What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

We really keep that ?

hello everyone,

the Science Part of the Skill Tree at the Commander Section
Control Amplification

Any Time you cause an enemy to suffer a control effekt,
they will temporarly have their Damage Resistance Rating reduced.
This may only trigger maximum of once every 5 seconds.

Debuff:
-20 Damage Resistance Rating seconds for 5 seconds
Drain Infection

Any Time you cause an enemy to suffer an Energy Drain or Shield Drain effekt,
they also be afflicted with a short duration electrical damage effected
as their EPS conduits overload.
This may only trigger maximum of once every 5 seconds.

Debuff:
200 to 250 electrical damage every second for 5 seconds.

Do we really have to keep that in the skill tree ? really ?

In my oppinion it is not worth a single skill point,

What do you think ?

Comments

• Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    If you don't like them don't buy them.

/thread
  • Options
    But to answer your question I like both, the control amplification is basically a built in APB for all science builds... why wouldn't you want that?
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Drain infection might be pretty good if the damage scaled nicely with amount of drain, like (drain/2)x200.So, if you're draining, say, 6 points, you get 600 damage per tick for 5 seconds(6/2x200). Which isn't completely awful for bonus damage. Even better if it was able to be boosted by crit/damage mods (SRO/Pirate), and/or aux, or even partgens.
  • Options
    preikopreiko Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    I don´t buy it, i never ever will buy that (agin)
    there a far better option

1 skill point for 5 sec debuff .... that is too short
    it don´t even stack
    and there is this after 5 seconds you have to wait 1 second to reably it
    during my tests i did not get the debuff because i wast to quick
    you can not even prolong the debuff you have to wait until it is gone

why not something like

"the duration of your drain/control abillities last 5 seconds longer"
    or
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    It's 5 seconds, per proc, only one active at at time.

If you TBR someone for 30 seconds, they'll be affected for all thirty seconds in instances of 5 seconds each.
  • Options
    @illcadia
    Only if you have [Gran Mal](Voth) Duty Officer to keep them in range of your Tractor Beam Repulsor
    i will test that, thank you for your input, BUT as far as i can say it will be
    Tyken rift only applies the debuff once and i think it is the same with TBR
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    preiko wrote: »
    @illcadia
    Only if you have [Gran Mal](Voth) Duty Officer to keep them in range of your Tractor Beam Repulsor

or you can use a gravity well +TBR

It's a great skill since it even boosts the damage dealt by anyone attacking the affected targets.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    @rmy1081
    remember the global cooldown
    Gravital Well puts the Debuff on your foes
    and about 1 second later then TBR and if you "unhappy"
    you push your foes out of the Gravity well, and this would defeat the hole purpous of GW

And in this special Case you would have to spend 2 Skillpoints for this
    and you don*t get the damage out of the 4 remaining seconds ....

that is really not recommended
  • Options
    If you don't like it DONT USE IT. That is the point of your discussion and I resolved your problem for you. This is now a waste of time.
  • Options
    thank you for your time then, have a nice day
  • Options
    ortsimortsim Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    I have to say, the Drain Infection skill is rather poor currently. I gave it a run to test it out, and it doesn't even seem to bypass shields (it would do 50 damage vs 387, etc.). I think it needs a damage buff (or more damage from DrainX/EPG, the bigger the drain, the more hazardous the electrical discharge) and at least 50% shield bypass, since it is their EPS malfunctioning, that would make more sense anyway. This is from just reading through the combat log, I'll try to set up a parser and see what happens.
  • Options
    daiphdaiph Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    samt1996 wrote: »
    If you don't like them don't buy them.

/thread
    If you don't like it DONT USE IT. That is the point of your discussion and I resolved your problem for you. This is now a waste of time.

So is responding, especially in such terse, aggressive, unhelpful and condescending terms. Know what would've been more helpful? Your usual response style that you've been using for most queries such as this over the forum which could easily be described as 'brown-nosing sycophancy', and in fact, I feel that I should do something similar since that might actually have been helpful for a change.
    I don´t buy it, i never ever will buy that (agin)
    there a far better option

1 skill point for 5 sec debuff .... that is too short
    it don´t even stack
    and there is this after 5 seconds you have to wait 1 second to reably it
    during my tests i did not get the debuff because i wast to quick
    you can not even prolong the debuff you have to wait until it is gone

why not something like

"the duration of your drain/control abillities last 5 seconds longer"
    or

I wouldn't be so cut and dry about it at the moment. Personally, I actively dislike the new skill system on a wide array of points. From how it feels, how it looks, the lack of options, the (current) inability to have an at-a-glance overview of a build. That however is the skill system, and this is mechanics...

I tried out those abilities and found them wanting as well. They were completely underwhelming (as were the 'ultimates', iirc) however, I had some of the same thoughts you and Illcadia had.
    Firstly, if you apply the doff for power drain to tractors/TBR (or GW, if AoE effects are included?), you've just slapped your target with -20 damage resist and 250 base damage per second in addition to everything else you're doing. That's not great, but it's certainly not bad but it requires the application of both of these passive skills.

Outside of that though it's all a bit pitiful. It would be nice to see some sort of scaled effect in place instead, like the dot effect being linked to the power drain debuff even if it's minor such as (0.33x drainX)+200 - remembering that the damage is a result of power drain, drain as a skill isn't meant to be about damage at all.

Similarly with the control debuff, any GW/tractor effect (I purposely don't include jam sensors, etc, they're closer to disables and might even be better in their own class, at least descriptively) is already going to be dropping your target defense which is going to (indirectly) increase the damage dealt to them as it is. Perhaps having the debuff applied scaling with the ControlX being applied might be a better option? I think there's a larger issue here are there are more variables to consider and all of which revolve around resists, defense and how those compound one another already...
    What everyone buying Zen are really saying while all these bugs are still floating freely:
    qHiCsi6.gif
    Stop new content until quality returns
  • Options
    Currently on tribble GW is bugged and does not increase its radius with Control Expertise and hull resists are getting a fix so I guess we'll have to see the final results. For me, however, Control Amplification looks nice but is not a must have and Drain Infection looks a bit underpowered but I'll have to see what, if anything, buffs it.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    rmy1081 wrote: »
    ...Drain Infection looks a bit underpowered but I'll have to see what, if anything, buffs it.

I got a half decent build to test it with to be honest. It applied with Siphon and I think Tykens. I would expect it to apply to TachyBeam (which I think I did attempt, but can't remember) and subsystem targeting. I don't remember it applying with leech, I wouldn't expect it to either since the leech isn't an ability even if it is a 'drain effect'. Who knows, might be worth a rewording in the skill description just to clarify..?

EDIT, the bit I forgot to actually include and prompted me to reply in the first place...
    Anyway, I couldn't see anything buffing it at the time. Increased DrainX and ExoticX didn't, and neither did Aux, though I believe the Aux boosting Nukara trait did.
    What everyone buying Zen are really saying while all these bugs are still floating freely:
    qHiCsi6.gif
  • Options
    Ok, just tested Drain Infection on tribble. It's affected by critd and crith so even though my tooltip said 250 electrical damage per tic, I was actually getting a little over 1k damage per tic. That's with only 2 points in exotic particle generators and no PM trait.
  • Options
    Ok, just tested Drain Infection on tribble. It's affected by critd and crith so even though my tooltip said 250 electrical damage per tic, I was actually getting a little over 1k damage per tic. That's with only 2 points in exotic particle generators and no PM trait.

I take it to be a fair assumption that 1K per tic was on a crit? I ask purely for clarity.
    qHiCsi6.gif
  • Options
    daiph wrote: »

I take it to be a fair assumption that 1K per tic was on a crit? I ask purely for clarity.

yes it was a crit, but it has the 1 crit to rule them all bug (is it a bug?), so they all crit. I'll test it later to see how far I can push it. Also, I'm not sure if electrical damage has any resists in space.
  • Options
    yes it was a crit, but it has the 1 crit to rule them all bug (is it a bug?), so they all crit. I'll test it later to see how far I can push it. Also, I'm not sure if electrical damage has any resists in space.

Heh, '1 crit to rule them all' makes me think of how mines used to work :) (Borg transformer with gens still running? Meet Trico mines!)

Reading that back makes a little sense though, unless I'm making a mistake somewhere. You're saying that if you crit on your initial debuff application then the 5 applications over 5 seconds crits? I don't see an issue if that's the case.
    If you mean however that you crit in one of your applications in a chain which then knocks the crit onto the next application of the debuff in turn, then that might be an issue. Or if your initial ability crits then the passive crits innately..? The latter of those two again, doesn't seem that unreasonable as the crit chance is still going to be effectively the same overall.

As for electrical damage, it isn't actively resisted though I think there is a shield or a mod somewhere which might give 10% resist. It's probably Nukara, it sounds right for it.
    In any event, it's not resisted but I think I did see it being absorbed by shields meaning the hull damage was bleed through which didn't make a whole lot of sense. I'll have to have another look at it.
    qHiCsi6.gif
  • Options
    daiph wrote: »

Heh, '1 crit to rule them all' makes me think of how mines used to work :) (Borg transformer with gens still running? Meet Trico mines!)

Reading that back makes a little sense though, unless I'm making a mistake somewhere. You're saying that if you crit on your initial debuff application then the 5 applications over 5 seconds crits? I don't see an issue if that's the case.
    If you mean however that you crit in one of your applications in a chain which then knocks the crit onto the next application of the debuff in turn, then that might be an issue. Or if your initial ability crits then the passive crits innately..? The latter of those two again, doesn't seem that unreasonable as the crit chance is still going to be effectively the same overall.

As for electrical damage, it isn't actively resisted though I think there is a shield or a mod somewhere which might give 10% resist. It's probably Nukara, it sounds right for it.
    In any event, it's not resisted but I think I did see it being absorbed by shields meaning the hull damage was bleed through which didn't make a whole lot of sense. I'll have to have another look at it.

It looks like the crit calculation happens on the first tic so either they all crit or they all dont.
  • Options
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    It seems to proc once per activation of the science skill...and ONLY science skill despite the fact that it says any control or drain effect is suppose to proc it.

I think some pedancy is needed here. I believe it says 'control or drain effect', depending on which 'expertise' skill you're looking it.

Those skills are then being applied specifically to science abilities and not necessarily just effects.

I'm actually okay with it if that's the case, but I think they should be reapplied as the debuff effect continues. So if you have a 16-20 second energy siphon, the damage dot should apply 4 times over the course of the debuff (assuming no debuff cleanse is used)
    qHiCsi6.gif
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    But to answer your question I like both, the control amplification is basically a built in APB for all science builds... why wouldn't you want that?

True. But the '200 to 250 electrical damage every second for 5 seconds' amounts to an extra, what, 5-6 DPS?!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Well, the tool tip says ANY effects...not science boffs effects. If it's suppose to be for just science boff abilities, they need to change the tool tip since a tet shooting tact captain with no sci slots to speak of might end up picking this up otherwise. Hell I did it because I thought it would work with grav torps and nukara/tractor mines on top of my one each control and drain sci abilities. If it worked for the duration of the abilities, it makes it MARGINALLY useful to me...but then I'd have to look long and hard at if marginally useful is worth more shield and hull pen that will be always on. The way it works now...definately NOT useful...at all. If it worked on the weapon procs...totally worth it. Works with plasmonic...drool worthy for drain infection (I would say would become a MUST have skill at that point).

My bad, should've added emphasis that I agree with you. Either the tooltip's unclear or the ability hasn't been fully implemented/implemented correctly.
    qHiCsi6.gif
  • Options
    ortsimortsim Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    I ran a parse last night to see how it was working, it ran something like ~338-757 and came out to ~69 dps using it with Tyken's Rift II and Tachyon Beam I. 338/69 is 4.8, so it seems to be lasting the full 5 tics. A skill point for 69 dps at 145 DrainX and 343 EPG is very costly.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    It certainly looks like it could use some considerably tuning. 69 DPS would be a poor investment and make it a "noob" trap.

IIRC, it's the second skill point in the respective science "tree" at that tier, so it should probably be comparitive in effect to spending your second point in a something like Energy Weapon Training (or whatever is "adjacent" - in the same tier" in the tactical tree).
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    It certainly looks like it could use some considerably tuning. 69 DPS would be a poor investment and make it a "noob" trap.

Agreed. I didn't even parse these abilities to suspect at face value by their description to avoid using precious skill points on them. At this point even if they get the major boosts I won't touch them.

Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    @illcadia
    or you can use a gravity well +TBR

It's a great skill since it even boosts the damage dealt by anyone attacking the affected targets.
    Hmm.... APB+FaW, drop GW3, then fire a Tricobalt torp spread into the GW.... mmmm sounds like a nice explosion. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    It either needs a longer timer or the ability to reapply on powers like GW and TBR.