test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Where are the Caitians

been playing Agents of Yesterday on Tribble and the Caitian race is missing, I know for a fact that Caitians officers where in starfleet at this time, I can understand if the devs just haven't added them yet as its a race you buy on the Zen Store and the fact this has just become playable on tribble, but there being no sigh of them at all worries me, Not Adding the Caitians will be a very major issue for me, all my characters are Caitian or Ferasan, and I doute I will enjoy agents of yesterday without them

Answers

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The devs have said they excluded them because of the difficulty of figuring out a proper TOS look for them. Just look at the Tellarites to see what that means...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • dawnspoonerdawnspooner Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    The devs have said they excluded them because of the difficulty of figuring out a proper TOS look for them. Just look at the Tellarites to see what that means...

Lieutenant M'ress, give caitians a mane and/or digitigrade legs, TOS Caitian.
  • excalibur37excalibur37 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2016

Lieutenant M'ress, give caitians a mane and/or digitigrade legs, TOS Caitian.

While debatable if it's considered canon, a TOS Caitian can probably be extrapolated from episodes of The Animated Series. There are also Caitians in the background of some of the movies (one is commanding the station that loses power in The Voyage Home, another is in the gallery during the court martial)
  • theyredeadjimtheyredeadjim Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    It is difficult to show a TOS Caitian, as it never appeared in the original series. Given that the new expansion is a nod to the 50th anniversary of that series, I don't have a problem if the devs want to generally stick to that show's parameters.
  • dawnspoonerdawnspooner Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    It is difficult to show a TOS Caitian, as it never appeared in the original series. Given that the new expansion is a nod to the 50th anniversary of that series, I don't have a problem if the devs want to generally stick to that show's parameters.

then the Devs are brakeing there own word, IF they are copying the TOS show, then there should be NO Female captains, as they where never seen on screen, they where in the Animated show, but not the original, so you shouldent be able to make a female character in agnets of yestorday,
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yeah that line of reasoning about female captains is just dumb.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • excalibur37excalibur37 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Yeah that line of reasoning about female captains is just dumb.

You could argue that the precedent was set with "The Cage". While none were seen to be in command of starships, the fact that you had a female executive officer meant that there were women with command functions in TOS. It would be a wasted effort on the part of Starfleet to have someone in the XO position and not use that practical experience for starship command.

Besides, you'll need to give some leeway for things that were written out due to backward thinking TV executives from the 1960s.

For all intents and purposes, due to the debatable nature of TAS being considered canon, the Caitians were not seen as a species in the TOS universe until the 2280s (Maybe Star Trek III, definitely Start Trek IV)
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    While debatable if it's considered canon, a TOS Caitian can probably be extrapolated from episodes of The Animated Series. There are also Caitians in the background of some of the movies (one is commanding the station that loses power in The Voyage Home, another is in the gallery during the court martial)

It's not debatable at all. TAS is canon, 'reconciled' if you will by the person in charge of CBS licensing in 2007. The only reason people somehow still think it's debatable is that Roddenberry didn't like it, but no Roddenberry is calling the shots for a long time now. TAS is essentially season 4 of TOS.

The excuse to find a fitting look is stupid for a number of reasons. Caitians in the game are already very close, just give them hairstyles to choose from and you're done (digitigrade legs are out of question as they would require a completely new model and animation rigging). But it seems they want to imitate the cheap costume look of the 60s rather than emulate the time period, so you play a TV show (even with film grain) and not the "real" 23rd century Star Trek. A questionable decision, but it's Cryptic's.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    They decided that TAS was not part of TOS, so this is what we got.

I disagree vehemently, but whatcha gonna do...

8a078831031979119efeb2159ed4f3d6.jpg

STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • djmarr1964djmarr1964 Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »

It's not debatable at all. TAS is canon, 'reconciled' if you will by the person in charge of CBS licensing in 2007. The only reason people somehow still think it's debatable is that Roddenberry didn't like it, but no Roddenberry is calling the shots for a long time now. TAS is essentially season 4 of TOS.

The excuse to find a fitting look is stupid for a number of reasons. Caitians in the game are already very close, just give them hairstyles to choose from and you're done (digitigrade legs are out of question as they would require a completely new model and animation rigging). But it seems they want to imitate the cheap costume look of the 60s rather than emulate the time period, so you play a TV show (even with film grain) and not the "real" 23rd century Star Trek. A questionable decision, but it's Cryptic's.​​

pls remember that most decsions to do with the game it needs to be run by CBS before cryptic can put it into the game
    The True King In The North
    edited May 2016
    djmarr1964 wrote: »
    pls remember that most decsions to do with the game it needs to be run by CBS before cryptic can put it into the game

I don't think this has anything to do with it in this case. Zero and Geko already stated that it was discussed among the devs and the majority just voted to not include TAS content in the expansion, CBS had nothing to do with it.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    I realize that Zero's statement about Caitians looking too cartoony (if they were to try and do them like the cartoon) is true, but if you account for the differences in "modern" Caitians, there's no reason they couldn't just take them, maybe streamline them a bit to match the TOS visual style (which I think is the primary concern), and add some long hair options (FINALLY) and call it done.

Obviously there's a demand for this, since so many people have asked for it. I mean, what is this, the 5th or 6th thread on the matter. I don't think anyone is expecting the true TAS Caitians.

But I get the reasons, disappointing as they are.
  • jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    Ther are cat people in SWTOR, forgot their names they look alot more human than the STO Caitians, its just a matter of doing something similar. Maybe that fact was in the decision making.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    jtoon74 wrote: »
    Ther are cat people in SWTOR, forgot their names they look alot more human than the STO Caitians, its just a matter of doing something similar. Maybe that fact was in the decision making.

Cathar, and they looked even less cat-like in KotOR (I had no idea Juhani was supposed to be a cat until I started following the development of SWTOR, lol)
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • thebanjothebanjo Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    They don't even have to make any visual changes. They could just make them playable. You can't even make TOS Tellarites or Andorians without purchasing their outfits to get their facial options.
    I realize that Zero's statement about Caitians looking too cartoony (if they were to try and do them like the cartoon) is true, but if you account for the differences in "modern" Caitians, there's no reason they couldn't just take them, maybe streamline them a bit to match the TOS visual style (which I think is the primary concern), and add some long hair options (FINALLY) and call it done.

Obviously there's a demand for this, since so many people have asked for it. I mean, what is this, the 5th or 6th thread on the matter. I don't think anyone is expecting the true TAS Caitians.

As @thebanjo said, why do they have to make them look like the cartoon? Are we supposed to play in the fictional Star Trek universe or are we supposed to play a TV show? The current caitians are fine, just unlock them. Maybe add hairstyles but even if not, they are already there. Why do they think they have to add technicolor 2D cats to make it "authentic"? That reasoning is just bananas.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    angrytarg wrote: »

As @thebanjo said, why do they have to make them look like the cartoon? Are we supposed to play in the fictional Star Trek universe or are we supposed to play a TV show? The current caitians are fine, just unlock them. Maybe add hairstyles but even if not, they are already there. Why do they think they have to add technicolor 2D cats to make it "authentic"? That reasoning is just bananas.​​

The answer is simple: because people would complain that they don't look like the TAS caitians. As with all things, it's better to not do something and have people who wanted it wish it was there than to do something wrong, and have everyone who wanted it AND everyone who didn't know about it complain. Don't do something, and people will just keep thinking that it might happen later, do something wrong and you get bad rep for it forever.
  • awlaforgeawlaforge Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    They decided that TAS was not part of TOS, so this is what we got.

I disagree vehemently, but whatcha gonna do...

8a078831031979119efeb2159ed4f3d6.jpg

This +1
    edited May 2016

Cathar. Although playable in SWTOR were added after STO's Caitans.
  • megawolf0megawolf0 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    My one little opinion would be to have Caitians available in AoY to those whom purchased them from the Zen store. Then again people might still complain. Also the tied up hair on them I always played it off as their manes just tied behind their heads.
    megawolf0 wrote: »
    My one little opinion would be to have Caitians available in AoY to those whom purchased them from the Zen store. Then again people might still complain. Also the tied up hair on them I always played it off as their manes just tied behind their heads.

That was my suggestion but devs have pretty much nixed Caitians in any shape, form, or fashion.
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    megawolf0 wrote: »
    It's not just the hair, it's the digitgrade legs. Even if they added them (which would be very expensive since it would require new animation and art), they would have to change the existing ones to have them for it to make any sense, which would potentially upset existing owners.

If they don't do it right, then they shouldn't do it at all to avoid bad word of mouth.
    jaturnley wrote: »
    It's not just the hair, it's the digitgrade legs. Even if they added them (which would be very expensive since it would require new animation and art), they would have to change the existing ones to have them for it to make any sense, which would potentially upset existing owners.

If they don't do it right, then they shouldn't do it at all to avoid bad word of mouth.

But they are already there. People noticed the lack of hair and wrong kind of legs already, but we have them to the degree Cryptic is able and willing to implement them. It's the same species. This reasoning still makes no sense.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    ... someone with an Annorax please create a temporal incursion at the center of the Caitian homeworld so this argument can end
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    awlaforge wrote: »

Cathar. Although playable in SWTOR were added after STO's Caitans.

Didn't know that, still like people keep saying they could still have them in. The problem is that they hardly ever mentioned other species as fed members in TOS, but you have to imagine after about a century between the founding of the Federation and TOS there would be a few more species as members. Plus the fact they kept banging on about Rigel IV and Saurian Brandy, ofc they might not have been members then.
  • claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Tellerites looked slightly diffrent in TOS, so Caitians should aswell?
    Great, but Andorians, Humans, and Vulcans have barely changed since the TOS era.

So whats the problem with Caitians?
    The current Caitian model look almost exactly like the TWOK/TOS movies era actors, and even the animated series Caitians (minus the legs and diffrent hair style).

Also those two admiral caitians seen would have been captains or something the TOS series era.
    Caitians are canon, and storywise they were served Starfleet in the TOS era. This game is based on the expanded universe, not just the shows alone.

We can also turn this around and look at how many Andorians or Tellerites did we see in Starfleet uniform in the TOS series? How many Vulcans beside Spock? (Not asking if they were part of the federation, we know they are, asking if they wore a starfleet uniform)
    Cause right now, I don't remember any, they always wore thier own uniforms.

So again, why aren't Caitians available? (and other TOS era federation members for that matter)
    Post edited by claudiusdk on
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • donitiardonitiar Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    The Constitution class starship USS Intrepid was crewed entirely by Vulcans. It was mentioned in "Court Martial" and destroyed in "Immunity Syndrome"
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    donitiar wrote: »
    The Constitution class starship USS Intrepid was crewed entirely by Vulcans. It was mentioned in "Court Martial" and destroyed in "Immunity Syndrome"

Don't bring that up, darnit. You'll make me want a Space Amoeba Queue. :)