test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

spammers

since shard maint last week , been getting more and more spammers sending friend requests then pm with deals from another site then they remove friend request , hitting ignore don't do nothing and reporting to GM hasn't stopped them , instead they seem to increase, have cryptic and STO done any thing about these people ? it's anoying when you get them during mission battles

Comments

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,916 Arc User
    I heard about this, it's been happening since long before last week's maint. A friend of mine was getting them as of several weeks ago. It seems to be a new way to spam EC sites.

I would like to see Cryptic put a stop to this as well. I haven't been getting any myself, but I know how frustrating it is for others.

Frankly, I don't see how they think this will bring them more business. IMO, it will result in less business for them for the simple fact that doing this is more annoying than simply spamming them into the general zone chat.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Pro tip: minimize chat during battles and stop accepting friend requests by default.

There are game settings that allow you to only receive PMs and other sorts of communications from friends, so use those. Don't accept friend requests unless you've just met the person in a PUG or you can confirm the person is a fleet member.

Reporting to GMs won't work because the spammers will just abandon the character or login and create another--welcome to the F2P World of Unintended Consequences. There's no way a GM or PWE or Cryptic could know a priori that a new login is simply created to spam the regular customers. To attempt to block spammers would be to block legitimate friend requests. If you don't mind having in-game friends, then just minimize chat and block all friend requests. It's that simple.

Otherwise, understand that this is just the cost of doing business in a modern MMORPG.

If people didn't use the services these goons offer, then these goons wouldn't offer their services. No game is immune. The local authorities aren't going to shut them down.

And there you are.
    boldly-watched.png
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    It's quite simple. This needs to be dealt with. It is not the job of the players to deal with this issue.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • lamyrslamyrs Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    You can solve that by changing your bychanging your privacy to "Visible to friends only".
    I am from Belgium and english isn't my main language, sorry if I make mistakes.
  • khregkhreg Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    How-to-Make-Spam-Musubi.jpg
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    lamyrs wrote: »
    You can solve that by changing your bychanging your privacy to "Visible to friends only".

Done that, They are still sending the requests to me. I don't get a pm though as I have the pm settings from friends only.
    When I get the first one I hit decline. Second one pops up I go to my chat then ignore the user.

fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck