test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Useless mods on Assimilated set

so I upgraded my assimilated shields...nominally for the extra HP but also for whatever cool mod it might get. and what do I get...RAD....WTF??? there's not enough rad in the game to make this useful in the very least. ok maybe the very least but only just. and then I see that the deflector will gain +threat. again, USELESS. this isn't necessarily a tanking set. ive been using it for years for the fun of it and the random heals it gives, but it still isn't what you'd call a tanking set. idk its one of those WTF cryptic moments. I may still upgrade, but I'm worried when I do ill have to scrap the whole set after the deflector.

Comments

• Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    The adapted MACO ground set gains a +tox resist. Probably because the upgrading system was released at the same time as Bug Hunt.

I agree that there are some weird modifiers that don't seem particularly useful.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Not to be mean, but didn't you look at the stats for the Upgraded items, to see what it would be on a quality upgrade, prior to spending all your precious Dilithium?!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Not to be mean, but didn't you look at the stats for the Upgraded items, to see what it would be on a quality upgrade, prior to spending all your precious Dilithium?!

I don't know about the OP, but when I upgraded my MACO sets right after the release of the system, such information wasn't available. At least not in the game. Limited provision of information isn't restricted to the upgrading system btw, same goes for things like starship traits that are often vaguely described.

Especially with newer systems or releases, this can result in a severe lack of information. Such things should be described in more detail imo.
  • Options
    darkhorse281darkhorse281 Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »

I don't know about the OP, but when I upgraded my MACO sets right after the release of the system, such information wasn't available. At least not in the game. Limited provision of information isn't restricted to the upgrading system btw, same goes for things like starship traits that are often vaguely described.

Especially with newer systems or releases, this can result in a severe lack of information. Such things should be described in more detail imo.

This.......I suppose you could look on STO academy but no Ive never seen that info in game.
  • Options
    martakurillmartakurill Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    The adapted MACO ground set gains a +tox resist. Probably because the upgrading system was released at the same time as Bug Hunt.

I agree that there are some weird modifiers that don't seem particularly useful.

I have to admit, of the weird mods items get, I love that +tox resist on the MACO ground set. Easily my favorite ground set overall, too.

As for you, OP, yes that [RAD] mod really has me scratching my head. Unless you plan on gearing against the Malon, not really much you can do with that.
  • Options

I have to admit, of the weird mods items get, I love that +tox resist on the MACO ground set. Easily my favorite ground set overall, too.

As for you, OP, yes that [RAD] mod really has me scratching my head. Unless you plan on gearing against the Malon, not really much you can do with that.

Luckily the MACO ground set is very useful with its bonuses so it doesn't really matter. But given that it's designed to fight the Borg, it's a bit of a weird choice. Would make more sense to add it to Environmental suits or the Delta armour or some armour that is focused on extra hit points.

Isn't that thing Tholian Recluses emit to drain your shields Radiation damage btw?
  • Options
    lsegnlsegn Member Posts: 594 Arc User
    Well not the most useful but certainly unique. Certain enemies like other players flying science ships will pound you with radiation attacks. So like most sets it has a specific use.
  • Options
    shinnok918shinnok918 Member Posts: 312 Arc User

I'm talking space. due to bug hunt +tox resist is ACTUALLY useful.

• Options
    shinnok918 wrote: »

I'm talking space. due to bug hunt +tox resist is ACTUALLY useful.

I was well aware that you were talking about space. I merely provided another example of modifiers that do not really make sense if you keep in mind that these sets are designed to fight specific enemies. And that a +tox resist is pretty useless against the Borg.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Isn't that thing Tholian Recluses emit to drain your shields Radiation damage btw?

Yea... I think the Recluse does have an AoE Radiation ability. And I think players can get that too now with the console set from the Tholian ships.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    Most player radiation attacks I've seen bypass shields, so the Borg shield won't do you any good there. (Herald gateways, for example, will cook you in your shield bubble.)

NPCs, however... I definitely know the Solar Gateway spawned by Herald NPCs has to cut through your shield before damaging the hull. Don't know about the others.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    The adapted MACO ground set gains a +tox resist....
    Not completelly useless, given a lot of people use MACO/Adapted MACO Ground stuff for Borgy-Borg missions. Assimilation DoT is tox dmg, for example. And Bug Hunt is mostly tox + physical damage. Go figure. :smiley:
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    If ONLY upgrading told you exactly what you'd get AND eliminate the chance element. I don't mind grinding and grinding and grinding, but for a guaranteed result, not just the CHANCE of one!
  • Options
    shinnok918shinnok918 Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    kayajay wrote: »
    If ONLY upgrading told you exactly what you'd get AND eliminate the chance element. I don't mind grinding and grinding and grinding, but for a guaranteed result, not just the CHANCE of one!

seems rep sets are hardwired. that's why I'm so ticked. if the +threat wasn't hardwired I wouldn't be considering the switch to iconian set

• Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    shinnok918 wrote: »
    kayajay wrote: »

seems rep sets are hardwired. that's why I'm so ticked. if the +threat wasn't hardwired I wouldn't be considering the switch to iconian set

Not seems. Actually hardwired. Conscious decision so that player's can't complain that "I upgraded my expensive rep piece blank and it got a trash mod, so it's now 100% worthless and I need to regrind it".

Now, if it was assigned a "trash mod", well, that's a different story now, isn't it... Though don't diss that anti-radiation stuff to quickly, there's a lot of things that are starting to toss radiation more and more...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Enh the threat bonus really doesn't do much.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg