test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Should only critical hits be able to interrupt your actions in STF's or Episode missions?

cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
Some mission actions are interrupt-able, others are not. For those that are, even one point of damage can be the difference between completing an objective in time or failing. Do you think it would be sensible to change interruptions to only trigger on Critical hits?
Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
vGdvFsX.jpg

Should only critical hits be able to interrupt your actions in STF's or Episode missions? 61 votes

Yes, actions should onl....Gah, dangit! Actions should only b... Oh come on, I was cloaked! Should only be interrupt-able... Oh great, time's up! @#$!&
59% 36 votes
No way! Keep it a challenge. Kill 'em all, then interact.
19% 12 votes
I've got a better idea! (Do tell)
13% 8 votes
Can't even begin to care one way or the other.
8% 5 votes

Comments

• Options
    tolmariustolmarius Member Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Seriously.....I'm in a kilometer long space battleship with armor and powerful energy shielding. The only reason I can think of to stop, say, triggering the power transfer in Mirror Invasion is that my ops officer has a nervous condition and pees himself whenever we take a hit to the shields.
    3T6cHqb.png
  • Options
    shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    Yeah, actions being interrupted by weapon fire that can't penetrate raised shields should be re-examined.
  • Options
    cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    tolmarius wrote: »
    Seriously.....I'm in a kilometer long space battleship with armor and powerful energy shielding. The only reason I can think of to stop, say, triggering the power transfer in Mirror Invasion is that my ops officer has a nervous condition and pees himself whenever we take a hit to the shields.

That's pretty much my thinking, too. Non critical hits, especially to shields, should be pretty routine. It really chafes on some of the STFs like Mirror Invasion where you're trying to close as many portals as possible.
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    It annoys me that even when I run immunity powers I seem to get interrupted a lt.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    Yes. Getting hit by a measly pea shot that interrupts anything you do is incredibly annoying.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Kill them all, let Gene sort 'em out.

Then proceed with the mission.

Problem solved.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    I don't care correctly reflects on the option I voted for.
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    Being interrupted while closing something or disabling something (coughazurenebularescuecough), more often than not because of enemy BFAW (coughazurenebularescuecough) ignoring an ally dragging aggro, is very annoying, completely unnecessary and doesn't even begin to make sense from a RP point of view.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go see a doctor and let him get a look at that cough I seem to have catched.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Danubes broke it the other night.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    tolmarius wrote: »

I literally saw a 2point hit on my ship tonight that interrupted....
  • Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    My biggest complaint is that that the game is so inconsistent. Some places you could be taking a pounding, no shields left. 5% hull and you can STILL be closing some portal or interacting with something. And then you have things like the MI where your ship is hit with a pebble and you stop the action. Insanity.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I kinda like it the way it is. It rewards positioning, use of crowd control and certain defensive special abilities, and it encourages the use of science vessels.

Other than "kill them all", you can use tractor beam repulsors (+speed buff), scramble sensors, certain damage immunity granting abilities (There is a Vesta console at least that does that) to get the enemies out of weapon range.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    lordvalecortezlordvalecortez Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    While I like that is encourages some team work, the idea that everything has to stop whenever you take the smallest plink against your shield makes no sense. By that logic you should never, and I mean NEVER, get anything done at all because your deflector dish is constantly deflecting away small spatial matter.
    Cheers from Antonio Valerio Cortez III, Half-Celestial Archduke of the Free Marches Confederacy.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    While I like that is encourages some team work, the idea that everything has to stop whenever you take the smallest plink against your shield makes no sense. By that logic you should never, and I mean NEVER, get anything done at all because your deflector dish is constantly deflecting away small spatial matter.
    Realism is overrated. And we're not talking about small spatial matter. Our deflectors protect us a 100 % from it, thus it deals no damage. We're talking about ships shooting at us. Actual weapons, designed to break through shields. Stuff that will kill us if we don't stop it.
    There is certainly no argument to limit it to criticals in there.
    And even if it doesn't actually stop your officers and equipment from doing what they are doing -it's still interfering with the process, because it's extra energy and particles unaccounted for in your officer's calculations, and inherently not accountable for since the enemy fire is often random and unexpected.

Maybe one could imagine a more complex system, where damage taken just sets you back in the process, say every second you take damage adds another 2 seconds to the countdown (but never beyond the top). That would stop you in your tracks when exposed to heavy fire, but might allow you to keep going when only taking stray damage. But that would probably require that the process itself takes longer than it does now. As it is now, you can almost finish the cooldown between an enemy ship's beam cycle in a science vessel.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I voted no but not nessessarily in order to kill em all first.
    There is a tonne of abilities, consoles and traits that offer enough immunity to get those interacts done without issue so I don't think a change is needed.
    Plus the mirror invasion in particular is built so certain ships already have a distinct advantage at closing portals etc. I just think people should play to their ship's advantages but not expect to be able to do everything.

