test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Purple boffs turning blue? o.o

jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 558 Arc User
So, here recently, I've been noticing something mighty odd on my KDF toons. For some reason, whenever I recruit a boff through a doff mission, or get one from exchange, purple quality officers wind up turning to blue upon commissioning. This is especially notorious with Gorn boffs.
Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    Saurians have similar issues on fed side.
  • sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    First of all what do expect when you shove them out of an airlock without an EVA suit? Joking aside I raised this the O.S.T. back in september 2015. I can't say anymore than that sorry.

This is the link to the original thread I found concerning this issue​​
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• jamboxdotcomjamboxdotcom Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    Are their stats changing in any way, or is it more a display bug? I.e. they're being tagged as the wrong rarity? Because from what I've seen, rarity of boffs is a TRIBBLE shoot to begin with. I.e. you can get greens/blues with all the best traits and abilities, and purples with TRIBBLE traits and abilities (mostly traits, purple boffs do tend to have better abilities...but since those can mostly be changed, they're less of an issue).
  • sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    They do lose an ability if memory serves.​​
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    sqwished wrote: »
    They do lose an ability if memory serves.​​

They do yes, trait wise anyway as it looses a superior level trait.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • mcgrizzled86mcgrizzled86 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Are their stats changing in any way, or is it more a display bug? I.e. they're being tagged as the wrong rarity? Because from what I've seen, rarity of boffs is a TRIBBLE shoot to begin with. I.e. you can get greens/blues with all the best traits and abilities, and purples with TRIBBLE traits and abilities (mostly traits, purple boffs do tend to have better abilities...but since those can mostly be changed, they're less of an issue).

Nothing is actually changing between before and after being commissioned. So in that essence, it is only a display bug. What happens is the uncommissioned boff is being marked Very Rare completely by its Trait slot values. Purple has 2 Superior slots and 2 Regular slots. There are still several racial traits from the olden days that do not have Superior versions, but will take up a Superior slot. The commissioned officer itself is looking at the actual rarity of the traits in those slots. Since they aren't technically marked as Superior, these racial traits cause the commissioned office to then "lose" rarity value.

IIRC, this affects all boffs of that race equally when they have the racial trait (there aren't some boffs where the racial trait takes a Sup slot but on others it only takes a Reg slot), so if you are using that boff for the racial trait then that is still the best boff you can get. If you don't care about the racial trait; then yes, you could possibly be missing out on an actual Sup trait that a boff without the racial trait or a boff of another race would be able to put in that slot.
    Post edited by mcgrizzled86 on
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 558 Arc User
    So, in other words, because of a trait thingy, these "blue" Gorn are still the best I can get if the "started life" being purple?
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    So, in other words, because of a trait thingy, these "blue" Gorn are still the best I can get if the "started life" being purple?

They're actually blue, and always have been essentially.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • laghartolagharto Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    This happens to Lethean boffs too. Just bought 3 purple to my new alt and when I comissioned them, all 3 changed to blue.