Install Arc
Options

Why did they remove the eye shadow for Vuclan Males

:( Sad Spock face :(

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Fashions move in cycles. A couple hundred years ago, high heels were worn by fashionable men, not women. Male makeup and wigs were a thing as late as the early 19th century.

So, apparently, male facial makeup was in vogue on Vulcan in the 2260s, but by 2410 it's fallen out of fashion. <shrug> Can't really bring myself to care one way or the other, honestly.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Cause They felt like it...?
    <shrug>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    Ohh Efff buddy. do you have to be a TRIBBLE and comment on everything if it isn't something you don't care about. Honestly.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Perhaps They are going to make it an option ONLY for TOS Toons...?
    <shrug>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    I'm not saying it's Iconians, but... well, yeah. You see where I'm going with this.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Emo Vulcans are not logical.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    bergins wrote: »
    Emo Vulcans are not logical.

Guess you've never watch Star Trek ever before spock_blog_0.jpg?itok=1fNPdDco

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    So, apparently, male facial makeup was in vogue on Vulcan in the 2260s, but by 2410 it's fallen out of fashion. <shrug> Can't really bring myself to care one way or the other, honestly.​​
    And heaven forbid some player wanting a character to not be fashionable.

Arbitrary restrictions are arbitrary.
  • Options
    Ohh Efff buddy. do you have to be a TRIBBLE and comment on everything if it isn't something you don't care about. Honestly.
    So, you're saying posting should only be in service of flame wars?​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    nefarius2nefarius2 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    So, you're saying posting should only be in service of flame wars?​​

And you are not starting one by being snarky for the sake of it and belittling the OP's question?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    nefarius2 wrote: »
    So, you're saying posting should only be in service of flame wars?

And you are not starting one by being snarky for the sake of it and belittling the OP's question?
    Nope. At least, if you think so, you've got a pretty low bar for "flame".

Flame wars tend to kick up when the only people posting are those who feel passionately one way or the other about an issue. It's hard to want to insult someone when your feeling is, "Eh, not a big deal."​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    You know, I never considered that "make-up", rather a racial trait, admittedly it wasn't consistent.

Still, it does have a TOS feel to it on Vulcans, at least for me.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    To me it's removing a bit of my toons identity.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    To bother with something so small there has to be a reason for it. And as someone said the reason is likely to differentiate TOS Vulcans from modern Vulcans.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    I'm going to guess that Cryptic wants to limit Vulcan eyeshadow to TOS/AOY Vulcans.
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    The obsession with restricting character customization, despite of most of us wanting more options is really disappointing.

Given all character-customization things are purely cosmetic and have no real bearing on the gameplay or balance, I find it absurd. Mind you, these may be small things, but it sends a wrong message to us. Why is there such a great-deal placed on policing creativity & outfits/assets our characters can and cannot wear?

Shouldn't creativity be something promoted, especially that the game allows it and harms nobody? If someone doesn't like things, they can opt out and not use them, but it should never be a reason to restrict other people's characters from things.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2016
    Well, looks like I can never edit my Vulcan BOFFs face ever again.

Edit: Never mind, looks like it's only for males. Looks like I can never edit a different character's Vulcan BOFF's face again.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    The obsession with restricting character customization, despite of most of us wanting more options is really disappointing.

Given all character-customization things are purely cosmetic and have no real bearing on the gameplay or balance, I find it absurd. Mind you, these may be small things, but it sends a wrong message to us. Why is there such a great-deal placed on policing creativity & outfits/assets our characters can and cannot wear?

Shouldn't creativity be something promoted, especially that the game allows it and harms nobody? If someone doesn't like things, they can opt out and not use them, but it should never be a reason to restrict other people's characters from things.

My thoughts summed up exactly. Please take note Cryptic, this is not a desired trend.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Vulcan eyeshadow was no longer up to the standards of quality for Star Trek Online, and was removed to make the game better.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    casbynesscasbyness Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    Don't worry, I'm sure they'll sell it back to us via a micro-transaction at some point... -_-

Remarkably sexist to remove this and the long nails though. I guess the Cryptic offices have forgotten about equality in the workplace? 1950s character creator tool for a 2010s game set in the 2410s :p
  • Options
    mmps1mmps1 Member Posts: 381 Arc User
    They lost the tie in deal with max factor :(
    "Mr talks down to the peasants."
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User

Exactly. Let men wear skirts / skants, let women wear pants (yes I know they can now :) ), let men have long fingernails and long hair and makeup, let Orion women wear something besides bikinis.

Let boffs and on-duty captains wear every costume that we've paid for or unlocked. If we want to create a Club 47 disco Stu bridge crew then let us.

IDIC.
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    Exactly. Let men wear skirts / skants, let women wear pants (yes I know they can now :) ), let men have long fingernails and long hair and makeup, let Orion women wear something besides bikinis.

Let boffs and on-duty captains wear every costume that we've paid for or unlocked. If we want to create a Club 47 disco Stu bridge crew then let us.

IDIC.
    Pretty much this. I'm on the mindset that aside of my character & crew, it's none of my business as to what other people's characters look like & wear. If someone is merely 'offended' by a character they don't like appearing in their vicinity, they really should understand that they have no right to dictate choices to others. STO as a game has so much potential to promote creativity & IDIC. Many of us would love more options to perk-up our characters in Star-Trek style, with options that are unavailable to us currently.

And if someone wants to create funky-looking characters? I may not like some choices people make... but again; as long as I am not forced to use them on my characters, it's perfectly fine. As you aptly said, IDIC. The very base & premise of Star Trek is promoting diversity. Things like this go against that very premise.

So yes, something like removing eye-shadows from Vulcan males may seem trivial on the first sight, small & insignificant. The principle.. and the message it sends to us is, what makes it much of a bigger issue & why eyebrows are being raised, at least imho.

[10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    I'm not saying it's Iconians, but... well, yeah. You see where I'm going with this.​​

If only you could sell eye liner to the Iconians - you'd be wealthier than the Grand Nagus.

• Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    Vulcan eyeshadow was no longer up to the standards of quality for Star Trek Online, and was removed to make the game better.​​

It was just too fabulous to continue.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I wonder if it was a CBS decision, not a Cryptic one
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Welp. Time to ragequit :D
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    I still think this will be the new lifer perk for TOS, you can make your Vulcans canon and fabulous with eye shadow
This discussion has been closed.