test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I know this is an old subject,but whats happening regards new spec trees????

Trying to get information out of cryptic is normally like trying to get blood out of a stone.
Its been a long time now since I finished the current 4 spec trees, and i bet many players have as well.
I currently have 12 spec points i can't spend, as theres no new spec trees. Cryptic, what is going on please????
Is there a remote chance there could be some news???? If so, tell us.

Answers

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,428 Community Moderator
    Personally, I'd love to see Commando get expanded to a full Specialization, if for no other reason than to be able to train my BOFFs as commandos. :)
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    Personally, I'd love to see Commando get expanded to a full Specialization, if for no other reason than to be able to train my BOFFs as commandos. :)

This would require creating skill sets for boffs, and quite posibly kit modules for captains as well!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    jaymclaughlinjaymclaughlin Member Posts: 630 Arc User

I have several ground toons that want this too!
    animated.gif
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Please don't make me break out my Magic 8-Ball for the answer. Please. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,834 Arc User
    The said there will be more but as to when...no one really knows but the devs...it may be possible we will be seeing one in a few months...a new specialization may be possible with the next anniversary ship like Command was new last year.
  • Options
    ktonof1aqktonof1aq Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Now you have raised an even more interesting question/problem: What happens to all the spec points that you've already accumulated?

See Cryptic is smart. For example, by changing how you acquire the Winter Event ship from Q photos to the new version, they forced people (like myself) who had accumulated enough glossy photos from having to log in and actually "work" for the new item.

Now introduce new specialization after the admiralty system has made getting XP very quick and you have a bunch of folks ready to claim new specs right out of the gate. So what happens to all the spec points that you've already accumulated?

My two cents? Glad you asked.

On the one hand you earned them. You shouldn't be penalized for playing faithfully and saving up. On the other hand, are you less likely to play faithfully and possibly complain about lack of content if new specs drop and you're able to claim them right out of the gate?

I do like the "trade" system that Cryptic used for the glossy photos. Maybe trade in for unique items? There is still a wealth of "cannon" items that need to make it in the game. Maybe a great opportunity to open that market??

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Based on past changes...
    We're probably about to get a Spec Point overhaul, which will end up being exactly like the Reputation Trees.
    Specific Spec Points will be required for each Tree.
    <raspberry> :p
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    Imagine in the next couple years we have 6 or 7 new spec trees. Now imagine a friend of yours wants to start playing STO. In "YOUR" opinion. Do you think the leveling grind to get a new player up to your level is overwhelming. Should a new player just forget about it. I think this is a problem with the current leveling system. What do you think?

P.S. This senario takes place in a world where STO is a really good MMO.
  • Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    hyefather wrote: »
    Imagine in the next couple years we have 6 or 7 new spec trees. Now imagine a friend of yours wants to start playing STO. In "YOUR" opinion. Do you think the leveling grind to get a new player up to your level is overwhelming. Should a new player just forget about it. I think this is a problem with the current leveling system. What do you think?

At the current rate they would be playing for ever, for all of eternity, swatting away in the abyss, never knowing true DPS or firepower, endlessly struggling to catch up, it would almost seem pointless, but when they get there, yes, that will have gone trough everything DONE, everything, that el capitan, would be a marvelous day indeed. hehehe
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    stuart1965 wrote: »
    Trying to get information out of cryptic is normally like trying to get blood out of a stone.

It seems to me they're being a bit...

(•_•)

( •_•) ⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

...cryptic.
    <3
  • Options
    cheesebasketcheesebasket Member Posts: 1,099 Arc User
    YEEEEEEEAAAAHHH
    The hamster will RULE ALLL....

Mwahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,834 Arc User
    betayuya wrote: »

At the current rate they would be playing for ever, for all of eternity, swatting away in the abyss, never knowing true DPS or firepower, endlessly struggling to catch up, it would almost seem pointless, but when they get there, yes, that will have gone trough everything DONE, everything, that el capitan, would be a marvelous day indeed. hehehe

Like it's so hard to get spec points...especially with admiralty.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    But they only need 1 primary and 1 secondary to equal the grizzliest vet's active power.

(p.s. don't count on admiralty staying the way it is)
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

Bring back spec points to dill, or at least dill ore. Presto, now you don't need to constantly add more spec trees.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    I don't foresee admiralty ever being nerfed considering they would have done that by now if that was the case.

Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
  • Options
    clulosclulos Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »

Oh it's easy if you have 30+ ships so you can do the high xp reward missions. Somehow I doubt a new player will have a bunch of event/lock box/lobi/T6 ships lined up. And spending ec on mirror ships won't be up top on their priority must-buy list either.
    I don't think any of us vets truly realize what kind of wall new players run into when they near end game, with all the different powers and gear combinations, the grind of dil and xp they can only get from easy content (so lower rewards) because they lack decent gear or knowledge or both.

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,119 Community Moderator

You expect a new player to be on the same level as someone who's played for years? You also aren't taking into consideration that the veteran player will ALSO be getting stronger as well, thus why bring this up at all? There will always be people of ALL skill levels and actual character levels. Veteran players should not be used as a goalpost for rookies as that goalpost is always moving.

As veterans, we can offer advice and even actually, you know, HELP a rookie, but we should not put ourselves on such a high pedistal as we were no different than the rookie when we started out.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

You expect a new player to be on the same level as someone who's played for years? You also aren't taking into consideration that the veteran player will ALSO be getting stronger as well, thus why bring this up at all? There will always be people of ALL skill levels and actual character levels. Veteran players should not be used as a goalpost for rookies as that goalpost is always moving.

As veterans, we can offer advice and even actually, you know, HELP a rookie, but we should not put ourselves on such a high pedistal as we were no different than the rookie when we started out.

QFT

Comparing rookies to vets is like comparing bananas to squash.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    echatty wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »

QFT

Comparing rookies to vets is like comparing bananas to squash.

that statement reeks of elitism. Rookies and vets are players just the same.

• Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Rookies hopefully get better with age, bananas do not.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Not elitism. I was just pointing out the truthfulness of the statement above me. I know we're all players, I'm not even one of the better ones, tbh. I suppose what I said came out all wrong and for that I apologize.

As for bananas, the aged ones make fantastic banana bread ;)
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    echatty wrote: »
    Not elitism. I was just pointing out the truthfulness of the statement above me. I know we're all players, I'm not even one of the better ones, tbh. I suppose what I said came out all wrong and for that I apologize.

As for bananas, the aged ones make fantastic banana bread ;)

OK I suppose I misunderstood you, sorry about that.

• Options
    There is a point of no return on aging bananas, regardless.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »

It is not now days, it was a joke... lol
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    commodoreobviouscommodoreobvious Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    The spec tree, like the rep changes before it, is meant that the veteran advantage is in options, not raw power. that way, they can keep adding reps and specs without veterans being so far above the curve of someone who just hit 60. My only gripe is pilot is clearly superior as a tree since all the skills affect space, where most of play happens (and Rock and Roll is a hilarious ability)

I'd love to see some more specializations. Expanding commando would be neat, though a lack of space BOFFs would make it challenging for them to monetize. Temporal officer would be cool, maybe also some kind of tinkerer or "miracle worker" class, but that's tricky fitting into all the Tac/Sci/Eng at the same time.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    This just got me thinking about what the next Spec Tree might be, and a pattern sort of popped out at me, if only briefly. Bear with me as I try to pry it back out.

The three full Specializations are: Command, Intelligence, and Pilot. If one were to, without looking at how these actually work, put these under the umbrellas of departments (thinking of the 7 available through DOffing) Command would go to Diplomacy (First Officer ~Command), Intel to Security, and Pilot to Tactical. That leaves Eng, Ops, Sci and Medical. I bet the next specialization, in name, will fit under one of these remaining Departments.

Now, here's the thing. I think most realize that the existing Spec Trees don't really fit into the divisions I've put them with. I'd put Intel under Sci, Command under Eng and... well, I guess Pilot is still Tac. That leaves Diplomacy, Ops, Medical, and Security undone, and waiting for a Spec to compliment it.

Take the four Departments unused by name and combine them with the four departments waiting for a complimentary Specialization, and somewhere in there, I bet is our next Specialization Tree.

Eng, Ops, Sci and Med

Vs

Diplo, Ops, Med, and Sec

What combinations of the two groupings might make sense as as Specialization? I feel like my brain was on the edge of putting two together, but I need a little push.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    The next spec will almost certainly be Temporal, I mean all the evidence just points to it. It'll likely be sciencey with a bit of tactical.
  • Options
    Let me go back and change the timeline for that Specialization. ;)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns