test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The New TV Series and STO

Will Cryptic tell stories too when the new TV serie launch in 2017 or visa versa ?
Will they respond if there will be an new enemy pops up ??
What do you think as a player ?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."

Comments

• Options
    bazagbazag Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    STO has its own universe. Honestly I doubt there will be much, if any, cross over between the two. Firstly, not sure of the licensing situation. Whether cryptic CAN even use it. Secondly, Cryptic have their own stories to tell (Same with the TV series). Thirdly, we know nothing of the TV show we don't know how compatible its setting is with STO's.

• Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Well... there was the SyFy Channel and Defiance TV/game crossover...

So, who knows what may be in the works at this time...
  • Options
    caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    tousseau wrote: »
    Well... there was the SyFy Channel and Defiance TV/game crossover...

So, who knows what may be in the works at this time...

I love how you coincidentally mention this in the past tense, as befitting for something that died.

This should be avoided at all costs in the future. I predict it was someone who no longer has employment that came up with that concept in the first place.
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • Options
    commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    My ideal world is that STO is canon, but the show takes place 20+ years later. The Long War is over, the Alpha Quandrant Alliance is still closely tied together and very strong, and Starfleet has been fully rededicated to exploration.

Trek is classically episodic, but episodic shows don't work very well anymore. I think it should have an A plot and B plot. A plot is "problem of the week", B plot is a greater thing that is always going on in the background, some mystery this ship and crew are on a mission to solve.

Think of how the first 4-5 seasons of Burn Notice were structured, and I think that's a good model for a new Trek show.

Also one of the benefits of canonizing STO is that STO already has a lot of high quality models of numerous new ships that would look damned beautiful on the screen.

Under no circumstances should they try to turn Star Trek into a mindless action fest like "Renegades" which is the most un-Trek Trek I've ever seen.

We don't need commandos and mindless explosions, we need it to feel like Trek again. It should be about exploration and solving the mysteries of the universe (and the human heart).
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • Options
    Ok... other examples...

Cryptic and WotC with the Neverwinter game... the recent Mods have been coinciding with D&D book releases.

Abrams Star Trek movies... I forget the name of the game, but it was intended as a link (lore-wise) between the first 2 movies.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    *DELETED DUE TO DUPLICATE POST*
    Post edited by caldannach on
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • Options
    themartianthemartian Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    I wouldn't want the new show to tie in to STO's story. STO is Cryptic's vision of Star Trek and I'd want them to do their own thing. That's not a dig at Cryptic, I like a lot of the story choices they've made (over reliance on Iconians notwithstanding), I just think it's better to start with a blank page. While I want it based very much in the universe of the previous TV shows, I wouldn't want it to be overly referential to them either as that's a barrier to new fans and could be limiting.
    My alt army:
    K'ymara, Orion Engineer. Caedera of Borg, Liberated Borg Tactical, Elyza Vix, Joined Trill Scientist. Christina Bellona, Augmented Human Tactical.
    T'Lana, Vulcan Scientist. Arbol, Martian Tactical. Ayzer Bryn, Joined Trill Engineer. Hawke, Betazoid Scientist. Karna Valkras, Klingon Engineer. Beth Parker, Human Tactical
    Sarel, Romulan Engineer (Federation). Yazuri, Reman Scientist (KDF)
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    I hope like hell they dont tie it in... with the direction STO's writing has gone since DR..... itd set the bar too damned low for that show and make ENT look good... which should be impossible
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    I hope like hell they dont tie it in... with the direction STO's writing has gone since DR..... itd set the bar too damned low for that show and make ENT look good... which should be impossible

Come on Marty! We've got to send you BACK... TO THE FUTURE!
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options

Come on Marty! We've got to send you BACK... TO THE FUTURE!

Even that is a step up from where we are atm... with the exception of Midnight the writing around here has been a special kind of garbage. Considering how the Klingons and Romulans got handled by Cryptic.. the LAST thing I want to see is more of this in a canon environment.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    IIRC, the tv show will be in the reboot universe. There might be a crossover, but we'd be way in their future.
  • Options
    swamarian wrote: »
    IIRC, the tv show will be in the reboot universe. There might be a crossover, but we'd be way in their future.

actually I think the one thing we got sorta-confirmed was that it was NOT in JJverse
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    The TV show=CBS
    The JJ Verse=Paramount

Pretty sure the new show will not be in the JJ Verse, they are run by 2 different studios. It'd be cool if there was a crossover between the game and the show, though. That would require CBS communicating with Cryptic what is involved in the storyline, and the last bit I read, CBS is playing it pretty close to the vest...
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    bergins wrote: »
    The TV show=CBS
    The JJ Verse=Paramount

Pretty sure the new show will not be in the JJ Verse, they are run by 2 different studios. It'd be cool if there was a crossover between the game and the show, though. That would require CBS communicating with Cryptic what is involved in the storyline, and the last bit I read, CBS is playing it pretty close to the vest...

Yes, because CBS is adverse to cross promotion and would never partner/cross-promote any aspect of the JJ Abrams films (like including the Hobus Supernova and destruction of Romulus storyline from the ST09 film by Paramount into an online game licensed by CBS to an MMO developer, such as STO and Cryptic Studios, ...oh, wait... ;) )

My point? Until more official info Is released about the new 2017 Star trek series, we won' know for sure; but a cross-pollination between Paramount/CBS is not all that impossible given the cross promotion CBS/Paramount have done with Star Trek since 2009.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    Yea but the jjverse production company is the one making the show. At least jj himself is busy on SW so we have that going. Unfortunately cbs is planning to put the new series on its paid streaming channel. I hope they at least change that.

I know i wont pay just to watch it.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    I think it would be cool if the new trek show took place in the prime universe, immediately after Hobus. Then showed all the fallout that happens from that event in the prime universe. It could definitely make for a good TV show.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    I just had an image of... "Epohhs! Get your epohhs here... Would you like an epohh friend?"... coming from my TV for the show intro... With Tnkie Winkie and Barney dancing across the screen...

*shudders....*
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Yea but the jjverse production company is the one making the show. At least jj himself is busy on SW so we have that going. Unfortunately cbs is planning to put the new series on its paid streaming channel. I hope they at least change that.

JJverse production company (Bad Robot) is not involved with the series. This is being produced solely by Kurtzman's company which is Secret Hideout.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    kirk2390 wrote: »
    Will Cryptic tell stories too when the new TV serie launch in 2017 or visa versa ?
    Will they respond if there will be an new enemy pops up ??
    What do you think as a player ?

The new series will be in what's called "J.J. Trek".​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options

Wow. So you appear to be a Star Trek fan, yet you wouldn't pay to watch or support the first new Star Trek show in years?

This actually makes me sad. Pretty much sums up everything that is wrong with people on the internet these days.
  • Options
    And JJ isn't busy with Star Wars, he is only directing the first movie, which as we all know has been and gone. The other movies are to be directed by different people.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    The executive producer (Alex Kurtzman) cowrote and coproduced both of the jjverse movies. (Although he's not involved in the third one.)
  • Options
    caldannach wrote: »

Wow. So you appear to be a Star Trek fan, yet you wouldn't pay to watch or support the first new Star Trek show in years?

This actually makes me sad. Pretty much sums up everything that is wrong with people on the internet these days.
    dunno bout him but I wont pay to watch ONE tv show on a paid streaming service... now if I like the show Id prolly pay for merchandise but... no.. Im not subbing up to a streaming service just to watch 1hr a week.
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    caldannach wrote: »

dunno bout him but I wont pay to watch ONE tv show on a paid streaming service... now if I like the show Id prolly pay for merchandise but... no.. Im not subbing up to a streaming service just to watch 1hr a week.

This, Nothing else on that service interests me. So I would be paying for one show. Not interested. I'll wait for Hulu to get it like every other trek show.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Be kinda cool if somehow being a paying customer of STO would give one a chance to see the first couple of episodes for free.
    Oh and from what we've been told so far, it won't be in the JJ-Trek Universe.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    @daveyny

I haven't seen *any* official(key word) comment about the setting of the series. Link?

Michael Dorn actually said it *was* in the JJ verse, but later retracted that.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    @daveyny

I haven't seen *any* official(key word) comment about the setting of the series. Link?

Michael Dorn actually said it *was* in the JJ verse, but later retracted that.

I guess it's more speculation than fact, but they have been quoted as saying that it is "...not related..." to the next Trek movie "Beyond".
    Based on that, it might be reasonable to believe that it won't be set in the JJ-Trek Universe.

Until we have something more concrete to go with..., that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

<cheesy grin>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    not to mention bad robot and cbs aint friendly atm
  • Options
    grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    If they would pickup after the iconian menage it would be to peacefull, if they pick up after the last Mission that Picard did in Hobus that could be intresting... all in all it stays secret but somehow I hope they would work with Cryptic on this. And saying TV show is diferent we shaped STO in a way so it looked like the TV Show Map... So why not returning the favor. O and please nothing like JJ Abrams verse that would be hororable in many ways !!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    I think if there was to be game/show continuity, then they would both have to launch together like the Defiance game/show as mentioned above. I doubt that STO or the new show will follow each other, especially if the rumours are true, and the new show is in the JJverse.

I am hopeful the new show will be a third reboot; like they're doing with the DCCU and DCTV; one universe for the films, and another for series. We'll see anyway, in time.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222