test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Same ship name

Today I noticed a player who had a ship named the same as one of my characters ships. Spelled the same, no trickey respell or anything, exactly the same. Switched to that character everything was there, tried to track down other player but by the time I searched they had logged.
The ship they were using was one of the intels, so its something they bought, I never had enough money to by one of those. I'm not missing anything except some accolade glitch.
All my captains play, not missing any zen, dil or ec. Is it allowed to have duplicate ship names? Should I worry about a TRIBBLE account, that seems unlikely since the other player had a more expensive ship and I'm not missing anything.

Comments

• Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Yes, different players are able to have the same ship names.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    grob44grob44 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    whew, thanks was sort of worried there for a bit, that's a load off my mind.
  • Options
    dumas13dumas13 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    I'll always remember meeting another player whose ship not only had the same name, but the same general model as the main ship of one of my toons. I think I was playing a different toon at the time, but it was a bit surprising to learn there were two Sovereign-class Arcadias running around (leaving aside the details about refit/fleet/Mirror Star Cruiser).
  • Options
    grob44grob44 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    I remember when I first started how the AI was always kicking back my ship names as already used or some such message, I didn't think the AI allowed it, I was wrong.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    A player can't have two ships by the same name, perhaps that is why you were getting an error message?
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    bergins wrote: »
    A player can't have two ships by the same name, perhaps that is why you were getting an error message?

They also cannot share the name of a famous vessel from the series or movies.
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    I have a Character named Keanna, Popped into a random red alert and found a Keanna in there. So two characters can have the same name as well as ships. As long as the @handle is different its good.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    tomoyosakagami1tomoyosakagami1 Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    You can have any ship name except for Enterprise, Voyager and Defiant.

I remember seeing a ship called U.S.S. Enter-Her-Prise though.

I personally haven't seen any ships named U.S.S. Infinity or U.S.S. November, two prominent names I use for my own ships.
  • Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Names are one thing but If the other ship has the EXACT same register number then you have some strange things going on...
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    I've spotted a few Sentinel's and the odd Viper running around, the name of my 2 main Fed ships. Though I've not seen any duplicates of my DarkFyre or Halestorm yet. A fair few Serenity's though. Noable as I'm in Firefly Fleet.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    tiriusavarotiriusavaro Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    It would be a fun statistic if Cryptic could check the server for the number of different and/or unique ship names in use, or perhaps the most common ship names in use. I'm betting the numbers would be very high.
    Vice Admiral Tirius Avara'o | U.S.S. Mistral (Fleet Star Cruiser)
    Vice Admiral Mathrias | U.S.S. Utrecht (Blockade Runner Retrofit)
    Vide Admiral Kyurin | U.S.S. Cairhien (Fleet Dreadnought Cruiser)
    Vice Admiral Kiarl Leftrin | U.S.S. Aegir (Fleet Recon Science Vessel)
    --= Starfleet Strategic Command =--
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I had a ship name and model match with another guy in a mirror invasion run a few years back and this guy was on with a teammate. I was throwing out heals and the two couldn't work out who was healing them as the names all matched.
    Was a pretty complicated run!
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    There are literally millions of ships in the game (let's say there are only 100.000 accounts, with 4 characters on average, with a total of 400.000 characters, each having some 5 active ships, we're already at 2 milion ships). There is no way all of them can be named differently (the best English dictionaries count some 250.000 words), unless we used numbers ("U.S.S. Entyrprize2314") or meaningless strings of characters ("U.S.S. fijssdadfae"), both being terrible choices.
    ryuga81.png
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    You assume that English is the only source language. I also have Klingon, Romulan, Protoss (well, okay, not anymore, but my first starter ship used to be the U.S.S. Aiur) and Tarhedian. :tongue:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    dalolorn wrote: »
    You assume that English is the only source language. I also have Klingon, Romulan, Protoss (well, okay, not anymore, but my first starter ship used to be the U.S.S. Aiur) and Tarhedian. :tongue:

These are a few dozen to a few hundred words each :P
    ryuga81.png
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Now you assume from my example that fictional languages are the only non-English ones used. Not everyone on these forums (or in this game) is a native English speaker. :wink:

Good point, though.

Edit: Wasn't Klingon built up into a proper language, though? That would improve the vocabulary to be at least a substantial fraction of English, if not equivalent to (or even greater than) it.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Edit: Wasn't Klingon built up into a proper language, though? That would improve the vocabulary to be at least a substantial fraction of English, if not equivalent to (or even greater than) it.

The latest (1992?) edition of the official Klingon Dictionary contained less than 2000 words (1800 or so) IIRC. But even if you put together the top 5 languages used on STO, they are still insufficient :P
    ryuga81.png
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

You also can't use Excelsior. But yes, you can use anything except those.

I have seen people with the same ship names as me many times, and even seen other captains with the same name as me.

What's really great is when they release a ship class that takes one of your names. My Breen Carrier has been named Callisto since I unlocked it, and now it's the name of Hangar Pets. I also had a Fleet Assault Cruiser named the Resolute. :)
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    You can also combine two words to get a name.

You could have something like "U.S.S. Nathan James", "U.S.S. Unseen Academy", "IKS Bow & Arrow", "Lack of Gravitas".

But one of my favorite features of STO is the fact that you have the character_name@account_name system. Even if you might not be able to pick your favorite accout name if it's taken, you can pick your favorite character name. That removes a lot of name-finding headaches other MMOs suffer from.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    But one of my favorite features of STO is the fact that you have the character_name@account_name system. Even if you might not be able to pick your favorite accout name if it's taken, you can pick your favorite character name. That removes a lot of name-finding headaches other MMOs suffer from.

Yep, this is something I really appreciated on Cryptic games. There can be more than one character with the same name (just like in real life), but still with a unique ID (like in real life).
    ryuga81.png
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    Lol yeah OP for sure different people can have the same ship name.. Go to earth orbit and count the number of Normandys floating around (and subsequently, characters named John Shepherd)
  • Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    Yes Klingon has been fleshed out enough to make up some decent ship names. Happily, some longer phrases like I.K.S. Always Ready to Fight Dirty are only two words so fit nicely in the space provided. I think I called my new Sheshar the Expensive Purchase and I have a veteran ship on an alt called The Gift That Keeps On Giving. My Ferengi shuttle is naturally the good ship I.K.S. Supposedly Trustworthy.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User

You could have something like "U.S.S. Nathan James", "U.S.S. Unseen Academy", "IKS Bow & Arrow", "Lack of Gravitas".

Oooh, Lack of Gravitas, that's from one of the 'Culture' novels by Iain M Banks. A good series, but 'Use of Weapons', the third one, was truly horribly bad - just endless dreary pages of maudlin, self-indulgent, emo nonsense, like a Harlequin Romance or something.

• Options
    kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    There are a lot of Enterprice, Enterprize, Enterpris and ENTERPRISE1701D around. Apparently, there are many who don't want to be captain of a ship other than the Enterprise.
  • Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    @chastity1337 I sense that you didn't get as far as Feersum Enjinn. Be grateful.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    chainfallchainfall Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    What is really fun is when you run into a player with the same name.
    STO would have been better as a Stargate MMO than it is as Star Trek. Go figure.

~Karona@Sobekeus
    Jem'Hadar Dreadnought Carrier Exterminatus
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User

You also can't use Excelsior. But yes, you can use anything except those.

Or Reliant.

But having the Tuffli Freighter "S.S. Botany Bay" is both legal and - so far - the only ship I've flown/named that someone else "shares" with me...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

Oooh, Lack of Gravitas, that's from one of the 'Culture' novels by Iain M Banks. A good series, but 'Use of Weapons', the third one, was truly horribly bad - just endless dreary pages of maudlin, self-indulgent, emo nonsense, like a Harlequin Romance or something.
    Funny, Use of Weapons might have been one of my favorites. ;)

But anyway, a lot of cool ship names to pick from. Though many are too long for STO. :(

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    I'll never understand why they block Enterprise, Voyager, Defiant, etc and the registry numbers. If someone wants it, why not let them?
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    kayajay wrote: »
    I'll never understand why they block Enterprise, Voyager, Defiant, etc and the registry numbers. If someone wants it, why not let them?

Same reason why we can't have an end game Constitution class.