test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Epic ground items

So guys I have completed all story arcs and have all the episode ground sets as well as all the reputation ground sets (terran, iconian etc).... so which set would you upgrade to epic this weekend and why please?

I'm undecided but I want to upgrade one for my captain (Rom Tac), and also for my boffs.

thanks
'Shan Tar'

Comments

• Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    While I have been very particular towards DPS on my space builds the past 1,5 years on ground I simply indulge myself more towards simple things like character background and fun one-time clickies of set pieces and such.

Reason is we have much less power creep on ground than we have in space. I think the DPS-width is 2k DPS there while in space it’s more like 257K.

Ground DPSer favor stuff like Advanced Fleet Armors, Undine 2 pice (gun and shiled) or the omega armor. Reason is the higher crit chances/severity you get with that.

Personaly I favor my good old maco set. The one I got 4 years ago. Has a nice shield recharger I use all the time when I find myself in a bad pug.

In short upgrade what you like, there are no bad choices among the stuff you listed. The Iconian one feels like a solid all-rounder there. :)
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,333 Arc User
    So guys I have completed all story arcs and have all the episode ground sets as well as all the reputation ground sets (terran, iconian etc).... so which set would you upgrade to epic this weekend and why please?

I'm undecided but I want to upgrade one for my captain (Rom Tac), and also for my boffs.

thanks
    'Shan Tar'

For tac on the ground omega is an absolute beast. If you have to choose then Omega is your best bet.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    From what I've heard the new na'khul set is pretty great, might be worth a shot.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »

For tac on the ground omega is an absolute beast. If you have to choose then Omega is your best bet.

I agree.

Omega is always my 'go to' for Tactical Captains.

I'm also quite fond of the Terran Ground set and I really like the costume unlock for it. I run that on my 2 Engineers and have been quite happy with it.

Omega is awesome though, it's tried and true and still the king after all these years.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    shivarussell#2096 shivarussell Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    Bargain, Omega it is then.... may do the adapted maco and the new na'kuhl as well

cheers
  • Options
    So, got one Omega set to epic and started on another.... thinking of having 2x Omega, 2x Adapted maco on my boffs with a 2 piece Na'kuhl for my Tac Rom...

Thoughts?
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    So, got one Omega set to epic and started on another.... thinking of having 2x Omega, 2x Adapted maco on my boffs with a 2 piece Na'kuhl for my Tac Rom...

Thoughts?

Sounds good to me. Also salute for upgrading the gear of your boffs. In the latest FE I was under the impression that such a thing begins to pay out.

Since I have 9 toons I care about I focused only on the ground sets of the actual characters but therefore tried to bring them up to epic which feels also roughly at 50% of the involved costs at the moment. Outcome was:

Toon 1: Epic advanced fleet armor, undine shield & gun
    Toon 2: Epic iconian Armor & shield
    Toon 3: Epic omega Armor & shield
    Toon 4: Epic delta armor, shield & gun
    Toon 5: Epic terran armor & shield
    Toon 6: Epic maco armor & shield

Most of the stuff was already at UR but since I don’t have anything better to do at the moment I managed to successfully hinder another 1,3 million dil from ever entering the marked.

Wait!! Don’t tell me we have a ship sale again in coincident with an upgrade weekend?

Noooooo… :D
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    The most versatile set with no "set" boundaries (where you can use any weapon and still benefit largely) is any 2-set (or none) bonus with the Lobi Herald Heavy Combat armor. It's even better than the Omega whether you bring along 1, 2 or 4 BOFFs on a mission because the Omega set shines most when you have 4 BOFFs. However, sometimes you cannot bring that many BOFFs with you and for that reason the Herald Heavy armor is better (CritH and crit severity in mind). In addition, with it you can have your BOFFs use any weapons you like. For example, you can use the Fluidic Assault Dense beam cannon which has an excellent chaining/arching AOE without the constraints of strategic positioning. However, it is expensive to get for four BOFFs but if you have it already you may as well upgrade it.

