test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Specialization Kit Modules?

So, what kit modules go well with the three careers? I've long been told that engineering and command goes well, but what modules would you all recommend? Same for tactical and science captains.
FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,056 Community Moderator
    Intel seems to synergize a bit with Science and maybe Tac. Also Command is pretty good with Tacs as well.
    But generally I think it doesn't matter what career you are. If a particular Spec ability works for you, it works.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Science goes amazingly well with command. I've never found much of a use for most intel modules.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    One of my friends goes nuts with tripwire drones. And I have to admit that they do seem to be quite useful based on watching my boffs use them. Another one I'd love to use is the holographic decoy skill. It's just hilarious watching them play seek and destroy.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    The problem with holo decoy is how fragile they are and how they are automatically defeated when the target you summon them on dies. it limits it to basically a gag ability.

If they didn't expire when your target was defeated, they would be much more useful.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,333 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »
    Science goes amazingly well with command. I've never found much of a use for most intel modules.

Science does work well with command, while i found intel to be a very useful addition for engineer and tactical.
    Usefulness will differ with various play styles though.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    gradii wrote: »
    The problem with holo decoy is how fragile they are and how they are automatically defeated when the target you summon them on dies. it limits it to basically a gag ability.

If they didn't expire when your target was defeated, they would be much more useful.
    Not sure we're talking about the same skill... the ones my boffs use seem to last until killed..... and actively seek out enemies to kill them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    Intel has sonic supression field - 10 secs of threat reduction plus -80 damage resistance to target when flanking

Lockbox kit Trajectory bending - 10 sec outgoing shots count as flanking with +66% CritD should it crit. Tac module from xindi lockbox, available on exchange being sold-on by people that opened the box, not cheap but sub 10m.

Command kit Hammer and Anvil - +50% flanking damage, teammates/boffs not in a flanking position get huge damage resistance boost.

Lots of tac players use some combo of the above.

Any combo that can keep a mob in one spot followed by area effect damage can demolish weak opponents, combine that with damage buff or damage resistance debuff and its deadly. Something like frictionless grenade + strategic analysis + bombing run/polaron bombardment/exothermic/grenade etc.

If playing eng or sci Delegated devestation to boost high DPS teammates weapons, 4 teammates getting +40% energy weapon damage for 25 sec at cost of 10 sec of not firing your own gun. Stack with other team boots like iconian 3 piece clicky, strategic analysis etc and briefly double the tacs' firepower.
  • Options
    I love combining a cryo grenade with the tac module from Risa. Or a the science equivalents.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Me being a huge fan of Resonant Tachyon Stream makes me an exception to the sci + command rule, I suppose. Between RTS, Medical Tricorder, Vascular Regenerator, and 2 random offensive abilities (currently Gravimetric Traps and Solar Gateway, I have no problem laying waste to things while feeling practically immortal the same time.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    alphahydrialphahydri Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    I actually really like Command kit modules with Tactical captains. My main is a Starfleet Tactical captain and I run Photon Grenade, Motivation, Return Fire, Hammer and Anvil, and Take Cover on him. Aside from Photon Grenade, all of his abilities are focused on buffing his allies and making them more effective, which is something a captain would be doing if he was on the battlefield.

Hammer and Anvil + Take Cover is an incredible defensive combo. All your BOffs/teammates just pop a squat, get a strong damage resistance boost and heal for quite a bit every second. Hammer and Anvil is by far the best Command kit module on ground, seeing as it has an unlimited amount of allies it can buff, and it boosts both your allies' durability and damage output depending on their positioning. Return Fire is basically an "oh s**t!" button that I pop when I or one of my teammates is about to die. Gives everyone a potentially very large ability cooldown reduction and a sizeable damage boost as well. Great for helping others get a life-saving heal out or just packing the hurt onto the enemy before everybody dies.

Though I'm not a fan of the animation, Strategic Analysis is also a great Command kit module to use if you're focusing on team support. Probably works best on Engineers or Science officers, but nevertheless it's a great utility ability. Delegated Devastation can be very powerful if you time it right with the Tactical officers on your team, but it leaves you unable to defend yourself for some time. For Science healers that aren't doing much shooting, this ability would likely synergize very well with them. Generally though, I give Delegated Devastation to one of my BOffs so that they buff my damage. Like Return Fire, Sanctuary is another "oh s**t!" button, and one of only two Command kit modules that doesn't benefit any of your teammates (Coordinate Bombing Strike being the other). I could see it being useful for Science healers on the brink of death, allowing them to basically go invisible and then run off to recuperate themselves or revive a fallen ally.

Regarding Intelligence kit modules, they're kinda hit-or-miss. Resonant Tachyon Stream is very good for shield-tanking and just general survivability, pairs well with Engineers. Sonic Suppression Field works very nicely with Tactical officers. Incite Chaos works very well with Science captains specializing in controlling the enemy, plus it's pretty fun to watch your enemies shoot at each other. If you can spare a kit slot, Harmless can be very useful for Science healers. The rest of them are very situational and in most cases rather gimmicky. Overall, Command kit modules are much more useful and versatile overall for ground missions, while Intelligence kit modules are very situational and are not as applicable to every situation.
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    I use Delegated devastation on my melee character - Does nothing for him but for the team its a pretty nice power which, allied with shattering 2pc really gives the damage counter a good hard nudge as my guy is whaling on a boss-type with his sword

Of course its best on missions were everyone has no option to stick together - otherwise its like herding cats​​
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    What about overwhelm shields? Is it any good? My tac captains often find themselves dying due to not having any shield or health heals. Also, does resonant tachyon stream work if an enemy has no shields?
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    What about overwhelm shields? Is it any good? My tac captains often find themselves dying due to not having any shield or health heals. Also, does resonant tachyon stream work if an enemy has no shields?
    Yup, RTS doesn't need shields on the target to restore yours. Don't be surprised if that gets changed somewhere down the road, though. Also if you want healing, aren't there fleet kits that "borrow" powers from other careers? I think the ones that borrow from sci give you access to Vascular Regenerator.

Edit: My tac character has pretty good ground survivability, thanks to:

1) RTS (purple quality)
    2) Iconian ground armor + shields
    3) As many +hp and +shield traits as possible
    4) The traits that restore health on crit and upon dealing damage.

I don't use the vascular regenerator kit because the +20% antiproton herald kit is just too delicious.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    horizons2052horizons2052 Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    On my engineers, I recently acquired the new lockbox trait that adds physical damage over time to any control abilities. I now use frictionless particle grenade to add another proc. On the plus side it also adds a resistance debuff to affected targets.