What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So I went with a rainbow setup...

And damn am I having fun!

I put on the 3 sets from
Krenin Temporal
Preserver Resonant
Quantum Phase
With a Phased biomatter DBB up front just for craps and giggles on my tier 6 heavy destroyer.

Man how much fun it was. I only regret that these sets didn't come out sooner and the fact I waited so long to sub up. I am inlove with the tier 5 and 6 destroyers on my main.

Plus with all the firepower abilities those sets give, it's quite fun to unload and show clear in my heavy destroyer. Who said rainbow ships couldn't be effective.

Now my next plan, is to do basically the same setup on my Valiant using cannons to see how much fun she can be.
afMSv4g.jpg
Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1

Comments

• cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    That was a huge no no, a few seasons ago. But with all the power creep, and mechanics changes....my advice is have fun, and GET SOME!!!!!
  • therealmaddmatttherealmaddmatt Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    Yeah, I've reverted a lot of my builds to more canon ones, adding torps where there should be, etc. If you only PvE and absolutely need to have the best-of-the-best-of-the-etc for general content, then you're definitely doing something wrong...
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    It still may not be as effective, but my spoiled brat rainbow (got a snide comment about different colors on my Polaron ship) really is fun. You can't bank on anything but anything can happen with the procs and stuff. And properly outfitted it does its part.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    Wouldn't a rainbow build of mk 12 beam weapons be more effective than a ship with mk 5 weapons of the same kind?
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    I'm not sure if you are being snide or made a typo, @rickdanko
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
    Neither. If anything, I'm exaggerating. Just trying to make a point that rainbow setups don't automatically equal useless. When I was leveling up, and I got a higher mk beam array, it replaced a lower mk beam array in my build, no matter what color it was.

Besides, if I'm not PVP'ing, what business is it of anyone else what kind of build someone uses?
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I have a rainbow disruptor cannon build on my Klingons Chell Grett.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • dsarisdsaris Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    As I tell all my fleet mates, it's less about the gear and more about the skill set that's behind it. I've not bothered to upgrade any of my weapons or consoles beyond Mk XII and I'm still dishing out enough hurt to obliterate the enemy on Normal and Advanced difficulty settings. Massive power creep + stupid AI enemies means PvE is a cake walk for anyone who understands how to properly utilize the skill tree, BoFF powers and Captain traits.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    But wait guys, can't you use the tac consoles that boost by wep, like Beam or Cannon, rather than the traditional ones that boost by damage type? And wouldn't that negate all the arguments against being a "Rainbow Warrior"?

Pardon me if this is a dumb question; I haven't looked at it in detail...
    I agree with chastity and dsaris. Even the best build is useless if the player is AFK :) Skill matters!
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.

Yes, that's what I do. However, said consoles give less of a boost (Spire consoles give 28.1 instead of 31.9 percent increase)
  • dsarisdsaris Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »

Yes, that's what I do. However, said consoles give less of a boost (Spire consoles give 28.1 instead of 31.9 percent increase)

Correct. However DPS creep being what it is that's still more than sufficient to get the job done... 10k DPS is really all you need to breeze through most content, and we all know there are plenty of ways to crank the numbers far higher than that.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User

Thank you very much for supplying specific numbers.

Actually, that difference is so small as to be a fairly weak argument against, in my opinion. There are numerous small bonuses to be had from things other than Tac consoles. My Sci ship only uses one Tac console anyhow.

Honestly, I'm still not sure about the mechanics of some of that stuff. I know how to use CLR, and the major percentage damage providers are unequivocal, but some of the minor percentage stuff is so oddly named that I have no clue where it comes from. There seem to be a jillion different plasma procs happening, and sometimes it's not even from me, it's from my Scorpions or some other pet. Then there's the damage from my secondary deflector, and some other things that, as I said, I have no idea where on God's green earth they come from. But hey, it's damage to the enemy, and it makes them go BOOM, and I'm cool with that :)
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    So I did what I said and got the cannons from each set and borrowed the consoles from my beam ship and found it was effective, though not as quite, but I think that's indicative of the problems of cannons vs beams.

But I must say with the consoles and such it does make a rainbow setup work.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    Actually, that difference is so small as to be a fairly weak argument against, in my opinion.

In my opinion, too. Some people see it and see a relative difference of more than 10% (31.9 compared to 28.1), but since the damage increases are within different categories, many of the effects are additive, so suddenly it isn't that much of a difference anymore even with 5 consoles equipped.
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Rainbow builds are fine as long as you use the appropriate tactical consoles.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The default consoles give a lesser boost. But both are not as big as they look at first glance. Consoles are added to base damage.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    You are correct. To understand how the damage system works exactly, we would need to go more in-depth. Suffice to say that those percentage boosts are added on a couple of other boosts (e. g. IIRC the rarity bonus). so even with 5 of the consoles active (a difference of 19 percentage points) it may be and probably will be way below 5% of actual damage difference. (And in case you meant that: yes, collecting a "100% damage boost" through consoles does not double your damage output). Even less if you don't have 5 tac consoles going.
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    My ship has rainbow antiproton weapons, if that counts. Croniton dual beam bank (the only true "rainbow" space beam weapon), some radiants, some traditional antiproton, kinetic cutting beam. It's like a colorful laser light show of death when I point my ship at bad guys. :D
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    But wait guys, can't you use the tac consoles that boost by wep, like Beam or Cannon, rather than the traditional ones that boost by damage type? And wouldn't that negate all the arguments against being a "Rainbow Warrior"?

Those consoles boost for less % than the specific type ones. Never understood why Cryptic made it that way. My only thought would be that mixing types might proc more of their 2.5% effects than all of one type? I dunno. OR it's just something someone picked way back when and no one's given it a second thought about it.

Those consoles boost for less % than the specific type ones. Never understood why Cryptic made it that way. My only thought would be that mixing types might proc more of their 2.5% effects than all of one type? I dunno. OR it's just something someone picked way back when and no one's given it a second thought about it.

The second one's certainly a possibility, but the first one would be where I put my money if I were a gambling man.

To oversimplify, different weapon types have different advantages and can synergize. Very simplified: Twice turning off the enemy's shield doesn't hold additional value, extra crit damage is nice but not worth as much if the shields are up. Turn off the shields and score extra damage however is better. (Again, it is more complicated and less black and white, but that I think is the general gist of it)
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    "How could he still be alive i fired the green AND the red ones!"