test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New trek TV Show on 2017

Comments

• Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    I would love for STO to receive a promotional boost and get the funds and attention it deserves but I honestly hope the connection isn't the Enterprise F.

Here's to hoping they hire someone with actual talent to design a proper successor.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    My guess is that it won't even have the Enterprise in it.
    (other then perhaps a passing mention)

I wonder if they will get Drexler and/or Probert to work on the show?
    I'd like to see people who helped design Trek in the past get to showcase their talents again.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    hartzilla wrote: »
    If anything, this will just be set in the future Prime universe,

Or in the JJverse do to working things out, or its another reboot.

Considering Nemesis was a flop and Enterprise was canceled AND THEY REBOOTED, I doubt their touching the Prime Universe again.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the same general timeline either, if only to take advantage of the designs already available in STO for a modern take, as well as a possible series of tie-ins like some alien ships to appear in the new TV series.

And I really doubt they would base it on STO.

They can only go back to their much-beloved Prime Universe. Alternate ones are veering into Paramount territory and they don't want to reboot yet again and run the risk of getting it even more confused with JJ Trek.

And I don't mean base it off STO directly, such as the story, but I meant more along the lines of some of the NPC ships and races that we haven't really seen in the series itself besides maybe a one or two-off appearance appearing as allies or enemies. As well, there's the 2400 designs/redesigns that they can utilize for a more modern take on the ships, if they so desire to set it in a more modern timeline.

I mean, the work is done in the general design; it's up to CBS to pull on it and change it up or reuse them. They have the convenience of an entire game to pull some concepts and ideas from.

I'm personally expecting that they may set it within the general timeline STO runs, and using the Odyssey-class they claimed for the official next Enterprise competition as the iconic ship. If not, I do expect it will still show up if the series is focusing on a smaller ship and crew but operating in the same general timeline.

Given that this is CBS, they are free to write their own history that will either invalidate STO's take or end up working alongside it.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    “I can confirm it right now.” Dorn said. “CBS/Paramount is coming out with a television series in 2017 and from what I’ve read, it’s going to be the J.J. Abrams-universe. So, it’s going to be a different timeline and we are not in in.”

Aside from Alex Kurtzman serving as executive producer of the show, I have not been told that the series will be part of the timeline created in Abrams’ Star Trek (2009) and Star Trek Into Darkness. At this early juncture, it may not even be decided.
    From Dorn's mouth 2d ago
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    As long as the ship is not named "Enterprise" then I am ok... sorry but the "Enterprise" TV show was TRIBBLE. There never was an Enterprise... they fact that they had to rely on it's name is a joke. You would need to retcon it in for it to exist... frankly I like that it was all a holo novel and I just pass it ALL off as fiction. Vulcan in skin tight body suit... yeah sure for the teenage fan boys. BTW having the "Enterprise" rise up to be the Flag ship was pretty stupid too.
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    Vulcan in skin tight body suit... yeah sure for the teenage fan boys.

Hey! I liked that outfit! She looked really good in that. I mean she looked REALLY GOOD in that! The Starfleet gals in the blue Sears repairman coveralls ruined it. Anyone who says Vulcans have no sense of style should really watch that series more closely. T'pol gave "Live long and prosper" a whole new level of meaning.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    “I can confirm it right now.” Dorn said. “CBS/Paramount is coming out with a television series in 2017 and from what I’ve read, it’s going to be the J.J. Abrams-universe. So, it’s going to be a different timeline and we are not in in.”

Aside from Alex Kurtzman serving as executive producer of the show, I have not been told that the series will be part of the timeline created in Abrams’ Star Trek (2009) and Star Trek Into Darkness. At this early juncture, it may not even be decided.
    From Dorn's mouth 2d ago

If you find the full video he says that its a theory he has not cold hard facts
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    goodscotch wrote: »

Hey! I liked that outfit! She looked really good in that. I mean she looked REALLY GOOD in that! The Starfleet gals in the blue Sears repairman coveralls ruined it. Anyone who says Vulcans have no sense of style should really watch that series more closely. T'pol gave "Live long and prosper" a whole new level of meaning.

Wow, you must be really shallow.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User

From Dorn's mouth 2d ago

CBS can't touch the JJverse beyond it's ramifications in the prime universe (Hobus Supernova, Romulus gone, Spock KIA) so given it's CBS producing this then it's going to either be Prime Universe or a complete reboot.

Or it could be set in the Mirror Universe but that sort of universe would be a little beyond the standards for family viewing given what was seen in the few glimpses we got of the mirror universe.
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    samt1996 wrote: »
    I would love for STO to receive a promotional boost and get the funds and attention it deserves but I honestly hope the connection isn't the Enterprise F.

Here's to hoping they hire someone with actual talent to design a proper successor.

None of those things will happen.
    bluedarky wrote: »

From Dorn's mouth 2d ago

CBS can't touch the JJverse beyond it's ramifications in the prime universe (Hobus Supernova, Romulus gone, Spock KIA) so given it's CBS producing this then it's going to either be Prime Universe or a complete reboot.

Or it could be set in the Mirror Universe but that sort of universe would be a little beyond the standards for family viewing given what was seen in the few glimpses we got of the mirror universe.

CBS 'could' touch the JJverse but it's unlikely.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    goodscotch wrote: »

Wow, you must be really shallow.​​

IDIC
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User

Called it!
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    tigercatgirltigercatgirl Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    It has the potential to destroy the franchise forever. here is why....
    1) Krutzman is the executive producer, and he is also the really bad writer for both of JJ's movies. He is good friends with JJ and his friends, so if Bad Robot is involved that doesn't bode well. Krutzman I don't think can knows how angry fans can get.
    2) CBS has left out too many things like which universe it will be set it. CBS owns intellectual property in the TNG universe, but paramount owns the TOS rights. Its hard to know where it will be set in.
    3) So far none of the people involved had any contact or knowledge of Roddenberry. So no one knows of his vision. There has been no news if Frakes can be a director, who worked with Roddenbery and knows his vision for the series. This is true of other directors and writers for the series. This is true for makeup and costumes too, so there is a lot missing.
    4) It will pay TV only. Only the premiere will be made public, all episodes after that will only be available to subscribers. This is just asking for it to be pirated, they would do better with public advertising. Now this could be boon...because if it pay tv...that means ferengi females can be nude, and so can dabo girls!....this could get a lot of male subscribers...lol.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    It has the potential to destroy the franchise forever. here is why....
    1) Krutzman is the executive producer, and he is also the really bad writer for both of JJ's movies. He is good friends with JJ and his friends, so if Bad Robot is involved that doesn't bode well. Krutzman I don't think can knows how angry fans can get.
    2) CBS has left out too many things like which universe it will be set it. CBS owns intellectual property in the TNG universe, but paramount owns the TOS rights. Its hard to know where it will be set in.
    3) So far none of the people involved had any contact or knowledge of Roddenberry. So no one knows of his vision. There has been no news if Frakes can be a director, who worked with Roddenbery and knows his vision for the series. This is true of other directors and writers for the series. This is true for makeup and costumes too, so there is a lot missing.
    4) It will pay TV only. Only the premiere will be made public, all episodes after that will only be available to subscribers. This is just asking for it to be pirated, they would do better with public advertising. Now this could be boon...because if it pay tv...that means ferengi females can be nude, and so can dabo girls!....this could get a lot of male subscribers...lol.

2) Yes, because those two films were unsuccessful right? Nope. Star Trek fans will moan about anything. You could release the original masters of TOS and they'd complain that the cardboard sets aren't the same shade of yellow they saw on their TVs.

2) It's two years away, why would they announce that yet?

3) Good. Roddenbury is responsible for TOS and TNG S1&2. We never want to see their like again. Makeup, like massive hair and black and white bodypaint? Or are you saying the AR films didn't have makeup or costumes?

4) Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    Some people have good ideas but should not be in charge of projects.

George Lucas work on the prequels is about the same way I feel of Gene Roddenberry's early trek. It was so much better after he keeled over.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yeah... Roddenberry's "vision" was dollar signs....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekeRswcbo5E
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    which ship will have the captain of the new tv show? an herald ship or maybe an undine ship?
  • Options
    It's a game and we are allowed to role play for our own personal amusement. Get over it.
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    How about a story involving 29th Century Wells class ships, one that is on a mission through time and is forced to have a crew, assembled by whichever actors from previous series are willing to come back?
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    Anyone who accuses anyone else of "missing the point of Trek" needs to get a grip/life. There is no singular "point" of Trek. A lot of different people have made Trek at this point, including JJ. They all have their own points, ideas, and agendas.

I hope you're not aiming that Withering Comment [x2Acc][CrtH] array at me, Nagus!

Because while you are right, I'd like to point out at least that I'm not mentioning the "point" of Trek, but the premise of it. And Star Trek, as a franchise, does indeed have some key features of the entire premise of the franchise (as I'm sure you know).

And as I am trying to state, one of the key items of Trek's premise is the fact that their society is, in all practical terms comparative to ours, a utopian one. Yeah it has its hiccups from time to time, mostly external, though occasionally internal.
    But one of the central pillars of the idea of Star Trek is that humans Got Better and continue to Be Better. To strive for excellence and integrity in the face of adversity.

Like, that is pretty much one of the central features of the series, across all boards. You take that out and you're left with.... well, I dunno, but not Star Trek, I think.

It's kinda why, at least here, I'm balking at the notion of a Trek series that starts off with the idea that "evil and darkness aren't always found in other places. Sometimes they're in your own backyard.", haha. It's just been done already, in Trek and elsewhere.

The original 'premise' of Star trek was/is:

A lone starship out in space, exploring and encountering and aliens, strange phenomena, 'policing' their assigned area and checking up on allied outposts and bases. there was no "Earth society is Utopian" in the ORIGINAL premise (mankind and society had evolved, yes, but TOS still used money (credits) and had prejudices against alien societies.)

People will bring up the original preamble of 'seek out new life, and new civilizations'; but if you WATCHED Star Trek, the episodes didn't have much of that. yes, often a Captain's log would start out with "We're here to Explore/Map <X>..." and usually 30 seconds to a minute later in the opening teaser a plot complication would arise that would become the focus of the episode - and at the end of said episode they would complete the original mission (off screen) or decide to move on to their next assignment.

'Star Trek' originally was an action adventure show set in a futuristic science fiction setting that OCCASIONALLY did a story that had some underpinning of social relevance. For whatever reason (perhaps after YEARS of fans telling GH he was some sort of futuristic 'visionary' - which perhaps he started to believe - but if you read up on the guy he was just another Hollywood producer trying to make a name (and living) for himself - and thought he could do an entertaining version of 'Forbidden Planet' (a classic science fiction film circa 1956) for TV.)

IMO his ORIGINAL vision of Star Trek (1966-1969) was great (and developed to what we came to know as Star Trek more by Gene L. Coon and not GR; although GR in later years liked to take credit for anything and everything Star Trek). For me the heavily retconned premise that became TNG and where they tried to have a 'socially relevant' element to EVERY episode; and also the idea that Earth was now a utopian society where no one cared about money, everything was somehow provided for, and EVERYONE just 'worked to better themselves' was ridiculous and unrealistic; and I liked Star Trek was it was an interesting and engaging piece of science fiction entertainment; and not some weird philosophy (which is IMO what GR made TNG into.)

Personally, I hope it's a full on reboot that jettisons the TNG utopian elements and returns Star Trek to it's roots (much like the Abram's franchise has done.)

Oh, and before someone replies with the "you're not a long time Star Trek fan and don't get Star Trek" - I've been watching Star trek first run since its third season on NBC in 1969 (I was six years old) and have seen all the other incarnations first run from the animated series in 1973 to the feature films, to TNG, DS9, VOY <-- This was the one Trek series I abandoned after its first season as the writing was so ridiculously bad, which is a shame because it had a great premise they pretty much abandoned early on - to ENT <- Which I feel became the only modern Star trek series to recapture some of the 'spark' the original had, especially in seasons 3 and 4.) IMO ENT's 4th season was the best season of Star Trek produced since the first season of TOS. YMMV of course.

IMO the worst thing this new series could do would be to continue on with the "Prime Universe" and all the 'utopian' ideals of the 24th century. But that's me.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    No its not just you, your completely correct. I like you!

+10000
  • Options
    Trying to better onrself and our race is a good goal but it's not easily or quickly achieved.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    Anyone who accuses anyone else of "missing the point of Trek" needs to get a grip/life. There is no singular "point" of Trek. A lot of different people have made Trek at this point, including JJ. They all have their own points, ideas, and agendas.

I hope you're not aiming that Withering Comment [x2Acc][CrtH] array at me, Nagus!

Because while you are right, I'd like to point out at least that I'm not mentioning the "point" of Trek, but the premise of it. And Star Trek, as a franchise, does indeed have some key features of the entire premise of the franchise (as I'm sure you know).

And as I am trying to state, one of the key items of Trek's premise is the fact that their society is, in all practical terms comparative to ours, a utopian one. Yeah it has its hiccups from time to time, mostly external, though occasionally internal.
    But one of the central pillars of the idea of Star Trek is that humans Got Better and continue to Be Better. To strive for excellence and integrity in the face of adversity.

Like, that is pretty much one of the central features of the series, across all boards. You take that out and you're left with.... well, I dunno, but not Star Trek, I think.

It's kinda why, at least here, I'm balking at the notion of a Trek series that starts off with the idea that "evil and darkness aren't always found in other places. Sometimes they're in your own backyard.", haha. It's just been done already, in Trek and elsewhere.

The original 'premise' of Star trek was/is:

A lone starship out in space, exploring and encountering and aliens, strange phenomena, 'policing' their assigned area and checking up on allied outposts and bases. there was no "Earth society is Utopian" in the ORIGINAL premise (mankind and society had evolved, yes, but TOS still used money (credits) and had prejudices against alien societies.)

People will bring up the original preamble of 'seek out new life, and new civilizations'; but if you WATCHED Star Trek, the episodes didn't have much of that. yes, often a Captain's log would start out with "We're here to Explore/Map <X>..." and usually 30 seconds to a minute later in the opening teaser a plot complication would arise that would become the focus of the episode - and at the end of said episode they would complete the original mission (off screen) or decide to move on to their next assignment.

'Star Trek' originally was an action adventure show set in a futuristic science fiction setting that OCCASIONALLY did a story that had some underpinning of social relevance. For whatever reason (perhaps after YEARS of fans telling GH he was some sort of futuristic 'visionary' - which perhaps he started to believe - but if you read up on the guy he was just another Hollywood producer trying to make a name (and living) for himself - and thought he could do an entertaining version of 'Forbidden Planet' (a classic science fiction film circa 1956) for TV.)

IMO his ORIGINAL vision of Star Trek (1966-1969) was great (and developed to what we came to know as Star Trek more by Gene L. Coon and not GR; although GR in later years liked to take credit for anything and everything Star Trek). For me the heavily retconned premise that became TNG and where they tried to have a 'socially relevant' element to EVERY episode; and also the idea that Earth was now a utopian society where no one cared about money, everything was somehow provided for, and EVERYONE just 'worked to better themselves' was ridiculous and unrealistic; and I liked Star Trek was it was an interesting and engaging piece of science fiction entertainment; and not some weird philosophy (which is IMO what GR made TNG into.)

Personally, I hope it's a full on reboot that jettisons the TNG utopian elements and returns Star Trek to it's roots (much like the Abram's franchise has done.)

Oh, and before someone replies with the "you're not a long time Star Trek fan and don't get Star Trek" - I've been watching Star trek first run since its third season on NBC in 1969 (I was six years old) and have seen all the other incarnations first run from the animated series in 1973 to the feature films, to TNG, DS9, VOY <-- This was the one Trek series I abandoned after its first season as the writing was so ridiculously bad, which is a shame because it had a great premise they pretty much abandoned early on - to ENT <- Which I feel became the only modern Star trek series to recapture some of the 'spark' the original had, especially in seasons 3 and 4.) IMO ENT's 4th season was the best season of Star Trek produced since the first season of TOS. YMMV of course.

IMO the worst thing this new series could do would be to continue on with the "Prime Universe" and all the 'utopian' ideals of the 24th century. But that's me.

You've said everything I have felt about Star Trek
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    Trying to better onrself and our race is a good goal but it's not easily or quickly achieved.
    It's also highly subjective. One could argue that Khan is the embodiment of that goal.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    damienvryce2damienvryce2 Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Ok read the article not the thread yet (at work). What I saw was that he co-wrote In To Darkness. JJ Trek like show coming to the small screen? Oh God this might make Voyager look like TNG. :#

Side note : does lens flare translate well to tv? B)
    Post edited by damienvryce2 on
    STO: Where men are men and the women probably are too.
    I support the Star Trek Battles channel.
  • Options
    Exactly... the fundemental flaw in his idea of Utopia is that there are trillions of beings and three hundred or so species each with their own ideas of "Utopia."
  • Options
    Exactly... the fundemental flaw in his idea of Utopia is that there are trillions of beings and three hundred or so species each with their own ideas of "Utopia."
    Heh, I don't think you would even be able to get Humans to agree on the definition. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Exactly my point. Saying that the human race agrees on what utopia would be is more than i can believe much less that we could achieve it.
  • Options
    Ok read the article not the thread yet (at work). What I saw was that he co-wrote In To Darkness. JJ Trek like show coming to the small screen? Oh God this might make Voyager look like TNG. :#

Side note : does lens flare translate well to tv? B)

You bet! We have Wide Screen 60" HD screens now :) Some even have 4K Screens
  • Options
    Exactly my point. Saying that the human race agrees on what utopia would be is more than i can believe much less that we could achieve it.

It can be done... just need to stomach to do it. <- Kill a lot of folks for the "greater good". Examples are still here on this world, course they didnt set about to bring Utopia to Earth... just their point of view to their little corner of the world.