test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fan Films

I'm a huge fan of Star Trek Fan Films (by the way, Happy Birthday James Cawley!)

This story came out yesterday: http://www.zdnet.com/pictures/gallery-14-unofficial-star-trek-series-and-films/
While the guidelines for Fan Films was just announced: http://www.treknews.net/2016/06/23/official-fan-film-guidelines/

Comments

• Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    i am also a fan of the star trek fan films, some of them are not so good being just people in uniform in front of a digital background or where the background is highly out of focus so you cant make out any details o the sets and then again some are set in outside locations so no interior sets are ever seen.
    there is a select few however that are of excellent quality with proper sets created to really give the impression you are watching a professional production and although at times the acting is a little less then you would expect from a professional production its not that bad that it spoils the overall enjoyment of the show.
    notable productions that can be viewed or downloaded for free on youtube are in no particular order - Starship Farragut both animated and live action, Star Trek Aurora animated, Project Potemkin, Star Trek Continues, Star Trek New Voyages, Star Trek Phase II, Starship Exeter and of course Star Trek Renegades.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    tessaravejgantessaravejgan Member Posts: 276
    I watched a few, they were mostly TRIBBLE. I did like Prelude to Axanar. Hmm the only other I remember is some Andorian woman with large TRIBBLE, think it was from renegades or something. I know Tuvok was involved.

Now for the guidelines:

1) Its TRIBBLE
    2) I agree with official part but the rest is TRIBBLE
    3) Don't have a problem with it. After all original stories are what you're there for
    4) Ok, what about self made?
    5) I agree with payment the rest is bs
    6) a) don't agree with it since it limits the, well, quality of a production
    b) fine with that
    c) thats TRIBBLE
    d) ok
    e) fine
    f) fine
    7) thats bs, slap an 18+ tag on it and done
    8) fine
    9) thats fine
    10) doesn't this fall under 8?

I don't know, some parts are reasonable others seem bs.
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    ktonof1aq wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of Star Trek Fan Films (by the way, Happy Birthday James Cawley!)

This story came out yesterday: http://www.zdnet.com/pictures/gallery-14-unofficial-star-trek-series-and-films/
    While the guidelines for Fan Films was just announced: http://www.treknews.net/2016/06/23/official-fan-film-guidelines/

Hmm, reasonable guidelines... max 50k funds, no pros on set. So Axanar is a no go.
    I've always said Axanar was way too good for a fan film. It was certain that Hollywood would go after them.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    The guidelines destroy any future fan film productions. Any of the decent ones either break the time or budget requirements or they involve or are headed up by Trek veterans.

Those studios can eat TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    samt1996 wrote: »
    The guidelines destroy any future fan film productions. Any of the decent ones either break the time or budget requirements or they involve or are headed up by Trek veterans.

Those studios can eat ****.

You're free to not support the IP of CBS/Paramount, but your missing voice is a tiny insignificant blip in their market share. In a sense, even having a subscription to a service like Netflix or Comcast will pay them, eventually, as the agreements shift about.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I have to be a bit nitpicky here. This should have been placed in Ten Forward since it has nothing to do with Star Trek Online in general.

2nd, These guidelines sound like they are in place to stop any future productions from grabbing established Trek actors for the production like Renegades and Axanar has done. I would think under these guidelines, Renegades isn't amateur fan since Renegades is a project spearheaded by Tim Russ, who is a veteran Star Trek actor. Axanar isn't either since they have people who have acted on Trek series. They're only allowed to go ahead since it wouldn't be right to the fans to just kill them.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    the guidelines for Fan Films was just announced
    Another victory of copyright over sense.
    Nice way to deteriorate both studios not-so-good relations with their franchise fanbase even further. Way to go CBS & Paramount.

• Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I watched a few, they were mostly ****. I did like Prelude to Axanar. Hmm the only other I remember is some Andorian woman with large ****, think it was from renegades or something. I know Tuvok was involved.

Now for the guidelines:

1) Its ****
    2) I agree with official part but the rest is ****
    3) Don't have a problem with it. After all original stories are what you're there for
    b) fine with that
    c) thats ****
    d) ok
    e) fine
    f) fine
    8) fine
    9) thats fine

I'm sure CBS is eager to meet with your approval. Expect changes any day now...
  • Options
    the guidelines for Fan Films was just announced
    Another victory of copyright over sense.

And here I thought it was a victory for the lesson you should have learned when you were 4-years old: Don't $*^)!ing touch other people's toys without asking first.
    Nice way to deteriorate both studios not-so-good relations with their franchise fanbase even further. Way to go CBS & Paramount.

Every day the fanbases's self-importance gets kicked in the balls is a good day.

• Options
    nikeix wrote: »
    And here I thought it was a victory for the lesson you should have learned when you were 4-years old: Don't $*^)!ing touch other people's toys without asking first.
    Copyright in its current form is a theft. And I pity anyone, who is not intelligent enough to understand it.

• Options
    tessaravejgantessaravejgan Member Posts: 276
    I watched a few, they were mostly ****. I did like Prelude to Axanar. Hmm the only other I remember is some Andorian woman with large ****, think it was from renegades or something. I know Tuvok was involved.

Now for the guidelines:

1) Its ****
    2) I agree with official part but the rest is ****
    b) fine with that
    c) thats ****
    d) ok
    e) fine
    f) fine
    8) fine
    9) thats fine

I'm sure CBS is eager to meet with your approval. Expect changes any day now...

I know. My opinion is of outmost importance to them.
  • Options
    Man, if only you know the difference between copyright and Trademark law, we could actually have an interesting argument.
  • Options
    Man, if only you know the difference between copyright and Trademark law, we could actually have an interesting argument.

Nerds/Fans not knowing nuance of legal issues? Say it isn't so...
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    If only you knew the difference between true intellectual superiority and a simple napolean complex.
  • Options
    Lol. It seems I was not wrong about the second half...

A trademark, trade mark, or trade-mark is a recognizable sign, design, or expression which identifies products or services of a particular source from those of others,

Copyright is a legal right created by the law of a country that grants the creator of an original work exclusive rights for its use and distribution.

• Options
    ((shrug)) and yet the universe sides with me.
  • Options
    Courtesy of the other thread.
    As you can imagine, I have been asked what I think about the new Trek fan film regulations as released by Paramount/CBS today. I'm glad Paramount/CBS has released guidelines. Play by the rules, which are still generous... I mean look... it's like someone I don't know saying that I can use their Ferrari for a day every week, simply because I love those bitchin' cars. I'd say that's pretty generous. Fan creativity has always been instrumental in keeping Star Trek alive, but it was clear that regulation needed to happen. Raising a million dollars on someone else's property, and proclaiming that you will do it better than they ever could is inviting the person who owns the house to step in and lay down some rules. Hello? The studio has always been very generous, and in my opinion are still being incredibly tolerant. My advice is to not see the 30 minute limit as a boundary, see it as a creative challenge. Roddenberry's pre Star Trek writing gig was Have Gun Will Travel. Those shows were 22 minutes long, and they were lean, mean and to the point drama. Believe me, Paramount/CBS does respect and appreciate the fans, and there are many fans of the fans there.

So yeah, you go right on pining for the wild west. The people who think their work has some value aren't crying about it.
  • Options
    Other thread? Oh yeah, not related to STO. This thread should be moved to Ten Forward. @doctorAllcome ;)
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    samt1996 wrote: »

Those studios can eat ****.

agreed, this makes just about every episode so far from the ones I listed in my last post an infringement of the guidelines for one or more reasons.
    many of these have spent considerable sums building reusable sets for use in their productions and it looks from this as though they will have great difficulty sticking to the guidelines as they stand.

guess theres not much chance that my collection of downloaded star trek fan offerings will be growing any time soon.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    Welp, looks like I'll be watching the new movie and series through third party sources.
    Would never spend money on JJ-Trek in the first place, but I was actually considering getting the CBS subscription to support the Trek Show.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    ktonof1aqktonof1aq Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    Courtesy of the other thread.
    As you can imagine, I have been asked what I think about the new Trek fan film regulations as released by Paramount/CBS today. I'm glad Paramount/CBS has released guidelines. Play by the rules, which are still generous... I mean look... it's like someone I don't know saying that I can use their Ferrari for a day every week, simply because I love those bitchin' cars. I'd say that's pretty generous. Fan creativity has always been instrumental in keeping Star Trek alive, but it was clear that regulation needed to happen. Raising a million dollars on someone else's property, and proclaiming that you will do it better than they ever could is inviting the person who owns the house to step in and lay down some rules. Hello? The studio has always been very generous, and in my opinion are still being incredibly tolerant. My advice is to not see the 30 minute limit as a boundary, see it as a creative challenge. Roddenberry's pre Star Trek writing gig was Have Gun Will Travel. Those shows were 22 minutes long, and they were lean, mean and to the point drama. Believe me, Paramount/CBS does respect and appreciate the fans, and there are many fans of the fans there.

That is so well said. Who said this?
  • Options

Doug Drexler, I'm told. I haven't run it down personally to verify it, but as you say, it has a certain grace to it :).

• Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Since I refuse to watch the JJ series. Until a better Trek movie comes out. And since they are greedy on $ by making you pay twice to see their new TV series. I won't be seeing any of their works. So I will be seeing the fan movies instead.

Unless I find a 3rd party where I can see it for free on the net. Then I will see the new TV series.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User

Doug Drexler, I'm told. I haven't run it down personally to verify it, but as you say, it has a certain grace to it :).

Yes it was Doug that said this on his Facebook page.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    ten forward is the place for this and... OH LOOK theres a thread there on it.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Lets all be quite honest here. The reason the boom has been lowered falls squarely on Axanar's methods and how they presented themselves. If they had not had such an arrgoant attitude in how they presented themselves this never would have happened. I do not blame Paramount/CBS one bit for these new guidelines. Axanar poisoned the well for fan films.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Well even if 'Star Trek Continues' could get themselves down to 30 minute episodes, Cryptic has inadvertently taken out two of the Main Characters from that Series by hiring/involving Vic Mignogna and Chris Doohan in Agents of Yesteryear.

Under #5 of CBS'es new rules they are part of an Official License and therefore cannot be used in the Fanbased production. They are scr*wed now.

Thanks Axanar for pi*sing in the broth.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    Well even if 'Star Trek Continues' could get themselves down to 30 minute episodes, Cryptic has inadvertently taken out two of the Main Characters from that Series by hiring/involving Vic Mignogna and Chris Doohan in Agents of Yesteryear.

Under #5 of CBS'es new rules they are part of an Official License and therefore cannot be used in the Fanbased production. They are scr*wed now.

Thanks Axanar for pi*sing in the broth.

Almost tactical, that.
This discussion has been closed.