test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Anti-Social Fleet

I am here today asking for any tips, advice and wisdom from your experience of running a fleet.

I've created an alright fleet, you know cool, laid back and helpful people but lately it feels like we're the anti-social fleet and we should just change our name to that and hoard cookies in the basement. It's really hard to keep people in the game. I mean there are two of us recruiting and once in a while we get an awesome social person who thinks we're fantastic and loves the game and we run stfs and missions and get them geared up with fleet weapons and help them tweak their build and they get better at the game then two days later they stop coming on.

I know the larger fleets offer incentives like raffles for the latest ship but I'm pretty much Atlas and all this is on my back. I don't have the resources to continually build up my fleet and offer flashy prizes to keep people keen. I also kind of suck at making energy credits or at least holding onto them since Starbase projects cost like 1.5-2million credits to fill. Our Starbase is the last to be completed and we're at 170k of 250k and I thought for a long time "Oh having a T5 Starbase will be a good hook to get people in here" but lol every fleet has a T5 Starbase so that's not important.

How do you run a fleet? like seriously I am so inept =-(. We have a hand-full of great people who once in a blue moon come together and rock socks but on a day to day it's like a ghost town. It's very discouraging.

Sorry to bring you down, here is a bunny.

() ()
(>.<)
(v_v)o
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Comments

• ankylonankylon Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    You don't just send out prices to new recruits and help them get all the stuff they want from fleet store right away, my fleet never did that. Giving players tips and helping them to adjust their build is good, and having maxed facilities certainly help attracting new members, but they should be paying for their gears. This slow down the pace and prevent them from getting everything at once and force them to stay in the fleet longer, hopefully playing and interacting more with fleet mates. By giving them everything within a couple days, you just exhaust your fleet's "material" usefulness to new recruits before they build a sense of belonging in your fleet.

Honestly though, I am not sure how other people see the fleet mechanics; I don't see my fleet only as a place to obtain the best gears in game, but also a place to socialize with other players on a regular basis, discussing anything in or outside of game, and not just limited to like "how to grind XXXXX in the game fast" or "how do I get 200K DPS?".

Sorry for my bad English.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Salas_Small.png
  • prophecythirteenprophecythirteen Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    ankylon wrote: »
    You don't just send out prices to new recruits and help them get all the stuff they want from fleet store right away, my fleet never did that. Giving players tips and helping them to adjust their build is good, and having maxed facilities certainly help attracting new members, but they should be paying for their gears. This slow down the pace and prevent them from getting everything at once and force them to stay in the fleet longer, hopefully playing and interacting more with fleet mates. By giving them everything within a couple days, you just exhaust your fleet's "material" usefulness to new recruits before they build a sense of belonging in your fleet.

Honestly though, I am not sure how other people see the fleet mechanics; I don't see my fleet only as a place to obtain the best gears in game, but also a place to socialize with other players on a regular basis, discussing anything in or outside of game, and not just limited to like "how to grind XXXXX in the game fast" or "how do I get 200K DPS?".

Sorry for my bad English.

Your English is great. =-) See, we used to do that, make the recruit earn the right to buy from fleet stores but then all these other fleets started offering instant store access to all new recruits in their recruiting messages in Zone chat so we had to adapt to stay competitive and relevant. =-(
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Unfortunately, that's what you get when the game ties gameplay benefits to fleet membership. Players still want the benefits even if they are not otherwise interested in fleets.

You can either cherry-pick members who want to socialize, or accept that most players just want to join a fleet for holding access.
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    We are an established fleet, with a nearly continuously full roster in all of our fleets, and it feels empty at times. Usually there are a few people on chat, and queues can get filled at peak times. However, running events is difficult.

I once ran an event that asked members to use the updated ship costume editor to simply create a cool, colorful ship to get prizes. I offered a lockbox key as a prize just for participating (literally just taking a posting a screenshot to our forums), and prizes around 30 million in value for the top 3 winners. I was disappointed that only 8 people entered. Even with what amounted to free money, it's pretty much easier to herd cats than it is to run an event in STO.

I'm modestly space rich, but no where near space rich enough to run events like some fleets, lockbox/lobi/promo ships galore is beyond me lol. I'd say just go with it, be happy anyone logs in at all lol.
    Post edited by fatman592 on
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    Your English is great. =-) See, we used to do that, make the recruit earn the right to buy from fleet stores but then all these other fleets started offering instant store access to all new recruits in their recruiting messages in Zone chat so we had to adapt to stay competitive and relevant. =-(

Wait, other fleets do that now?

We don't. The Deltas have a first-promotion-rule like quite a lot of others, at a limit of 25.000. Ever since I set that limit I am yet to find anybody complaining about it. And, well, anything is possible here.

We got a lot of long-time players spread across a few fleets (I myself have been playing steadily for about 4 years now), and having that core social group helps out. From my point of view: if it wasn't for having a fleet with some good people, I'd be the kind of player who would log on every now and then for the new content, and then log out again. But I know that when I log in, I have that core social group with the other people there ready to have some chat with, pew pew a bit with, laugh with, stuff like that. What really helped there was having a TS3 server: when people hear each other's voices they can have much better fun has been an observation, and indeed the TeamSpeak people so to say are the core social group.

The point I tried to make here: get a very stable core social group. Say at least 5 people, whom you can rely on to be online. That is the incentive you need to keep your social members to log in: the knowledge and certainty that when they log in, they will get to hang out with some great people.
  • sonicshowersonicshower Member Posts: 216 Arc User
    Offer up your fleet to players with alt characters. Most fleet rosters can't accommodate players with multiple alts, and are usually left looking for fleets to dump their extra resources.
    sh2sxc7.gif
  • sfdrew83sfdrew83 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    Well, I can't promise you much, but I'm looking for a fleet right now and I'm fairly new to the game, only rank 51 right now. I don't plan on ever being that hardcore, and I'm not looking to have stuff handed to me. I really just want people to talk to, and the ability to do all the fleet content, and to have people to do stuff with if we are all online.

I've tried signing up for several "casual" fleets, but in every single case when I messaged the people online who the game tells me can give invites not a single person responded.

So, if you're looking for someone who will be logging in regularly to play at least through the summer but isn't committed to much, then sign me up. I can't promise to have great dps, but I can promise to be friendly and contribute to the fleet if I can.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    Offer up your fleet to players with alt characters. Most fleet rosters can't accommodate players with multiple alts, and are usually left looking for fleets to dump their extra resources.

It's an archaic limitation these days. For example is one MMORPG I tried recently where guild membership applies to all characters of that account. STO could use that, tweaked for faction purposes of course.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    People, including fleet leaders, get less invested in the game as time goes on. I'm way less invested in STO than I used to be, even though I still usually log in several times a week for at least 30 minutes at a time.

From what I've seen, the most continuously successful fleets extend beyond STO. Either they extend their community across other games, or their community otherwise expands outside of the game in some way.

Our fleet formed because we were trying to bring in members of another community we belonged to. We were only partly successful in that, which is one reason why our fleet remains relatively small and not very active.

The other thing a successful fleet does is to promote active cooperation and interaction. Only fleets run by whales can afford to provide incentives all of the time and when the incentives dry up, so does the fleet if they don't have any other reason to keep their members playing STO. The living death of STO PvP caused a number of fleet casualties because without an evolving and supported PvP system those fleets ceased to have any reason to stay alive.

Since you can't go the whale route, OP, you're going to need to dream up means of community engagement that keep people interested in staying connected. Since I kind of suck at that, too, I can't really help you figure out what that might be. I'll be interested to read what others have done.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    It sounds like you've gone about it backwards. You're going to need to have something unique to offer that compels folks to ask to join you, not the other way around. If you build it, they will come.
    /channel_join grind
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    Join a YUGE fleet that is already established. Make new friends, or bring old ones with you. It takes the sting out of the grinding to get to T5 assets. After being in a "family & friends" small fleet for a year, getting to T3 & learning that it is nearly impossible to advance to the higher tiers in this situation, I moved on. After doing nothing more than contributing & being a teensy bit social, I found new friends & advanced farther than I had in the old one. Even spent some time away with no hard feelings; so the good news is the fleets like this do exist. I won't try to recruit you here, but you are welcome to look for me in game so we can talk further if you like.