test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is the purchase of a Lifetime Membership worth it?

eldest13eldest13 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
I have returned to the game after a relatively long hiatus. Because I continuously return to this game when I am bored, I was wondering if a Lifetime Membership is worth it.
Thanks in advance.

Is the purchase of a Lifetime Membership worth it? 94 votes

Yes
60% 57 votes
No
39% 37 votes

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    For myself? No. For you? It depends.

The boni of a gold subscription and lifetime membership respectively haven't changed significantly since the game launched. So all the reason you didn't get one in the first place still apply, probably.

Things that are unobtainable by non-lifers (they can theoretically be claimed by regular monthly subscriptions as well, but 700+ days of subscribing is more ludicrous than a LTS) are cosmetic (titles, costumes), marginal skill boosts and seven starships (three T5, three T6, one small craft). Respec tokens can be purchased on a on-demand basis for all the others as well as bank, inventory and EC upgrades.

So you just have to decide wether you will make use of all those features and wether it hurts to spend 200 or 300 bucks on it.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • gb3gb3 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    troll poll is trpoll
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,623 Arc User
    It was worth it to me for the character slots, unlocks, respec tokens, ships and shuttle, android boffs, and monthly zen.

The +5% XP gain is also apparently enough to fix shortfalls while leveling up new characters, since I've never run into spots where I had to grind but non-subbies claim they do.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I tend to think it was worth it when I bought it about 1 year after the game's release. I even took a 2 year hiatus in between, and was sitting on a neat stockpile of Zen afterwards, which was a nice feeling. (I spend most of it on the Vesta Triple Pack.)

Little in the subscription is a must-have, though. And the value of the lifetime subscription will of course also depend on how long the game will still be running, but currently it seems in a good shape that could last for a few more years.
    A benefit of the lifetime subscription is that you immediately unlock the Veteran rewards. (Considering that the introduction of Tier 6 also lead to Tier 6 Veteran ships, this could be a gift that keeps giving, provided the game will ever raise the cap again and repeat that.)

In the end, two things to consider:
    - STO is a luxury. Don't spend money on it if you're tight with money at the moment. That's kinda just common sense, of course.
    - Wait for a lifetime subscription sale. I think they happen once or twice per year. There should be no big rush.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    cant vote yes or no for you, if you were a player like me who plays every day since the first day I started then yes a lifetime sub is definitely worth getting but my advise wait till they have the next sale.
    if you play infrequently as it sound like you do from your opening statement then definitely no, you are better off saving you money and staying FTP.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Depends on the timing. Is it worth it to buy it at $299 in year 6? Not to me. Is it worth $199 during the sales? Only if I just found $200 lying around. I started playing in 2013 and had I bought the LTS back then, I wouldn't have regretted it. But I wouldn't buy it now, this deep into the game. If Cryptic/PWE released new LTS benefits more often, then people like me might be persuaded.

Maybe some new LTS exclusive playable races once or twice a year would have persuaded me by now. Maybe more exclusive LTS outfits or costume pieces should have been released periodically. At this point, there's nothing in the LTS that I want or need.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • apulseapulse Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    I am a Life-time Subscriber and I don't regret the choice.

How do I come to that conclusion? Well, I spent around 2000h in Star Trek Online, spent lot of money on Star Trek Online.
    I gain a lot of entertainment on Star Trek Online.
    I don't like free-to-play module, which what I mean, I never play a game in its f2p form. When Star Trek became f2p, I got myself a monthly subscription just to get those perks of it, but then I again, I thought that I would probably save more money in the long term if I go Life-time.

Do I think the Life-time should be improved with more perks? Yes
    Do I regret paying for Life-time? No, I still spend so much time in STO today that is still pays off.

I also bought Legacy of Romulus, but I skipped Delta Rising.
    21ajpqt.png
  • arabaturarabatur Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    After 3 or so years I would say my LTS has paid for it's self. But as others have said, only you can decide if it's good for you
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • eldest13eldest13 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    gb3 wrote: »
    troll poll is trpoll

Would you care to elaborate?

• fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    I am seriously thinking of buying an LTS when it it goes on sale again. I really like the game and I have the money to spend. What is holding me back is the quality of the game. Price/Quality ratio is really great if, and if! you take it as a free to play game. I have played for about a year and not spending a dime here. Fact is, I can take all the short comings for granted as long as it doesn't cost me anything. As soon as I am going to put money in it, price goes up and quality stays the same. As I a matter of fact, quality goes down in perspective, because, when I am paying I raise my standards for the delivered content.

