test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How much time do you spend developing a *typical* foundry mission?

rogue6800rogue6800 Member Posts: 213 Arc User
Just a poll to pass the time. Foundry publishing times are ridiculous. Have to sit here for hours while it's publishing so I don't get logged out every 30 mins, so here we go:

For a typical mission, how long do you spend on development? (Hours logged into the editor, rather than time between conception and release)
Post edited by rogue6800 on

How much time do you spend developing a *typical* foundry mission? 23 votes

Less than 3 Hours
4%
sanokskyrat 1 vote
3 to 5
4%
captbara 1 vote
6 to 9
0%
10-20
4%
evilmark444 1 vote
21+
86%
thegreendragoon1rogueeenterpriseduncanidaho11dragonsbrethrenrogue6800psycoticvulcanktonof1aqvoporaksolastriusdrogyn1701thay8472captainhunter1dawnpromiseantman9173starswordclorne12djxprimessssquirreljohnnysnowballagarwaencranmalk#7586 20 votes

Comments

• Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    21+
    You can log out while publishing. The process doesn't require you to stay logged in (although if you want to see the percentage you do).

Anyway, it kind of varies. I have spent dozens and dozens of hours on some missions and much less on others. I did a mission in an evening one time and while it didn't turn out badly, obviously it wasn't as intricate as it could be.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    21+
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    You can log out while publishing. The process doesn't require you to stay logged in (although if you want to see the percentage you do).

Hmm, that's odd... seems to fail for me when I log out...

I'll have an experiment with publishing as some point.​​
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    21+
    Many, many hours. I've never tracked how much I clock into a Foundry mission. Typically I can get one done in around a month and a half as a primary hobby.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    actual time working on the mission? 12 or more. But that's usually spread out over a week or more.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    21+
    About the same time it would take to build a Death Star.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    21+
    I might have to update the poll options. I though quite a few authorswould pump out missions fairly quickly. Then again the serious authors, who make quality missions, are on the forums...
  • Options
    solastriussolastrius Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    21+
    Definitely takes a while to do the right way. If the mission is oriented more towards mindless combat with very little dialogue, it can go quite a bit faster, though.

For me, I'd say I can put out (a section of) a campaign in about 3 weeks time, working on it each morning anywhere between 2 and 5 hours a day. It's good to see that I'm not unusual in how long it takes me to author something.
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    21+
    My fastest-developed mission took me about a month. Others I've done/am doing have taken years. That said, I'm fairly meticulous so it I'll spend a week fine-tuning a map. We did a live build of a mission on Foundry Roundtable in about 5 hours, but it was pretty rough around the edges.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    10-20
    I'm starting to wonder if I underestimated how many hours I spent on my mission, lol, been a year or so since then, was so much work that it's taken this long for me to want to go near the foundry again, lol, and there's still plenty of nitpicks I have for my last mission.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    johnnysnowballjohnnysnowball Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    21+
    Most of the time i spend a few months. The Photonomy period was a bit different. The missions were practically written in Capt.PFDennis' synopsiseses (new word TM) and the maps formed clearly in my mind immediately so i would say it took about a month to make Episode 3. Then i was inspired to create The Alternative - an [Ico] KDF mission, which took 2 weeks, then, for reasons, we needed an episode 4 making for Photonomy, which i managed in just under 2 weeks - again thanks to a pretty fully developed synopsis.
  • Options
    21+
    Depents on the Mission (fastest was finished in 6 hours), but little things can take a long time.

The last two days (14 hours in the foundry) I've spent in a mission, whish is finished since 3 years and have 462 reviews. Only 'cause I want this mission finally to be a spotlight (would be my 4th, all german) and the transporterroom-object is so ugly, that I've made my own (123 details and near the limit on this map with now 460 details).

I think it's save to say I spent on a normal mission about 40 hours on mapbuilding, about 5-10 hours dialogwriting (I love dialogs in whish one answer can change the whole talk. and, of cource, optional dialogs. that takes time without an end :D), normaly about 2 or 3 hours testing with a friend (every little thing, every sentence will be looked at. "oh, this console could be 0.2 more in the room") and finally about 2-3 hours fixing this things.

So, complete for one mission before I post about it in the forums and the fleets about 49 to 56 hours (+- 10 or 20, depents on the mission)

Planing not calculated...
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    21+
    I don't even want to know how many I've poured into the one I'm currently working on.
  • Options
    21+
    I don't even want to know how many I've poured into the one I'm currently working on.

Probably 47 hours ;) Everytime a good answer ^^