test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fastest Game On Ice Is Unwinable

since last year,I have noticed when running the race,if you have a breen,dog or what ever racing againest you,even if you stay on the track,the game will fail.only if you are alone you will win.come on! please fix this

Comments

• Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    Ran it four times so far this evvent and won every time, so it is definitley winnable if you run properly.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    No, it isn't unwinnable at all. In fact, there's a couple active threads that offer this tips and pointers. You obviously are smart enough to start a thread, so you should be able to find the ones I'm talking about.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,520 Arc User
    Read this: http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1208491/rattlers-guide-to-fastest-game-on-ice#latest

You've never been able to just walk into Mordor, some sprinting is needed.
  • Options
    fletch57fletch57 Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    I'm just saying something is different.when they started this event three or four years ago,I had no problems winning.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    you must be running to slow, you need to run at full speed on the straits and cut corners to win against an opponent.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    fletch57 wrote: »
    I'm just saying something is different.when they started this event three or four years ago,I had no problems winning.

Then you are doing something wrong this year, cause it hasn't changed at all. It is as easy as it was last year, and the years before that.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    Between the frosted boots, the +5% rep run trait, and a [Run] weapon (more still if you're Fersasan), if you can't win the race, you should watch a youtube video on how to do it because it's all about running fast and rolling when turning. You don't even need any of the 3 boosts I mention above, but it does make the daily chore go by quicker.
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    Race is fine for me. Ran it several times today without issues.​​
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Between the frosted boots, the +5% rep run trait, and a [Run] weapon (more still if you're Fersasan), if you can't win the race, you should watch a youtube video on how to do it because it's all about running fast and rolling when turning. You don't even need any of the 3 boosts I mention above, but it does make the daily chore go by quicker.

You don't need ANY of those things to win the race. You don't even need to sprint the whole time. All you need to do is not overshoot the corners, either via jumping or managing your path. The boots actually make it harder - if you are already having issues don't use them.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Huh??? Ok OP look up the thread about how to win the fastest game on ice thatwas posted a couple of days ago. I have NEVER lost a race against any of the NPC's.
  • Options
    aixtran#6589 aixtran Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    When the kind people on this forum gave me the advise to wait until this event to finally get my first T6 ship i wasn't aware that it will be like this. Not that i've expected to just get a free ship for nothing, but running on ice for 25 days in a row?!
    Seriously? I couldn't even finish the first race it was just so... ridiculous. I've just stopped and beamed out. I thought that this is the game about Star Trek, about space ships and exploration, instead i'm forced to participate in a literal rat race (on ice) for a month. The race itself looks like some knock-off of an 16-bit era racing game. I HATE racing games. I wasn't prepared for this.
    Are you saying it has always been like this? Same race every year?

I guess this game isn't for me after all...
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Only problem I had with the race was the huge crowd of people all trying to start it at once (cutting in line, multiple people triggering the race at once, etc).

Once I actually got on the course, it ran just like last year. /shrug
    When the kind people on this forum gave me the advise to wait until this event to finally get my first T6 ship i wasn't aware that it will be like this. Not that i've expected to just get a free ship for nothing, but running on ice for 25 days in a row?!
    Seriously? I couldn't even finish the first race it was just so... ridiculous. I've just stopped and beamed out. I thought that this is the game about Star Trek, about space ships and exploration, instead i'm forced to participate in a literal rat race (on ice) for a month. The race itself looks like some knock-off of an 16-bit era racing game. I HATE racing games. I wasn't prepared for this.
    Are you saying it always been like this? Same race every year?

Yes, it's been this trivial and easy to get a ship every year. Just like it's been easy every year to fly your character through some hoops to get the summer ship. Not sure what the issue is. It's a cute seasonal event, like any MMO has. /shrug
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Only problem I had with the race was the huge crowd of people all trying to start it at once (cutting in line, multiple people triggering the race at once, etc).

Best thing to do is jump to the lowest populated instance.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    svindal777 wrote: »
    kiralyn wrote: »

Best thing to do is jump to the lowest populated instance.

Yeah, I know. But right after restart today, the lowest pop instance was 27. :) Yeah, yeah, I should have just been patient and waited for the enthusiasm & crowds to die down in a day or two.
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    For those who lack the patience to fail a few times while learning how to run on ice, I think you can just fail a few times in a row (easily accomplished by leaving the track) and then it'll let you run by yourself. Then you can take a leisurely, stress-free stroll around the course to get your daily shiny.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    delliboydelliboy Member Posts: 288 Arc User
    It took me a couple of tries to figure out the mechanics but I was able to win though it looked like the NPC was going to win but I made it and won. Don't give up
  • Options
    delliboydelliboy Member Posts: 288 Arc User
    For those who lack the patience to fail a few times while learning how to run on ice, I think you can just fail a few times in a row (easily accomplished by leaving the track) and then it'll let you run by yourself. Then you can take a leisurely, stress-free stroll around the course to get your daily shiny.

Really are you serious?
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    delliboy wrote: »

Really are you serious?

I've read that "tactic" in a couple of other threads. I have very rarely lined up to race and not gotten an NPC opponent for some reason, tho I've never intentionally failed the race. YMMV, not responsible for giant Monty Python-like feet that may or may not come out of the sky and squish you. ;)
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Are you saying it has always been like this? Same race every year?

I guess this game isn't for me after all...

its just a nice change from the normal PEW PEW a little bit of winter fun with all the things you associate with winter - ice, snow, snowmen and the gingerbread village, whats not to like?
    don't get sore because you lost the race on the first day, watch the you tube "fastest game on ice" videos and keep trying.
    when I first did the race I never thought I would get the hang of it but now I find it fairly easy, sure I might muck it up on the odd occasion but I have got a win on all 3 characters I used today, if an old fogy like me can do it so can you.

when you are playing sto all year round its nice to get a little break from the usual game during these few seasonal events.

I ignore all my usual stuff when these events come around so when the events are over I can return to the normal routine stuff feeling refreshed and relaxed, its just a good way to take a break.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    someone always posts a thread like this each year about how it is unwinnable. 1st few times I did this I too can NOT win. Took some time to watch others do it, then I too can finish and win. If the one ahead of me isnt good, can even finish before em.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    The race is easy to win. Only time I fail is due to myself pushing the limits on how fast I can go.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    funny... considering gorn are abysmally slow and I can win with my gorn every time...
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    Everybody gets first place! You are ALL winners! You are ALL champions!
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Everybody gets first place! You are ALL winners! You are ALL champions!

of course we are...this is mmo land :P sadly some people feel like that irl too :P
This discussion has been closed.