test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Romulans in Federation/KDF Ships

Playing a Romulan is interesting in that they must choose a side. To that end I think its perfectly reasonable that these characters who are making such an alignment would at some point be able to command a ship of the faction they chose to defend. In the spirit of that reality, I think its time that Rom characters should be able to also play the ships of the side they decided to align with.

Comments

• Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    You can captain T1-T4 ships of the faction you align with. You don't really think they're going to just trust you with their most advanced warships do you? Besides, Rom ships are superior anyways. Scimitar is the most powerful ship in the game.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    bumperthumperbumperthumper Member Posts: 513 Arc User
    kosh70 wrote: »
    Playing a Romulan is interesting in that they must choose a side. To that end I think its perfectly reasonable that these characters who are making such an alignment would at some point be able to command a ship of the faction they chose to defend. In the spirit of that reality, I think its time that Rom characters should be able to also play the ships of the side they decided to align with.

That would also mean that KDF and Fed would have to have access to Romulan ships.

Seeing how there are so many Feddies out there, how would you feel if they had access to Battle Cloaks, or Enhanced Battle Cloaks built into the ship, rather than sacrificing console slots for it?

If it's power management on the Rommie side you're talking about (warp core vs its redheaded stepchild singularity core), then just use an anniversary ship or possibly invest in a lockbox ship. If it isn't about power management, then I really don't understand why a Rommie would be in a nonRommie ship.

Maybe elaborate why you want this?

A proud member of The Collective ARMADA
    NOT A FAN OF ARC!
  • Options
    kosh70kosh70 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I wouldn't care who had access to battle cloaks etc. The basic idea is that it is completely plausible story wise and allows a player to enjoy the simple pleasure of trying out such a wide array of ships. I don't think the majority of players can be included into those who are maxing out every aspect of their ships/characters but rather just play for fun. If the story didn't support it I could see, but I don't think there is any good reason to suggest that the story wouldn't allow a Romulan loyal to the Empire to command a KDF ship. The same goes for the Fed. Afterall nothing in the game allows for them to change sides later on. Seems to me loyalty is kind of implied and what different does it really matter to the larger scheme of the game who has cloak
  • Options
    I should add that I think its bad enough that players have to abandon interesting and fun to play ships simply in order to have more powerful ones. The upgrading of ships don't go far enough to allow players to experience the variety of ships offered and be able to still use their favorites as time goes on.
  • Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    imagine the admiralty system with all my T5 and 6 fed ships with my mega romulan warbirds...
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    If you wanted to play Starfleet ships, play Fed.

If you wanted to play KDF ships, play KDF.

If you wanted Warbirds, play Rom Republic.

Problem solved.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,526 Arc User
    If you wanted to play Starfleet ships, play Fed.

If you wanted to play KDF ships, play KDF.

If you wanted Warbirds, play Rom Republic.

Problem solved.

Yep, having each faction have unique ships helps to add variety to the game and encourage players to create new characters in the other factions. If Feds and KDF could fly warbirds we'd have even fewer Romulan alts and even less support for the sub-faction from Cryptic.
  • Options
    What is your preference in the ships?
  • Options

Yep, having each faction have unique ships helps to add variety to the game and encourage players to create new characters in the other factions. If Feds and KDF could fly warbirds we'd have even fewer Romulan alts and even less support for the sub-faction from Cryptic.

That's EXACTLY what I'd be worried about.
    NOT A FAN OF ARC!
  • Options
    Myself, I have the scim and enjoy the undine ship I have. I have an assortment and there are moments for the powerful ships but sometimes I just like the play ships to enjoy the variety. There are some I haven't gotten my hands on that I'd like to experience. I have several toons, but speaking for me personally - I'm a disabled vet who just can't put in the time to do all the reputation and extra end game objectives that are needed to acquire ships when they are only for fun and aren't going to be nearly as powerful as the scim, never mind the time and credits required to upgrade weapons and consoles, etc increase that power especially for the more outdated but still interesting ships.
  • Options
    I respect everyones opinion. I was just floating the idea since it doesn't stray from the story.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I respect everyones opinion. I was just floating the idea since it doesn't stray from the story.

I completely understand where you're coming from story-wise. It makes sense. However, the business revolves around the player base. As was stated before, if Rommies had access to Fed/KDF ships, then Fed/KDF would also need access to Rommie ships. It would shift the factions even more than they are now, from a gaming standpoint.

I understand what/why you want it, but it simply wouldn't work, due to this being a business. The shift would actually make players leave, which doesn't help anybody. I would LOVE to have access to Fed/KDF at level 60, but it wouldn't be fair to Fed/KDF if they don't have access to Rommie ships, which brings the argument back to square one.
    NOT A FAN OF ARC!
  • Options
    I get what you're saying. I'll just stick to searching for a nice aquatic ship haha
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

no... hell no.... massive TRIBBLE no... you get t1-4 already. Want something beyond that Roll a KDF/Fed. We dont need something that FURTHER reduces what little uniqueness the Rom fraction has.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,526 Arc User

Sure, and you raise a good point. It might make sense from a story perspective, though in story terms I can see reasons why both the Feds and KDF would only be willing to sell, lend or give their older ships to the Romulans not their most advanced.

Naysayers like me are just pointing out the real-world negative consequences outside of the story :)

• Options
    highlord83highlord83 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    You can captain T1-T4 ships of the faction you align with. You don't really think they're going to just trust you with their most advanced warships do you? Besides, Rom ships are superior anyways. Scimitar is the most powerful ship in the game.

Because all of us Romulans are cookie-cutter tacbabies that live and die by our DPS meters. My Romulan is a Science Officer, and I roleplay a ton, so she sticks to her T4 Ambassador as a matter of story and character. I'd love to get the fleet version for her, so she can be of use in STF's, but nope.
    "So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again."
    -Dedication plaque of the Federation Starship U.S.S. Merkava
  • Options
    aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    thing is, each R&D dept guards its secrets, and while they can get together to dissect a captured Obilisk or such and share the technology, I doubt the Romulan engineers would be willing to give a whole starship to the Federation. They gave a Bird Of Prey to the Klingons once, but it was a gutted/inferior version. So even if your fed could get a Warbird, it wouldn't have the cloaking device hehe :p

And I doubt Starfleet would be willing to give their best/advanced starship to the "enemy" they'd been fighting for the last 300 years either.

Nah, let each faction keep their unique ships with their unique styles. If you want to try different ships, as others have said there are anniversay ships, giveaway ships, lockbox ships, Lobi ships.
    LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • Options
    highlord83 wrote: »

Because all of us Romulans are cookie-cutter tacbabies that live and die by our DPS meters. My Romulan is a Science Officer, and I roleplay a ton, so she sticks to her T4 Ambassador as a matter of story and character. I'd love to get the fleet version for her, so she can be of use in STF's, but nope.

You should be ashamed you're using an Ambassador not a Warbird :P
  • Options
    aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    put it this way, i'm a Romulan Science Captain, and due to there being hardly any Romulan Science Ships, I'd give my kidneys for a good science ship. However, if getting one meant a faction free-for-all, I'd rather go without (and I have my Krenim now so I'm good anyway thanks)
    LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    No.

/thread
  • Options
    highlord83highlord83 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited February 2016

It actually makes sense in the storylines my fleet runs. Kept short, the Republic didn't (still doesn't) have much of a Navy. So when they stumble across a derelict Ambassador class drifting in the Azure nebula, why not as the Feds for salvage rights? It's not like a century-old design will have anything in the way of technological secrets, and the Republic needs hulls. Since its in no way a ship of the line anymore, it can be commanded by one of the more eccrentirc and less combative officers in the fleet and used in rear-echelon support to free up a more advanced vessel.

One round of refurbishing and basic upgrades later, it's being handed over to a Science Officer that's barely military at all outside of learning how to use a pistol, crewed by well-meaning misfits, and used for a mobile hospital/repair vessel/fleet transport in a support role. The feddies agree, so long as it kept the name it was christened with (it being bad luck to rename a ship after it's maiden voyage.) So the Romulan Republic Navy is now the proud owner and operator of the R.R.W. Mary Seacole with the ship captained by a young woman that has more in common with Belldandy than anyone even remotely military. Up to and including greeting people with hot tea and hugs.
    "So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again."
    -Dedication plaque of the Federation Starship U.S.S. Merkava
  • Options

It actually makes sense in the storylines my fleet runs. Kept short, the Republic didn't (still doesn't) have much of a Navy. So when they stumble across a derelict Ambassador class drifting in the Azure nebula, why not as the Feds for salvage rights? It's not like a century-old design will have anything in the way of technological secrets, and the Republic needs hulls. Since its in no way a ship of the line anymore, it can be commanded by one of the more eccrentirc and less combative officers in the fleet and used in rear-echelon support to free up a more advanced vessel.

Cue it being handed over to a Science Officer that's barely military at all outside of learning how to use a pistol, let her crew it with well-meaning misfits, and use it for a mobile hospital/repair vessel/fleet transport in a support role. The feddies let it slide, so long as it kept the name it was christened with (it being bad luck to rename a ship after it's maiden voyage.) So the Romulan Republic Navy is now the proud owner and operator of the R.R.W. Mary Seacole.

From a RP perspective like that, my Romulans would still sooner fly a Dhelan or T'liss. Sure salvage the Ambassador hull and use it to build a nice warbird. Let us not forget, the IN GAME plot has the True Way producing ships with a few mines, industrial replicators, and no actual fleet facilities. If the friggin spoonhead equivalent of the Taliban can do that, I am pretty sure the Republic can as well. :P

That said its good RP but I can't see many Romulans in universe accepting a Federation derelict over even an antique romulan design. Their pride is all many have left, and IMO, they would fly Romulan designs. Sure your character could be the 'odd one' that's what being the PC is all about, but I refer to the people salvaging that hull and deciding what to do with it.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,333 Arc User

The romulns have that ship for 50 years already. It's as much part of their arsenal as any warbird.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    I agree that aligned Romulans should be able to pilot the faction ships aligned above T4, however, PWE/Cryptic's business model is such that they want you to buy their specialized Romulan assortments instead, so they won't unlock it.

The root of the problem is that instead of making Romulans available as a playable race under the Fed/KDF factions, they instead branched out into a separate faction which opened a new can of worms- if they had made the aligned faction ships playable then Fed/KDF would be whining about not being able to pilot Romulan Warbirds as well.

So now, we have a fractured faction system and the only two options for PWE/Cryptic at this point are to either tuck the Romulans under the two primary factions (Fed/KDF) or to continue to expand the "secondary" faction system (which seems more likely at this point) and possibly rethink the whole ship allowance angle.

Not too sure how they would accomplish this, as the current system is a big mess and sooner or later they're going to have to address it, but for now (in PWE/Cryptic's opinion) all you need to do is pull out your wallet and spend, spend, spend. "It doesn't have to make sense, just buy our damn ships!"
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • Options
    PWE/Cryptic's opinion) all you need to do is pull out your wallet and spend, spend, spend. "It doesn't have to make sense, just buy our damn ships!"

cold hard truth right there
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    Split alliances and the entire Republican deal makes no sense anyways. What the OP suggests may be consistent with that nonsense, but it is still complete nonsense and a horrible idea.

I'll dare say it is also a cheap shot at 'give it to me free' type entitlement claim without any regard to the consequences or to those who have already built up many alts and mains across the three factions - myself included.

There's a reason why people play different factions - for a different experience, not more of the same, and certainly not to water down what little is left of existing diversity.

Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    PWE/Cryptic's opinion) all you need to do is pull out your wallet and spend, spend, spend. "It doesn't have to make sense, just buy our damn ships!"

cold hard truth right there

You mean the fact that Cryptic's running a business not a charity?

Also remember this, back when Romulans were first announced the restriction of other factions T5 ships didn't exist, Cryptic originally planned to let Romulans use any ship from their chosen ally. The T5 restriction was added due to player backlash about how no one would make a Fed or KDF character if making a Romulan effectively doubled your ship options at max level.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Yep it's a business not Gene Roddenberry's crappy utopia BS where everything is free.