test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Risa is Horrible

This event is horrible. The artifact hunt is completely pointless and there is no documentation to let my know what I need to do. I have been reading about this event for months now and I have to say that given the amount of time STO has been out I feel like I've been shafted.

Comments

• iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    The artifact hunt is there for you to get Lohlunat Favors. You find the artifact, return it to Qwen, you get favors. The entire event is centered around this summer event currency, where you do different stuff for unique items, some of which are time limited.

When you get the artifact finder, you keep hitting your F key every so often and the artifact's location is somewhere ahead if you in between the arc of the glowy red lines. Upon activating the key close enough to the artifact, a mound of sand labelled "Dig Site" will materialize, and you go over and dig it up, then return to Qwen for your favors.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • rjd66rjd66 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    Yea instead of it being fun and kind of relaxing after grinding in STO all year they make it frustrating as hell. It will be empty quick this year I think.
  • creslin#7264 creslin Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I did the searching for about a half hour with no result. To put this in perspective I never got Archeology in wow fully maxed and it was a breeze compared to this.
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    The Artifact Hunt takes less than 4 minutes on average if you're methodical, and that includes switching characters. Ignore the red wedge when you scan. Just pick up the mission, initialize the scanner, then move a bit due South and do it again. If it comes up closer, continue moving South and hitting F every time you can until it changes to farther. If it comes up farther to begin with, go North and do the same thing that I said to do when going South. If it comes up farther in both North and South, then turn 90 degrees either way and start that way, If it comes up farther, go the other way. You can quickly narrow it down to half of the island on you first scan or 2, and get it down to a quarter or less in maybe a minute. Do it while using a Floater to make it go quickly.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    It can be easy or really annoying. The annoying part is how it only marks the red lines on the GROUND, so if you're mid air they're hard to see, and sometimes it will cause your floater to shut off..... I once was investigating the slopes of the volcano and had it shut off and cause me to plummet half a mile down the mountainside! good thing I was wearing power armor...

Also... it'd be better if the lines weren't at a 150° angle....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • zellkarrathzellkarrath Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    I did the Artifact Hunt blind, and completed it on my first try. Its pretty straight forward honestly. If you don't like it though, just do the Horgan hunt, and Dance Off. Go do something else while you are waiting for the events you don't want to do to finish up.
  • rllaillieurllaillieu Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    Before you complain, friendly OP, remember that the Artifact Hunt is, in fact, optional, and thus, no one cares. That is all. Good day to you.
  • thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    Nah risa is good

Counterpoint: it is not, but that's not the event's fault.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    I find the artifact hunt EXTREMELY frustrating. One hunt took me from qwens all the way to the resort then back to qwens and then back out again. It seemed to me that if you cross the line for a different artifact that did not pop for you your scans will lead you toward the one that is not yours, and then you have to refind your line before you can finish it.

It is going to take me a while to figure it out. but I will. I always do and then it will be easy. Either that or the devs will tweak it so its not as convoluted for some people.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
    I'm planning to use a form of triangulation. take a reading to get a heading, then face that direction, move sideways, then take another reading to get a heading, look to see the approximate location the two converge. Go there and you should be very close. The only catch is how vague the heading really is....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,916 Arc User
    Yeah. Took me a few tries to get it right and figure out the red lines. Then when it says I found it I just have to look around for "Dig Site" over a mound of dirt.

It can still be frustrating as hell when the lines start going up the side of a cliff, then turn in another direction. I did it a few times just to say I did do it, but I think from now on I'll use the time of scavenging to relax before the dance contest. That might be boring little clickys but it rewards a hundred favors for about ten minutes of clicking.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    rllaillieu wrote: »
    Before you complain, friendly OP, remember that the Artifact Hunt is, in fact, optional, and thus, no one cares. That is all. Good day to you.

totally agree, with all the other fun stuff to do in the event you can look on the Artifact Hunt as an optional extra that you can do if you want or pass up completely, its not a big deal and hardly worth the effort of even starting this thread.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

after pondering more.... I think there's an aspect of randomness in the direction the scanner points. I just did it and the thing generally lead me west of where I started.... but sometimes it pointed SW, sometimes NW, and sometimes east.... Thus I must conclude that it may or may not actually point directly at the object.

Also the lines interact with terrain in weird ways and sometimes standing near a tree or rock will cause the red lines to be drawn wrong.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    How much favors do you get for the hunt? Because if it's such a pain in the TRIBBLE and dosen't pay properly I'll just stick to sandcastle bulding and horga'hn hunting.
  • hugin1205hugin1205 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    essentially you "Need" 50 Favors to get the cheapest floater- then you don't have to spend EC on renting that Thing anymore.
    Day 1: rent a floater, do the flying high first to get Pearls - after that you can redo the Mission for 20 favs - or do one Hog-hunt for up to 75 favs.

I got about 400 favs yesterday, quite easy and relaxed. And I never really did much on Risa before - sandcastles are rubbish though
    18 characters
    KDF: 2 tacs, 2 engs, 3 scis
    KDF Roms: 3 tacs, 1 eng, 1 scis
    FED: 2 tacs, 1 eng, 2 scis
    TOS: 1 tac
    all on T5 rep (up to temporal)
    all have mastered Intel tree (and some more specs Points)
    highest DPS: 60.982
  • tessaravejgantessaravejgan Member Posts: 276
    This event is horrible. The artifact hunt is completely pointless and there is no documentation to let my know what I need to do. I have been reading about this event for months now and I have to say that given the amount of time STO has been out I feel like I've been shafted.

Summer event is the best event in the game. The artifact hunts needs some work but the rest is easy enough. Look up some youtube videos if you can't figure out by yourself what to do.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,157 Arc User
    Even on holiday I can't escape the Temporal madness.
    zx2t8tuj4i10.png
    Thank you for the Typhoon!
  • farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    I thought this thread would be about Risa's poor framerates compared to other maps. >.>
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    How much favors do you get for the hunt? Because if it's such a pain in the **** and dosen't pay properly I'll just stick to sandcastle bulding and horga'hn hunting.

Yeah too bad they removed that part to make room for the artifact hunt.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    50 if during the Event Time, otherwise 20 outside it. Same as Sandcastles used to be. Now Sandcastles is just 20 as there is no Event time.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    I imagine the artifact hunt is better or worse depending on how good a floater you have. It'd suck on foot, for instance.

...I'll just stick with the Horgahn Hunt. But I've got several characters with superior floaters, and I'm trying to farm eggs to get my alts rep marks. So the hunt's the best option.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Risa isn't for everyone.

I get why people like it, but I personally have hated it for years. It's just personal taste, but I just find the whole thing to be stupid. I pretty much beam down, do 'Flying High' for my daily event currency and then beam out as fast as possible.

Still some people love it, so for that reason alone, I'm all for it. The nice thing about people like me that don't like Risa is that I just simply don't have to go there.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    The artifact hunt i dont find that bad, for me its been pretty quick couple mins maybe each time to find it. Only part im frustrated with is theres an accolade attached to find all 20 and out of 4 times i did it yesterday, 3 of them were the same artifact.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I quite like the new hunt.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    How much favors do you get for the hunt? Because if it's such a pain in the **** and dosen't pay properly I'll just stick to sandcastle bulding and horga'hn hunting.

You get 2 - 5 favors for each idol that you fine. There are a total of 10 of them. You get 75 favors when you turn in the completed mission. Therefore, you can get anywhere between 95 to 125 favors.

Assuming you are using a normal floater and you have multiple captains, you should be able to do the race up to 3 times once you get the hang of it within the 15 minute time limit. A Lohlunat Tribble is highly recommended. Just feed Risian food to a normal tribble.

With a superior floater people can run the hunt 5 times within the time limit. Up to 6 is possible, but you need to be both extremely skilled and lucky at the same time. I was able to squeeze 6 completed hunts a few times last year.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I tried the artifact hunt a few times. It's okay I guess... I have to do it a several more times to determine if it is actually worth devoting time to it or to simply use that time to run CCA a few times on my captains.
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    It's a festering abomination! Ahhhhhhhh! Commence orbital bombardment!
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I'm kinda intrigued by some of the kits though. The hurricane turret sounds fun :).
  • edrogenedrogen Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    Optional map and event is "Optional".
  • neos472neos472 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    bloodyriz wrote: »

Yeah too bad they removed that part to make room for the artifact hunt.​​
    tis not removed you can still build and get favors they just removed it from the rotation of bonus events ;)
    also i might be an odd ball but the first time i did it after a few scans i kinda figured out what it wanted me to do. the closest thing i can reference it to is the pre HG/SS Itemfinder in pokemon
    manipulator of time and long time space traveler