Install Arc
Options

Cardassian Faction

2»

Comments

• Options
    kapla5571kapla5571 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Seems like a Cube is on the cards given the Valentine's Day event...

Your confusing the Attack Wing giveaway with STO.....

From Valentines day giveaway post
    "Show us your creative skills! We're giving out an Attack Wing Enterprise and Borg Cube to the Captain who can write the best love poem."

Attack Wing is a WizKids creation promoted by Arc
    "Attack Wing is a fast-paced tactical combat miniatures game, featuring collectible figures based on the Star Trek Universe and the Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms®.Utilizing the FlightPath™ maneuver system, command your army in epic combat & customize your army with equipment, weapons, special abilities and more!"
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    The last time Geko was asked about this, he said it was 'probably inevitable'. So, yeah, it's probably just a matter of time. That said, be careful what you wish for. People asked for Romulans and got the New Republic. So whenever they do add the Cardassians, it isn't likely to be the Cardassians like we saw them in the show.

True but the cardassians we saw in the show were basically very much like the republic, there home was decimated by the war and while that was a while ago now they still require our help so they would be more like the republic but im guessing further along since they have had years to rebuild.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    [but a lot of people still want to play Imperial in Star Wars games.

Those folks can't be trusted and should be on a federal watch list. Star Wars? Eeuch.
    That said, if you want something completely *different* from what was portrayed in the shows

New Romulus wan't completely different. When the shows got away from Tal Shiar thugs Romulans were as varied in motivation and personality as the folks we got in the game. Same when we saw a Klingon who wasn't a member of the High Council. And even the Vulcans in TOS weren't clones of Spock... despite the selective memory about them a lot of fans had when Enterprise came on.

The Romulan faction was built on the seeds already sewn. (The alignment system was unsatisfying from a game play perspective and that's a good criticism of what they did, but the faction remained itself up to DS9.) As a result the Romulan story line is a lot better than both the Federation, who are all one big happy Starfleet, and especially the KDF: "Warrior warrior warrior Worf warrior warrior Klingon spirit warrior qapla warrior'" said the Naussican who shouldn't give a toss about any of that and then I fell asleep.

Back to the Cardassians: Garak himself showed Cardassians have their own paths to follow and he remained every bit the bad-TRIBBLE. Even Damar went with his conscience in the end. Rejal, Natima Lang. None of them lost anything from putting on the white hat.

That some players want nothing to grow isn't something the devs need to care about. It's good that they don't have as limited imaginations as some players. The game is a lot better for it.
    <3
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    twg042370 wrote: »
    Those folks can't be trusted and should be on a federal watch list. Star Wars? Eeuch.

Yeah, anybody can make a silly demeaning comment about something they don't like. Someone could look at you and say the same thing. That doesn't mean anything is wrong with you though. The same goes for people who happen to like something you don't.

New Romulus wan't completely different. When the shows got away from Tal Shiar thugs Romulans were as varied in motivation and personality as the folks we got in the game. Same when we saw a Klingon who wasn't a member of the High Council. And even the Vulcans in TOS weren't clones of Spock... despite the selective memory about them a lot of fans had when Enterprise came on.

I never said the Romulans and Klingons in the shows didn't have personality or motivation. However that doesn't change the fact that the Romulan and Cardassian *militaries*(key word) we saw in the shows are what most people identify those factions with. Sure, there were Romulan and Cardassians who weren't in the military. Some were farmers, some were scholars, some were smugglers. But guess what? The same is true of Starfleet. Not all members of the Federation were Starfleet officers. But *this* game is focused on the *militaries*(key word) of each faction.

The being the case, I stand by my earlier point that when most people ask to play Romulan or Cardassian, they are asking to be able to play something very similar to the military they saw on the show, not some offshoot resistance movement. And on that note, this is literally the only Trek game that has ever had Romulans as a playable faction that *didn't* allow you to play the Romulan military as presented in the shows. There was nothing forcing Cryptic to do what they did, it was simply an artistic choice. And it's not "bad"; it is an interesting story. But definitely *isn't* the iconic Romulan military we saw in the show, and I have no doubt the Cardassians won't be either.

The "contradiction" in all of this is that they *DO* present Starfleet as the military seen in the shows, but *don't* present other faction's militaries as shown. Want to know why? Because they know Starfleet is where their money is, and they aren't going to TRIBBLE around with what they know people are going to pay for.
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    There was nothing forcing Cryptic to do what they did, it was simply an artistic choice. And it's not "bad"; it is an interesting story. But definitely *isn't* the iconic Romulan military we saw in the show, and I have no doubt the Cardassians won't be either.

My guess is less artistic choice (though I agree the story was really good) and more 'let's market a 3rd faction without really making a 3rd faction.'

It seems many do want a Cardassian faction, and I'm all for it on the condition they finish the Rom one first or at least make a optional split to renounce alliances and republicans.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    Well if they make an Dominion playable species I would be more then happy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    *militaries*

Less military is good. It really needs to be scaled back before the franchise loses the humanism that made it worthwhile in the first place and becomes as dumb and jingoistic as a Michael Bay movie.

Hah! Just kidding! I watched Into Darkness. I know the cows left that barn sometime between Mini-Picard and the first decontamination chamber rubdown.

To sum up: The Federation in game has utterly failed to be what Star Trek is supposed to be. If the game needs to have other power groups take up that torch because a chunk of the fanbase gets off on the authoritarianism and high collars, I'm all for it.

More gaming like New Romulus, please. I'm an adult. I can take it.
    <3
  • Options
    twg042370 wrote: »
    *militaries*

Less military is good... More gaming like New Romulus, please. I'm an adult. I can take it.

Again, if that is what you like, that is fine. I'm not knocking your personal preference. My point is simply that what you are describing is *NOT* the iconic Romulan/Cardassian powers, as portrayed on the shows. And the iconic powers, as portrayed on the shows, is what most people have in mind when asking to play those factions.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    What they could do is create an "Alliance" faction that consists of some of the various races that assisted in the Delta Alliance and Iconian War arcs, with a unique arc that involves their introduction to the alpha/beta quadrants, and access to missions that take place before the Alliance's creation achieved through holodeck simulations. Everyone could get any race they want (Card, Dom, etc), and Cooperative could be a lifer reward. Poof, everyone is happy.

Only problem is a LOT of those ships have been in lockboxes already ...
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    ultimatenewbieultimatenewbie Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    kapla5571 wrote:

Whoops, sorry!! :s

Indeed, this is an issue. I'm not sure about all the options for addressing it, but what comes immediately to mind:
    • Dont have the iconic ships available to the faction (ie, no Cardassian Galor) if it has been in any lockbox;
    • Make the ships widely available, possibly with some form of compensation (Zen?) for people who have the ship already; or
    • Try to differentiate the products.

Happy to take suggestions on additional approaches.

My initial reaction is that not having the iconic faction ships would be pretty lame - it'd be like Klingons not having Birds of Prey or Romulans not having the D'Deridex. It's just not cricket. Still, creative replacements could be conceived of so that it could be overcome - just be prepared for the waves of qqing.

Making the iconic ships widely available in a way that was comparable to the lockbox ships could be implemented given not all that much of the playerbase would have them - particularly compared to the number of players that would play the faction. However, this would cause major problems about those who forked out considerable resources to get the lockbox ship - either in keys or in EC on the exchange. However, I dont see how compensation would be straightforward to implement; just because you have a Galor doesnt mean it was you who opened a ton of keys, instead having bought it on the exchange. And if Zen was compensation, how much? A person could have (though, it was unlikely) got it on their first key; others could have opened 1000, got nothing, then bought it off the exchange. Or just bought it for EC without spending a Zen at all. Far too many problems for that to be viable I think.

That is why I suggested that the Cardassian Galor was a Tier 4 (ie, Captain) level ship - sure everyone will get to play it, detracting from the uniqueness of the lockbox ship, but it simply wont be competitive in 'normal' high-end play. But the Lockbox variants of the ship would continue to be as viable (at least, as much as they currently are) and therefore their uniqueness can be retained...

Grateful for views.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    kapla5571 wrote:

Whoops, sorry!! :s

Indeed, this is an issue. I'm not sure about all the options for addressing it, but what comes immediately to mind:
    • Dont have the iconic ships available to the faction (ie, no Cardassian Galor) if it has been in any lockbox;
    • Make the ships widely available, possibly with some form of compensation (Zen?) for people who have the ship already; or
    • Try to differentiate the products.

Happy to take suggestions on additional approaches.

My initial reaction is that not having the iconic faction ships would be pretty lame - it'd be like Klingons not having Birds of Prey or Romulans not having the D'Deridex. It's just not cricket. Still, creative replacements could be conceived of so that it could be overcome - just be prepared for the waves of qqing.

Making the iconic ships widely available in a way that was comparable to the lockbox ships could be implemented given not all that much of the playerbase would have them - particularly compared to the number of players that would play the faction. However, this would cause major problems about those who forked out considerable resources to get the lockbox ship - either in keys or in EC on the exchange. However, I dont see how compensation would be straightforward to implement; just because you have a Galor doesnt mean it was you who opened a ton of keys, instead having bought it on the exchange. And if Zen was compensation, how much? A person could have (though, it was unlikely) got it on their first key; others could have opened 1000, got nothing, then bought it off the exchange. Or just bought it for EC without spending a Zen at all. Far too many problems for that to be viable I think.

That is why I suggested that the Cardassian Galor was a Tier 4 (ie, Captain) level ship - sure everyone will get to play it, detracting from the uniqueness of the lockbox ship, but it simply wont be competitive in 'normal' high-end play. But the Lockbox variants of the ship would continue to be as viable (at least, as much as they currently are) and therefore their uniqueness can be retained...

Grateful for views.

I once came up with a way that Cryptic could do a Cardassian faction and still keep the lock box Galor as is for Klingon, Federation and Romulan players. Simply rename the Cardassian Galor as something like "True Way Cardassian Galor" and retcon the story behind it so that instead of it being the Cardassian government handing over leftover Galors to the Federation/Klingons/Romulans according to the lock box lore, it was instead a scuttled ship via the Ferengi (who are supposively behind the lock boxes from the old ingame lore). After all, they showed it's possible to rename lock boxes with the Xindi lock box.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I once came up with a way that Cryptic could do a Cardassian faction and still keep the lock box Galor as is for Klingon, Federation and Romulan players.

Here is my solution: Give the lockbox Galor
    • An awesome console
    • A free upgrade to T6
    • A unique skin

IMO, this would preserve the value for those who have bough it, but still allow them to offer the "standard" version with a Cardie faction.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Ugh NO to a Cardassion faction! How about the Borg Cooperative instead?
  • Options
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    Ugh NO to a Cardassion faction! How about the Borg Cooperative instead?

Possibly, but most likely after the Cardies. While you may not like them, I think they have a larger following than the Cooperative, and the most important thing for Cryptic is which next faction would make them the most money.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    MEh, when you have 6 scimitars in the Z-store, is it really hard to imagine the game having 3 or 4 variants of the galor? :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    cedricophoffcedricophoff Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    Here i was going "wonder whatever happened to that post i made" kablammo, here we are... Not rly what i was expecting lol. Glad to see not much has changed over the years with people still wanting their playable borg and cubes and whatnot, and the grand nagus still haunting the forums. Ide actually be perfectly fine with the Cardies being like the New Romulans, a small back story, homeworld and so forth... In a perfect world (lol) obviously a fleshed out faction and a story worthy of their race would be better, but i don't think they would make any future cardie faction more fleshed out then Romulans. Eventhough they (in my subjective opinion) deserve it more then Romulans, seeing as their homeworld was never blown up.