test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

is "Flying High event" easy to do?

jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
I'm very keen to do the summer event this year and do a bit of grinding for two of my toons. My delta recruit is still trying to get that ferengi ship from last year and was wandering if this "Flying High event" is easy to do. I'm just not very fond of powerboard racing alougth riding on powerboards is fun just don't have the patiants for racing ^^;

Comments

• Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Very!

Make take a couple of tries to get a hang of it. The course is not that picky and very forgiving.

Dont pay attention to these people say they need an edge to pass or a strategy......if you have normal hand eye coordination then your set.

I didnt read your OP closely, your not doing the power board race for the ship, you fly with a jet pack and fly through hoops to get the ship. Its not a race, no other people with you.
  • Options
    gaevsprivsmangaevsprivsman Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    The sumer event always has been xchanged for the vouchers of flying high, its quite fast, 3 courses, and back, no more than five minutes, unless you are not so good with the arrow keys..
  • Options
    tritan2409tritan2409 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    Yeah once you get used to the Floater jet pack's inertia, its very easy.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,323 Arc User
    Personally i find it very easy, but perhaps it is due to people refusing to use shooter mode that they consider it hard.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    cool thanks I'll give it a shot when it comes :D
  • Options
    dumas13dumas13 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    Yeah, dead easy even with a rented floater. The controls and inertia take a bit of getting used to, especially if you haven't played "A Step Between Stars." That one mission where you and Tuvok are on a station near the Dyson Sphere's star and you have to float around in an EV suit. The first couple days might be a bit rough, but I got the hang of it much faster than the ice racing.
  • Options
    Forget shooter mode, dont listen to those "slow people". Use your mouse and hold down both buttons.

If you need shooter mode to do this then your hand eye coordination is slow and video games arent your thing anyway.
  • Options
    dumas13 wrote: »
    Yeah, dead easy even with a rented floater. The controls and inertia take a bit of getting used to, especially if you haven't played "A Step Between Stars." That one mission where you and Tuvok are on a station near the Dyson Sphere's star and you have to float around in an EV suit. The first couple days might be a bit rough, but I got the hang of it much faster than the ice racing.

oh yeah i remember the dyson sphere's mission :)
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    I would say "yes, VERY easy," but some people still have trouble with the ridiculously simple winter event race, too.
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    Yes use shooter mode for flying high for sure OP. WASD does not work well with 3 dimensions in sto. Its really, really easy to do once you get the hang of it (disclaimer: this'll be my 5th one of these things so i may be biased). Not sure what you meant by grinding on two toons but you only need to do flying high on one - once you get the ship every toon on your acct gets it
  • Options
    You don't need shooter mode people! Doesn't anyone else use mice in this game?
  • Options
    Yes use shooter mode for flying high for sure OP. WASD does not work well with 3 dimensions in sto. Its really, really easy to do once you get the hang of it (disclaimer: this'll be my 5th one of these things so i may be biased). Not sure what you meant by grinding on two toons but you only need to do flying high on one - once you get the ship every toon on your acct gets it

im doing it on two toons cos of the new vorgon ship this year and trying to get the ferengi ship from last year
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    If you have superior floater + lolnuts tribble then it's even fun.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,543 Arc User
    I don't think you will be able to use this year's tokens to get the ship from last year. I believe you will have to use lobi to get 2015 tokens.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    spend the currency to buy the fastest floater... cuts down on time to do this... but you can use the rental one each day if you like... lag hurts but still doable. now that you dont need to do this for each toon cause it's an account wide unlock, best change ever.
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    jim625 wrote: »
    I'm very keen to do the summer event this year and do a bit of grinding for two of my toons. My delta recruit is still trying to get that ferengi ship from last year and was wandering if this "Flying High event" is easy to do. I'm just not very fond of powerboard racing alougth riding on powerboards is fun just don't have the patiants for racing ^^;
    indyshark wrote: »
    I don't think you will be able to use this year's tokens to get the ship from last year. I believe you will have to use lobi to get 2015 tokens.

