test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

film grain effect on TOS side

westtell4012westtell4012 Member Posts: 120 Arc User
anyone else notice a film grain effect on the TOS side trying to figure out how to turn it off but i can't seem to figure it out PLEASE give us the option to turn it off It's annoying
STO Lifetime Member since 2010
Post edited by westtell4012 on

Comments

• Options
    es5001es5001 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    No you are not crazy... and yes an option to turn it off would be welcome.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I really appreciate the idea behind this effect in the "retro" themed games that have used it.

That said, it absolutely annoys the hell out of me, and I always turn it off. Could I get a little toggle option in settings please?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    It also makes the game seem more cartoony than usual.
    And IMO, the yellow-orange lighting on the TOS Bridge is god-awful.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    I agree. I thought I was just the settings on tribble but its really very annoying. I do appreciate the idea but a toggle would be nice for those who want to keep it, if not I'd rather it just go.
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    Isn't that largely because that's how the TOS series was. Lots of bright cartoony colours and low detail costumes that look like they come from a silver age comic book. Mix that with the stylized character creation and it ends up looking cartoony.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Film grain?

Why should the 23rd century or a show from 1966 have film grain? It's not plausible for both of those, it's not 1932 pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    daniela1055daniela1055 Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    +1 for an option to turn this off.

TOS got digitally remastered but STO TOS got the grain effect... mh... :disappointed:​​
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    It has film grain for the similar reason Mass Effect has film grain.

1 - It helps makes it look more authentic (AoY to TOS, Mass Effect to the 80's movies which heavily inspired it)
    2 - TOS models and outfits lack detail in the show. Film grain helps make it not stand out quite so badly. In the case of Mass Effect 1, it was a lovely game, but the graphics weren't that great even for it's time.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    aeonjeanaeonjean Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    Add me to the list that doesn't like the film grain. It's too strong to be enjoyable, both a toggle to turn it off or a toggle to lower the effect would be welcome.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    The only possibility get rid of it is to turn off postprocessing in your graphics settings, "but it'll turn off a lot of other effects as well", according to tumerboy. And yes an option to turn off the grain effect only would be very much welcome.
  • Options
    lexxie1983lexxie1983 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    I appreciate the idea behind that film grain effect. but i don't like it, would like a toggle to turn that off
    n8eym7c.jpg

click for bigger image
  • Options
    rogue6800rogue6800 Member Posts: 213 Arc User
    I concur /tenchar
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    Yes - PLEASE give us an option to disable the effect.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    amishrevolutionamishrevolution Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    I agree as well, if you really want a screen effect to put us in the show, make it black and white with snow since color televisions were terribly expensive and uncommon in 1966. If you want to make a mini-game of it, give us virtual rabbit ears covered in tinfoil to fiddle with periodically to make it possible to actually see the action.

Filmgrain effects are done to death, few people actually like them since it detracts from "being there" and I already disable the other film style effects in the existing engine because it seriously interferes with my integration into the game. PC Gamer actually wrote an article about it over a year ago which I tended to agree with.

http://www.pcgamer.com/six-terrible-graphical-effects-that-need-to-stop/

The purpose of a game is not to make it look like we're controlling the action in a film or television set but to make us part of the story, by forcing filmgrain, lens flare, and cinematic depth of field, I feel pulled out of the action into an uncomfortable juxtaposition between being directly involved and merely watching something I've triggered.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Yep, add me and a fleetmate or two to the "Ugh!" column.

It actually caused a bit of eyestrain. Not a fan, at all.

@evilmark444 : You say you "always turn it off." In this game? If so, please share.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    bergins wrote: »
    Yep, add me and a fleetmate or two to the "Ugh!" column.

It actually caused a bit of eyestrain. Not a fan, at all.

@evilmark444 : You say you "always turn it off." In this game? If so, please share.

I meant I always turn it off in games that use it, like Alien: Isolation (great game, never finished it cause I couldn't take the suspense and fear, lol).

As far as I know there's not yet any way to turn it off in AoY, even turning off post processing as was suggested didn't do the trick, though that did eliminate the blurry effect applied to things in the background.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Add me to the list of those wanting to turn it off. When I first saw it I thought my eyes were messing up again. I have bad eyesight to begin with and the Eye strain started a headache for me.
    Post edited by admrenlarreck on
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    GRAIN HAS GOT TO GO!!!

I like the idea of bringing back the 1960s television effects, but they are VERY annoying in Agents of Tomorrow. There really needs to be an option to turn them On or Off within the Options section. This also goes for the shadowy effect that goes along with it.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    Sorry cryptic, Film grain can be an acceptable novelty for maybe the first minute when you log in to the ToS bridge. But please put a timer on it to quickly shut it off.
  • Options
    cyllus2014cyllus2014 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I was going nuts trying to find the toggle for this. Add me to the list that wants a toggle for this.

Looks like I'll be playing with post processing off.
  • Options
    e1ime1im Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    Funny, how the film grain effect is not present at the only place it actually should be - the dialogue window talking heads.
  • Options
    broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    I'll add my name to the list of those that wants a toggle for this. I think the grain is overdone and detracts from the TOS feel rather than adding to it.
  • Options
    vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    By Grabthor's Hammer, we must have the option to turn film grain off, or just be rid of it altogether. It is infuriatingly awful.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • Options
    broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    As a follow up, my wife (also a STO player) says the grain effect gives her a headache. I agree that it is hard to look at. Makes me want to squint.

When I watch the old TOS episodes (remastered or not), they do not have this grainy appearance. I think it is overkill and unnecessary to get the TOS feel. The uniforms and textures handle it quite well without it.
  • Options
    adwynythadwynyth Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    Choice is good. Please give us an option to turn it off. I won't use it, but we should definitely have it.

But please, everybody stop trying to tell the devs why they were "wrong" to put it in. It's an opinion, and we've clearly got people on both sides of the issue. Some like it, some hate it. Put in the option, and let us choose. And each camp, please respect the other side of the issue.
  • Options
    saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    If it really gives people headache, then it's not only question of "like"....
  • Options
    polstarukpolstaruk Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    While I understand the reason the devs put the grain effect in, I'm in the add a toggle option gang. The only worrying things is they've said it was an effect added directly to the episodes so a general toggle option may not be possible. If thats the case then I support the removal of it.
    Anything that happens, happens. Anything that in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen. Anything that in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again.
    It doesn't necessarily do it in chronological order though.