lockboxes for the ship, but for something else like grabbing the bind on pickup items in the Lobi Store.