test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online: Agents of Yesterday Will You Play the Upcoming Expansion?

bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
Since the new Expansion is upon us, just wanted to get the community sense of interest in the New Expansion.

Personally, I welcome what's coming out and its needed since the PvE queues seem a bit emptier and fleets are looking for more new members.

Season 11.5 did good to STO but perhaps not enough to get more players back. We hope the new expansion will help STO so much more!

Do you think this Expansion will help?​​
Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
Original STO beta tester.

Star Trek Online: Agents of Yesterday Will You Play the Upcoming Expansion? 298 votes

Yes, by all means. Looks like a Great Expansion and Can't wait to play it
60% 181 votes
Probably Yes but only for a short while to check it out.
10% 31 votes
Not sure. Wait and see if there is more to it or "incentives" to stick around.
12% 37 votes
Not really. Storyline should have gone totally another way. Perhaps going forward rather than backwards in time. Where are the Borgs?
9% 27 votes
Don't care. I was hoping for another expansion than Temporal. Where are the Borgs?
7% 22 votes

Comments

• szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    jodarkrider just closed down three different threads to redirect all discussion about the new expansion to the official thread. And here you are, creating yet another one.
  • plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    Where is the "sure why not, it's fresh content and if I don't like it, I'll keep doing what I'm doing because I'm not taking it too serious" option? ;)
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    szim wrote: »
    jodarkrider just closed down three different threads to redirect all discussion about the new expansion to the official thread. And here you are, creating yet another one.

indeed.

@jodarkrider
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    Technically, this is a poll, and as long as another duplicate threads are not created in General Discussion, willing to leave this one up. Let's try to keep this distinctive and nice. :smiley:

Now, to take off my moderator hat - I'll check it out, but I'd rather some other direction where are the Borg; so more on the neutral side, acknowledging that a lot of people like TOS-era and they'll enjoy it, so I'm not gonna trample on that enjoyment and take it for what it is - we need some freshly poured positivity in our community, and if this helps, yay.

Just a sidenote - The poll itself seems a bit negative, and nothing in between, sort of neutral/impartial options seem to be missing... or not very-well presented.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    Of course.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Im disappointed by the lack of KDF/RSE options for this new expansion, and Movie Era stuff to top it all off... that said....

This will be the first time Ive ever bought a $130 pack and I will PLAY THE HELL OUT OF THE TOS STUFF
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    I cant wait looks like fun
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I will certainly play it and I am excited about TOS content. It remains to be seen how it is implemented to determine wether or not I'm happy with it, but I will definitely create a new character or two and play them.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    very well. i can not answer the poll as it is full of bias.

however, if AoY is a separate thing within STO, then most of the problems existing in the main part of the game wont be there in AoY. potentially new grounds. will it bring me back to play? undecided yet, i need more information first.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    No, I hate new content. What's wrong with the old?

I am not sure i like the theme, though. But whatever.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Would've preferred a different Expansion (i.E. Cardassians) ,but sure probably going to make 1 or 2 new toons (i.E. my first Tellarite after 6 years), playing through the new Story-Arc(s) ... but probably less than already existing Romulans,hypothetical Cardassians or different Faction XY, for that matter ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,267 Arc User
    I will wait and see but Kudos to STO...It's really needed. normal-1.gif​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,615 Arc User
    I'm old, so a TOS era setting sounds like fun. Kirk is best captain!

Hopefully they can find an extra wheelbarrow full of cash to at least get a cameo out of Shatner before 2016 claims him too :(
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    not sure about it tbh
    i have been more of a fan of the film and next gen area myself but i dont know maybe it will be good, i guess at least players will finally get an end game connie sort of.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    How can I say anything but YES...
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    not sure about it tbh
    i have been more of a fan of the film and next gen area myself but i dont know maybe it will be good, i guess at least players will finally get an end game connie sort of.

not sure on end game connie yet. could be or not, in any event there is another thread for that discussion on general.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I'm really excited. The trailer gave me goose bumps....which doesn't happen often because I'm hard to impress. LoL

We'll have to wait it out before we can give any real feedback on gameplay.
    But yeah...I'm super excited.