That said in advance MI the spawn rate and hit points of the enemy means there is so much spam flying round that any amount of immunity is useless in a short time anyway. But that is more to do with bad design and game balance than needing any change to the interacts. You can still easily close portals whilst being shot by only a couple of advanced enemies, but once you have 5, 10 or even 20 of the buggers to deal with it becomes an issue.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Better idea. Only interrupt your actions if you take a certain percentage of max health as damage in one hit.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    If you'd asked me before the mirror event I'd have voted for the status quo, but you didn't so I haven't.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    Or make it so that you don't lose progress, so that you don't have to start all over again.
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Jam Sensors works pretty good.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    tempus64 wrote: »
    My biggest complaint is that that the game is so inconsistent. Some places you could be taking a pounding, no shields left. 5% hull and you can STILL be closing some portal or interacting with something. And then you have things like the MI where your ship is hit with a pebble and you stop the action. Insanity.

This I did notice as well, last night I took like 3 or 4 hits to my shield but I was still able to complete my action...was weird, next portal, I got hit once and I was interrupted...was strange.
    Will have to pay closer attention tonight to see if this happens regularly.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    This is why I love the Tier 5 mastery trait of the Pathfinder. Temporary HP being drained by enemy fire don't interrupt your interactions (except on some occasions I'm still not completely sure about), even if you're subjected to DoT like those annoying Borg torps.

But I can definitely understand why this is frustrating to fail an interaction because a tiny shot removed a tinier portion of your shields. And even when you're not the target, some trolling mob WILL activate FAW just to tick you off.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    Actions should only be interrupted if an enemy hits your hull because your shields are down, bleedthrough should not interrupt an action
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    This is why I love the Tier 5 mastery trait of the Pathfinder. Temporary HP being drained by enemy fire don't interrupt your interactions (except on some occasions I'm still not completely sure about), even if you're subjected to DoT like those annoying Borg torps.

But I can definitely understand why this is frustrating to fail an interaction because a tiny shot removed a tinier portion of your shields. And even when you're not the target, some trolling mob WILL activate FAW just to tick you off.

I get interrupted in mirror with 100% of temporary still active. I have the trait on 3 characters.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    thenoname711thenoname711 Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    Only disables, repel or holds should count as interruptable action. Mirror invasion suffers from being too old map, devs aren't even able to change it. Newer missions already have some actions that cannot be interrupted.
    Gameserver not found.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Honestly it can be bypassed rather easily. Either by having players work in pairs, or by using powers to keep from taking hull damage while closing rifts.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Yes teamwork is another way to avoid the issue. If 1 player goes into a rift and starts tearing up the npcs then a science boat can rock up undisturbed and close that rift.
    Heck you don't even need to use chat or team speak, just follow a player that looks to be effective at the opposite role and enjoy. It's really that easy, won't work every time but there has to be some challenge to it!
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    Hello Captain, we're now decloaked right in the middle of 5 targets...

Wait - this wasn't a discussion about how interacts decloak everyone almost everywhere?

Though yeah, while it's annoying that I can't "solo" Mirror (Terran now?) Incursion in my Sci - especially when the waves start spamming - I try to remember that this is an MMO and that teamwork is always nice to have...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Honestly it can be bypassed rather easily. Either by having players work in pairs, or by using powers to keep from taking hull damage while closing rifts.
    Teamwork? I didn't start playing a single player MMO so I must engage in teamwork!

Also, why can't I just space bar all the time to win. Why do I need to press F occassionally, too?

I thought this was an RPS game? (Rapid Pressing of Space Bar!)
  • Options
    Teamwork? I didn't start playing a single player MMO so I must engage in teamwork!

Also, why can't I just space bar all the time to win. Why do I need to press F occassionally, too?

I thought this was an RPS game? (Rapid Pressing of Space Bar!)

Never go Full RPS.
    Your spacebar will die a horrible death, and then you're out of luck. Unless you have another keyboard laying around.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    Shields have bleeds through, remember? The energy actually touches the hull every hit, a small amount of it anyway. But I think there should be some equation that determines whether you get interrupted. Based upon your shield type and hull resistances... Beyond a certain threshold, you're interrupted.
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco