What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

These God awful PUG queues

2»

Comments

• Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I would rather see not a true cull of content, but more of a rotation of available public content. So basically you have 50 ques that the public que list is created from either on a weekly or bi-weekly schedule. I would say that as others have said it would need to have enough content that gives access to the rep-marks for each active rep, while also not allowing too many repeats of the same content (this would mean making more content that gives romulan, and Nukara mark, as well as other reps that have fewer ques to get marks from), as such this would mean that each rep would need at least 3 ground an space stfs. One reason i think such a rotating public que list would work is that it would push the less popular ques into the forefront by shifting out the quicker/more popular ques out of circulation at times, though i would say that giving a bonus/perk for doing public ques would be nice as well.

I agree we have enough solo content in the game as is (such as with story missions, battle-zones, patrols, and what not) that we don't really need a push away from more social group based content that a push for more solo content would create. I would love to see them implement a long content category, which would be you playing thru two to three stfs in a linked story-line (like how infected space an ground were where they were brought in) an that playing these longer stf-linked ques would give access to exclusive projects/rewards from the reps that are associated with them. I could see things like unique sets of rep gear, weapons, boffs, vanity/tailoring options/rep specific ships even, but also increased rep marks from completion (like that completing this long que might earn you triple the marks you would get from running both infected ground an space separately.).

Lastly i would love to see a form of large scale almost raid-like content that might even be geared towards fleets, like a fleet being asked to investigate rumors of a large tholian base, or disabling a renegade Herald base that is attacking the systems around them.
  • Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    azniadeet wrote: »
    The problem isn't as bad as this player base makes it out to be. As a person who very regularly pugs, I'm comfortable saying that the community has more of a problem losing their cool when things don't go just right, than they have actually completing content.

And if you can't carry a rough pug, go back to the drawing board yourself. Think of bad players as part of the challenge in the game, develop strategies to deal with broken strategies, rethink your own plan of attack to account for the unpredictability of others.

You will be a better player for it. IMO, there's far more satisfaction in dragging an inexperienced pug team through iga with the optional in tact, than there is in parsing the biggest dps of your life. That's the hallmark of a real elite.

PUGs are the spice of this game. If everyone knew all of the strategies and everyone executed perfectly, then every run would be about the same. Thank god the players behaviour varies to preserve the aire of variety that this game lacks anywhere else- including the public/private channels.

This I do as best as I can. The one thing I can't seem to plan appropriately for is when players leave the instance. Then I am so outnumbered that I can't remain alive long enough to get anything completed in time. And if I am doing normal, then I usually am not geared to be a tank on my ship and die quite a bit. I am not a very good tanking player, but usually as long as I have one other person in the instance, I will get the STF completed. That's usually when I have the most fun because I have to think more on how to get things done. And I tend to use more of my clicky powers to either save my bacon, other person or just get something done.

Which is why I would like to see them change the STF's so that you can go with any number of players up to 5. To me that's fun trying to figure out how to beat the STF with less than five players.

Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    And if you can't carry a rough pug, go back to the drawing board yourself. Think of bad players as part of the challenge in the game, develop strategies to deal with broken strategies, rethink your own plan of attack to account for the unpredictability of others.

You will be a better player for it. IMO, there's far more satisfaction in dragging an inexperienced pug team through iga with the optional in tact, than there is in parsing the biggest dps of your life. That's the hallmark of a real elite.

Very much agreed with this. I'm not going to say that everyone should be capable of carrying PUG groups, that wouldn't be reasonable to expect. But indeed, if someone's unable to carry or lead a team, then it does say something about that player too.

IMHO, you're not 'good' if all you can do is deal with pre-mades, where all the behaviour is predictable and all the teammates could almost solo the mission.

I remember I got in a discussion somewhere, in some mission. I don't remember what it was all about, but I think it was a KAGA where we were running out of time. So I explained in team chat that we wouldn't have the time to clear the entire room first, and we'd just have to kill some enemies as long as there was still some time remaining and to reduce the incoming fire at least a bit, and then start working on the nodes.
    Someone got angry when the room wasn't entirely clear yet and I made the shields drop. To summarise, he thought that playing 'elites' -as he called it- was to go by the book, knowing the manuals basically. I disagreed then and I still disagree. Playing elite or advanced means, to me, being flexible. If all you can do is play according to some predetermined strategy and if you're not able to find other ways of getting things done, then you're simply not good.

