What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gentle Repose

13»

Comments

• Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    I find it interesting that the Na'kuhl want to promote a timeline in which the Tholians are dominant, given that it was the Tholians who killed their star in the first place. I would think that they would hate the Tholians just as much as the Federation.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    kelettes wrote: »
    I hate time travel when used in television and games. The one thing that bugs me the most about it is that after the time travel event has occurred and the "problem" has been solved you are left back where you started with no real change or advancement in the overall subject. Case in point, the "Year of Hell" episode of Voyager, they went through all that and at the end of the episode you were left back on the bridge, they went nowhere, they learned nothing and we find out that the entire episode just didn't happen. I hate time travel, it is always such a waste.

Depends on how the mechanic is used in my opinion.
    • Because Voyager destroyed Annorax's ship, all the changes the guy made over the decades in the area gets undone, true, BUT we get a new scenario where Voyager gets a warning that its entering a disputed area, then avoids the region altogether >> Voyager's course gets altered and its interactions with the Krenim remain minimal, non-confrontational. They may have even avoided additional delays, detours, or certain death by not crossing Krenim space into a more dangerous sector.
    • Another example is to use time travel to explain why something happens; to finally give a cause to the effect and come full circle -- see Midnight.
    • Or here's another from Butterfly: at the end of the episode we are left with a universe where we don't know what exactly changed -- every reference to the universe before the change is in that shielded computer core and we have no idea how "good" the fix actually is. We do know that the Tuterians (the way things stand at this point after the Stormfront episode) have been assimilated by the Borg and their only contribution to the Annorax time ship project are Clauda's files in the shielded core. Also, there may be more surprises coming down the pipe. We are not back at square one.

Agreed. Time travel is not inherently wrong as a story device - how it gets used is. (I may be somewhat biased here, though, given that my sci-fi universe already has one published instance of time travel and at least one other mentioned, not to mention a few other ones in backstory. :neutral:)

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    I hate time travel when used in television and games. The one thing that bugs me the most about it is that after the time travel event has occurred and the "problem" has been solved you are left back where you started with no real change or advancement in the overall subject. Case in point, the "Year of Hell" episode of Voyager, they went through all that and at the end of the episode you were left back on the bridge, they went nowhere, they learned nothing and we find out that the entire episode just didn't happen. I hate time travel, it is always such a waste.

Kinda like Bobby Ewing taking a shower...
    <eye roll>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    So here we have both sides maneuvering and placing their agents to counteract each other throughout the timeline...
    And who wants to bet that Noye is going to come blundering in with his "Save the wife" temporal crusade and TRIBBLE everything up so that we have to put things back on track?
    I wouldn't mind that, if you show us the results of what happens if we get it wrong.
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • Options
    johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    50th anniversary is going to be Kirk when he was blinking out of reality in the original series episode having to help you with a mission to save the time line!
  • Options
    vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 696 Arc User
    captaind3 wrote: »
    vorwoda wrote: »
    daveyny wrote: »
    questerius wrote: »
    Referencing the USS Defiant (NCC-1764) which is a Constitution-class.
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Defiant_(NCC-1764)

If it wasn't already known that the T6 constitution class was a no go then it would by now be ranked as the most likely vessel for the anniversary.

Wells class is also not a likely candidate. Better continue speculating for now.

Although...

Using the Defiant (NCC-1764) which is from the Mirror Universe, could conceivably be a possible way for Cryptic to skirt around the T-5/6 issue. Technically, it's possible it is no longer considered a Constitution Class vessel, as the Mirror Universe folks could have upgraded it to be a much more capable 24th century ship.

We might just end up having our Anniversary Cake and eating it too.
    B)

Since this is not only the Anniversary celebration for STO, but the 50th anniversary of Trek itself, such a ship would be REALLY fitting.

Well that particular anniversary isn't until September though right?

Though I'm not against an all year celebration.

What about a mission with all seven Enterprises. That said, you'd want all six Captains too.

Correct. September 8, to be precise.

And an all year celebration sounds fine to me, too.

Seven Enterprises and six captains - heck, yes! Now THAT sounds like a party worth attending!

• Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    My money is on a T6 NX-01 refit (with the secondary hull)... The Tucker sub-class.

Not, really but wouldnt be disappointed if they did, even at T2
  • Options
    maybe i missed something or am not picking up on sometconsting. but to me it was not clear which defiant the story was refering to... the constitution class U.S.S. Defiant seen in ENT or DS9's Defiant.

the reason i'm not sure, is in ENT, the defiant there got into the mirror universe (and back in time) when the ship was attack by tholians using some sort of tricobalt based weapon. after which it was first captured by the tholians, and subsequently by the mirror Enterpirse crew.

again maybe i missed something but it seems a valid question to me.
    Star Treking, across the universe. Only going forward because we can't find reverse...
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    maybe i missed something or am not picking up on sometconsting. but to me it was not clear which defiant the story was refering to... the constitution class U.S.S. Defiant seen in ENT or DS9's Defiant.

the reason i'm not sure, is in ENT, the defiant there got into the mirror universe (and back in time) when the ship was attack by tholians using some sort of tricobalt based weapon. after which it was first captured by the tholians, and subsequently by the mirror Enterpirse crew.

This is exactly why it would help to have a blurb at the end of each of the stories, listing which Star Trek Series and Episodes are being referenced.
    (as I requested at the start of this thread)
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    Well it did say 23rd century, so I was assuming that it was the Constitution-class Defiant from "The Tholian Web"/"In A Mirror Darkly".
  • Options
    nrankonranko Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2016

The story states that they're in the 23rd century and the Defiant is gonna vanish in two months. Logically that can only mean the constitution class, because Sisko's Defiant isn't gonna be built for another 100 years.

Plus, it's mentioned that they're close to Tholian space.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    nranko wrote: »

The story states that they're in the 23rd century and the Defiant is gonna vanish in two months. Logically that can only mean the constitution class, because Sisko's Defiant isn't gonna be built for another 100 years.

Plus, it's mentioned that they're close to Tholian space.

not everyone understands what all of the trek canon is about, only those who know enough, know its the connie defiant and not the two versions of the defiant class later on. one that actually was the defiant until it was turned into slagged metal, the next one was named as the capitol of brazil but it had dispensation to be renamed to defiant, this second defiant is the same that is on sto commanded by Captain Kurland. to any one else who is not well versed in this they could be confused by it as the connie defiant was only known for a very few episodes unlike the defiant class which has had 4 seasons on ds9.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.