test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PODCAST] Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 194: "Early Feedback"

midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 194: "Early Feedback" has been published on Holosuite Media, you can download and stream it from: http://bit.ly/1lGjsB9

Captain MidNite Shadow discusses all the news from Star Trek Online and Star Trek with the crew of the USS Tribble in the longer than usual episode full of Trek conversation.

This week we discuss:
  • Shuttle Weekend Event,
  • Romulan Flash Giveaway,
  • Post War Era #4 RP Blog: U.S.S. Hadrian,
  • Modeling Omega,
  • New Featured Episode: Stormbound,
  • Release Notes: November 18th, 2015,
  • STO Executive Producer, Steve Ricossa’s AMA,
  • Season 11,
  • Internity,
  • Star Trek Renegades,
  • Star Trek: Captain Pike,
  • Star Trek: Horizon,
  • and more!

Please help friend of the show and fellow Star Trek Online player and podcaster Mav with donations to support his recovery with his current health situation here: http://www.gofundme.com/tomsrecovery.

Comments

• Options
    sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    This Weeks Community Questions:
    • Can you tell the difference between voice actors and voices? Do you notice the same character playing multiple roles?
    • What do you like about Season 11 so far? Are there things you don’t like?
    ​​
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • Options
    alex1geralex1ger Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    Well, let's see what I got this time around.

Calling out Cryptic for not being nerdy enough:
    Uhm... I'm not sure I did that, but since that's what sunseahl seemed to have gotten out of it, I guess it's one way to look at it.
    What I was trying to say is basically: every nerd is different and likes different things. Some nerds are into fantasy and don't really gel with sci-fi. Other nerds like games and anime/manga and can't relate to live-action movies/tv shows.
    So it's fine if not everybody at Cryptic cares about voice acting. But it seems like NOBODY at Cryptic/Perfect World knows about/cares about voice acting.
    I mean, take a look at The Last of Us. That game was praised to high heavens and back. I'm not a console gamer, but I did watch a playthrough and that game seems pretty damn immersive to me. You know, decent writing is half the deal, but if the voice actors had just phoned it in, do you really think it would have gotten that much positive feedback? Voice acting does matter.

I mean, I'm not like sunseahl in her crusade for klingon stuff. I'm not asking for the impossible. I'm not asking for a 10 minute superbowl ad talking about the voice actors you got for STO.
    I'm just asking for someone at Cryptic/Perfect World to at least tweet about these people as if they were the least bit interesting. I think they deserve that much recognition, if you start losing your mind over some Spartacus guy who has nothing to do with Star Trek or that other voice actor who did that gorilla thingy for The Flash.

I would like to know if you get Dave Rivas to do more voice work. Then I could start listening more closely whether or not it's just Captain Shon getting a few more lines or if he actually gets to voice another character. Like I said before, he managed to pull off Hakeev, Cooper and Shon and was able to make them sound different enough. I was actually impressed by that.
    I would like to know if you get Laura Bailey or Liam O'Brien into the recording booth again.

You know, that reminds me that we barely know anything about these characters. Shon is a bit of a hothead, but what else? What's the deal with VanZyl? What happened after the incident during Uneasy Allies? How does she deal with an experience like that?
    I would like to see some character development there. And before sunseahl yells at me for only caring about the feds, what about B'Eler and her insufferable mate Trevana? Seriously, I want to shoot Trevana... Why does B'Eler put up with Trevana's attitude? Give me something, give these voice actors something to work with. Pretty please with a cherry on top?

And to mustrum from last week's feedback... Yes, Hakeev and Cooper were overacted, but I don't blame it on the voice actor. Hakeev was written in a way that this overacting actually fit his character. So I think... I hope that was on purpose. And Dr. Cooper... well, Undine-Cooper was this way overacted whiny coward. The first time we met him however (in the revamped Borg/Undine arc) he seemed much more... normal. So I guess the overacting was supposed to clue us in that something happened to him? I'm grasping at straws here.

Community questions:
    Well, I guess I sorta answered that last week already, but here are a few more details...
    I really notice Lani Minella because I consider her voice to be quite recognizable. So, whenever I hear an extra talking with that voice, I'm just... "Hello [insert respective species] T'Nae." followed by... something between a *facepalm* and a *headdesk*
    If Vin Diesel was a voice actor, you would not use him to voice 100 guys with one line each. Or 50 guys with two lines each. Wait, let me be more precise... you SHOULD not use him like that.
    You would... you SHOULD give him one character with 100 lines. Or maybe, just maybe two characters with 50 lines each. (If the two are supposed to be somehow related to each other...)
    Now, someone with a broader range... Someone with a more generic voice... could easily voice 100 extras.

Season 11: I really enjoy the admiralty system, I talked a little about sunrise in one of the previous feedbacks, I still can't seem to remember to do the Badlands battlezone, I like the revamped cardassian story arc. Well, let's say I really like the new presentation and the fact that cardassians look a lot more unique now. Like I mentioned before, when WoW upgrades an NPC species to look better... "something" happens a little later. *fingers crossed*
    The story is still quite convoluted. I mean, it was convoluted before and somehow they still had a lot of filler episodes in between. But four episodes to explain all this mess is... ambitious to say the least. They might have needed another two... probably four episodes to make it more plausible.