test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Feels Post (Caution: Emergency Vent In Progress)

I've played STO for almost 3 years. For the first 2 of those years it felt like a rewarding experience. My first big purchase the Vesta pack felt good. Like all it was all I needed to play good. Before that I flew a Mirror Recon Science Vessel and It felt just fine flying that. I had wanted to make that purchase to feel like I was supporting the game I enjoyed. There was no regret on spending 50$ for a 3 pack or 25$ for single ships for my alts.

Now it feels like that is not enough. It feels like I will need to make many many purchases for personal traits, ship traits and doffs and admiralty cards. It ends up feeling like my time is worth less and less and my money is all that matters.

The item upgrade system feels frustrating to use because it's expensive dilithium, material and EC wise to use. To play late game it feels like you have to use it. Resources spent on upgrades either reward with a modifier you don't want or a "Better luck next time". Items you got from the reputation system felt good to acquire. Now after the expense of time to acquire the resources for these items you aren't done with them. You will need to use an expensive amount of upgrade tokens and dilithium go "Finish" your reputation acquired gear. Before it was fun to collect gear and experiment with builds. Now it feels too expensive to do that.

The difficulty changes to PvE missions made what felt like a fun casual rewarding experience now only feels like it rewards the dps race. Chasing the dragon of Min/Maxing has often felt like a stressful and frustrating experience just to gain bigger numbers to get rewards faster to get bigger number and so on. Builds being refined so hard it feels like playstyle content is dwindling. Distilled into BFAW builds with some rare outliers like torpedo and exotic damage. Support ships other than the Recluse feel like a waste of time and resources to build and play.

Several times this year I've felt like I wanted to make a rant post. Recently something happened that I felt like I just had to make one.

Earlier today was the Shut Up wesley Christmas Giveaway. I had made a Costume thinking it was good enough to win me a Annorax Dreadnaught. I waited for hours for the event for my costume to come up. Investing a lot of emotional energy in fooling myself into thinking that my creative efforts were good enough to get that silly ship. There was a feeling of excitement in watching other people win their prizes thinking I was going to be one of those people. Didn't care about anything else they bundled with it. Just wanted a Annorax for my main. I don't think I lasted 20 seconds on that bridge before they kicked me to make room for other contestants. I didn't care about the other events. I logged off after I got kicked out. Let myself destress before I made this post.

Maybe it's just me and I need to take a break from this game for a while. Maybe look around for other online experiences that feel more rewarding for my time and money.

I don't care if this gets locked. Just felt like I had to make one of these.

Comments

• tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    :(
    /channel_join grind
  • electrumleopardelectrumleopard Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    4) The thing that got you to rant was that you didn't win a costume contest?!? WTF?!?

Yes. There have been times where I've wanted to make one of these before. For some reason I felt like I needed to after that. Don't know why it impacted me so hard. Maybe it was the prizes. maybe it was the ego hit.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    The thing that got you to rant was that you didn't win a costume contest?!? WTF?!?

No, really, I was with you most of the way; but that was ueber-silly.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • sonicshowersonicshower Member Posts: 216 Arc User
    I use nothing but rep gear and fleet gear which just cost my time and dilithium to earn. Yeah it takes awhile to earn but part of my enjoyment in this game is taking my time and just chipping away at my builds. I don't need anything today or tomorrow.
    However If any game is making you this distressed then yes by all means take a break.
    sh2sxc7.gif
  • captaintroikacaptaintroika Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    Bad news OP: Wesley wasn't handing out promo ships, only lockbox ones. So you wouldn't have gotten that Annorax anyways.
  • nubishfromslonubishfromslo Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Its just a game, 0 and 1 code.... Its even an scifi game, nothing real about it, and devs wanna make it real life. If u guys make a ship, make it accessible to everyone, in box or in C store... Events for chosen ones sucks big time. Maybe he cant make best outfit, but maybe he deserve that ship more than the guy that actually got it.(i know u own the game, but who are u to judge people, and what they do) I dont need any ship from event, i dont even do game on ice. My matha is good for me, and ill buy new bop for fun. My point is, that events that cryptic make, where they choose winners are not okay. Its a virtual world, and people came to have fun. If the new ship makes him happy, then he should get one as well. Dude if this game was mine, everyone would get one. Im like everyone is the same, and everyone deserve to get same things that everyone have, its a game. Now many will say there has to be diversity in game. I know that, but for that are skill builds and other things. GL getting your ship in other events as cryptic said, they are gods on this server. If u stay in this game u have to folow their godlike rules xD.

See ya guys and if not, happy holidays,merry christmas and happy new year xD
  • electrumleopardelectrumleopard Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Thank you @repetitiveepic. That helps.

Maybe I just made a way too vague and unknown "My Immersion" costume to compete. From the looks of things that was a highly competitive category.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    To play late game it feels like you have to use it.

Dear OP, I was thinking about the lvl 50 to lvl 60 stretch of the game myself.

I did the DQ missions with a T5 ship sporting the Mk X Jem'hadar impulse engine in a science all turret build with a hodgepodge of gear on it. Only the Vaaduwar and Undine zerg rush missions gave me a "multiple respawn" level problem. I only had the first level of three of the Reps unlocked and a handful of Specialization points spent so it wasn't like I was coasting on the boosts they give.

I then realized that the R&D and Rep systems were pretty much there for PvPers and completionists so I sold my mats off on the exchange (made a killing by the way), dropped the dozens of Rep guns into the trash, and rerolled my toon with the idea of just having fun in the game.

You should too.

(Maybe the Iconian stuff needs all reps at T5 in a T6 ship with purple MK XXV or whatever gear to complete. I don't know. If so, I just won't play it. Ain't no one got time for that.)
    <3
  • theillusivenmantheillusivenman Member Posts: 438 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I've played STO for almost 3 years. For the first 2 of those years it felt like a rewarding experience. My first big purchase the Vesta pack felt good. Like all it was all I needed to play good. Before that I flew a Mirror Recon Science Vessel and It felt just fine flying that. I had wanted to make that purchase to feel like I was supporting the game I enjoyed. There was no regret on spending 50$ for a 3 pack or 25$ for single ships for my alts.

Thanks for supporting the game, my first purchase actually was Kar'fi ages ago, still fly it here-and-there, great ship if a bit dated (and semi-invisible these days too...). I know the feeling you speak of.
    Now it feels like that is not enough. It feels like I will need to make many many purchases for personal traits, ship traits and doffs and admiralty cards. It ends up feeling like my time is worth less and less and my money is all that matters.
    Ultimately, if you want min-max and milk last drop of everything from your character and it's gear, then yes you need to. If you're just looking to have fun and not being those 2.5% of the top, you don't need 90% of the things - though I know it makes you feel you need it.

After all, it's a business model, and people investing in the game help pay the staff's paychecks and make the game profitable, thus making it possible for us all to play. Like I said, however, for a large majority of players and pretty much all the content, you don't need 90% of the stuff you think you'd need. A decent clean setup, a good ship, and knowledge experience and skills is enough, really.
    The item upgrade system feels frustrating to use because it's expensive dilithium, material and EC wise to use. To play late game it feels like you have to use it. Resources spent on upgrades either reward with a modifier you don't want or a "Better luck next time". Items you got from the reputation system felt good to acquire. Now after the expense of time to acquire the resources for these items you aren't done with them. You will need to use an expensive amount of upgrade tokens and dilithium go "Finish" your reputation acquired gear. Before it was fun to collect gear and experiment with builds. Now it feels too expensive to do that.
    You experiment to find stuff you like, and stuff that makes your build tick, when you do find them, you commit and invest into upgrading them. You don't even need to if you don't want to, many played even elites with MkXII VR gear and did fine (after all, upgrading is recent development, before it people still played end game content without all the new shiny epic stuff), though upgrading them to XIV isn't that expensive and will certainly give a nice boost. Snipe out for upgrade weekends to get twice more bang for your buck, making the upgrades that much easier. Wait for the anniversary event and get as much omega particles as possible and turn them to fragments and make the epic upgrades from them, they don't even cost dillithium and give a quality upgrade quite a boost. Pair them with 2x quality booster from the exchange and you're bound to hit epic quality items - if you want to. If you don't, again, you don't need to.
    The difficulty changes to PvE missions made what felt like a fun casual rewarding experience now only feels like it rewards the dps race. Chasing the dragon of Min/Maxing has often felt like a stressful and frustrating experience just to gain bigger numbers to get rewards faster to get bigger number and so on. Builds being refined so hard it feels like playstyle content is dwindling. Distilled into BFAW builds with some rare outliers like torpedo and exotic damage. Support ships other than the Recluse feel like a waste of time and resources to build and play.
    Actually, this game is very casual friendly, DPS guys can make you wish you had their DPS, it's the nature of the beast - and at the end of the day, when a content is so easy, most people are just looking to chew it faster, but always try to remember that what matters is your enjoyment and the fun it brings. For some people, it's be-all-end-all DPS God, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, for some people however, that's piloting support ships that all those DPS players depend on - having a properly built Recluse in the team can give a huge DPS boost.
    Several times this year I've felt like I wanted to make a rant post. Recently something happened that I felt like I just had to make one.

