test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Make low tier ships useful

I have an idea that might scratch a lot of peoples T6- pick a ship. What if Cryptic added a feature to the foundry and mission replay asking you to select a tier? Your selection would adjust your level and stats. It would also adjust the difficulty accordingly. Similar to level matching when teaming.
If you set a man a fire he will be warm for a night. If you a man on fire he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Comments

• Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    Heck, if one is good enough at it, most of the content be done in a T2-3, right now.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    yeah maybe if you have epic everything. 360 BAs aft and 2ba for (though I love my torps) and maybne he hyper fore. could be intersting
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,526 Arc User
    Foundry and episode replay where you can "play as level X" could be fun. It could also disable your traits and scale down your gear to the correct mark level.
  • Options
    farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    Maybe they could add a doff-like system where you could put low-tier ships to use? It makes sense that high-level characters would have a fleet of ships to order around. The ships in this system would get stats based on their tier/rarity, and maybe some special characteristics. Just give it any ol' name, like "Admiralty" or something.
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I've been known to play episodes and foundry missions in T3 ships from time to time. (Except the Vaadwaur missions, those I need at least T4.) And that's just using very rare Mk XII items or lower. If I had even better gear, I'm sure I could manage T2 ships.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,333 Arc User
    yeah maybe if you have epic everything. 360 BAs aft and 2ba for (though I love my torps) and maybne he hyper fore. could be intersting

No, regular green and blue stuff is sufficient combined with a T2/3 ship to complete the content.
    Maybe even with white gear, but i haven't tested that.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    luddimusluddimus Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    Special T1 event, like a shuttle event but to start you need to choose a faction specific T1 ship, Or... varying degrees of difficulty.

Take some of the coding from say top eleven soccer manager to nominate ships for varying level missions so you choose from your inventory which ship would auto select for T1-6 mission types and selected builds so a T1 Nx with the sol torps, ablative armour, quad cannons and defient cloak for example to play a 10 player T1 crystalline event with epic rewards due to the ship level. In turn each tier of ship that gets played a lower maximum reward tier is available.
  • Options
    neos472neos472 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    my low tier ships have been a great asset to me in the form of admiralty i usually look to them first if i need a low cost assignment done or fit in where i would have needed a bigger ship.
    manipulator of time and long time space traveler
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Just allow ship tier upgrades.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    It would be cool if there were a reason to keep them manned and equipped. My favorite is to have them as your Fleet Support, where they arrive to aid you in battle. Others have suggested that we be allowed to use them as we do BOffs on ground missions.

I think they would be an excellent resource if they were allowed DOff rosters of their own, and when we get a new ship we transfer DOffs and BOfs around so that we can crew our ships as we like.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    luddimus wrote: »
    Special T1 event, like a shuttle event but to start you need to choose a faction specific T1 ship, Or... varying degrees of difficulty.

Why "Faction Specific"? I've got a Tuffli (T1 Freighter) that would love to see more light of day than a "hey, I need a store / I'm the one kitted out for higher-speed travel & can transwarp practically everywhere" ship.

And the Cell ship crowd would join me, as their birds are also T1 grade...

Personally, there's days that I think a lot of the "shuttle" events should allow T1s as well - Voth Heavy Figher has as many powers as a T1 does (3, 2 from slots & integrated Hazard Emitters) and most likely just about as much hull once the scaling kicks in...

The only "problem" with using the ships as like fleet support entrants is that I'd rather slap a full wing of T6s instead of T1s...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    dareau wrote: »
    [quote="luddimus;12894847"...The only "problem" with using the ships as like fleet support entrants is that I'd rather slap a full wing of T6s instead of T1s...

I don't see this as a problem, but I'd say if it is, then have the available Fleet Support ships on a cooldown timer of, say, 8 hours, so that you never get the same one twice in any given play session.

It might also be a good idea to limit the responding ship to 'Current Ship Tier -1' so that your T1 ship doesn't call a Dreadnaught in to help against a spawn intended to challenge a T1 ship.

Anyway, it's just an idea, and one Cryptic surely had and rejected, as at the time the Admiralty System was in design there were many other players calling for something like what I proposed. Heck, I might have read such a post before going to bed and woke thinking it was my own idea. I know it's hardly original.
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    A lot of the game's content can be played with low-tier ships. You can get away with using basically any tier in some of the pre-Delta Rising missions, as well as the normal-level PvEs as it is. The roaming red alerts and encouters too.

Just make sure to put on the gear you're using on yor end-game ship, and you're good to go. I regularly use some T4 and T5 ships just for the fun of it, but I've dropped lower and been fine too.
  • Options
    unotetsuunotetsu Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    luddimus wrote: »

Take some of the coding from say top eleven soccer manager to nominate ships for varying level missions so you choose from your inventory which ship would auto select for T1-6 mission types and selected builds so a T1 Nx with the sol torps, ablative armour, quad cannons and defient cloak for example to play a 10 player T1 crystalline event with epic rewards due to the ship level. In turn each tier of ship that gets played a lower maximum reward tier is available.

I kinda like the idea of adding 5 new special slots like the "shuttle slot" in the main ship roster, and then having Tier ships for STFs, maybe resurrect some of the old defunct STFs for those specific ships. and have one of each tier ship free/reclaimable in case you tossed away all of your tier 1-5 ships.

So for instance you have a Tier 1 only STF.

You could only use a Tier 1 ship with that STF, take a STF that is badly neglected like "Starbase 24" and make it into a Tier 1 STF only.

Tier 2 STF would be Federation minefield.

Tier 3 STF would be Starbase blockade, etc...

Maybe make "the Cure Found" be a Tier 4 only STF, with the "Cure Found Advanced" being a Tier 5 only STF.

Make some of the Lower STFs based around the "Player starbases" for fleet marks.

Make some of the mid level ones be for Omega, Rommie and Nukura marks.

Make the High end ones be for Delta / Iconian / etc...

They would have to re balance them as well.

FYI I would make the Kobayashi maru one be a Tier 1 because you are SUPPOSED to be academy level for that one, heh heh...

Maybe even do this for certain Episode missions as well...
    I must warn you, I am quite Isane! I am Grand Duchess of the Abh Empire: Beneej Letopanyu Spoor!
  • Options
    sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    brian334 wrote: »
    dareau wrote: »
    [quote="luddimus;12894847"...The only "problem" with using the ships as like fleet support entrants is that I'd rather slap a full wing of T6s instead of T1s...

I don't see this as a problem, but I'd say if it is, then have the available Fleet Support ships on a cooldown timer of, say, 8 hours, so that you never get the same one twice in any given play session.

It might also be a good idea to limit the responding ship to 'Current Ship Tier -1' so that your T1 ship doesn't call a Dreadnaught in to help against a spawn intended to challenge a T1 ship.

Anyway, it's just an idea, and one Cryptic surely had and rejected, as at the time the Admiralty System was in design there were many other players calling for something like what I proposed. Heck, I might have read such a post before going to bed and woke thinking it was my own idea. I know it's hardly original.

Now you've got me thinking something could be integrated to the Admiralty system (at a surely unreasonable cost in terms of manhours of coding) so that your fleet support calls in ships from your Admiralty roster that are currently available (neither on an assignment nor in maintenance), and that once said ships have finished (you change maps, they get 'destroyed,' or their timer expires, whatever), it enter maintenance in the Admiralty system.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    why not just make some missions for the available tab of the mission journal or as a queued mission that are specifically for lower tier ships, say just 2 missions for each tier 1-4 that can be played solo or in a team of 2 - 5 players with obviously a greater number of enemy ships dependent on the number of players doing the mission.
    no limit on mk level of weapons consoles ect just on tier of ship used for each of the missions so you would need a tier 1 ship to play a tier 1 mission and so on.

they already have a mission that is aimed specifically at small craft and shuttles why not have a similar type of mission aimed at low tier ships.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Making older ships useful would be the TRUE reason to be an Admiral (not just doffing w/ ships). Just like you get an Away team for ground missions; you'd get a team of your old ships for space missions. Sure the AI would be horrible and your fleet would most likely get in your way, but hey, ships! ;)

That'd be much better than jacking up ship stats just so you can fly your T1 Connie around. (aka the true reason for your thread! I see through your deception!) ;)
  • Options
    pullockpullock Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    I love the NX-01 so I bought it and found out it was completely pointless as it could be destroyed if a rihan sailback sat on it, kinda ashamed about that.
  • Options
    unotetsuunotetsu Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    pullock wrote: »
    I love the NX-01 so I bought it and found out it was completely pointless as it could be destroyed if a rihan sailback sat on it, kinda ashamed about that.

I bought it too, and my fed alts all start out in it!

I must warn you, I am quite Isane! I am Grand Duchess of the Abh Empire: Beneej Letopanyu Spoor!
  • Options
    asdflksdfhasdflksdfh Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    I'd like using the Delta Flyer and NX-01.

On my KDF, I'd use most of the BoP, they are nice-looking ships
  • Options
    horizons2052horizons2052 Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    Because novelty! Ugh.
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    At least the admiralty system added some use when a ship gets out-tiered.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    pullockpullock Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    unotetsu wrote: »
    pullock wrote: »

I bought it too, and my fed alts all start out in it!

I only have 1 free character slot, don't know if its worth doing just to use it for a little while.
  • Options
    Low tier PvP

In this scenario, all abilities not gained by a captain of the appropriate level of the low-tier ship is 'greyed out' and not useful in that arena match. Also, any gear is reduced to the appropriate Mark for a vehicle of that tier, with T1 and T2 ships only allowed white quality, T3 allowed no more than green, T4 no more than blue, and T5 no more than purple quality, while at T5U and T6 anything goes. This way a brand new captain who enters an arena in his T1 ship can face off with and be trained by a more experienced player, but the experienced player's captain has nothing the T1 Captain can't get and use.
  • Options
    kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    I think they should just do away with the tier system.