Other than that I will have to agree with everyone else. If you are looking to get a full complement of reputation gear for a full ground team then the Omega set is tried and true. It's one of the very best offensive (its inherent team buff) and also defensive (because if its inherent dodge) sets out there. Its only flaw is the auto carbine rifle which has a short range and a cone AOE, which is the achilles' heel for any BOFF because they are not smart enough to make the best use of the AOE. The shorter range also forces them to run up to their targets.
  • Options
    Yep... Ship sale!! (theres goes your money) :)

I'm concentrating on my main character atm, afraid the only armour i have on my other 8 alt characters is the episode rewards (na'kuhl now, was jem hadar).

However i have all my reps at level 5 on my main so i have all the ship & ground set items... I will be upgrading all the ground sets at some stage however just going to concentrate on my ground team for the moment.

My ship is already all at epic with full iconian set etc.

o7
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Buy a herald stick (the Advanced Beam Projector in the lobi shop) and upgrade it. Upgrade the Iconian rep armor and shield. Enjoy being a god with tons of health and a weapon that shoots trucks.

:3
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    Lol, Already bought the herald staff and the wrist lance from the lobi store and both upgraded to epic.... your right the staff is awsome.
    Was originally thinking of a 2 piece omega with the staff but may go a 2 piece na'kuhl.
    tbh havent looked into the iconian armour but may change my mind :)

thanks for all the suggestions guys, may get expensive though lol
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    Just be aware that the Iconian rep gear is more defensive than offensive, and some people like to go full offense. As they say though, you do 0 dps when dead.

Anyway the wrist lance was going to be my second recommendation, but you beat me to that, too. I'm curious about the Na'kuhl lobi sword though. Has anyone tried it out, and is it worth upgrading?
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    I forgot to mention that one of the best long range rifles BOFFs can use is the Dyson rifle. Its secondary fire has a very short cooldown and its activation and animation are almost instant.
  • Options
    So for my main... thinking now...

Lobi Herald Heavy Combat armor (not bought yet)
    Lobi Herald staff (already epic)
    Na'kuhl Shield (for the distortion)
    got shield/weapon/AP herald kit as well
  • Options
    A full team of Lobi Herald staff wielding group will totally melt entire forces. Its primary fire is an AOE which you want for BOFFs, and the chaining has a very high chance of flanking... and it does not require careful positioning for optimal targeting. In addition, it is also very long range and that's good for the BOFF AI. They run lower risk of running up to their targets and scattering your ground team.

The Lobi Jemhadar Wide-Area Minigun a strong contender but it requires more careful positioning. Both of these weapons are superb for BOFFs because they do AOE damage on primary fire.

Shield wise you could go with anything you like. The Nakuhl shield seems cool for its distortion but I think the Omega shield is better for its dodge % chance. But I do admit I will have to look into the Nakuhl shield a bit more because I haven't tried a full BOFF team with it.
  • Options
    I've run out of Dill and EC now... so here's how I ended up...

Main Rom Tac now with:

Lobi Herald Heavy Combat armor (epic)
    Lobi Herald staff (epic)
    Omega Shield (epic)

All 4 Boffs now have the full Omega set each, all at epic.

Good idea about all boffs with the Herald staff but I think I've spent enough :wink:

Had some spare EC/Dill left over so I upgraded all my episode reward Jem hadar set to epic as well (because I like it).

Thanks for all the tips guys.

o7 (salutes)
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    All 4 Boffs now have the full Omega set each, all at epic.

Wow..I thought I was hard core giving all my BoFFS Mark XIV Rep sets. Going to epic for your BoFFS is pure hardcore.

If I see you in the Dyson Ground BZ, I'm just going to stand behind you the entire time. :smiley:

Hats off to you sir.. your away team must think you're the greatest captain ever.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    o7
  • Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Great subject, thanks OP. Now that most of my main space gear is epic I too started thinking about ground gear, got one set of all rep ground sets to include both Omega and MACO, also two of the Iconian's. All the mission sets as well. Good to know that as old as the Omega is its still looked upon as king. Most likely will up all the rep gear to epic to include the lobi weapons.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    If you're not wearing a Nukara environment suit, I just don't know what game you're playing.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    tarran61 wrote: »
    Great subject, thanks OP. Now that most of my main space gear is epic I too started thinking about ground gear, got one set of all rep ground sets to include both Omega and MACO, also two of the Iconian's. All the mission sets as well. Good to know that as old as the Omega is its still looked upon as king. Most likely will up all the rep gear to epic to include the lobi weapons.

A full team of Omega gear wielding BOFFs and yourself included gains a total of 12.5% critH and additional 12.5% critD for each individual when you have your full team with you. If the BOFFs then have the Superior Luck trait they gain additional 4.5% critH individually. That's 17% critH. Then throw in any random epic weapon with either 2% critH / 60% critD or 4% critH / 20~40% critD and they have like 19~21% critH with their weapons and 17% critH from abilities (fabrications etc.). Let's just say that it is carnage.

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Just upgraded the Advanced Herald AP Beam Projector to Epic. I had been using that as my main weapon on my Fed Science for months now (except on Defera). I also upgraded the Na'Kuhl set to Mk XIV UR and equipped them to that character.

Interesting fact, the Lobi weapons are much cheaper to Upgrade than Rep Set ones or this Na'Kuhl set. The Advanced Herald Staff was 144k per bar going from Mk XIV UR to Epic, whereas the Na'Kuhl Weapon was 217k per bar just going from Mk XIV VR to UR. This free set has the same costs as Rep Project Equipment.

I think the Omega Set is the only one I don't have on any of my Characters.

To answer the other question posed - the non-SFD version of STO.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    I upgraded my Type 1 'palm' phaser to Epic Mk14. (The Mk 2 one you get from a mission reward.)
    It's pretty sweet. It's wide beam setting has quite a punch. :)
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    Interesting fact, the Lobi weapons are much cheaper to Upgrade than Rep Set ones or this Na'Kuhl set. The Advanced Herald Staff was 144k per bar going from Mk XIV UR to Epic, whereas the Na'Kuhl Weapon was 217k per bar just going from Mk XIV VR to UR. This free set has the same costs as Rep Project Equipment. .
    This may seem slightly off topic but I personally think Cryptic needs to streamline the costs a bit. It's lame that reputation gear costs 300K while other equipment may cost half that. If they want us to spend 300K they could at least guarantee a rarity upgrade at MK XIV.

• Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    I hope that we get a visuals tab for armor like the visuals tab on the ships... would be nice to have the ability to have one armor appearance (assuming you unlocked it) on another armor
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    I hope that we get a visuals tab for armor like the visuals tab on the ships... would be nice to have the ability to have one armor appearance (assuming you unlocked it) on another armor

... wait can't you use the tailor for that with most armors. I mean my kdf tac is equipped with terran and undine gear but is using the honor guard visuals.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    Well replayed a few episodes (Night of the comet to get the Fed Rifle/phaser etc), loved tearing through everyone in 5 mins flat...
    Omega sets on my Boffs was definitely the way ahead lol, got to love the herald staff on my main as well

Haven't laughed so much for ages.

o7
  • Options
    Wait until you give that Herald staff to all four BOFFs. You will absolutely melt anything.
  • Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited May 2016

I upgraded my Type 1 'palm' phaser to Epic Mk14. (The Mk 2 one you get from a mission reward.)
    It's pretty sweet. It's wide beam setting has quite a punch. :)
    Got both to go with the uniforms, thought about doing it a few times for my boff's
    nephitis wrote: »
    tarran61 wrote: »

A full team of Omega gear wielding BOFFs and yourself included gains a total of 12.5% critH and additional 12.5% critD for each individual when you have your full team with you. If the BOFFs then have the Superior Luck trait they gain additional 4.5% critH individually. That's 17% critH. Then throw in any random epic weapon with either 2% critH / 60% critD or 4% critH / 20~40% critD and they have like 19~21% critH with their weapons and 17% critH from abilities (fabrications etc.). Let's just say that it is carnage.

Its on my list now, this is why I love to read the forums, players helping players. Thank you!!
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    not sure if i can justify the herald staff on all my boffs, although it would be cool the 200 lobi cost may be a little bit too expensive.

But as with all things i may change my mind, not going to do any upgrades now until the next UG weekend.

However the tips from this discussion have been very helpfull, from upgrading to the lobi Herald armour to all boffs now in Omega armour... Brilliant.

cheers guys o7