test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Seriously, is homosexuality still an issue in the 25th century?

Why can't my male toons wear cropped jackets! How heteronormative of Cryptic.

Comments

• sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    why cropped jackets should be a symbol of homosexuality?

• doctornexdoctornex Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Because they're non-gender conforming.
    I guess the next thing Cryptic will tell is us that women can't be in Starfleet because they ought to be cooking and cleaning.
  • lamyrslamyrs Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    why cropped jackets should be a symbol of homosexuality?

Was wondering the same thing.
    I am from Belgium and english isn't my main language, sorry if I make mistakes.
  • kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    Space Barbie problem = non-problem.
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    doctornex wrote: »

Fashion is nothing to do with sexuality in any way.

But, sure, lets have them for males anyway. I would't wear 'em, but I would't wear 'em on my female characters either.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    HEY HEY, HO HO, COVERED NAVELS HAVE GOT TO GO, HEY HEY, HO HO, ...
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    I predict this topic will be locked in 3,2.....
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    cidjack wrote: »

Nope. Your timer was off. Try again.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    Why should it be locked? It's a legitimate request for cropped jackets to be made available to male toons. Locking the thread would itself be further evidence of discrimination.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    and here I was just joking about my desire to put a cropped jacket on my gorn
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    In before lock and why Cropped= homosexual, clearly you are the one with prejudice.
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
    k20vtec wrote: »
    In before lock and why Cropped= homosexual, clearly you are the one with prejudice.
    As I said it has to do with gender identity which is clearly a homosexual/transsexual issue (as courts have found again and again). This is why students can wear traditionally-opposite-sex clothes at school, because wearing clothes that traditionally belong to the opposite sex is protected expression that is also intimately intertwined with one's gender identity.

• sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    well, by the 25th century I'm sure that medical technology will have fixed any gender identity problems. Tacky fashion sense - not so much.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    I am torn between supporting gender neutral fashion (I do really want one for one particular male toon) and finding the idea of a crop top heavy winter coat an utterly stupid idea. I mean, come on! It is a winter coat that exposes your navel, I'm not from Newcastle for christs sake! What next, a bikini EVA and a topless Breen suit? Lets have some proper autumn/winter fashion, you can still look fabulous AND warm!

Of course you can never wear them on a Gorn, because apparently their women aren't allowed to serve in the KDF. Just abolish the gender distinction in clothes and sliders. Andorians and Rigellians have more than two genders after all so allow people be a little genderqueer in their characters if they fancy.
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    Asking for those jackets to be available to male characters is one thing. Using a real life issue as a front for doing so is shameful imho.
    I am torn between supporting gender neutral fashion (I do really want one for one particular male toon) and finding the idea of a crop top heavy winter coat an utterly stupid idea. I mean, come on! It is a winter coat that exposes your navel, I'm not from Newcastle for christs sake! What next, a bikini EVA and a topless Breen suit? Lets have some proper autumn/winter fashion, you can still look fabulous AND warm!

Of course you can never wear them on a Gorn, because apparently their women aren't allowed to serve in the KDF. Just abolish the gender distinction in clothes and sliders. Andorians and Rigellians have more than two genders after all so allow people be a little genderqueer in their characters if they fancy.
    I think this is the right approach. I agree that the idea of a crop-top winter jacket in general is a stupid idea, it's just the gender disparity that bothers me.

• kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    As I said it has to do with gender identity which is clearly a homosexual/transsexual issue (as courts have found again and again). This is why students can wear traditionally-opposite-sex clothes at school, because wearing clothes that traditionally belong to the opposite sex is protected expression that is also intimately intertwined with one's gender identity.

Objectively, what you're saying is fine. The problem is that not everyone who plays this game will agree with you, and will violently disagree in this forum, sooner rather than later. Star Trek Online and Star Trek fandom, is not limited to those with liberal outlooks.
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2015

I don't think its a case of cryptic being heteronormative more a case of excess material in certain areas of protrudiness.
    unless you want your character to look like he has manboobs.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    I seriously have no issue on other people's lifestylel. I stated the lock comment for a couple of reasons.

1.) insulting Cryptic does not lead to a postive experience on the forums.

2.) If you are going to ask for a change to the game it is best to provide a clear argument that provides evidence that can be backed up.

As for is homosexuality an issue in the 25th century in the realm of Star Trek I direct you to the many Star Trek novels that touches on the subject.

Look up the backstory of Lt. Sean Hawk.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    Why does sexual preference in any way need to be discussed here or anywhere else in this game or forum? Your business and personal choices are yours, mine are mine. I don't know any of you, you don't know me and we are very unlikely to meet. It is doubtful any of us will change each other's minds on sexual preference issues so there is no reason for this subject to be outed. Just play the damn game and keep your fantasies in your own head and your own bed. Nuff said.

Devs, please close this thread.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
    edited December 2015
    kontarnus wrote: »

Objectively, what you're saying is fine. The problem is that not everyone who plays this game will agree with you, and will violently disagree in this forum, sooner rather than later. Star Trek Online and Star Trek fandom, is not limited to those with liberal outlooks.

Frankly this is the same reason Star Trek has never had a TRIBBLE character, because Rick Berman was afraid of what the "mommies" would say.

http://uproxx.com/tv/2015/09/star-trek-next-generation-david-gerrold-blood-and-fire/
    Gerrold claims that Berman didn’t want to air it for fear of “mommies” disagreeing with its content. Roddenberry’s lawyer, Leonard Maizlish — who had apparently taken it upon himself to assume a position as Roddenberry’s mouthpiece as his health failed — also disputed the episode. In a later confrontation, Gerrold claims that Maizlish called him “an AIDS-infected c*cksucker. A f*cking f*ggot.”

The fact that some people disagree with equality doesn't mean the rest of us should kowtow. There was a time that people were violently opposed to the concept of women serving in the military.
  • elothoxelothox Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    Males can have no shirt at all on in the game. Females can't. Is this discrimination too? Uh... no. Men can't wear skirts in STO either, nor can they wear female Orion clothes. There are plenty of male/female locked swimsuits.

But you're going to pull this card on cropped jackets? Do better.

If you want to open a real discussion about the subject, do so, but this is far from one. This is much less likely an issue of discrimination, and more a matter of practicality.

Adding outfits in the game (and their textures and meshes) takes resources. And quite frankly they add things that they think people would want. (and spend time, or in some form, money to get)

There isn't a large demand for cross gender clothing in the game, so there's not justification for the resources to add them to the game.

It's only about time and money, and has nothing to do with homophobia/transphobia. It's the same reason there isn't a client in Norwegian. It isn't because Cryptic is 'anti-Norway' it's just there isn't a financial reason to make one.
  • hatepwehatepwe Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    I seriously have no issue on other people's lifestylel. I stated the lock comment for a couple of reasons.

2.) If you are going to ask for a change to the game it is best to provide a clear argument that provides evidence that can be backed up.

As for is homosexuality an issue in the 25th century in the realm of Star Trek I direct you to the many Star Trek novels that touches on the subject.

Or the various references to Trip Tucker's brother and his brother's husband and their kid(s?). Though I'm the only person that watched Enterprise in this thread (some of the books are exceptional FYI)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darthraiderxxxdarthraiderxxx Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    Not getting your desired space barbie options does not equal discrimination. If anything, this thread belittles the problems people are facing that are actually being discriminated in any way.​​
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Ignoring the other comments, unless we're talking Andorians, who don't have a serious hypothermia risk, doesn't the crop top winter jacket defeat the purpose of winter clothing regardless of gender? None of my toons use it because it seems highly impractical.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    gulberat wrote: »
    Unless we're talking Andorians, who don't have a serious hypothermia risk, doesn't the crop top winter jacket defeat the purpose of winter clothing regardless of gender? None of my toons use it because it seems highly impractical.

Other than the fact it looks stupid, that's the reason I don't get it. Not even on my Andorian female.​​

#TASforSTO

• kianazerokianazero Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    hatepwe wrote: »

Or the various references to Trip Tucker's brother and his brother's husband and their kid(s?). Though I'm the only person that watched Enterprise in this thread (some of the books are exceptional FYI)

Don't forget Enterprise F's XO, Samuel Winters is openly TRIBBLE (it's just not covered in-game). And then there's the Klingon TRIBBLE couple, B'Eler and Trevana.
  • yukonsamyukonsam Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    While there's no canonical reason that people in the 25th century can't wear whatever they please (with NO particular relationship to either their orientation or their gender identity), getting CBS to approve it for a game might be a stretch, and getting Cryptic to retool an existing rigged model with no profit forthcoming might be a bigger stretch.

But hey... wouldn't mind getting that cute little number that Riker was wearing on the Planet of Male Eye Candy. Sure it was silly, but it would help restore balance to the force... oh, sorry... enrich infinite diversity in infinite combinations.
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    No.

Myth busted.
This discussion has been closed.