test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Borg and the Klingon Empire/Romulan Republic

goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
We see in canon Trek the Borg's efforts to assimilate the Federation. Why would the Klingon Empire or the Romulan Republic be any less attractive to the Borg? Posting this in the Klingon Discussion area even though the Romulans are involved in the topic. In the ST:Voyager episode "Unity" we see visions of Klingon BoPs attacking a Borg cube, etc. We know little about the Borg's efforts vs. the Klingons and Romulans.
klingon-bridge.jpg

Comments

• Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    study and efficient tech. and possiblity of harder then normal to kill drone do to extra organs. I don't see borg turning that down, maybe not on top of list, more so with the likelly higher lost of drone compared to a less aggressive but more "advanced" race. but it probably something they would plan on adding to the collective.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    Well Klingons, as well as the other races of the KDF all have one thing in common. They'll fight to the death. That and with being trained in hand to hand combat, the borg have a hard time dealing with them. I mean it is hard to assimilate a ship of klingons if they ram said ship in to yours.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,379 Arc User
    goodscotch wrote: »
    We see in canon Trek the Borg's efforts to assimilate the Federation. Why would the Klingon Empire or the Romulan Republic be any less attractive to the Borg? Posting this in the Klingon Discussion area even though the Romulans are involved in the topic. In the ST:Voyager episode "Unity" we see visions of Klingon BoPs attacking a Borg cube, etc. We know little about the Borg's efforts vs. the Klingons and Romulans.

It makes sense to assimilate the biggest threat/militarily, economically and scientifically advanced entity first.
    And it is not the Romulan republic or Klingon empire.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    questerius wrote: »
    goodscotch wrote: »

It makes sense to assimilate the biggest threat/militarily, economically and scientifically advanced entity first.
    And it is not the Romulan republic or Klingon empire.
    Possible. It was always a big of a question to me what exactly the Borg wanted from the Federation. What technology did we have they did not? It didn't seem i nthe realm of military technology. Maybe it was actually medicine (and exobiolgy)? After all, the Federation was able to remove Borg implants and they were the ones that could modify Borg nanites to counter the Undine, something the Borg couldn't do themself.

Or maybe it wasn't technology - maybe it was culture. The humans managed to build an Empire without force, by uniting countless of species to work together for their common benefit. An ability, that if the Borg would understand it, could benefit them greatly in their assimilation attemts. No longer forcing people to join the Collective, but convincing them to join? What a powerful force. Maybe the alternate universe where the Borg have assimilated Earth actually has a happy end - the Borg eventually assimilating the ablity to make people cooperate without forcing them to do so, no longer needing brutal assimilation processes, an inelegant and imperfect process.

Though it's odd that the Borg really never cared for cloaking technology. Didn't it fit their military doctrine? Did they know that any species dangerous enough to require them to work with stealth could look through any cloaking tech they could hope to assimilate?

Though in the realm of unrealized plots that never became part of the shows and are thus non-canonical, there was apparently some kind of idea to have the Romulan return be traced back to the alien parasites (actually a part of the Borg). They might have fought their own battles against the Borg (or at least parasite infected Romulans), and now return back their attention to the Federation. It is interesting that the first sign of the Borg was their assimilalation of a bunch of outposts along the Romulan Neutral Zone.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    r5e4w3q2r5e4w3q2 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    It may be that the Borg were looking for Q, not necessarily the Federation.

There are signs that the Romulans are having problems with the Borg in 2364, Q Who implies that the Borg are the ones that have been disappearing Romulan outposts(The Neutral Zone). We really don't know what the Borg thought of Q's intervention, but what happens during Q Who does seems to have triggered a change from the Borg's slower/stealthier movement though the beta quadrant into a full scale invasion.

With STO we learn that the Borg were working there way along borders of the Gorn space in 2390. Only attacking when they can wipe out an outpost/colony without a trace and being blamed on the KDF/Nausicaans pirates. Again we don't know what happened from the Borg's perspective, but the events during the mission Butterfly apparently re-prioritized the Romulans leading to another switch from stealth to full scale invasion.

Wild guessing time, but Q kicking you 7,000 light years in an instant and the Annorax erasing suns might be seen as "unique" to the Borg.

Edit to Add:
    There is also the "wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey" explanation, the Borg are focused on Earth because the Borg told them to.​​
    Post edited by r5e4w3q2 on
  • Options
    schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    The Borg prioritized the Federation over the other two factions because Earth Girls Are Easy.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,991 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    The Federation throughout it's history has been a tough and resilient survivor, every time the Federation has been threatened they've fought tooth and nail to protect what they have.

They are one of the few powers to successfully resist the Borg

NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
      the borg DID assimilate klingons at some point during one of their incursions into the alpha and beta quadrants, because some of the borg freed from the collective via the unimatrix zero glitch were klingons​​
      Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
      An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
      A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
      A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
      "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
      Passion and Serenity are one.
      I gain power by understanding both.
      In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
      I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
      The Force is united within me.