Earlier today was the Shut Up wesley Christmas Giveaway. I had made a Costume thinking it was good enough to win me a Annorax Dreadnaught. I waited for hours for the event for my costume to come up. Investing a lot of emotional energy in fooling myself into thinking that my creative efforts were good enough to get that silly ship. There was a feeling of excitement in watching other people win their prizes thinking I was going to be one of those people. Didn't care about anything else they bundled with it. Just wanted a Annorax for my main. I don't think I lasted 20 seconds on that bridge before they kicked me to make room for other contestants. I didn't care about the other events. I logged off after I got kicked out. Let myself destress before I made this post.
    I am sorry, the competition was fierce and everybody tried hard. I'd feel in similar ways if I'd just be kicked like that, which reminds me why I don't do competitions like that, when you try hard and give your best and don't succeed it really drains your batteries and saps the creative force from you. At the end of the day, we gotta remind ourselves it's not the quality (or lack thereof) that made different contestants won, it's just sheer luck and opinions/tastes, this in no way shape or form means your work is any less important or any less good.

Maybe it's just me and I need to take a break from this game for a while. Maybe look around for other online experiences that feel more rewarding for my time and money.

I don't care if this gets locked. Just felt like I had to make one of these.
    If you feel you need to take a break, take it, give yourself some time and space, see how you feel later about it.

I wish you good luck.
    5980291nyfcc.png
    "Reality is a thing of the past."
    Proud supporter of equality for all human beings.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    Take a break dude. The mental stress you can receive from this game just isn't worth it. All I'm doing at the moment is signing in daily for the races (get the breen ship one one character, and to get them little pigs for marks on another). That's it. Maybe the odd doff/admiralty assignment. My days of playing this game are far and few, currently reserved for when they give us something nice (and non repetitive) to play with.

Black Ops 3, GTA5 and Boom Beach (mobile game) are keeping me occupied in the meantime. If you're feeling stressed, it's time to take some time out. No harm in signing in to do a quick run as above, but don't get drawn into the upgrades and grind.

With regard to your contest thing, I know how you feel. There was a screenshot contest last month, DS9 was the feature, I took (what I thought to be) quite a nice screenshot that was bound to get me into the top three. It didn't. Wasn't even in the honorable mentions, and without the desire to cast out others, I truly thought mine was better than some of those that were featured. Win some, lose some. Don't let it bother you too much. :smile:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    OP, some of us experience frustration with the game, for one reason or another from time to time. And it's imho the best to just step back & take a break, as there's a point when all you'd end up doing, would be spewing negativity around yourself because of your personal frustration. And that doesn't help you or anyone else.

For me, the Weasley party was actually a mood-fix, people were having fun and everything was mostly on positive note. Didn't even need to win anything, just watching it was great. Admittedly, I did wish for a moment to be space rich... to give something away as well. Haha. Seriously, cheer up. And happy holidays!
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    OP, I feel your pain.

Delta Rising was the beginning of the current stage of disillusionment for me. Two-thirds of my fleet quit in disgust, and the rest are just logging in for a few minutes at work to cycle DOFF and Admiralty assignments. I'm the last truly active player. And my Armada isn't in much better shape. I log in and say hello in Armada chat and usually get no reply.

The game has become viciously monetarised; Cryptic are milking it for every last penny they can, and in the process killing the goose that laid the golden egg. But that's their right, I suppose.

Sadly, this is all the Star Trek there is, at the moment. So I hang in there.

I don't know if EVE would be any better for you. It is brutally unforgiving; when your ship gets blown up, that's it, it's gone, and you need a new one. But you don't pay in real money.

But there is no F2P, no P2W, and no microtransactions (not that $50 for a ship here in STO feels very micro, but that's another point). There do exist PLEX, but those are unique in the gaming world and not easily explained in a short format. You need to look carefully and know something about the game to really understand how PLEX work, and why they're truly not a rip-off, though it would be easy to dismiss them as such after a casual look.

If you do decide to try EVE, I have some simple advice in two words - trust no-one. (And for the love of GOD stay the hell away from Goonsquad/Goonfleet; they are evil incarnate and The Mitani is Satan's little brother)
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    4) The thing that got you to rant was that you didn't win a costume contest?!? WTF?!?

Yes. There have been times where I've wanted to make one of these before. For some reason I felt like I needed to after that. Don't know why it impacted me so hard. Maybe it was the prizes. maybe it was the ego hit.

That's really petty.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    It's a game. It is not a lifestyle choice. I missed the Costume Contest and most of ShutUp Wesley's party due to work commitments. Did not realize I would be working while the party was happening.

