test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Daily Foundry Mission - Investigate Officer Reports

13»

Comments

• apomatix#2723 apomatix Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    i think more than anything eng. Reports/sitreps gave us stuff to think about and to keep coming back and asking for.
  • carbonunit13carbonunit13 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Clearly we have been Craptic'ed again.

As so many have said before why the hell remove something until you have a new system ready? That is so backwards I can not even explain it to you. Not to mention all you did with removing it was put a dead stop to me giving a damn about playing Foundry content.

Also, it takes you over 2 weeks to spoon feed us this vague response like...

"We are working on something, but not sure how it will look, and are talking about how it could be cool for all but no idea how it will work with hopes of having it out soon but we really have no clue when it could maybe be ready to look right, work right, and be implemented. Till then our bad and eat it playerbase..."

And you wonder why players complain.
  • boatswasboatswas Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    A question I have is ... Why are the same missions spotlighted for months and months on end? Playing the same ones over and over is very much akin to grinding... and I hate grinding! If there's something new - or at least different - then it doesn't feel like I'm doing the same repetitive task over and over and over and over and over...
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,630 Arc User
    boatswas wrote: »
    A question I have is ... Why are the same missions spotlighted for months and months on end? Playing the same ones over and over is very much akin to grinding... and I hate grinding! If there's something new - or at least different - then it doesn't feel like I'm doing the same repetitive task over and over and over and over and over...

Well, this is a bit more complex than what it looks like.

First, there are new missions being made everyday. Did you know there are more than 91,000 Foundry missions at last count? Most people don't. That is due to an interface which only shows Spotlight and the Top 50 missions. So out of 91,000 missions only roughly 80 are ever seen by the playerbase.

These missions have an obsolete 'weighting' system attached to them from years ago, which guarantees they will never move off the lists making room for new missions. The Foundry community has been asking for years for a fix to this problem (see sig below), but the Foundry isn't monetized, and therefore is at the bottom of the priority list. There are a few 'angel' devs who take there own time off the clock to keep the thing running, but sadly that's it. Which brings us to the Spotlights specifically...

Brandon (Branflakes) PWEs old community manager was the one who brought this feature into the game. It is (was?) quite popular, but since he has left the company, it's been abandoned. Newer CMs have had other projects they favor. And they are the ones who decide which missions to Spotlight. I'm not faulting Trendy, she does a fantastic job, she just doesn't have the time to do Spotlight work. We have asked as a community if there would be someway we could choose new Spotlights, but that seems to have gone no where.

So here we sit, almost 100,000 missions of free content for Cryptic locked behind an outdated interface, the few missions that can be seen held in place with obsolete 'weighting' system, and an overworked staff that can't work on one of the best features of the game because of other priorities that management ALWAYS puts first.
  • botc76botc76 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    So... You remove a bonus mission for an unspecified time, on the basis of a plan to make that bonus added into rewards automatically at some equally unspecified point in the future?

Sounds like great timing management.

So much this. Not everybody is smart enough to add this mission, therefore we make it so that no one gets any reward, thereby making foundry missions almost completely uninteresting reward-wise for the foreseeable future. It's been months now! Months.

Sorry, but this sucks and is no way to treat your players and completely screws up the people putting time and effort into making this content for your game.
  • botc76botc76 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Recently, one of the daily missions available to all players via the “Available” tab in the mission journal, Investigate Officer Reports, stopped being offered to those playing Foundry missions. This mission disappeared without being noted as a change in our patch notes and without comment from any member of the STO team, and for that lack of visibility we would all like to express our sincerest apologies to the STO community. However, this mission was intentionally removed and will remain unavailable for at least the near term.

This action was taken as we work towards an overhaul that we are looking to make to Foundry rewards throughout the game. The details of this overhaul are still being iterated on while it is in development, but one of the major thrusts of those changes is that no one should be missing out on rewards because they forgot to take an obscure daily mission found in a menu that most players do not utilize – we want all players to be equally compensated for seeking out and playing Foundry content.

The Foundry is very important to STO and we all enjoy seeing the amazing stories its authors are able to put together to expand the Star Trek universe. The overhauls we are planning are meant to aid in highlighting the amazing work being done in the STO community and rewarding those who seek out that work.

We look forward to further communication with the players about the future changes we are planning as those details become available.

Charles Gray
    Lead Content Designer
    Star Trek Online

Emphasis added.

In other words, most foundry players didn't take the daily to begin with, and it wasn't fair for people who knew about the daily to earn more rewards doing the same content as people who didn't know the daily even existed.

For all we know, maybe the reason they removed the daily before the new reward system is in place is because of an exploit being used by some people. Of course I doubt they would talk about it if that were the case.

Honestly I'm not a foundry type player, though I had played some missions a long time ago that had great stories.

My advice is to stop complaining and stop being angry over a single mission. It's not like it's hard to get 960 dil. Wait and see what new system they have in store for us. If it isn't to your liking, or you feel it could be improved, feel free to leave polite feedback on the forums.

Lol. What kind of a tool are you?
    There was no exploit. This is just the usual, all the players are idiots, therefore we must make games for idiots and while we're at it, lets actually punish the players who take their time to get to know the game.

I try to be positive and I'm definitely bored by all those people here or in the zone chat with their craptic bs, but this just sucks.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    "trust" issues? lol wut? they're not going to give us information they haven't finalized yet. That's why they quit the engineering reports. Nothing in them was actually finalized yet and people raged at anything in them that didn't make it to the live server....
    SOME people raged.
    The rest of us liked the little bit of a heads-up that it gave.
    B)
    Yeah I do agree that it was nice to know what the devs were thinking about, but it was often disappointing. Like with LoR... Apparently at some point they were planning on playable Suliban and Acamarians.... also they discussed making RR aliens some how special and different from regular aliens. I'm not upset really, but I did actually like the sound of that.

DStahl made it a point to actually tell me to stay tuned when I asked for a Suliban BOFF. They didn't even drop the parts into the alien generator which was a waste. I can't even properly make my Alien BOFF Suliban, but I have Suliban DOFFs. It was absurd. The parts are clearly in there I don't know what the problem is.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    And still no mention what so ever about the new system to take place.........
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,782 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »
    Obscure menu??? Huh?? That's such a cop out. Couldn't be that hard to find since so many people noticed it was missing.
    How many on a so many?
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,618 Arc User
    Hmm, two months now and no mention of any replacement appearing next week in 11.5. It's starting to look like Cryptic hopes we will forget about this and there is not really a replacement :(

• emperormakemperormak Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    Seems like this is part of their recent pattern.

DOFFing was profitable, but not everyone DOFFed...so it got nerfed.
    Skills are complicated and some people made bad choices...so it gets completely redone to make it "easier".
    Investigate Officer Reports is a nice bonus for people doing Foundry Missions, but not everyone remembers to click it...so just remove it.

What's next? Some people don't fill their console slots...so just remove all console slots.

I'm not terribly upset about this getting removed, but it sure would be nice if they gave more logical explanations for what they're doing. And it would also be really nice if they'd actually put things in the patch notes.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    So are we waiting for Season 12 before anything is done with this?
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    *crickets*
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • daniela1055daniela1055 Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    Any news about it yet?​​