Comments

• Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2015
    chilleule wrote: »
    ...Intel(R) i486DX2 66Mhz Processor...
    ...Memory Test: 4096K OK...
    ...Booting "Holodeck"...
    ...Detecting Primary Master ... Hewlett-Packard HP3013...
    ...Boot Device Not Found...
    ...Booting from A:...
    ...Please insert Disk 1 of 3890 and hit "enter" to continue...
    ...The Disk in Drive A: is not formatted. Do you want to format it now? Press Y to continue formatting, Press N to abort....

Haha, those were the days. I still have my old 386 and 486 CPUs and compatible mobos in my cupboard somewhere, never forget where we came from. :)

Pretty sure my old 20MB HDD is still hiding somewhere in the house too.
    ​​
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    ...Booting "Holodeck"...
    ...The Disk in Drive A: is not formatted. Do you want to format it now? Press Y to continue formatting, Press N to abort....
    The Hard Drive for this was about 70 Megabytes. LOL

Edit - Looks like some other folks remember this era in computing. Anyone here ever own a TRS-80? The digital watch on my wrist has more computing power that those did. :smiley:

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    We're extending our maintenance window by 30 minutes. We'll keep you up-to-date.
  • Options
    rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    ...Booting "Holodeck"...
    The Hard Drive for this was about 70 Megabytes. LOL

Edit - Looks like some other folks remember this era in computing. Anyone here ever own a TRS-80? The digital watch on my wrist has more computing power that those did. :smiley:

I loved those cassettes.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    We're extending our maintenance window by 30 minutes. We'll keep you up-to-date.

Ouch, servers must be having problems if they won't restart properly!
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    chilleulechilleule Member Posts: 23 Arc User

...Please insert Disk 378 of 3890...

well...alright, trendy, your trainee doesn't seem to be the fastest...
  • Options
    thegreathibikithegreathibiki Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    I had a Packard Bell 286. A amazing 30mb hard drive and I think we upped it to 12 mbs of ram. It was blazing fast! I could open up windows 3.1 in under three minutes. My family has been with computers for a while. I still have that little one sitting besides my dad's TI-99, grandfather's Commodore and my mom's Apple IIC. The power drain when I turn a few of those on makes the lights in the house dim but god what a sound of nostalgia hearing them boot... and boot.... and boot.....
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter

Never had the TRS-80, though I did have a Commodore 64 and an Acorn Electron.
    ​​
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    fashathedogfashathedog Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Somehow shard restart makes me think the servers puttered out like a lawn mower with a bad spark plug and now they have someone swearing profusely as they pull the server start cord over and over as it turns over and dies each time. When it finally starts up with a loud smokey roar that guy then lets out a little cheer of joy.
  • Options

...Please insert Disk 378 of 3890...

well...alright, trendy, your trainee doesn't seem to be the fastest...

Don't remind me of those dark days installing something on many many many 3" floppy disk's!

Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Somehow shard restart makes me think the servers puttered out like a lawn mower with a bad spark plug and now they have someone swearing profusely as they pull the server start cord over and over as it turns over and dies each time. When it finally starts up with a loud smokey roar that guy then lets out a little cheer of joy.

don't forget the shouting and kicking at that thing, because we all know, shouting and kicking really helps with technical issues
  • Options
    lhoygowlhoygow Member Posts: 311 Arc User

Anyone here ever own a TRS-80? The digital watch on my wrist has more computing power that those did. :smiley:

Most certainly, bought one when I was a senior in High School. Played a lot of "Invasion Orion" on that sucker, even made my own scenario for that game based on the escape from Hoth by the Rebel Alliance.
  • Options
    In the 80's I owned an Atari 800XL for my first computer. It had a tape drive, which was possibly more high tech than the server's Cryptic have rented for STO.. :P
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    lsmith254lsmith254 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    "Never had the TRS-80, though I did have a Commodore 64 and an Acorn Electron. ​"

Tempted to nab an Amiga myself... either that or a Commodore 64... think i'd go the Amiga route though... could be a nice change for ANSIBBS stuff or VT220 even... dunno whether I'd prefer ANSI BBS or VT220 though for what I want to do... Imagine being able to play games via a LAN telnet interface.... that'd be impressive... EDIT: Quoting system is broken
  • Options
    gosh, are you guys "old" :D

when i got my first PC, it was equipped with up to date high end equipment: Intel Pentium P5 with (if i remember correctly) 90 Mhz, in the early 90's.
  • Options

when i got my first PC, it was equipped with up to date high end equipment: Intel Pentium P5 with (if i remember correctly) 90 Mhz, in the early 90's.

and i still keep it :) motherboard and ram and such got lost, sadly
  • Options
    kingloading1kingloading1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User

​​

my first pc was also a commodore c64. in fact, it still works. a cousin had a c128D(meaning with built in floppydrive), but his is bust for years. sometimes it looks like the programmers in here confuse programming a pc from now with a c64. my favourite c64 games are: wasteland, pool of radiance and curse of the azure bonds. you could play them for years and never get boring. nowadays games last 30 hours and they are done!
  • Options
    rooska2rooska2 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    My first was a ZX81 LOL
  • Options
    bprimoz#5326 bprimoz Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    If they dont restart the game quickly I will loose Winter Prize Vouchers :(
  • Options
    edited December 2015

When we "old" people got our rigs this stuff was the "up to date high end equipment" at that time.

Just don't get me started on punchcards.
  • Options
    theyredeadjimtheyredeadjim Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    lol...I remember "Impossible Mission" on the Commodore 64: "Stay a while...stay FOREVER!"
  • Options
    bprimoz#5326 bprimoz Member Posts: 5 Arc User

​​

my first pc was also a commodore c64. in fact, it still works. a cousin had a c128D(meaning with built in floppydrive), but his is bust for years. sometimes it looks like the programmers in here confuse programming a pc from now with a c64. my favourite c64 games are: wasteland, pool of radiance and curse of the azure bonds. you could play them for years and never get boring. nowadays games last 30 hours and they are done!

Mine was Spectrum ZX
  • Options
    @chilleule : First chip I had in my first computer was an Intel 486DX2 when I was 9. 66MHz on that bad boy, socket 3 (back when all the manufacturers for CISC chips used PGA as the pin layout/socket type.) Think I initially had 32MB of RAM and a 250MB hard drive (Could be wrong on the size of the HDD since I don't have that machine anymore :disappointed: )
  • Options
    edited December 2015

When we "old" people got our rigs this stuff was the "up to date high end equipment" at that time.

yeah, i know, i just wondered about this trip down memory lane :) had more expected posts like "BWAH! GET THE GAME UP AND RUNNING OR I WILL TELL MY MUM!" and such ^^

• Options
    batchapsbatchaps Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    My second computer was a 286DX 25 MHZ with a turbo boost to 33 MHZ. 4 meg of ram and a SVA monitor. Covert Action ruled!!!
  • Options
    I could troll like that but I have standards even as a troll.... plus that'd look bad on me anyways... Then again, If someone expects their mum to be able to force PWE to get the server up before they can and also probably before their mum can even get in touch with PWE, I feel sorry for the mum.
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    We're extending our window by 30 minutes to 10:30 PST as we investigate a login issue.
  • Options

yeah, i know, i just wondered about this trip down memory lane :) had more expected posts like "BWAH! GET THE GAME UP AND RUNNING OR I WILL TELL MY MUM!" and such ^^

Closest I got to that that would have been more like "BWAH! GET THE GAME UP AND RUNNING BEFORE MY MUM MAKES ME DO MORE CHORES!"
  • Options
    daxiii23daxiii23 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    shard restart ... and u r investigating a login issue ... yeah right
This discussion has been closed.