test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

You know the joke about the....

semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
Long smooth rocket that looks like a guy's [Censored]... This is a movie quote so calm down and I do have a point to make....

Ok gonna be serious here now.
I'm talking about the annorax and it's rather questionable style of construction. From a design standpoint it seems like the designers wanted the crew to die. For any long tube shaped ship like that (stop snickering!) You run into the issue of massive hull weak points and the fact that any shot to the center of the ship will most likely end with you having two halves of a ship.

What do you guys think about the design?
tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

Comments

• Options
    id0liciousid0licious Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    The design was probably like that due to the equipment necessary to fire the "temporal beam" or whatever they refer to it as in Voyager.

Also, the ship was never really meant for combat, per se. It basically sat in it's own dimension until Chakotay/Paris forcefully brought it back into the "Prime" dimension/timeline (or w/e) by sabotaging it's temporal core.

:)

Just my 2c!
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I guess so but calling it a dreadnought implies that it has massive combat capability or at least durability. Let's face it a little concentrated fire on quite a few parts of that ship would either render parts of the ship totally inaccessible or blow the ship into pieces.

• Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    And having engine nacelles and saucer sections on tiny little struts is better? I'll take my chances on the temporal cigar tube thanks. Besides in ST it's all about the shields anyway.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    I have and will always think the Kobali Samsar looks like a male appendage. The color, the head, the bulbous rear, the long tube shaft in between. And it head has this metallic smiling grill.

I have to believe others have seen what i seen.
  • Options
    sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User

Have to be blind not to. I was surprised it didn't come up more when it came out. Pleasantly surprised, mind you; this game does not need juvenile discussion on phallic starship design.
  • Options
    revjimjonesrevjimjones Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    I have and will always think the Kobali Samsar looks like a male appendage. The color, the head, the bulbous rear, the long tube shaft in between. And it head has this metallic smiling grill.

The Word you are looking for is Phallic.
    EXH79YQ.gif
    stuffbydavid.com/textcolorizer
    Sarcasm Font and color[ font="Trebuchet MS"][ color=#FF61F4][ /color][ /font]
  • Options
    I seriously LOL'd on this one

• Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Maybe a some sort of animals but not a humans.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    The same argument can be used for most Klingon ships having their bridges, at the head of a ship; if that gets blown off, boom goes the ship. Likewise, most Federation designs (especially the traditional ones) have a neck, that if destroyed, will split the ship in two.

I think the only species to have ship designed right are the Borg. Everything is in the central core with the ship built around it. Blow one bit off and it'll continue on.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    Annorax is a time-magic cannon with engines strapped to it. That's why it looks that way ;-)
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    flash525 wrote: »
    The same argument can be used for most Klingon ships having their bridges, at the head of a ship; if that gets blown off, boom goes the ship. Likewise, most Federation designs (especially the traditional ones) have a neck, that if destroyed, will split the ship in two.

I think the only species to have ship designed right are the Borg. Everything is in the central core with the ship built around it. Blow one bit off and it'll continue on.

and that's why they're hard to bring down...
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    Not in STO they're not. I've had tougher times with the Vaudwaar. :wink:

attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    flash525 wrote: »
    Not in STO they're not. I've had tougher times with the Vaudwaar. :wink:
    that is sadly true...

the borg are a joke here
  • Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    What about the Romulan Dyson ship?

Also, inbeforethelocktoprotestthelock. :)
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    therealmaddmatttherealmaddmatt Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    If it were built with 20th-century technology, then these would be structurally weak points. But between future-magic fabrication techniques and SIF fields (of which would presumably be tougher than deflector shields to begin with), then concerns about the ship's shape is moot.

As was alluded to earlier, the in-game Annorax Science Dreadnought was based off of a ship that wasn't a dreadnought -- it's only called a dreadnought as a function of it's in-game combat role.
  • Options
    id0liciousid0licious Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    semalda226 wrote: »
    I guess so but calling it a dreadnought implies that it has massive combat capability or at least durability.
    As was alluded to earlier, the in-game Annorax Science Dreadnought was based off of a ship that wasn't a dreadnought -- it's only called a dreadnought as a function of it's in-game combat role.

This is important.

As I did in fact again watch the two-part Krenim mini-series of Voyager just last week, it should be said that it was never called a dreadnought in the show. This is something that Cryptic labeled it as for the game, so it could be classified as something (and not just magic space wizard ship), and given the appropriate starship mastery.
  • Options
    aethon3050aethon3050 Member Posts: 599 Arc User
    Long smooth rocket that looks like a guy's [Censored]... This is a movie quote so calm down and I do have a point to make....

I like where this thread is Gorn!
  • Options
    aethon3050 wrote: »

it's already gorn out the window

• Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    If you have an Atrox Carrier and you are reading this, look at it from above.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User

No kidding. People always say the Ha'apax and its variants look really phallic, but they don't hold a candle to the Atrox.​​
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options

No kidding. People always say the Ha'apax and its variants look really phallic, but they don't hold a candle to the Atrox.​​

isn't that a kitty ship?
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User

One doesn't have to have that certain eye or mindset to see how that ship is so very wrongly designed, it's the worst offender even more than the Bulwark in my opinion. If it weren't for the fact I found it a very good Fed carrier for a long time, I'd have found it too embarrassing to use. If they ever make a T6 version I hope they do something to make it look less like it does now, preferably boxier and with sharper points and edges.
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Look at it from the rear and it kind of resembles a cat squatting in a litter tray yes.
    But from above...
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User

No kidding. People always say the Ha'apax and its variants look really phallic, but they don't hold a candle to the Atrox.

isn't that a kitty ship?

Yeah. It's the dark blue one with the million windows.​​
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options

One doesn't have to have that certain eye or mindset to see how that ship is so very wrongly designed, it's the worst offender even more than the Bulwark in my opinion. If it weren't for the fact I found it a very good Fed carrier for a long time, I'd have found it too embarrassing to use. If they ever make a T6 version I hope they do something to make it look less like it does now, preferably boxier and with sharper points and edges.

sharper, like with teeth?
  • Options

No kidding. People always say the Ha'apax and its variants look really phallic, but they don't hold a candle to the Atrox.

isn't that a kitty ship?

Yeah. It's the dark blue one with the million windows.​​

Oh I know that. I'm um... making a TRIBBLE joke

• Options
    aethon3050aethon3050 Member Posts: 599 Arc User

Oh well. It was quite a Trill, while it lasted.
  • Options

Oh well. It was quite a Trill, while it lasted.

Could be worse. This Trill of a story that was Gorn out the window could had a theme set on Tellar

This discussion has been closed.