And yeah, I absolutely love TOS, and TNG for that matter.
    So I'm very pleased... No Shatner though is a bit disapointing, but Chekov and Son of Doohan is okay in my book.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    I'm really excited. The trailer gave me goose bumps....which doesn't happen often because I'm hard to impress. LoL

So I'm very pleased... No Shatner though is a bit disapointing, but Chekov and Son of Doohan is okay in my book.

Honestly you sound easily impressed. The trailer was the same stuff in a different wrapper.
    scarling wrote: »

Honestly you sound easily impressed. The trailer was the same stuff in a different wrapper.

indeed, this is why i am looking for more information before i even consider opening the wallet, if i do at all.
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    None of the answer options really fit my opinion.

I never watched TOS as it's from an era well before I was born (I started with Voyager, then Enterprise and saw some DS9 and TNG eventually).
    So I don't really know what to expect. My impression of screenshots from Memory Alpha and Google is that most TOS stuff looks very dated. I assume that what we'll see in-game will be given a more modern look with better graphics etc.

But having some of the greatest Trek veterans provide voice overs (beside mr. Koenig, I assume we'll also hear some lines from Shatner eventually and possibly some archive material from Nimoy and DeForest Kelley) will be pretty awesome either way. The event itself looks pretty amazing too. While new ships are not something I really need, new stuff and new powers to play around with while playing new episodes is never a bad thing.

So overall I think it will be fun to explore what is coming. I'm slightly indifferent to the fact that it's TOS-era, but the loads of new contents that seem to be coming will certainly get my attention :)
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    Of course I'm going to play it. I delete and restart characters periodically anyway, so even if this ends up as little more than a reskinned Delta event I'm in.
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    I'll play it and I'll buy the pack when I can early next month. :)
  • tessaravejgantessaravejgan Member Posts: 276
    Of course I'll play it, am starving for fresh content. Have to say I like the way ships look.
  • x10110100x10110100 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    Of course I'll play through it, although I personally would have prefered a variety of different themes such as the other side of the wormhole or even a "revenge of the borg" theme. But I fully understand why this was chosen being the anniversary and all. I look forward to seeing what it's all about.
    edited May 2016
    risian4 wrote: »
    None of the answer options really fit my opinion.

I never watched TOS as it's from an era well before I was born (I started with Voyager, then Enterprise and saw some DS9 and TNG eventually).
    So I don't really know what to expect. My impression of screenshots from Memory Alpha and Google is that most TOS stuff looks very dated. I assume that what we'll see in-game will be given a more modern look with better graphics etc.

indeed, large consoles with buttons, switches and lights making lots of noise, heading into a turbolift you grab a hold of a switch on the side turn it and state what deck of the ship you want to head to, corridors are spacious, the quarters are not so much, but more than enough room for a bed a few consoles and comm panels, a table and a chair, no replicators, you need to go to the mess hall for that, put your food card into the slot and get nutritional supplements by an unknown means.

the medical tricorder is a large rectangular box like device with some small switches and a small viewer on one side when you flip the consoles seal open, then there is the device that scans you, small thing you hold in your hand and it spins about making a noise.

duonetic circuits were the big craze in this time period, predecessor to the isolinear chip, so ship reactions were a lot more slower, the warp drive was different as well, very large thing with a large opening in the middle, managed the equivilent of warp 7 at most. ships systems for the most part were controlled by the crew, the computer at this time was primitive at best, not much more use than information giving from databanks. Large monitors were also a thing back then with a triangular shape.

so much to see and do. you should watch ToS.
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Hm maybe I will do that. Some day :p
  • talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    I'm a TOS fan, but I'm going to wait and see what it's like before I really decide. I've been consistently disappointed with the new content after LoR so I'm not getting my hopes up.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    Definitely looking forward to it!
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    If I get free slots to start these new characters, of course I will.

But if I have to buy slots...then it would require more careful consideration and knowing what the account-wide benefits are.
  • synfoolasynfoola Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    If they throw a character slot at us, I'll give it a try. But, to be honest, this era has been hashed out to death and I'd rather see new content from other factions in the current era...or maybe the post TOS-film era. This way you'd get your TOS Voice-over fix from Chekov, Uhura, and Scotty but with some fill-in content to bridge the two eras.