test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tremendous Lag and Disconnects

Not sure if this is my Internet being screwy (I'm almost positive it's not) or the Servers literally dying. Just completed a Counterpoint Advanced and there was a full 6 second lag time between skill use and the effect occurring on top of this everyone was complain of near constant SNRs and 2 people even Disconnected.

Anyone else suffering tonight? This has been going on for weeks! If the servers are dying then please cryptic just shutdown STO for 2 weeks and repair them FFS!
tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

Comments

• centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    Last night was the worst for CTD's since the event patch. Lag was annoying for the Omega collection, as usual, but 4 CTD's in 2 hours is a new low for STO. I'm already running reduced file streaming, adn the Cryptic Error Handler never seems to find any errors in my game files, so I don't know what to think... :|
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    Yes this is maddening now.
    I've only been playing a poultry 3.5years,nothing compared to some of the guys I know in game that have seen a thousand problems before my time come and go.
    It's not everyone but a more than a few of even the most seasoned players I know affected by this are starting to really get annoyed with it. As am I.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    The thing is I would appreciate it if Cryptic said after the anniversary they were gonna do a 7-day extended maintenence to address multiple bugs and server issues. It shows they actually care.
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• capemike4capemike4 Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    Getting reports of another DDOS in progress...possibly related.... *shrug*
    When in doubt...Gravity Well TO THE FACE!! :D
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I wish someone with the necessary skills would "obtain" that TRIBBLE-with-a-god-complex's personal info and send it to the authorities ... this DDoS TRIBBLE is just stupid

Edit: umm ... a word for TRIBBLE that begins with a T is censored!?! wow, just wow

Edit 2: so ... words that begin with P and T are censored ... is "fecal matter" ok to say?

Edit 3: I guess it is ... at this rate by the time my kids are my age the internet will censor everything except the word hi
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • potencethe1stpotencethe1st Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    It's pretty pathetic that one person can disable 3 international games.

Cryptic, get your TRIBBLE together. You've already lost me on spending money after LETTING this continue for months. Actually, no, keep it up.

It would nice if a studio worth a TRIBBLE got their hands on the ST IP. I can't imagine a better way to loose players than a lag issue from one person you cant control. That just screams, pathetic.

And no you cant say TRIBBLE but TRIBBLE is totally ok once you edit.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Same here. :( I was just going to look for the 'They forgot to feed the hamsters' thread again, when I found this.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    I hate DDOs attacks
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,441 Arc User
    Well, if you can afford to fund an international hit team to track this punk down and teach him a lesson, please, feel free. 'Cause you know Cryptic doesn't have that kind of cash laying around. (Lying around? English am hard sometimes.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Now I can't even log in any more. :( Can someone please do their job?!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    Launcher: "The website is experiencing technical difficulties. Normal game play is not affected." Only in their dreams.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    It's so bad right now, that just trying to fill in rep slots is not even working. I have no clue what's going on, but given everything since Christmas (for me personally) this game seems insanely broken in so many ways. Adding server issues really isn't helping that.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited February 2016

Cryptic, get your TRIBBLE together. You've already lost me on spending money after LETTING this continue for months. Actually, no, keep it up.

It would nice if a studio worth a TRIBBLE got their hands on the ST IP.

If you attempt to Google for strategies to prevent DDoS attacks you will find that there really aren't any ways to do so. Well... if you spend enough money to have multiple servers around the globe that is a possible strategy, but that takes a whole lot of money. PWE would probably "earn" more money by shutting down all their games than to setup multiple servers around the globe to not stop, but delay the full extent of DDoS attacks.

An effective way to do a DDoS attack to affect all global servers would be to simply have more zombie PC out there "pinging" away at the servers. A company could spend half the GDP (Gross Domestic Product) of the US and still be taken down by a simple DDoS attack.

The GDP is basically the total amount of money generated by all businesses in a country within a specific time period. Typically one year.
  • Yes, the game is unplayable once again. What a pitty that a billion dollar company like perfect world seem to be too greedy to invest some money into ddos protection.​​
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    I wanna DDoS this guys whole body!!!
    Never mind the areas that might actually accept input!!
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited February 2016
    coldnapalm wrote: »

It would nice if a studio worth a TRIBBLE got their hands on the ST IP. I can't imagine a better way to loose players than a lag issue from one person you cant control. That just screams, pathetic.

You do realize that DDOS attacks is effective against the PENTAGON...right? And they have budgets in the hundreds of BILLIONS of dollars. And before you chime in about government ineffectiveness, microsoft, apple, wow, starbucks, pretty much anyone you can name that is an international company has had DDOS attacks against them at some point...and there is not much they can do. If these guys can't do it, you expect a small niche game company like cryptic to? Seriously?

It can't be prevented, no, but someone with the skills could turn the tables on this little piece of fecal matter. Afterall, nothing on or connected to the internet is truly secure.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • DDoS Defense techniques

Defensive responses to denial-of-service attacks typically involve the use of a combination of attack detection, traffic classification and response tools, aiming to block traffic that they identify as illegitimate and allow traffic that they identify as legitimate.

A list of prevention and response tools is provided below:

Firewalls
    In the case of a simple attack, a firewall could have a simple rule added to deny all incoming traffic from the attackers, based on protocols, ports or the originating IP addresses.

More complex attacks will however be hard to block with simple rules: for example, if there is an ongoing attack on port 80 (web service), it is not possible to drop all incoming traffic on this port because doing so will prevent the server from serving legitimate traffic. Additionally, firewalls may be too deep in the network hierarchy, with routers being adversely affected before the traffic gets to the firewall.

Switches
    Most switches have some rate-limiting and ACL capability. Some switches provide automatic and/or system-wide rate limiting, traffic shaping, delayed binding (TCP splicing), deep packet inspection and Bogon filtering (bogus IP filtering) to detect and remediate denial-of-service attacks through automatic rate filtering and WAN Link failover and balancing.

These schemes will work as long as the DoS attacks can be prevented by using them. For example, SYN flood can be prevented using delayed binding or TCP splicing. Similarly content based DoS may be prevented using deep packet inspection. Attacks originating from dark addresses or going to dark addresses can be prevented using bogon filtering. Automatic rate filtering can work as long as set rate-thresholds have been set correctly and granularly. Wan-link failover will work as long as both links have DoS/DDoS prevention mechanism.

Routers
    Similar to switches, routers have some rate-limiting and ACL capability. They, too, are manually set. Most routers can be easily overwhelmed under a DoS attack. Cisco IOS has optional features that can reduce the impact of flooding.

Application front end hardware
    Application front end hardware is intelligent hardware placed on the network before traffic reaches the servers. It can be used on networks in conjunction with routers and switches. Application front end hardware analyzes data packets as they enter the system, and then identifies them as priority, regular, or dangerous. There are more than 25 bandwidth management vendors.

Application level Key Completion Indicators
    In order to meet the case of application level DDoS attacks against Cloud based applications, approaches may be based on an application layer analysis, to indicate whether an incoming traffic bulk is legitimate or not and thus enable the triggering of elasticity decisions without the economical implications of a DDoS attack. These approaches mainly rely on an identified path of value inside the application and monitor the macroscopic progress of the requests in this path, towards the final generation of profit, through markers denoted as Key Completion Indicators

IPS based prevention
    Intrusion-prevention systems (IPS) are effective if the attacks have signatures associated with them. However, the trend among the attacks is to have legitimate content but bad intent. Intrusion-prevention systems which work on content recognition cannot block behavior-based DoS attacks.

An ASIC based IPS may detect and block denial-of-service attacks because they have the processing power and the granularity to analyze the attacks and act like a circuit breaker in an automated way.

A rate-based IPS (RBIPS) must analyze traffic granularly and continuously monitor the traffic pattern and determine if there is traffic anomaly. It must let the legitimate traffic flow while blocking the DoS attack traffic.

DDS based defense
    More focused on the problem than IPS, a DoS Defense System (DDS) can block connection-based DoS attacks and those with legitimate content but bad intent. A DDS can also address both protocol attacks (such as Teardrop and Ping of death) and rate-based attacks (such as ICMP floods and SYN floods).

Blackholing and sinkholing
    With blackholing, all the traffic to the attacked DNS or IP address is sent to a "black hole" (null interface or a non-existent server). To be more efficient and avoid affecting network connectivity, it can be managed by the ISP.

Sinkholing routes traffic to a valid IP address which analyzes traffic and rejects bad packets. Sinkholing is not efficient for most severe attacks.