If I am not mistaken, you not only cannot use the currency from this year to fill last years project, you also will not be able to buy last years currency with lobi this year. It's that whole stupid exclusivity thing.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    It's a lot better than the winter race.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    @officerbatman81

Yes, I use a mouse to aim in shooter mode. It requires no holding down of multiple buttons, makes it nice and easy. In a similar way, I can use the trackpad on my laptop, something that'd be near impossible if I had to hold down both buttons and track at the same time.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    @bergins

Ive NEVER used WASD, ever. Always moused. Is holding down two buttons on the mouse really that difficult? I would say your doing it wrong but, it each his own, i think your making it harder that it is and confusing new people.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    Get the cheapest floater purchase and it's very easy, it requires less hand-eye coordination than the ice race for the Winter event.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    @bergins

Ive NEVER used WASD, ever. Always moused. Is holding down two buttons on the mouse really that difficult? I would say your doing it wrong but, it each his own, i think your making it harder that it is and confusing new people.

Huh. Only ever used WASD on the ground, whether in shooter mode or not. Probably because I've been playing games that way since games have had mice. /shrug Holding down both mouse buttons to move sounds very odd, honestly. And a much more confusing way to do movement. But as you say - to each their own. :)

OP: yes, Flying High is really easy. Especially in shooter mode. Heh. Definitely easier than the winter race, since there's no way to go out of bounds, and there's no way to lose to an NPC. There is a time limit, but it's quite long.

That said, spending some lolwhuts, er, "lohlunat favors", into buying your own floater (as opposed to renting the really crappy one) is worth it.
    Post edited by kiralyn on
  • Options
    You know what OP, try first with mouse using both buttons for a whole day, then next day try using WASD in shooter. Then report back to us. But it all depends what your already using as to what will feel more natural. I assumed everyone was double mousing it.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I'd also chime in with the easy crowd. Even with the EC rentable floater it is not much to do. But then again people reported that they cannot for the life of theirs manage to complete a single lap on the ice track in the winter event and similiar, so some people have genuine trouble to do these kind of "skill games". But there's really nothing to be afraid of. You can practice already, as far as I know you can get to Risa and rent a floater all year round.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    The real reason to get a better floater is if you have alts you plan on doing the "Lolwhut" Hunt with. That's an event that happens every hour for 15 mins, so having a little more speed might get an extra run in during the window.

Otherwise, yeah, buy a floater just so you don't have to run and rent one every time, but the lower end ones are actually more quickly mastered than the high end ones, if I recall correctly. I find shooter mode easiest, but YMMV.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    5 mins is plenty of time so don't worry about trying to go fast through the gates, if a gate is missed it can be easier to stop moving and simply turn your character rather than try flying in a 180 degree arc.

I use shooter mode and then make gentle steering movements on the mouse, I find that much easier than holding down two mouse buttons or working by keyboard alone. Keybord is doable if you absolutely have to eat pizza at the same time.

You can gain/lose height by steering plus, space bar for up, and deactivating the floater with F will send you crashing to the floor, which can be a quicker than steering in a sensible way.

There is also a floater event on risa, where you have to collect 15 favor statues, the favors can be sold on the exchange and pays big ec during the first few days/week, so it is worth getting the hang of floating, current price is about 10k each for 100 and each run gives about 100 due to a random element when discovering each statue - 1m per run, good flyers do 4 runs in 15 mins. The fancy floaters can only be bought with favors, similar for the summer event kit modules, hoverboard things and costumes.
  • Options
    postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    Current price for a single favor is 30k
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    If we are at shooter mode, there is an option for mouselook that you can put on toggle. I usually set it to middle click. With that mouse behaves like the cam in Mass Effect eg. super cool. Try it out.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I've tried it with both shooter mode and with both mouse buttons pressed (when I had a broken left arm) I just say try them both and use what works for you. Personally, I still prefer shooter mode for both Flying High and the powerboard races. YMMV, though.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Easiest is to use shooter mode then press 'R' (or whatever key you have set for "Auto Move Forward"). One-handed, no buttons, just aim at the hoops, it practically flies itself.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Very easy.

Takes a little longer than the ice race in the winter event, but it isn't hard at all.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif