test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Authentic Klingon Ship Names

Comments

• brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    I named my Klingon Bird Of Prey Hov'chon Bom, which I intended to literally translate as Star Hunter's Song.

The idea is based on a very old Klingon Opera about the first starfarers, written at the time the Klingons began to use warp drive. It tells the tale of those who left the homeworld to find the star Kahless had promised was the place they would find him.

The Song Of The Hunters Among The Stars was the title of the opera, retold in every generation, much as we humans have retold the legend of Alexander so many times its origins have been all but forgotten.

I used a translator, (I forget which one,) so I am unsure how authentic my translation is.
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    farranor wrote: »
    My KDF toon is Gorn, so he uses other names for his ships that a human would likely understand. Latin for reptile species in most cases, or a few with the names of lesser known dragons. "MAQMIGH", which is a temporal destroyer, is the only Klingon name I found which I like. It refers to an approaching evil or dread. I never really got that the Gorn were not in the Federation as human allies since they were supposed to be according to my knowledge.

Technically it's:
    maQmIgh

For Klingon, uppercase and lowercase English/Roman glyphs are used to represent different letters rather than to express grammar.

When you read any of my ship's names on the hull it is in full uppercase block lettering. Why choose names humans can comprehend if they cannot read them? In cases where they are not painted on the hull or are moving too fast, they are "programmed into the transponder" that way. Click on my ship when it flies by, and you can read it quite easily for yourself.
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    brian334 wrote: »
    I named my Klingon Bird Of Prey Hov'chon Bom, which I intended to literally translate as Star Hunter's Song.
    I used a translator, (I forget which one,) so I am unsure how authentic my translation is.

This is pretty much why I started the thread. What you actually wanted was:
    HovwamwI' bom

Unusually for Klingon, there are different words for hunt (noun) and hunt (verb).

@nickodaemus For KDF that's academic really as their ship names aren't painted on like Feds' are.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    My KDF Science captain drives a ship called Sov vo' veS - "Knowledge of War"
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • ronaldmackinnonronaldmackinnon Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    My go-to name for my Klingon tactical officer's ship used to be DungDaj Hegh von, which is supposed to roughly translate to "Flaming Death Trap" but doesn't always work that way, sometimes it's "His top to the Death Trap"?

• nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    lopequil wrote: »
    @nickodaemus For KDF that's academic really as their ship names aren't painted on like Feds' are.
    When you read any of my ship's names on the hull it is in full uppercase block lettering. Why choose names humans can comprehend if they cannot read them? In cases where they are not painted on the hull or are moving too fast, they are "programmed into the transponder" that way. Click on my ship when it flies by, and you can read it quite easily for yourself.

• brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Song.
    brian334 wrote: »
    I named my Klingon Bird Of Prey Hov'chon Bom, which I intended to literally translate as Star Hunter's

This is pretty much why I started the thread. What you actually wanted was:
    HovwamwI' bom

Unusually for Klingon, there are different words for hunt (noun) and hunt (verb).

Thanks, and now I have the name of my next BoP. I guess my current name is translated as Hunting Star Song?
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    I.K.S. K'Akang
  • lyssellyssel Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    One of my alts has a battlecruiser which I was calling Firewind, or I.K.S. qulSuS according to Bing. Would that be correct or not? Either way I have no idea how to pronounce it, except for q being like k or something. Kul-sus, Kool-soos, Kull-soos, Kool-sus?
    My go-to name for my Klingon tactical officer's ship used to be DungDaj Hegh von, which is supposed to roughly translate to "Flaming Death Trap" but doesn't always work that way, sometimes it's "His top to the Death Trap"?
    Heghvon meQ

Literally "flaming (i.e. on fire) death-trap".

@brian334 I called my first BoP the IKS chang mIl ("Chang's Disgrace"). Then the Kor came out so naturally that one was christened the IKS chang mIlHa' ("Chang's Redemption").
    lyssel wrote: »
    One of my alts has a battlecruiser which I was calling Firewind, or I.K.S. qulSuS according to Bing. Would that be correct or not? Either way I have no idea how to pronounce it, except for q being like k or something. Kul-sus, Kool-soos, Kull-soos, Kool-sus?

Yes that's correct. q is pronounced like an English k, S is a bit closer to an English sh and u rhymes with the on in June or prune. Kool-shoosh
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • ronaldmackinnonronaldmackinnon Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Heghvon meQ

Literally "flaming (i.e. on fire) death-trap".
    Thank you kindly.

edited April 2016
    Thanks!
    I was thinking recently, as a result of this thread, that it might be cool to name a ship I.K.S Storm of Quin'lat. Fully translated into Klingon of course. The idea is based on this quote of the Kahless clone in the first episode in which he appears.

KAHLESS: "Long ago, a storm was heading toward the city of Quin'lat. The people sought protection within the walls. All except one man who remained outside. I went to him and asked what he was doing. I am not afraid, he said. I will not hide my face behind stone and mortar. I will stand before the wind and make it respect me. I honoured his choice and went inside. The next day, the storm came and the man was killed. The wind does not respect a fool. Do not stand before the wind, Gowron."

It's not a name I've used, since I never thought to actually find the name of the city he mentioned until today. I doubt this one makes any sense, but Bing gives me I.K.S. quin'lat jev. Seems like maybe I.K.S. Quin'lat would probably get the point across and sound better at the same time though.
    @lyssel
    QIn'lat ghay

That should do for you. I've changed the spelling of the city slightly but I hope you'll trust me on that. "ghay" doesn't actually mean "storm" in the meteorological sense but it's more in keeping with the story. It's more about being rained down upon from up on high than needing a more sturdy umbrella.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    lyssel wrote: »
    I was thinking recently, as a result of this thread, that it might be cool to name a ship I.K.S Storm of Quin'lat. Fully translated into Klingon of course. The idea is based on this quote of the Kahless clone in the first episode in which he appears.

KAHLESS: "Long ago, a storm was heading toward the city of Quin'lat. The people sought protection within the walls. All except one man who remained outside. I went to him and asked what he was doing. I am not afraid, he said. I will not hide my face behind stone and mortar. I will stand before the wind and make it respect me. I honoured his choice and went inside. The next day, the storm came and the man was killed. The wind does not respect a fool. Do not stand before the wind, Gowron."

I always wanted to make a Klingon Q episode (probably with a different Q) where you'd go back in time to actually learn what was really happening here - maybe the man was not just going out of spite, but to save a beloved person, or something like that.

But... I don't think I'd actaully find the tools in there. or the time to do it. But I had some fun dialog ideas, like giving non-Klingon members of the KDF the option to point out that they are not Klingons and the concept of honor is of no interest to them, which Q would always handwave away with stuff like "ah, you're humanoids look all alike" "but you're wearing the uniform"...
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    @mustrumridcully0 I say go for it. If you need a helping hand with some dialogue you know who to ask.
    Q9BWcdD.png
    @mustrumridcully0 I say go for it. If you need a helping hand with some dialogue you know who to ask.
    Yes, but will John DeLancie respond? :p
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    Yes, but will John DeLancie respond? :p
    With a sarcastic remark and a withering stare, naturally. Possibly there will be a mocking chuckle to follow.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    They just added two versions of Kahless to the Foundry. They have the following in their descriptions:

"bortaS blr jablu'DI reH QaQqu' nay'." and "upDujHomwlj luteb gharghmey."

Translation?

EDIT: Ramir has one too: "tlhab 'oS 'lw; HoHwl' So' bathl."

EDIT2: And Trevana: "naDevvo' ylghoS!"
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited April 2016
    They just added two versions of Kahless to the Foundry. They have the following in their descriptions:

"bortaS blr jablu'DI reH QaQqu' nay'."
    Revenge is a dish best served cold.
    and "upDujHomwlj luteb gharghmey."

My shuttle is filled with gagh. (And my nipples explode with delight! ;) )
    EDIT: Ramir has one too: "tlhab 'oS 'lw; HoHwl' So' bath."

Blood is freedom; honour hides killers. It's a palindrome.
    EDIT2: And Trevana: "naDevvo' ylghoS!"

Come away from here! ("Go away" is "naDevvo' yIjaH", I think, but just "yIjaH!" on its own would be more concise.)
    Q9BWcdD.png
    and "upDujHomwlj luteb gharghmey."

My shuttle is filled with gagh. (And my nipples explode with delight! ;) )
    EDIT: Ramir has one too: "tlhab 'oS 'lw; HoHwl' So' bath."

Blood is freedom; honour hides killers. It's a palindrome.
    You mean like Ispwich and Bolton?

• goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Bing has an impressive English to Klingon translator tool. Klingon is among the languages that you can pick. I've entered many of the ship names that have appeared in the shows and movies and there is no particular English word associated with them. For example, the IKS Rotarran. There is no English word that Rotarran translates to according to Bing's translator. I just make something up that sounds Klingon. The IKS Pagh...Pagh translates to Zero. My Fleet K'tinga retrofit is the IKS Ro'dekh.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

goodscotch wrote: »
    Bing has an impressive English to Klingon translator tool.

For simple phrases perhaps, but it has all the problems of machine translation without the benefit of any big reason to work on them. I think it's better to have a human do it, which is why I offered in the first place.

Keep those requests coming folks!
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    If you're still willing, @lopequil, I just got my hands on a Martok-class dreadnought. I've been using weapon names (sloppily translated myself) for my higher-tier Klingon ships, so something along the lines of Greatsword would be good; if your studies happened to include names of Klingon-specific weapons (bat'leth excluded for being a little generic, and d'k tahg for being a bit dinky for a flagship-quality cruiser), that would be great.
  • midarcsothermidarcsother Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Also use the translator tool to give the ships a klingon feel.

Have had a ship called "Long Claw" but I can't remember what the translator told me that was.

Occasionally use this too.
    https://sites.google.com/a/klingonword.org/klv/klv-klingon-standard-vocabulary

Currently in a Nausicaan destroyer that I've called the "Vav Ghabe' Ves"
    @sirmayday batlh'etlh is literally "Sword of Honour". If you want a literal translation of greatsword then 'etlh'a' is it. 'etlh'a' yanwI' is "one who yields a greatsword".

@midarcsother Long Claw is "pach tIq". Heh, small world! I only recently started watching Game of Thrones and Snow was just presented with his sword of the same name as I typed that. By any chance is that where you got the idea?
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • midarcsothermidarcsother Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    @midarcsother Long Claw is "pach tIq". Heh, small world! I only recently started watching Game of Thrones and Snow was just presented with his sword of the same name as I typed that. By any chance is that where you got the idea?

Oddly, it isn't.

A long time ago in an ancient game called dark age of camelot, one of the races you could play in the first expansion was a bestial caveman like creature called the valkyn.
    They were allied with the midgard faction of which I played.
    I chose to make one with the class of hunter, using a hunting bow as their primary mean of combat.
    A long claw, which I took as his name.

Since then it stuck around in my memory of 'go to' names for items or vessels with a more brutal theme.

That's why it turned up in klingon.

A few of my other ships on that character have a 'claw' theme to them.

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    goodscotch wrote: »
    Bing has an impressive English to Klingon translator tool. Klingon is among the languages that you can pick. I've entered many of the ship names that have appeared in the shows and movies and there is no particular English word associated with them. For example, the IKS Rotarran. There is no English word that Rotarran translates to according to Bing's translator. I just make something up that sounds Klingon. The IKS Pagh...Pagh translates to Zero. My Fleet K'tinga retrofit is the IKS Ro'dekh.

Rotarran is the name of a star system according to Star Trek: Star Charts. Probably comes from some other Klingon language that isn't even spoken anymore by most Klingons (rather like a lot of named stars in Earth's sky have old Arabic names, e.g. "Alphecca" from نير الفكّة nayyir al-fakka, meaning "the bright star of the broken ring of stars").

I also used the name mupwI' for my B'Rotlh BOP. It's pretty simple: "hammer".
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    Just out of curiosity, is "SuvwI' Zoey" phrased right?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    Guttural sounds and spitting sounds punctuated with apostrophes and you have authentic names. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns