test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

we need an episode that takes place on are ship

in every star trek series there has always been episodes that take place on the ship.everything from problems with people that you are taking some where to aliens possessing the crew.also what would be fun is we are off somewhere but before we get there we bump into some unknown. i have been watching tng and voyager and the episode where that god like alien is using the enterprise crew has lab rats.also that episode from voyager where the the crew can not see the aliens but they are experimenting on everyone. sorry guys i could not help myself was just thinking something like this would be fun

Comments

• berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    The problem with missions on our ships is that there are way too many different ship interiors being used by players to make this practical. Besides just the three factions, there's lock box ships, event ships, Lobi ships... Each has a unique interior, and some don't have more than a bridge. Not to mention, even just within Fed interiors, how many bridges are there that someone might have?

They would have to spend a season's worth of artist time just to get this idea started.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • whistlerdavidwhistlerdavid Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    bergins wrote: »
    The problem with missions on our ships is that there are way too many different ship interiors being used by players to make this practical. Besides just the three factions, there's lock box ships, event ships, Lobi ships... Each has a unique interior, and some don't have more than a bridge. Not to mention, even just within Fed interiors, how many bridges are there that someone might have?

They would have to spend a season's worth of artist time just to get this idea started.
    i know it will probably never happen i was just thinking out loud
  • captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    Not at all, they'd just give Fed Players the interior from Tutorial, "City on the Edge of Never" and "Delta Flight", and if they must add the least amount of new rooms, they could just leave out the hallways.
  • minababeminababe Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    I understand, OP, but yeah--like others have said--we don't have these types of stories for logistical reasons.

The closest STO could come is maybe having your character be a guest on board another Federation ship and then having a scenario break out there.
    My Foundry Mission--Name: Falling Star | Mission ID: HQIH36HAW | Faction: FED
  • misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    How about Me, Elisa dinner my quarters at 20:00hrs
    https://i.imgur.com/af3Vgvg.jpg?1
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Oh this again :-/. As much as we would love this its been quashed time and time again for technical reasons
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Something having to do with gremlins in the food processors would be a good departure. Or maybe a good 'Hide and Seek' mission.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    What about people flying lockbox or other alien ships? They'd be out of luck in that kind of system.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    Uh, a good chunk of the Delta Arc stories take place inside the Voyager - and the entirety of the "player owned bridge" (for those lucky enough to have acquired one) is a literal cut/paste of that set of maps (if not the actual maps themselves with a different set of NPCs).

So the concept is still possible...

Until you run into the facts:

Older bridges are on a different scale.
    You have at least 5 sets of "lower decks" - Intrepid, Connie, Fed, KDF, Romulan (Belfast -Defiant- bridge might be a 6th, I don't own it) - these would need to be "standardized".
    Lockbox & Lobi ships don't have "lower decks" at all.

All challenges to overcome to make "aboard ship" missions. Which is why it's always "you're off on someone else's ship, never your own..."
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
    minababe wrote: »
    I understand, OP, but yeah--like others have said--we don't have these types of stories for logistical reasons.

The closest STO could come is maybe having your character be a guest on board another Federation ship and then having a scenario break out there.
    well lets say Tuvok goes on leave and we are asked to take over voyager for a few days then a story happens
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    minababe wrote: »

well lets say Tuvok goes on leave and we are asked to take over voyager for a few days then a story happens

No thanks, that begs the question who's running our ship lol.

I don't want to command voyager. I want to command My ship.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    It's not that these types of missions would be "logistically impossible" because people have different bridge layouts, as some here have speculated. Although I can certainly understand Cryptic being stymied by that feature. It's that they'd just be another, rather pointless, ground map, like every other ground mission in the game. Just with a ship interior backdrop. You wouldn't be running around trying to figure out why your crew is disappearing, or who the psionic rapist is, or dealing with the zany antics of your counselor's mother, like in the TV shows. It would just be you, and your murderous crew, going from room to room, killing stuff, and interacting with switches. This game is kind of a one trick pony, in case you haven't noticed.
    every now and again cryptic has shown they are sometimes really good at storys.so it is possible for them to make an interesting story with a scenario like this
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    It's not that these types of missions would be "logistically impossible" because people have different bridge layouts, as some here have speculated. Although I can certainly understand Cryptic being stymied by that feature. It's that they'd just be another, rather pointless, ground map, like every other ground mission in the game. Just with a ship interior backdrop. You wouldn't be running around trying to figure out why your crew is disappearing, or who the psionic rapist is, or dealing with the zany antics of your counselor's mother, like in the TV shows. It would just be you, and your murderous crew, going from room to room, killing stuff, and interacting with switches. This game is kind of a one trick pony, in case you haven't noticed.
    every now and again cryptic has shown they are sometimes really good at storys.so it is possible for them to make an interesting story with a scenario like this
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I reckon.
    I t always was. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    the closest I can think of is Minescape.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    ive noticed that Cryptic care little for shipboard combat and exploration if the past 4 years has shown anything. i have not seen any exploration of the ship to find something or repairing systems and so on, and what little shipboard combat i have seen only involves a few specific missions, notably the tutorial and thats it. Besides, how can you boldy go where everyone has been before? you have to go where no one has gone before to make the point, but for some reason cryptic like to have the player always in combat, even if its in a supposed exploration mission.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,166 Arc User
    No, we don't "need" this. That said, I agree it could be cool, in theory. But what makes the idea cool is thinking about doing a mission on MY ship...which isn't possible. When they build a mission, they have to use a specific map. They can't build a mission that automatically detects and uses each of our own custom interiors. So a ship interior mission would have to take place on someone else's ship. And if that is going to be the case, the "cool" factor is lost for me. I'd rather just have a "normal" mission that takes place in some new sector/planet/etc.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • commodoreobviouscommodoreobvious Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    The simple solution (and for foundry too) is to make a set of interact points that are added to every bridge map that could have npcs, mobs, etc keyed to them. This means that a simple story could be mapped regardless of the players bridge, just with less customization than a normal map.

Alternately, they could make a mission on a standard (fed/rom/KDF) bridge and interior and just let people deal with the fact that it doesn't look like "their" bridge. Honestly, I'd rather have on ship stories with a different bridge set than not because it doesn't match mine perfectly.

Another note, I'd like to have BOFFs usable as npcs for foundry missions.
  • aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    Scene: me, sitting in Captains Chair, RWW Scimitar

Comms: "Captain! Urgent! You are needed in Engineering!"

Me: "um, but we don't have an engineering section. Just a Thalaron generator.."

Comms: "Captain! Engineering has exploded! Your help is needed in Med-bay!"

Me: "is that near the Thalaron generator? Cos if not..."

Comms "Captain!! FFS!!! The cargo bay is infected with Tribbles! Help!"

Me: "is that the cargo bay with the big thalaron generator? cos like..."

Comms *sound of mass hari-kuri*
    LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    Elaborate inside player-ship content starting from getting into existence with customizable, fitting to the individual ships interiors, and evolving into stuff to do in them; while totally doable cost a big time more than piling just another ship on the rooster which apparently still gets enough to open the wallet.

It is pretty much required if the game is intended to get closer to the Star Trek feeling and also to add a entirely new section to the c-store when ships not selling so well anymore.

But yeah. Needs dedication to do it, balls to do it right and an owner who is at least equally interested to the games evolution as in milking it.
    aliguana wrote: »
    Scene: me, sitting in Captains Chair, RWW Scimitar

Comms: "Captain! Urgent! You are needed in Engineering!"

Me: "um, but we don't have an engineering section. Just a Thalaron generator.."

Comms: "Captain! Engineering has exploded! Your help is needed in Med-bay!"

Me: "is that near the Thalaron generator? Cos if not..."

Comms "Captain!! FFS!!! The cargo bay is infected with Tribbles! Help!"

Me: "is that the cargo bay with the big thalaron generator? cos like..."

Comms *sound of mass hari-kuri*
    Well that made me laugh myself silly.

Funny thing though... only the Voy interior has a cargo bay. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    in every star trek series there has always been episodes that take place on the ship.everything from problems with people that you are taking some where to aliens possessing the crew.also what would be fun is we are off somewhere but before we get there we bump into some unknown. i have been watching tng and voyager and the episode where that god like alien is using the enterprise crew has lab rats.also that episode from voyager where the the crew can not see the aliens but they are experimenting on everyone. sorry guys i could not help myself was just thinking something like this would be fun

Yes, I think this would be fun and it's almost neccessary for the "complete" Star Trek story telling experience.

The existing interiors and bridge options obviously stand in the way. I think Cryptic developed in the wrong direction there andmight have put themselves in a corner from where they can't improve in any direction without having to restart something (and possibly pissing a lot of people off.).

But interiors as they exist are almost completely useless and will probably never serve as story content. And that's a shame.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    *reads thread title*

*triple facepalm*
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    Vanilla Forums allow Thread Subject revision by the OP. *Our*
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    It makes it that much worse... lol
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    Not much I guess, *our* options *are* not limited. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    The simple solution (and for foundry too) is to make a set of interact points that are added to every bridge map that could have npcs, mobs, etc keyed to them. This means that a simple story could be mapped regardless of the players bridge, just with less customization than a normal map.
    Well, "simple" is not neccessarilly actually simple. This might be a solution, but how hard would it actually be to implement? It would work very different from regular mission design, for example. How would that work out?
    Alternately, they could make a mission on a standard (fed/rom/KDF) bridge and interior and just let people deal with the fact that it doesn't look like "their" bridge. Honestly, I'd rather have on ship stories with a different bridge set than not because it doesn't match mine perfectly.
    I agree.

One - I am deliberately not saying easy - solution would be to get rid of the existing small/medium/large interior and replace them with a more or less standard interior that can be "flavored" with colors and props to fit the appropriate faction (and possibly additional player costumizations). Leave the bridges as they are, hwoever (since people actually bought them and they are very different), and use the "fixed interation points" idea.

That would give some more freedom in events happening outside your bridge, which is where I figure most of the variable action would happen anyway.

But there are still a lot of stylistic problems. Currently, a Klingon Warp Core looks quite different from a Federation one, and the Romulan Singularity core also uses a layout quite unique from the Federation and Klingon ones.

Maybe it all will require to go back to the fixed interaction and spawn points. But I don't think that's easy at all. Because it means you need to playtest a lot of configurations to ensure that SFX looks good, that NPCs don't spawn in unfortunate positions (half-way through the wall, too close together, sitting on a bunch of consoles) and so on. And the limitations of the interact system wouldn't make mission design easier at all, I think, because a lot of ideas could not be implemented.

And setting up all the interiors in the first place to have the right amount of interacts and capabilties would be a ton of work, especially since you can't miss any. (And of course, a lot of interiors must be expanded first to even work.)

Only Cryptic can really know how feasible it would be.

I think while you and I would be okay with using a generic interior instead of our chosen ones, I think too many people would find it jarring. We might be limited to visiting other ship's interiors, and that's not the same thing.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Lets just invade a tholien ship or maybe a frieghter that was repurposed by the imperial romulan navy...

In all seriousness if i have to deal with voyagers silly cramped layout for another mission like mindscape i believe i am going to destroy a planet.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    I want a "Trapped in a malfunctioning holodeck" mission

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
    gradii wrote: »
    I want a "Trapped in a malfunctioning holodeck" mission
    *points at Foundry* You could write one. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing