test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crafting Rare Consoles

I've found that some console sets are difficult to complete due to part of a set only being found on a locked box ship. What I would like to see is the ability to craft these rare consoles so that sets can be completed. Obviously there would be more involved in crafting these consoles due to the rarity of them. Thought....??
RomulanCapital2154.jpg

Comments

• jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Unlikely to happen because a large reason some ships are so sought after is because of their consoles and ship traits, rather than the ship itself. That wider allowance for desirability increases the likelihood of sale of the ship or lockbox keys, if the consoles were simply able to be crafted one of those factors ceases to be. They couldn't really limit crafting to people who already own the ships because owning the ship means a free reclaim of the console anyway, and unless they find another way to monetize the consoles themselves I don't see any alternatives. The only other monetization factor that allows for this sort of thing is the Lobi store, which isn't far removed from the way some of these ships are obtained anyway.

And before people come in with the usual complaints about lockboxes and the like, servers and developers aren't free. The game needs to make money somehow or it ceases to exist. If lockboxes ceased to be profitable because enough people got tired of the "gamble" (I don't really like that term with regards to lockboxes, but that's beside the point) then something else would be introduced or mandatory subscription fees would return. At the end of the day, the production company (in this case that's NOT Cryptic) is going to seek the greatest profit possible, and it would seem lockboxes are currently one of the methods with the greatest returns.

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
  • sudonamisudonami Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    An interesting idea, and I would like to be able to craft different forms of the spiral wave disruptors. Maybe only be able to craft them if you have the regular beams, or the missing console for a set if you have one from the set. Like you have a lobi ship but are missing the lockbox ship. I assume this is along the idea you are bringing up, and i agree it would be a nice thing to have at some cost in crafting.
  • romulanforcesromulanforces Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    Yeah can see all points of view here. Just frustrating and expensive trying to get one missing console that may never eventuate. I have the temporal destroyer and all weapons and consoles bar one - Tipler Cylinder. Have since learnt this was on the locked box ship. Will have to attempt to get temporal locked boxes from the exchange and hope by chance I spin up the ship I need with the console.
    RomulanCapital2154.jpg
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Probably better off selling the keys and buying the ship on the exchange, as long as it's out there still.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    bergins wrote: »
    Probably better off selling the keys and buying the ship on the exchange, as long as it's out there still.

This would be my recommendation as well. Let other people spend their real money on opening the boxes, if you're patient enough you can put together the EC needed to buy just about anything without having to deal with the odds yourself.

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
  • romulanforcesromulanforces Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    The Temporal Science Ship is 50mil on the exchange - only 45million EC until it's mine lol
    Plenty of locked boxes but no luck so far.
    RomulanCapital2154.jpg
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    The Temporal Science Ship is 50mil on the exchange - only 45million EC until it's mine lol
    Plenty of locked boxes but no luck so far.

50mil? Either those things have drastically come down in price, or someone goofed by missing a 0, because last I knew they were going for some 500mill.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!