test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Operation Gamma Temporal Probe Placement

orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
Okay, I've spent 30-40 minutes looking for this. I've done the mission twice now and it's actually starting to TRIBBLE me off.

The Idran system has 2-3 Maps. Two of them are essentially the same (huge) map, with the only "landmark" being a navigation beacon. I searched this map pretty thoroughly and the only thing I found were the shuttle interiors that were used for the cutscenes (bottom left corner of the map).

The other (huge) map is the one with the Idran swarmers. Again, searched that pretty thoroughly.

Doesn't help that the "scan area" doesn't detect it. Certainly doesn't help that sensor range is so short you won't see it until you're right on top of it.

Anyone know which map has the probe? I'm not asking for exact placement, because it's random, but it'd help save an immense amount of time to know which map to search. I assume it was the first Idran system map, but I just can't find it, it's so huge.

Edit: I did think about just combing the whole map, seeing if anything appears (25km sensor range). Did a little check to see what the height of the map is... Seems like it's 200km high... F*** that (especially when I'm not sure I'm even searching the right map).

Edit 2: Found it - For anyone who is searching for it, it's on the map with the Idran swarmers and Farak's ship. Not the map where it first appears in your mission log. Thanks to ChrisofBorg for that.
Previously Alendiak
Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
Post edited by orondis on

Comments

• fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    Adding these the the v scan would have been nice tbh, given their possibly random placement.
  • chrisofborgchrisofborg Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    It's on the map where you find the Ferengi ship. Keep an eye on your map, I started picking it up when I was within about 15km of it. The probe wasn't visible for me, but my BOffs told me it was close and I was still able to scan it.
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Thanks for that, I'll give it a go again.

Edit: Found it.
    Post edited by orondis on
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • yeswecantyeswecant Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    Where exactly is it? If I can't see it, finding it becomes only more difficult
  • msb777msb777 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    must be bugged can't find it, and if it can spown anywhere on the map thuosends of people are scrowed. its probley in something or outside the map
    Well, if anyone who reads this happens to find it, post the location here.
    Even if there are different locations, having a list of those helps a lot, especially on this mission
  • palanovapalanova Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    I find it on the second map, Idran system, after i speak the ferengi and com out the asteroid, the temproal probe appeard on may minimap az a grey dot, like a derelict ship or satellite. To unlock it i use: 3153 code.
    which asteroid?
    Found it.
    You need to search for it before destroying the shield in the map with the asteroids.

Then fly near all the asteroids and watch the map. It should show up as a dot before the boff even says a word.

Mine was located at the "science-asteroid" of the asteroid group aligned like "^"
    The probe is located on the asteroid's southern surface.
  • neyarineyari Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    Whoever thought a randomly spawning tiny entity in the space map should have no constraints on its spawn areas was a good idea, should be slapped. This is literally simple game design 101 don't do this kinda stuff.
  • e4echoe4echo Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    yeswecant wrote: »
    Found it.
    You need to search for it before destroying the shield in the map with the asteroids.

Then fly near all the asteroids and watch the map. It should show up as a dot before the boff even says a word.

Mine was located at the "science-asteroid" of the asteroid group aligned like "^"

I had to repeat it 3 times, on the third time I did what yeswecant;12990918 suggested and found it on the second map no problem.
  • freightstopperfreightstopper Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    Adding these the the v scan would have been nice tbh, given their possibly random placement.

Supposedly they ARE findable with the V scan, though I stopped being able to find them with it on kuvah'magh. Zooming in on the map and hovering the cursor over any and all white / grey dots is the best way I've come up with to find them now.
  • entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 546 Arc User
    Yeah, the placement of this probe in particular is horrible. It's a large map, and from what I've seen the entity is *tiny* compared to the asteroids. Without the ability to scan these, this takes longer than the reward is worth.
  • hugin1205hugin1205 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    Operation Gamma Shows the probe as objective on 3 different maps.
    I have searched all 3 for at least 20 minutes each and didn'T find it - and I played that Mission twice.

Same btw on facility 4028 - on which the probe apparently is unaccesible (or at least for some).

Those two are the only probes I haven't been able to collect. I have given up on those two
    18 characters
    KDF: 2 tacs, 2 engs, 3 scis
    KDF Roms: 3 tacs, 1 eng, 1 scis
    FED: 2 tacs, 1 eng, 2 scis
    TOS: 1 tac
    all on T5 rep (up to temporal)
    all have mastered Intel tree (and some more specs Points)
    highest DPS: 60.982
  • shahademshahadem Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    This is complete TRIBBLE TRIBBLE. At this point I want a formal apology from the person behind this TRIBBLE stupid as hell needle hunt for wasting my TRIBBLE time and a promise to never make TRIBBLE like this ever again.
    neyari wrote: »
    Whoever thought a randomly spawning tiny entity in the space map should have no constraints on its spawn areas was a good idea, should be slapped. This is literally simple game design 101 don't do this kinda stuff.

When you go to hit them let me know, I'll fit you with a powerfist.
  • kblarghkblargh Member Posts: 170 Arc User

Same here.

azrael605 wrote: »
    So funny, seeing all the butthurt in this thread, meanwhile I haven't any issues at all finding the probes. Hell most of the time I find them without even trying.