I also remember I pugged IGA, just after Delta Rising hit. We were, again, running out of time so we decided to skip most of the enemies after the room with Ogen and just go save the last two crewmen (there were still insta-fail optionals back then and some corrections that were made later hadn't been made yet).
    We did it. Only to find out the mission was bugged and incompletable, but still. That team was a real elite team. Not because we were able to kill everything with great ease, but because we were able to adapt to certain circumstances.

For me, PUG's are the missions where you distinguish the real advanced players from the rest. The former figure things out themselves and use that knowledge if the situation requires it. The latter are good copy-pasters at best. They've probably seen some awesome builds or manuals, copied it and started using it themselves, but when something unexpected happens, they lack the ability and skill to come up with new tactics.
  • Options
    Oh and even if you don't get an optional, if the team shows they're willing to learn (like happened an IGN I was playing yesterday or the KAGN a few days ago on my main space character with teams that was clearly doing it for the first time) then the mission is still a success to me.

Of course, if you only get satisfaction from performing literally all missions flawlessly and with all optionals obtained, then yes, you shouldn't PUG. It's asking for trouble and disappointment if perfection is your only motive for playing the game.
  • Options
    kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    The problem isn't as bad as this player base makes it out to be. As a person who very regularly pugs, I'm comfortable saying that the community has more of a problem losing their cool when things don't go just right, than they have actually completing content.

PUGs are the spice of this game. If everyone knew all of the strategies and everyone executed perfectly, then every run would be about the same. Thank god the players behaviour varies to preserve the aire of variety that this game lacks anywhere else- including the public/private channels.

I agree too, but too few others will. Too many want guaranteed runs and guaranteed rewards that come with them. When things go south, even for one optional, hell comes for all the others. :|
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    risian4 wrote: »
    Oh and even if you don't get an optional, if the team shows they're willing to learn (like happened an IGN I was playing yesterday or the KAGN a few days ago on my main space character with teams that was clearly doing it for the first time) then the mission is still a success to me.

Of course, if you only get satisfaction from performing literally all missions flawlessly and with all optionals obtained, then yes, you shouldn't PUG. It's asking for trouble and disappointment if perfection is your only motive for playing the game.

Well said.

I'm more than happy to miss optionals or even fail sometimes if I see the team trying the mission as best as they can. Even someone with low DPS scores is not bad if you can see them trying to follow the mission and do what's needed. I've seen too many queues buggered up because of some "elite" idiot zooming off to go all Rambo and messing it all up because they either don't pay attention to the team or thought they knew better.
    Take KSA for example, i'd be more than happy if we had a couple of guys in a team with low DPS who could only killed the probes as long as it was clear they knew the importance of that role and helped out the team by sticking to it. When you get people who ignore the probes because they think it's grunt-work, that's when it goes wrong.
    Post edited by jodarkrider on
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    lordsteve1 wrote: »

Well said.

I'm more than happy to miss optionals or even fail sometimes if I see the team trying the mission as best as they can. Even someone with low DPS scores is not bad if you can see them trying to follow the mission and do what's needed. I've seen too many queues buggered up because of some "elite" idiot zooming off to go all Rambo and messing it all up because they either don't pay attention to the team or thought they knew better.
    Take KSA for example, i'd be more than happy if we had a couple of guys in a team with low DPS who could only killed the probes as long as it was clear they knew the importance of that role and helped out the team by sticking to it. When you get idiots who ignore the probes because they think it's grunt-work, that's when it goes wrong.

Hehe yeah I saw something similar in ISA a long time ago, when there were insta-fails. Everyone was going left, we destroyed all stationary targets there, no problems so far. Then, when we were still killing (and, I must admit it was right after DR so also struggling with) some of the remaining nanite spheres and with one guy dead, a guy in a Scimitar flies off to the right side and starts FAW'ing everything, including a generator. He probably wanted to achieve some DPS record and thus flew to the right side where there were more enemies to hit with FAW.

He posted a parse which indicated he did much more damage than us. I couldn't help but tell him he still screwed up the mission by not waiting for the rest of the team and suddenly doing something stupid (i.e. not checking his fire for his personal benefit and to the detriment of the team) before anyone else could respond.
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    It would be pretty cool to see some 2-4 man missions offered in the queues.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User

I would be happy to have you on my team any day
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • Options
    whistlerdavidwhistlerdavid Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    i feel your pain
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    Greed killed the game. Damn shame to. I would have keep spending money and kept on playing if things would not have gotten so far fetched. Its nice to have rare items in a game but when people who want them are forced to spend large amounts of money to get a item in a "Video Game". Its destined to fail. When you step back and look at it from a couple of diffrent view points you realize just how crazy expensive it is to play this game and hope to be treated the same way you would be treated if you bought a game for 50.00 or even paid 14.99 a month for it. Imagine this? What if I told you that you could get skyrim, oblivion, fallout 3 and new vegas (all of those with ALL thier DLC), KOTOR 1 and 2, Batman arkham city, Assassins Creed 2 and 3 and Farcry 3 all for the price of a tier 6 3 ship zen bundle (6000 zen). You say I was crazy right? Well I did, all on steam but I still got them (its all digital anyways).

I know some ppl just can't be convinced. They are hooked and I guess thats fine but I am not your enemy. I just feel like ppl should just get more for thier money. You think about it. Would you really prefer a 3 pack of ships over 8 to 10 really good games you could play for months (they don't have to be the ones I mentioned above, there are hundreds to choose from). I can't answer that but I hope you would pick the games. Anyways from one gamer to another. Have fun no matter what your playing.

i
  • Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Hmm....I don't really have an issue with pugs...a bad group gets dragged along in my glorious godhood of shiny death things. As for spacebar = I win mine is 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 repeat and everything dies in a Science Strobe light of doom.
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• Options
    themic609themic609 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    I can't actually remember the time I did a ground PUG of anything. It's sad to be honest that the game has gone downhill so much. Oh well no point in complaining about it lol just gotta get on with it.
    "Helm Prepare Maneuver Circle Target Alpha, Tactical Prepare BFAW3 and mash Spacebar"

• Options
    accordvtec77accordvtec77 Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    I don't know if this was yet another result of the Delta Rising revamp, but the reason I don't do as many PUG queues anymore, is a "team leader" issue I've noticed since. For example, if our team leader is 50...that's what the ENTIRE team fights at. Meanwhile the NPCs are mopping us up, because they are fighting at 60. Now I don't have any hard evidence on this...just something I've noticed when observing weapon damage from my own ship. The lower our team leader's level, the less damage my weapons do. It COULD be my imagination, but it happens too often for it to be a simple coincidence.
  • Options
    I don't know if this was yet another result of the Delta Rising revamp, but the reason I don't do as many PUG queues anymore, is a "team leader" issue I've noticed since. For example, if our team leader is 50...that's what the ENTIRE team fights at. Meanwhile the NPCs are mopping us up, because they are fighting at 60. Now I don't have any hard evidence on this...just something I've noticed when observing weapon damage from my own ship. The lower our team leader's level, the less damage my weapons do. It COULD be my imagination, but it happens too often for it to be a simple coincidence.

If you're playing normal queues, you always get downscaled to level 50. That has nothing to do with who's team leader. AFAIK, being the team leader in a PUG makes no difference, not with regards to difficulty, privileges, nothing.

Well, ok. You can make someone else the team leader but that's about it.
  • Options
    accordvtec77accordvtec77 Member Posts: 140 Arc User

If you're playing normal queues, you always get downscaled to level 50. That has nothing to do with who's team leader. AFAIK, being the team leader in a PUG makes no difference, not with regards to difficulty, privileges, nothing.

Well, ok. You can make someone else the team leader but that's about it.

Sorry I should've specified which STF's I'm doing. Prior to Delta Rising, they were called "Elite". Now they're called "Advanced". Those are the ones I'm running. Those are the ones that to me, seem like we are being scaled up (or down) to whatever our team leader is. Again, I could be wrong.
  • Options
    jkwrangler2010jkwrangler2010 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    If they would make every que "choice of marks", I would bet more people would play the different ques.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    ^ but then that makes the point of the reputation system null and void almost. You're supposed to go and fight Voth to get Voth reputation, or fight Borg to get neural processors.
    It makes no sense lore wise. to get marks from completely unrelated content or races for just any old queue.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    If they would make every que "choice of marks", I would bet more people would play the different ques.

After a change like that, hardly anyone would play anything besides ISA and CCA. And NTTE for those who enjoy ground.
  • Options
    xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    The queues were pretty active before a certain update hit us, The best one evar.

And we're still sifting through the fallout. I'm in a large fleet (fleets actually). We used to call for matches all the time and not just the old standbys. Used to be we'd run multiple matches as whenever something was called, so many people would X up, there would almost always be more than necessary. Pretty much whatever one wanted to run, they'd have company.

Now, not only am I still in this large fleet, but in 2 armadas with who knows who many more players, and it is... difficult to fill even a 5-man ISA. And yes, I can tell you exactly when this change occurred. Which was about the same time I stopped going to the "channels", as I felt I had no business being there anymore. Things are a little better now, only I still haven't run many of the queues post-DR. Between that and still feeling inadequate with my less than uber DPS, I still don't go to the channels. It's a personal issue, I know, but it is what it is.

So yeah, as a full time pugger, it does get a bit weary either waiting for a queue to pop or waiting for the timer on the same queue to expire.
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    galatt wrote: »

I would be happy to have you on my team any day

Agreed, I play the same way, trying to be flexible in battle (so much so I use -shock!- team buffs and things like draw fire)​​
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    stuart1965 wrote: »
    Consistantly everyday these PUG queues are mostly dead.
    There is a mismatch in the reward/effort ratio between the different maps. As a result some of them are dead while others are populated enough to get a game going in less than 2 mins.
    There seems to be abuse in the queues, that is when the engage signal happens,one or two players usually pull out, forcing even longer waiting times to get onto a PvE mission.
    It’s no abuse; one can queue up for 3 maps at the same time. If one pops and you hit engage you are removed from the other queues automatically.
    Its not the same in some fleets I know, but from what I have seen, not many players these days want to team up, so its no wonder the queues are dead.
    DR doubled the difficulty setting for advanced maps throughout the bank. Since then power creep offers players to get three times as strong to compensate for that. Unfortunately to do so takes a lot of effort most are simply not willing to undertake and rather tend to easy peasy solo contend instead.
    I'm sure some players may agree with me, not all I know, There needs to be more single player PvE missions, surely whats around can eventually be modified, and with a view to scrapping these god awful PUG queues.
    What has single player contend to do with queues? This game has enough contend that can be consumed by players not willing to team up. Multiplayer contend is particularly fun because it’s not single player contend and should stay that way!
    Its NO fun at all,having to queue up and wait ages to get on one mission. Its wasting fun time.
    Adapt by focusing on PvE queues that pop swiftly. ISA, CSA, CCA, KASA, CPA, GGA, DRSE, BOTSE, NTTE & BHE are supported well enough to get a match going. Shorten your brief waiting time even further by Doffing and playing Admiralty.
    OK it will be like getting blood out of a stone, but is there some miracle that a Dev might read this with a view to addressing dead queues???
    I’m clueless if or what they are going to do. If I take the playing behavior from a few dozen friends in game, four fleets I’m in as well as 8 DPS channels I’m part of into account my first two suggestions would be:

- Enhance rewards in underused queues in iterations until they fall in line. Bad and boring missions also have a price. If it’s payed peeps are going to play it. Mirror Universe Incursion is the best proof.

- Reduce the 3 difficulty setting to 2 and thereby strip nearly 1/3 of close to never played maps. While normal ground maps are needed by no one I also often turn out to be surprised how many elite space maps are ignored even by high DPS channels in favor of their advanced counterparts. Simply take out the underused difficulty settings of the respective maps.
    We live in Hope.
    I doubt the devs will do anything except drawing good conclusions out of it. They will simply think that team PvE is not wanted anymore and when a too low participation judges them right they will let it rot like PvP.

My suggestion is to take matters into your own hands. Gather some friends, play, get better and keep on queueing up. It’s the only contend worth doing in this game which won’t end you up being bored in the long run.

P.S. Pugs are NOT awful at the moment. Some peeps in this very thread like Deet and Risian see to that and I bet there are a lot of others around.

Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    It’s no abuse; one can queue up for 3 maps at the same time. If one pops and you hit engage you are removed from the other queues automatically.

Not sure this is correct...or at least bugged. I have had queues pop while I was already in a queue before. I'm gonna have to look into this when I play next now that I know this is what is suppose to happen.

Yea could be, alternatives are also lag, snrs, map moves which take longer cuz of loading times. And sure on some of the maps I suppose that the waiting time is simply so long that peeps forgot about the queue and simply tend to something else in game while still being queued up.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated