test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Figured out the "Rifle bug"

trinitycompletedtrinitycompleted Member Posts: 108 Arc User
edited May 2016 in Tribble - Bug Reports
We're landing in "used" instances, not unlike the old bug where you would warp in to a completed STF.
Devs didn't catch this in their testing because not enough of them were playing at the same time to actually land their character in a "used" instance before it got garbage collected.

This is also why you sometimes don't encounter the bug after changing characters for a while, deleting and remaking the character, and logging off for a while: All of these actions take long enough so that you cannot return to the instance you left. And if you're lucky, the game will create a fresh, new instance for you and everything will be fine.

Some scripts (the whole crashed shuttle bit, for example) appear to trigger from the act of progressing. Other scripts, however, seem to rely on the map's state, and can't be triggered if the mission has ever gone past that point.

Because of this, it's possible to get past the rifle bug by changing instances to a zone that stopped progressing BEFORE that part of the mission for somebody else. But it will only work once; a second person can't come in after you leave and get their bug fixed, too.

For example, if you land on the planet and see, for no reason, Dr. Muller standing next to your shuttle with a phaser rife, that's a leftover from the end state of Tarus II. That means you're going to hit the Rifle Bug. And everything else that relies on the state of the mission/map.

TL;DR: If anybody in the instance before you were progressed the mission BEYOND the rife equip portion, the game STOPS CHECKING for the equip and your mission tracker won't make it restart.
Don't phaze me, bro!
Post edited by trinitycompleted on

Comments

• phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    Eureka! That makes a whole lot of sense. Now, if there were only a way to reset that state and bypass it while we're waiting on the patch to come out - which probably won't be until monday.
  • trinitycompletedtrinitycompleted Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    I imagine this is also why the NPCs sometimes fail to spawn on the Engineering deck.
    Don't phaze me, bro!
  • trinitycompletedtrinitycompleted Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    The nature of the bug makes it damn near impossible for devs to catch it because only becomes obvious when a whole ton of people are playing at the same time, and entering and leaving the zone with all sorts of different timings.

The mission scripts probably worked perfectly every time for them before they posted it to Tribble.
    Don't phaze me, bro!
    spielman1 wrote: »
    The nature of the bug makes it damn near impossible for devs to catch it because only becomes obvious when a whole ton of people are playing at the same time, and entering and leaving the zone with all sorts of different timings.

The mission scripts probably worked perfectly every time for them before they posted it to Tribble.

yeah but that is when you do a simple test and bombard the patch they can do that on there end it is called stress testing the system , it does two things A catches server based issues like this one, and B makes sure the program itself can work while being stressed.

I know very little about software development or even programing, so please enlighten me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't stress testing with "Bots" or whatever method just show that the server can handle the load, but not necessarily reveal the progression problem - i.e. the "used instance" issue - that exists in this build? I'm assuming the bots wouldn't actually be able to progress through the mission.

But again, I'm not a programmer. Just postulating on my very limited knowledge and seeking some clarification on how that sort of stress test works.

Thanks in advance for making me less dumb. :smiley:

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I've changed instances at least two dozen times, landed on both instances where the doc had a rifle and where he did not yet have one, equipping the rifle still never cleared the objective
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    I've changed instances at least two dozen times, landed on both instances where the doc had a rifle and where he did not yet have one, equipping the rifle still never cleared the objective

I don't think the doc is actually supposed to be there when the shuttle first lands, since we don't technically encounter the doc until we bring him the rifle pack.

However, I noticed when I was skipping instances to try and bypass the "rescue the crewman" bug that comes up later in the mission, when I spawned in one instance the Doctor was actually running back towards the shuttlecraft. I'm assuming there's a portion of the mission where we lead him and the other survivors back to the shuttle, and that's what I was witnessing.

So basically, everything is sort of out of whack with this mission. Jumping instances won't necessarily help you complete the entire mission I think. At least that hasn't worked in my experience, your mileage may vary.

Good luck though. I hope you and I and all of us eventually get to see Taurus II in the rearview angle on viewscreens very soon. :D

• kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    well, so far this has helped slightly. I've actually gotten to the point the rifle targets can be shot up (every other time even that wouldn't), but I still can't get the game to accept I'm holding flipping rifle...
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    spielman1 wrote: »
    It causes a lot of issues kinda of a bad thing when a player finds the reason and yet no dev caught it before hand during internal testing.

