test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO on Console so why not CO?

jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
Heck they promised this would happen. So if they can do it for STO why not Champions Online.

Comments

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    CO actually would work pretty well controls wise, but it's not as popular I don't think.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    Because poor CO is the least favorite of Cryptic.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    CO is ancient and I don't think very popular. It's basically in maintenance mode dying a slow death last I heard.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    what holds CO back is its F2P model has obstacles in the way. If it were treated a bit more like the other two cryptic games, it'd see a decent spike. (If they made free form archetype more affordable as a one-time purchase for F2P players, and also if they made the transition between F2P and Sub character slots make a lick of sense then I think CO would get more people involved, but as it is, there's a very distinct and klunky separation from the two types of play and the archetype restriction making it just too bothersome).

But no clue if they even want to invest time or resources into doing that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I played CO a bit last year cause I got bit by the super hero bug ... honestly all it did was make me wish the guys trying to bring back CoX would hurry up, it just doesn't do it for me visually or in terms of gameplay, and if it's lack of popularity is any indication I'm not alone.

That hero in my sig is really only there so Cryptic characters can outnumber those from other games.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,281 Arc User
    samt1996 wrote: »
    CO is ancient and I don't think very popular. It's basically in maintenance mode dying a slow death last I heard.

you haven't been keeping up then; over the past 6 months there's been a massive whirlwind of power balancing and additions, bug fixes, content release (including a new epic lair and the recent revamping of cosmic-level enemies to be actual 20-man+ raids instead of soloable like they used to be) and a whole bunch of other stuff...and of course the usual lockboxes, like that should surprise anyone​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    CO is just awful. It is more like a typical Console game with jerky graphics and very cartoon like. Not what I was expecting at all. I really dread whats going to happen to STO with the consoles coming in to our playground. Endless whining how they get stomped by PC players and on and on. Bad move bring consoles into our playground.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    CO doesn't have the same team size or funding pool available that STO does. Let's not forget, while STO is getting full expansions on a regular basis, CO is getting very small updates loaded with bugs. And by updates, I mean "we made these world bosses harder and fixed this bug which only exposed how completely broken the affected system really was."

For all its flaws, I've found I really like CO. However, what I mainly like is how flexible character customization is, both in terms of appearance and in power selection. I'd love to find a "healthier" game with a similar experience in that regard.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Before we kick the CO bashing into full gear ... I'll always love the game. Here's why:

1- The Pen and Paper RPG. I used to play it back in the 1980s.
    2- Jack Emmert started this company because he loved super heroes and wanted to make a super hero MMO.
    3- It's framework was the result of what they would do for a Marvel MMO before that got set aside.
    4- The cartoony part appeals to me in a super hero aesthetic.
    5- The free form power archetype was robust and fun.
    6- It had a lot of aspects of super hero style building that was a great creative outlet for me because I'm a comic book artist and designer.

Ok, now that I've said my piece, continue to bash the game because those above points aside, the game's not been taken care of very well over the years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Isnt CO just abandonware with the odd lockbox? Was the last time I tried to gag it down... and doesn't this belong on CO's forum not STO?
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    CO went down the drain when it went f2p. some games were never meant to be f2p games, co is one of them.

i remember back before the take over, going through the tutorial, then straight into the purple hat gang, then straight into the canadian crisis dealing with kigatilik and various other bosses around the frozen landscape near force station arrowhead. after that it was on to the desert crisis and then the rest of that area leading to a fictional area 51, then it was onto the lumurian crisis then lemuria itself before heading towards monster island and then vibora bay, when i reached vibora and watched the temporal timeline of the bay after the fact and see it breaking up very similiar to what the swtor team did a while later with kotfe and then that man with the contraption and his metal arm took me in time back before therakiel the bright did what he would of done. then there were additional content, the resistance, that mission pack with the qlipthothic realm and there were others.

back then things were far less complicated and i enjoyed it a lot. now, with all the f2p changes and such i just dont care for it any more.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.