test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gentle Repose

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
Walker rubbed the stubble on his chin once again. Sixteen hours in the command chair wasn’t doing him any favors. After a tumbling ride through the Hobus shockwave—again—and a trip back to 23rd century Excalbia, he was more than ready to head off shift, but a captain’s work was never done.

~LaughingTrendy

Comments

• Options
    nrankonranko Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Hm, anniversary episode involving the Defiant in the Mirror Universe with some guest voice acting by the Enterprise cast?
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Temporal mechanics make no sense. How can you monitor and protect a timeline against changes that already happened when they haven't happened in the first place? Still not a fan. The stories are all well written so far, but just not a fan of the material pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    This is one of those moments when it pays to have a somewhat intimate knowledge of ALL the assorted Trek episodes.

Hey Trendy, how about listing an episode addendum at the end of these stories, as to which Series and Episode is being referenced, so folks can rewatch those particular ones to refresh their memories?
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Temporal mechanics make no sense. How can you monitor and protect a timeline against changes that already happened when they haven't happened in the first place? Still not a fan. The stories are all well written so far, but just not a fan of the material pig-1.gif​​
    I'm guessing the "divergent" timelines are alternate "active" timelines, and still can be influenced by each other. My theory is that 'shielding' each other from timeline changes is merely just creating a pocket 'window' in the old "divergent" timeline that cross-exists briefly in the new "active" timeline.

Or something.

...I hate temporal mechanics.
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    This is one of those moments when it pays to have a somewhat intimate knowledge of ALL the assorted Trek episodes.

Hey Trendy, how about listing an episode addendum at the end of these stories, as to which Series and Episode is being referenced, so folks can rewatch those particular ones to refresh their memories?
    B)
    How funny! I was just talking with the team re: pushing for another one of those for our next set of blogs!
  • Options
    hotstuff1701hotstuff1701 Member Posts: 45 Arc User

B)
    How funny! I was just talking with the team re: pushing for another one of those for our next set of blogs!

It's almost as if daveyny already KNEW that you were going to do just th.......uh oh!!!! ;-)

• Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,333 Arc User
    Referencing the USS Defiant (NCC-1764) which is a Constitution-class.
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Defiant_(NCC-1764)

If it wasn't already known that the T6 constitution class was a no go then it would by now be ranked as the most likely vessel for the anniversary.

Wells class is also not a likely candidate. Better continue speculating for now.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Hey, perhaps I'm developing psychic abilities after all!!!

Nah..., That's not it...

The cameras I have watching Trendy 24/7 is much easier...

<Evil Chuckle> >:)o:)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    It would be interesting to see a distinction between the various timestreams and the concept of the multiverse. Being able to monitor multiple possibilities is difficult enough to grasp let alone multiple universes at the same time, but any reference would be nice.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,333 Arc User

Nah..., That's not it...

Cameras? I thought you preferred low tech solutions such as hiding behind the shower curtain.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    I usually enjoy these little stories...but this one was painful to read.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    orangeitis wrote: »
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I'm guessing the "divergent" timelines are alternate "active" timelines, and still can be influenced by each other. My theory is that 'shielding' each other from timeline changes is merely just creating a pocket 'window' in the old "divergent" timeline that cross-exists briefly in the new "active" timeline.

Or something.

...I hate temporal mechanics.

Incoming headache in 5... 4... 3... 2...
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    questerius wrote: »

If it wasn't already known that the T6 constitution class was a no go then it would by now be ranked as the most likely vessel for the anniversary.

Wells class is also not a likely candidate. Better continue speculating for now.

Although...

Using the Defiant (NCC-1764) which is from the Mirror Universe, could conceivably be a possible way for Cryptic to skirt around the T-5/6 issue. Technically, it's possible it is no longer considered a Constitution Class vessel, as the Mirror Universe folks could have upgraded it to be a much more capable 24th century ship.

We might just end up having our Anniversary Cake and eating it too.
    B)
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Nah..., That's not it...

Cameras? I thought you preferred low tech solutions such as hiding behind the shower curtain.

Unfortunately, my personal Cloaking Device is out for repairs.
    :'(
  • Options
    danielhunter1991danielhunter1991 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    I have to say I really enjoy these blogs, they give me something to feed on until the next episode which I hope is coming very soon.
  • Options

Although...

Using the Defiant (NCC-17 64) which is from the Mirror Universe, could conceivably be a possible way for Cryptic to skirt around the T-5/6 issue. Technically, it's possible it is no longer considered a Constitution Class vessel, as the Mirror Universe folks could have upgraded it to be a much more capable 24th century ship.

B)

I believe I just heard all the TOS fans wetting themselves.
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    I'll let the Doctor speak for me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2nNzNo_Xps​​
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User

Although...

Using the Defiant (NCC-1764) which is from the Mirror Universe, could conceivably be a possible way for Cryptic to skirt around the T-5/6 issue. Technically, it's possible it is no longer considered a Constitution Class vessel, as the Mirror Universe folks could have upgraded it to be a much more capable 24th century ship.

B)

not really, anything pertaining directly to the connie in any shape or form is locked down by cbs and paramount in both cases. there is no technicality i can see even if the class name was changed because visually its the connie that everyone knows.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    ALL HAIL EMPRESS SATO! :p

Wait.. Ensign Lefler? ohhhh that could be interesting...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    megawolf0megawolf0 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Well, this should be fun. All this timey wimey stuff is going to be a headache my toon will rest for a few months.
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    edited January 2016

Say, any chance we can get these awesome behind-the-scenes stories added in-game for those poor folks who don't frequent the forums? There is a lot of really rich lore here that helps make sense of what is happening in-game. It would be great to re-open and make Memory Alpha the in-game place to find it:

arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1208604/time-to-re-open-memory-alpha-as-a-true-repository-of-knowledge

o:)
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Also the USS Defiant isnt from the MU, the episode that you are viewing from on the ISS enterprise is in the MU itself and the Defiant was from the prime universe when the tholians stole it.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    it really does sound exhausting to be that temporal captain guy.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User

Although...

B)

not really, anything pertaining directly to the connie in any shape or form is locked down by cbs and paramount in both cases. there is no technicality i can see even if the class name was changed because visually its the connie that everyone knows.

So name it "Mirror universe adapted light cruiser" and give it a unique (optional!) skin. Not the Defiant, and not a Connie, but the Terran's initial attempt to reproduce it. A Connie with an NX-class aesthetic and a Terran Empire emphasis on tactical systems.
  • Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    Another great story guys. Much love for these blogs.
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    It would be interesting to see a distinction between the various timestreams and the concept of the multiverse. Being able to monitor multiple possibilities is difficult enough to grasp let alone multiple universes at the same time, but any reference would be nice.

Those timestreams should by definition interact within the multiverse meaning all temporal agents also have business across different universes, at least by my thinking and by how "Gentle Repose" puts it.

Really enjoyable read, and real excited to see temporal-related things incoming.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    I'll let the Doctor speak for me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2nNzNo_Xps​​

I wondered how long it would be before Dr Who was mentioned
  • Options
    forthegamerforthegamer Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    If the Anniversary ship is a T6 Connie, I'd actually be quite shocked.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    So the Na'kuhl want to restart the Yesterday's Enterprise timeline? Interesting. And wasn't it the Dominion that conquered the Alpha/Beta Quadrants in that timeline? The Tholians just got a chunk of space for helping out.

And it's interesting that they chose to bring up the U.S.S. Defiant. If they pursue a story arc based on The Tholian Web/In a Mirror Darkly it might conflict with my Foundry mission. :P
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    If you look closely at this story, it seems to bring up something I've been suspicious of for some time: Not just one but two (at least) alternate timelines/universes at play here. The first one involves the Defiant, which ends up in the classic Mirror Universe where you've got the Terran Empire and Mirror-Leeta. The second one that we are reminded of in this story is the one that involves the Enterprise-C which, according to the "Temporal Ambassador" episode, makes a [brief] stop in another timeline where the Terran Empire doesn't exist, and the Tholians are one of the major powers in the quadrant. It's this second timline that's made me wonder whether or not it's the reason the Tholians are so involved in the current STO storyline. We could end up in a three-way battle between "us," the Mirror Universe, and the Tholians
    Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
    jH7LGEi.jpg