What would be the point of a public test server if they caught all the bugs the first time? Things would go straight to Holodeck if they were that good. It isn't possible for them to catch everything though, and the test server, along with we the players, can help them track down and find what they missed. :)

A dev has acknowledge the bug here already so it should be fixed in the next Tribble patch or two. o:)
  • zebulongileszebulongiles Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    That worked for me too, just returned to the character select screen, and back to my TOS character a few times until it recognized that the rifle was equipped. And on a slightly related note, crashed to desktop when scanning for heat signatures.
  • admiralross64admiralross64 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    I wouldnt fret so much they will probably fix it next patch.
  • tarcebtarceb Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    We're landing in "used" instances, not unlike the old bug where you would warp in to a completed STF.

if you land on the planet and see, for no reason, Dr. Muller standing next to your shuttle with a phaser rife, that's a leftover from the end state of Tarus II. That means you're going to hit the Rifle Bug. And everything else that relies on the state of the mission/map.

I tried several times to get past the rifle bug. I then found this post and was able to confirm that if when landing on Tarus II, Dr. Muller is standing near the shuttle with a rifle then the rifle bug will happen to you. That means if you want to get past this particular bug, delete the character and try again until happen to get one in which Dr. Muller is not next to your shuttle when landing.

After finally getting an instance without Dr. Muller by the shuttle, I was able to finish the quest and move on to the next mission.
  • admiralwuffadmiralwuff Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    I wouldnt fret so much they will probably fix it next patch.

I bet they would. However, be prepared if it doesn't fix it or only fixes a portion of it. One way or another though, it'll get fixed. And besides, it's Tribble :-) ... This is exactly why they put it on a test server: To have access to a wider range of testers to catch elusive bugs like this. In closing though, I have a feeling they'll git'er done. :-)
  • claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Certainly explains the lack of NPCs sometimes. First time walking around the ship on the tutorial, the halls was full of wandering NPCs.
    Then when I got stuck at the "Equip Rifle" bit on the ground map and remade the character... The 2nd time playing the tutorial, the ship was empty except for the NPCs I needed to talk to.

As well on the ground when I finally got past the "Equip Rifle" first time, there was a bunch of cavemen to shoot along the way to the boss caveman. But another time I played the map on another charcter, there wasn't any along the way, only the boss one.
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Would have been a whole lot simpler if They had just enabled the DROP MISSION button from the get go.
    Ah well...
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    tarceb wrote: »

if you land on the planet and see, for no reason, Dr. Muller standing next to your shuttle with a phaser rife, that's a leftover from the end state of Tarus II. That means you're going to hit the Rifle Bug. And everything else that relies on the state of the mission/map.

I tried several times to get past the rifle bug. I then found this post and was able to confirm that if when landing on Tarus II, Dr. Muller is standing near the shuttle with a rifle then the rifle bug will happen to you. That means if you want to get past this particular bug, delete the character and try again until happen to get one in which Dr. Muller is not next to your shuttle when landing.

After finally getting an instance without Dr. Muller by the shuttle, I was able to finish the quest and move on to the next mission.

I want to say this, but for those who don't want to start over, it is not necessary to delete a character. If the problem is getting into used instances (which seems to be the logical assumption at this point) logging off for a bit (usually about 10-15 minutes) should reset the map for your character and hopefully put you in a new instance.

So if Mueller is there, log off the character for a bit. Log back in, look for him again. If he is there, rinse and repeat. If not, you are good.

I did this, without restarting the character, and eventually (I think it only took me two tries, but your mileage may vary) and was able to continue.

Still Hopefully soon they will just fix the bug and we don't have to worry about it.
  • quentinstonequentinstone Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Thanks, I have deleted and restarted twice because of this, I'll give it a shot.
    edited May 2016
    Nope, no good. No matter what I do, cannot get past the rifle bug. Will shelve all attempts for at least a week or two and try again.
    EDIT
    See most recent post below...
    Post edited by quentinstone on
  • x2064x2064 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Mission: "Bull by the Horns"
    Issue: Missing a survivor whom I am to send to the wreckage to progress the mission.
    (this issue was resolved by logging out and back in next day)
    Post edited by x2064 on
    Ok, finally able to play through both missions. However...
    1. Neither scan area nor long range scan is working.
    2. Unable to purchase Constitution class ship as there is no price listed.
    3. The only 'quick navigation' in space that works is to select your destination from the system list. (Edran system)
    4. Unable to change vessel's name in space (minor, but here).
    5. took a few seconds after reaching it's damage threshold for a certain vessel to communicate.
      Other than that, loved the feel, can't wait for the rest of the listed missions to go live. Oh, and still unable to holster phaser at the firing range.
  • uliwitnessuliwitness Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    Maybe that is just coincidence, but for me the rifle issue did not happen if I waited with picking up the rifle until the NPCs had picked theirs up.
    Cheers,
    -- Uli