test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is food useless?

jaincejaince Member Posts: 6 Arc User
Ok, I'm level 16, but so far all the food I looted was "50% HP in 3 seconds" or some similar numbers.

Every time a combat ends, I'm so quickly healed, that I'm not really sure when I would eat this food and what the point of it would be.

Is that a remnant from a time when healing was slower? Or does it become more important later in the game, or do foods there have different effects too?

Comments

• Options
    brianduselbriandusel Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    Could just be the way you play too. I don't bother with food or tribbles. The action is never long enough to really worry about it, in my opinion.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I tend to use regen gear so I usually don't have my HP go down low enough to matter IN combat.

Honestly It's NEVER been a useful ground device. It's mostly for fun/making tribbles.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Yes. Unless your a collector of useless things.

If i ever accidentally obtain food i just delete it.
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    I think the idea is to consume it before you get into a fight, to boost HP's, much the same way we use tribbles. For seasonal events, it's fun to feed the foods to breed holiday tribbles; I just made a new Lohlunat tribble for my newest 'toon that way. :)
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    "Is food useless?"

Are you an android or a hologram that you have to ask this question?

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    Most food is useless, however the holiday food tends to have pretty good effects and lasts a very long time compared to the standard stuff.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Standard food is useful if you want to do the chef duty officer chain, which just gets you a title.

Otherwise, you could save up a stack of it to give to your away team boffs, but they'll probably just snack on it out of combat. Mmm, haggis!
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    I'm starting a tribble breeding program where i am making the different varieties of tribbles and collecting them just for shoots 'n giggles. Food is good for that purpose, but then only certain ones.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Every drop has some value, the foods can be sold to all Vendors for half their value just like all the equipment.
    (except to the Ferengi, the cheap big-eared, bass-turds give less)
    I've made 100's of thousands of ECs selling stuff back to the vendors over the last six years.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    As mentioned by others, there are consumables (food and otherwise) that provide a decent bonus to your abilities. Right now, check out the Risian foods if you're looking for a decent buff. I used to keep a list back when PvP was more relevant to the game as a whole, but basically you're looking for the foods that provide buffs rather than healing.

Of course, you should also be sure to feed your player now and again; fainting on the keyboard is generally detrimental to gameplay. :tongue:
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    Most food is worse than useless as tribbles in the inventory will eat it and breed filling up your storage space. Sounds trivial but many fleet do not want tribbles in their fleet banks.

That said the foods with effects that last minutes are useful, some players will use the dosi rotgut to get peak performance for an elite queue, thats more of an endgame item than for levelling.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Consumable/Food

With 4 device spots available you're better off going: health hypo, weapon booster, shield booster, tribble. Later on you might get some nice toy that trumps some of those, and don't throw away the reuseable fire extinguisher if you get one.
  • Options
    ultimatenewbieultimatenewbie Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    As others have said, the 'special food' from the major events (such as the annual Winter Event) are actually pretty good because of the bonus it can give you.

Still, I often find it helpful to give the food items I collect to my bridge officers - they do take a few hits and out of combat heals means they dont use a (more useful) hypo instead.

But yes, it is mostly useless for a player's character.
  • Options
    daviesdaviesdaviesdavies Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    Food provide (important) buff on ground combat,

you must research it but it isnt required (yet) in most ground combat situations.

I only know very little about food,
    I have grown a lot of weed and moonshined some vodka for my own consumption

1) weed = Meow Chag grass

2) vodka => Dosi rotgut

*ofcourse if you are a klingon you can make tribble food
    -> talk to your chef on your bridge, you require a specific type of tribble (can be farmed or bought)
    ( It is time-gated ) kinna like those winter/summer event food but less expesensive

I like Vodka a lot, 20% crit severity
    well place shot can oneshot kill in pvp or elite pve
    I bet all the soviet sniper drink vodka before they head out snipe off spacenazi

but nowadays I like to get stoned, it gives me 2% more crit chance ...

you cant not get drunk and stoned at the same time...

this forum kinna lack of info and certain wiki too... you can not find the crit describtion
    certain things/describtion are (maybe) missing after skill revamp

Mzd8i1c.gif
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    I never use food.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    autumnturningautumnturning Member Posts: 743 Arc User
    Food + Tribbles = More Tribbles

Tribbles + Cannibal Tribbles = More Tribble Carcasses

Tribble Carcasses + Security DOff NPC = Mission for Gold Pressed Latinum on Redside

So yeah ... food is only useless if you're not interested in GPL.
  • Options
    dumas13dumas13 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    I collect booze consumables, largely because many of them can't be replicated, and partly to give my inactive boffs something to carry in those slots. I think the only times I've ever eaten/drunk something are when something dropped and I thought it'd be funny to eat/drink it.

A handful of non-replicable foods will sell for a few thousand EC on the exchange, but that's about as close to useful as I've ever found them.
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    I use it for boffs, if they have empty device slots. If their health level is low after combat, they eat and heal 100% almost instantly. No need to wait for a healer to fix them.​​
  • Options
    metallica#9475 metallica Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    its funny cause its true. I never use food, just hypo of shields