The two main problems I have is the balance issue with game and combat mechanics. Team missions that can be concluded in seconds is just absurd. Second, the game has added some features that belong more in a fantasy game than in this game.

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Not anymore no, though it was back in the subscription only days when I got mine.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • earwigvr6earwigvr6 Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    Sorry, but anyone who buys a lifetime sub this late into the games life is plain stupid.

With the amount of bugs in the game and the tiny amount of content that is added, I can think of no worse way to spend money than on lifetime sub.

Only content that is added is new ships, which you have to buy anyway and with only 500 Zen per month it takes kind of a long time to save up the 3000 zen for a ship.

You are best off going gold for a month or so, unlock the the extra slots etc.... then buy zen as and when you feel a new ship is for you.
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Planning on wasting 400 bucks worth more of time here on the game?
    Then why not but be forwarned...4 to 8 months from now you will see something you really want and you may not be able to afford it because you made this big purchase here.
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    It was worth it to me for the character slots, unlocks, respec tokens, ships and shuttle, android boffs, and monthly zen.
    The +5% XP gain is also apparently enough to fix shortfalls while leveling up new characters, since I've never run into spots where I had to grind but non-subbies claim they do.

I agree, was and still is worth it for me, I still have everyone of those free respecs for my main and alts, they all get it. With the change coming makes it event better then worth it. Also everything else dave says. Its nice.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    After 6 years? Worth every penny.
    Would I buy one today? No absolutely not.

Compared to other MMORPG's STO's subscription is just not even remotely competitive.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • apulseapulse Member Posts: 456 Arc User

Compared to other MMORPG's STO's subscription is just not even remotely competitive.

Did I hear a whisper of doooom? :).

What feels good about STO is that it has a early warning-system.
    Currently Cryptic has Neverwinter, Star trek Online and Champions Online

Neverwinter is the most populated game of the three and Champions Online falls down as the least populated game while STO is in the middle.

Many people here are Doomsday preppers, but we all know that Champions Online is going to fall before Star Trek Online does.
    So intill then, no cause for panic.
    21ajpqt.png
  • vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    If you haven't got lts by now, heck no. Stick to f2p. That's a no brainier for me. When the game launched or soon after, yes but it would be a massive waste now. Buy everything through ingame currency or if you really have to, give money to cryptic for the few items you want. Personally I don't think this game deserves money.
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Hmm...

When I got my LTS s couple summers ago, the same Doooooom-Sayers were out and about, waving their "REPENT, THE END IS NEAR!!" signs on every corner. I have not regretted my purchase, but then, I've not been an "On Again Off Again" player.

So, time wise, I think one can get their value out of the game still. But, if you decide to go do something else for a while again, I bet you'll spend time wishing you hadn't spent the money, which will turn to resentment, which will keep you away from the game.

You'll get no definitive answer here, as the results of the poll are showing currently. You need to decide for yourself if you want to spend the money.

For you to decide if it is with the money, take a look at the benefits. Most have an equivalent (of sorts) in the C-Store. Add up the value of the things you want and see if it is worth it to you.
    T5 Ship 3-Pack: $50
    T6 Ship 3-Pack: $60
    2 Playable Species Unlocks: $10
    500 Zen Stipend: $5 per month until you loose interest for good
    Costume Unlocks, EC Cap, Respecs, Account Bank...

One feature that doesn't have a C-Store equivalent that I use all the time is the XMPP chat, which allows LTS/Gold players to chat from outside the game with those in the game. Some don't use it, but I find it quite nice. Not sure what to put on it for a value, but something else to weigh as you consider.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    Free ships, respecs, costume options, exp point buff, monthly Zen stipend, and more! I've only had mine for maybe a year, but I have no regrets. B)
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,269 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    eldest13 wrote: »
    I have returned to the game after a relatively long hiatus. Because I continuously return to this game when I am bored, I was wondering if a Lifetime Membership is worth it.
    Thanks in advance.

Used to be 5 years ago. Why now? when its close to shut down. I wouldn't get it now since you might not get back the money invested on it. When you see activity going down as it is now...smells like they will pull the plug on this one soon...perhaps a few months or so.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
    apulse wrote: »

Neverwinter is the most populated game of the three and Champions Online falls down as the least populated game while STO is in the middle.

Many people here are Doomsday preppers, but we all know that Champions Online is going to fall before Star Trek Online does.

Please refrain from putting words in my mouth. I never said anything of the sort or even remotely implied.
    I just simply don't believe lifetime subscriptions hold sufficient value to be worth the asking price. If Cryptic did more to add some real value to it, then maybe.

It would have to be things of real value like double the amount of zen or massive permanent discounts on C-Store items, free or at least monthly free respec tokens, etc.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    apulse wrote: »

Please refrain from putting words in my mouth. I never said anything of the sort or even remotely implied.
    I just simply don't believe lifetime subscriptions hold sufficient value to be worth the asking price. If Cryptic did more to add some real value to it, then maybe.

It would have to be things of real value like double the amount of zen or massive permanent discounts on C-Store items, free or at least monthly free respec tokens, etc.

My feelings exactly, during beta when F2P was heresy the lifetime sub held a lot of value. Nowadays, it's mostly just an insanely overpriced playable race purchase.

I do love returning from a break to a mountain of zen though ... but that's not worth the cost either.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I got my lifetime sub less than a year before the game went free to play. It was a very different game back then. No lockboxes, no dilithium and no endgame, and then there was the great content drought.

So for me it's been a mixed bag, lots of changes.

You have to measure the good with the bad and what we've gained to decide.

For me, It's totally been worth it. (getting my lifetime sub)

The game's growing, that's all I could really hope for, especially when it was touch and go before going free to play.
    I'm glad for my small part in helping it.
    storules wrote: »
    Used to be 5 years ago. Why now? when its close to shut down. I wouldn't get it now since you might not get back the money invested on it. When you see activity going down as it is now...smells like they will pull the plug on this one soon...perhaps a few months or so.​​

I don't agree with this statement at all. I still see lots of excitement around this game, new youtube channels and vids devoted to it, podcasts are still being made. Fan made sites like STO academy, I could go on.

This game still has a strong following.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    For the longest time I've been firmly in the no category. Mainly had to do with the cost versus the value you get. But lately I've reconsidered that stance. Then I realize the game is 6 years old. And while I'm not even close to saying "doom" I'm still voting no and am hesitant simply because of age. It's weird.

So like, what makes this weird, is, after 6 years I'm still here, still returning to the game, still getting the itch, still enjoying the game. But ... it's also a pretty old game and so it's not that I think it's going anywhere, it's more of a "if something newer and shinier comes along ..." if that makes sense? I dunno. I have subbed for a long time anyways, so I have a lot of the vet perks. Maybe that's why I'm hesitant?

End of the day though for someone not me, considering this purchase, it comes down to, if you think you're going to play the game for more than 2 years, it's going to be a solid return on your money.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I'd only buy when its on sale at this point.

If you're coming and going... Not sure how much help it would be. 500z a month isn't all that much when you consider, it takes 6 months of accumulation to buy even one c-store ship.
    But it does help.
    I'd say STO goes on for at least another 2 years. Wouldn't be surprised to see it limp into the 10 year range. So I don't think you have to worry about STO shutting its doorsanytime soon.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    STO does have a very strong following, and kind of especially showed itself in full strength when Leonard Nimoy died last year.
    Even right now there are dozens of active instances around ESD and Beta quadrant alone.
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    It was worth it for me... YMMV. Depends on how much time and effort you spend on the game, what sort of stuff you want to get out of it, how long you reckon the game will last, and your own personal financial situation - in short, on a bunch of questions that only you can answer, meaningfully, for yourself. Personally, I reckon I broke even with my LTS about last month (that is, I spent as much money getting it as I would have done on keeping up month-by-month to that point), and I don't regret getting it. But it's up to you, really.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    If you know you'll be playing for at least 3 1/3 more years and you buy the lifetime sub when it's on sale for $200, it'll pay for itself with monthly zen alone.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • gb3gb3 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    STO does have a very strong following, and kind of especially showed itself in full strength when Leonard Nimoy died last year.
    Even right now there are dozens of active instances around ESD and Beta quadrant alone.

this. I wish I was there at the party when he died I would have sat on the head of the statue and thrown party poppers hahaha
  • tm706tm706 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    I purchased mine in in early 2010 and have no regrets. If the ships, unlocks and perks are attractive to you, I'd wait for the LTS sale and snap it up, I wouldn't buy it otherwise though, the Zen stipend essentially means a free ship every 6 months if you are able to save that long, and all of the other perks are far from game breaking awesomeness or "must have".
    Coffee is life.

Message me in-game (@tm706) for help

1st Alpha Quadrant Fleet