Yeah, I'll believe that when the sun starts setting in the east.

BTW posting that was not helpful, so as you don't want to be helpful go bug someone else.

On topic: I found mine to the lower right of the one farrak is hiding in, the cluster shaped like:- <
    (how do you get more symbols on these keyboards anyway?)
  • drsanitydrsanity Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Add me to the list of those for whom it either didn't manifest or was manifested so invisibly as to be undiscoverable.

Overall this has been a fun update and expansion, but this kind of poor implementation really should never happen at the point of 6 years into your development and release Cryptic. It's amateurish and embarassing for you as developers.

Please have someone examine this at the earliest convenience or give us SOME means to locate these via scans or some kind of 'hot/cold' scanner like on Risa. Blind dead reckoning for locations across multi stage maps that we _cannot backtrack upon_ is simply irritating, not fun.

Doing my second attempt for this and not destroying the shield before looking to see if I have better luck.

Thanks for the hints guys.

Update: On my 4th attempt (4th pass on the mission), the damnable thing was finally discoverable in a location i'd flown by at least 10 times previously in other attempts.

I'm not convinced this probe is spawning correctly/reliably.

Operation_Gamme_Probe_Location.png
    Post edited by drsanity on
    "The only thing mankind learns from the study of history is that mankind does not learn from the study of history." ~G. Santayana
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    So funny, seeing all the butthurt in this thread, meanwhile I haven't any issues at all finding the probes. Hell most of the time I find them without even trying.

Your experience does not negate others experience.

Probes spawning at random locations on large maps and in inaccessible areas is TRIBBLE game design, no amount of your smug will change that.
  • shahademshahadem Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    Found it.

They do not show up as a grey dot. I have spiralred around every single TRIBBLE asteroid multiple times now and there is no dot, no temporal probe, nothing whatsoever. If they showed up as a grey dot I would have found them by now. The only things that show up as dots continue to be the mission objectives and loot critters. Temporal probes do not show up as dots.
  • bydesignbydesign Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    This was found just next (within 10km) to the Spatial Anomaly (Science), in the objective asteroids to the SE of the map. I did find it before destroying the shield generator (objective) but I am not sure its required as it was still present when I checked after speaking to the Frengi Farek.

Hope it helps
  • o0galathor0oo0galathor0o Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    After more that two hours of search I gave in and declared this probe as lost. I won't waste my time with playing this mission a second time.
    drsanity wrote: »
    Overall this has been a fun update and expansion, but this kind of poor implementation really should never happen at the point of 6 years into your development and release Cryptic. It's amateurish and embarassing for you as developers.

I fully sign this.

~ Don't blame the clown for being a clown, blame yourself for going to the circus ~
  • omegapaladinomegapaladin Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    I understand the idea of making you look around for the probes, but with the randomized locations it just gets ridiculous. Please fix this Cryptic, it is definitely not up to your normal standards.

As far as I saw, I recommend looking around the map before taking out the shield generator by Farek - the temporal probe shows up as a tiny white dot. That saved me on my second run of the map.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    I found it on the north side of an asteroid that had a science satellite thingy (it might always be at a science asteroid, and it may be random which one it spawns at). I was able to actually see the probe. It gave me the one where you pick the number to add up to 15. I found it after I had already destroyed the shield generator. In fact, I flew around first and didn't find it until I talked to Farek.

Screenshot%2061_zpsm2oxvp6m.png~original
    Screenshot%2062_zpsk70lvsmn.png~original

That dialogue option though! LOL
    Erase everything but the cursing. Why should we deprive the Na'kuhl of such a delight?
    Screenshot%2064_zpshgmvlsnp.png~original
  • neoforce42neoforce42 Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    It's on the map where you find the Ferengi ship. Keep an eye on your map, I started picking it up when I was within about 15km of it. The probe wasn't visible for me, but my BOffs told me it was close and I was still able to scan it.

Odd, I haven't once seen my bridge officers say anything and I have scouted this map more 3 times and still not seen the probe.
    I found it on the north side of an asteroid that had a science satellite thingy (it might always be at a science asteroid, and it may be random which one it spawns at). I was able to actually see the probe. It gave me the one where you pick the number to add up to 15. I found it after I had already destroyed the shield generator. In fact, I flew around first and didn't find it until I talked to Farek.

Just checked, wasn't there either for me...neither before or after seeing Farek.

vevutq3kggic.png

My ultimate Doom open world mod:

http://www.moddb.com/games/doom-compile-project
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 6,007 Arc User
    simple solution, type /target temporal probe and if's in 80m it'll show up
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      simple solution, type /target temporal probe and if's in 80m it'll show up

Is that a joke?, takes long enough to get there then do the mission...just curious since don't want to waste my 4th attempt on trying.
      vevutq3kggic.png

• born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
      is there a bonus for finding all of them? I can't see one listed
      is there a bonus for finding all of them? I can't see one listed

Not sure, there's usually box's for collecting them but did the item for collecting them all showed up oddly for me, didn't unlock anything for me...meanwhile the Gamma probe seems bugged since it's doesn't seem to exist, I know because I have tried at least 3-4 times, nothing spawned.
      vevutq3kggic.png