Oh well. Guess I'll have to save that one for next time. I did not expect to win, But I did expect my efforts would make whoever did win would have to earn it. And the whole time they'd be hearing footsteps right behind them. It was an entirely voluntary thing all around. The folks in Wesley volunteered to give away some valuable prizes. Which they did not have to do. We volunteered to join in their contest. Which we did not have to do either. Neither side was under any obligation whatsoever. And, as with all contests, there has to be losers as well as winners.

The real prize was awarded to everyone who participated. That prize is getting to spend some quality time with other STO players and have a lot of fun while doing so. Granted, winning while doing this is a lot more fun than the other option. But being around other people who play and enjoy STO and this Community is something I missed out on this year.

So all of you who did make it to the party: Ooooohhh! I am soo jealous, lol. See Y'all next time, dammit!

OP, if you are going to let something like this spoil the game for you, then you are seriously overdue for some quality time away from Star Trek Online. Take it. We'll be here when you want to come back. We'll even hold a spot for you.

A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • waldotrekwaldotrek Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    I say that if you are getting stressed then take a break. This game should always be about having fun. All content in the game can be run with the free ships you get in game. The crazy high dps Alpha Strike builds only represent a very tiny fraction of the community. Understand that and you'll have a lot more fun here.
    Former Moderator 10-28-16
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    nabreeki wrote: »

Goons are good people you can always trust. Case in point: yesterday Goons spent over six hours giving away billions and billions of ec worth of ships and prizes to people who came to play some silly mini-games. Goons are friends to all.

Oh yeah, absolutely. And bankers are warm-hearted, caring philanthropists, not to mention that used car salesmen can be trusted completely.

There are no EC in Eve.

• thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    nabreeki wrote: »

Goons are good people you can always trust. Case in point: yesterday Goons spent over six hours giving away billions and billions of ec worth of ships and prizes to people who came to play some silly mini-games. Goons are friends to all.

Oh yeah, absolutely. And bankers are warm-hearted, caring philanthropists, not to mention that used car salesmen can be trusted completely.

There are no EC in Eve.

Used car salesman are very trustworthy. You can always trust in them to swindle you for every penny they can.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    The real prize was awarded to everyone who participated. That prize is getting to spend some quality time with other STO players and have a lot of fun while doing so. Granted, winning while doing this is a lot more fun than the other option. But being around other people who play and enjoy STO and this Community is something I missed out on this year.
    This. I know a couple people who didn't win anything - but had an absolute blast taking part.
    yjkZSeM.gif
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,166 Arc User
    Wow, such a sad and tragic story.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    @nubishfromslo

It seems you are under the impression that this event was put on by Cryptic. It was not. If was put on by a fleet, really from my impressions, a collection of fleets. Raging at Cryptic for this one is silly.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    bergins wrote: »
    @nubishfromslo

It seems you are under the impression that this event was put on by Cryptic. It was not. If was put on by a fleet, really from my impressions, a collection of fleets. Raging at Cryptic for this one is silly.

Plus, it's really kinda petty when you're so self-absorded that you think your costume will win. And I don't say that to be mean; but I've learned a long time ago never to expect to win anything on giveaway events. Even when you're very talented, and the event is based on talent, you can always be assured there will be a great many other talented ppl in the contest as well.

I kinda agreed with the OP on everything else, but the costume thing, well...
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

Didn't know that was even a thing in STO. It's HUGE in CO.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Actually, @meimeitoo , nubishfromslo wasn't the OP, just someone piling on.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    If you want to hear about frustration allow me to share with you my last four days....

I was going to have a nice quiet weekend alone with my family out of town in Texas but I got called in to work several fourteen hour days in a row all of them hellish beyond description. I was up from 3 AM to 10 PM doing the work of two people because everyone thinks it's funny to call out sick during the Holliday because we have plenty of people to cover right? RIGHT!?! I won't go into the subtle frustrations because it wouldn't mean anything to a non-merchandiser but sufficive to say I nearly ripped the battery out of my car this morning to stay home.

But that's nothing compared to my fleetmate, a few days ago his car caught on fire while he was driving and he had to stop while some idiot behind him was texting and slammed into him. His car was completely destroyed in the process and both the police and insurance company have filed it AGAINST him so now he's in physical pain, has no car, has a huge fine and massive insurance premium increase. The little ***** that hit him pretended to be injured and went to the hospital in an ambulance.

Let's not forget of course the twenty thousand people who will die of starvation today most of which are children... And your frustrated with your choice of entertainment? Forgive me if I'm all out of **** to give.
    Post edited by jodarkrider on
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    My personal advice stands, OP. If you're that frustrated with the game, take a break. It's better than spewing the negativity around yourself, that not being helpful for you, nor anyone else. One lost costume contest doesn't mean the end of the world.

With that being said - I believe this thread has already ran its' course & is only derailing further.

/Closed
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

This discussion has been closed.