Upstream filtering
    All traffic is passed through a "cleaning center" or a "scrubbing center" via various methods such as proxies, tunnels or even direct circuits, which separates "bad" traffic (DDoS and also other common internet attacks) and only sends good traffic beyond to the server. The provider needs central connectivity to the Internet to manage this kind of service unless they happen to be located within the same facility as the "cleaning center" or "scrubbing center".​​
  • captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    this is really sad, Cryptic seems to not care about their equipment or the games at all. If I was in charge I would clean house in the networking department. This is what happens when you put all of your eggs in one basket.
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    DDoS Defense techniques

*SNIP*

​​

A lot of the involves working side by side with the IPS. They are good preventative measure to delay the eventual take down of a server or servers if DDoS attacks continues and escalates.
  • ninzombie14ninzombie14 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Yes, whatever is happening is crippling to the game server. This has happened WAY too many times over the past two weeks... I spent way too much money tonight on ZEN to upgrade. If this doesn't get straightened around, I am going ask for my money back and have them shut down my account permanently...
    coldnapalm wrote: »

You do realize that DDOS attacks is effective against the PENTAGON...right? And they have budgets in the hundreds of BILLIONS of dollars. And before you chime in about government ineffectiveness, microsoft, apple, wow, starbucks, pretty much anyone you can name that is an international company has had DDOS attacks against them at some point...and there is not much they can do. If these guys can't do it, you expect a small niche game company like cryptic to? Seriously?

It can't be prevented, no, but someone with the skills could turn the tables on this little piece of fecal matter. Afterall, nothing on or connected to the internet is truly secure.

He's supposedly been warned by a rather large and effective Hacker Group to cut it out, but it seems he's hell-bent on causing as much disruption as he possible can before being caught/shut-down.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    Yes, whatever is happening is crippling to the game server. This has happened WAY too many times over the past two weeks... I spent way too much money tonight on ZEN to upgrade. If this doesn't get straightened around, I am going ask for my money back and have them shut down my account permanently...

it's been more than a few weeks, these attacks span back to last year, FROM THE SAME GUY supposedly.
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    STO - my first, and only, forray into online only games.

I miss the days when you could play a game you paid for when you wanted (yes, payed when I pre-ordered the game). No dependency of external servers that undergo this sort of attack or their own maintainence periods or other ISP issues. Too bad that's pretty much everything game makers and doing nowdays.
    fftt wrote: »
    STO - my first, and only, forray into online only games.

I miss the days when you could play a game you paid for when you wanted (yes, payed when I pre-ordered the game). No dependency of external servers that undergo this sort of attack or their own maintainence periods or other ISP issues. Too bad that's pretty much everything game makers and doing nowdays.

Most non-MMOs would work perfectly fine offline ... unfortunately many companies are moving those to internet connected services in hopes of preventing piracy. Oh and guess what? It doesn't stop the pirates, so its a waste of time anyway, but the industry has already made the move so ...

As far as MMOs go though, none have ever worked offline that I know of (with one possible exception), because they are heavily dependent on having user data saved on a server. The one possible exception I mentioned is no longer active, and depends on your definition of MMO: Phantasy Star Online for Dreamcast actually worked offline if I remember correctly, though future ports to other systems did not.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • tetonghost#5954 tetonghost Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Does Cryptic own and have control of game servers or do they lease the servers?
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Same here. :( I was just going to look for the 'They forgot to feed the hamsters' thread again, when I found this.

DDOS incursion detected! Again :(
    edited February 2016
    nabreeki wrote: »
    daveyny wrote: »
    He's supposedly been warned by a rather large and effective Hacker Group to cut it out, but it seems he's hell-bent on causing as much disruption as he possible can before being caught/shut-down.

No he hasn't. The guy pretending to be representing the "large and effective" hacker group admitted to just being a "protest" guy and has no knowledge of hacking or the organization he claims to be a part of.

Bummer...

One interesting thing...
    I LUV how I arrive personally just outside the ESD, about 30 to 40 seconds before my ship does.
    :o
    I see these threads are being closed, one by one. Yeah. That's not gonna make the issue go away, you know!?
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Your posts aren't, either. Just saying. @jodarkrider here's another one to close.

Silencing ppl here isn't going to make this DDOS cr*p go away. If they feel the urge to silence ppl, let them put some efforts into stopping the guy doing these attacks.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
This discussion has been closed.