Also check out my review of the Herald Baltim Heavy Raider [T6]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F56yb31nzCw

0:11 Introduction
2:08 Ship Stats, Gear and Build
9:57 Shield Visuals
12:47 PvE Run: Tholian Red Alert
15:22 PvE Run: Gorn Mine Field
21:41 Conclusion/Final Verdict

Enjoy! Did you find these videos informative?

Post edited by sarcasmdetector on

Comments

• Options
    xiesha911xiesha911 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    In other discussion i read that Vonph drop rate is 1/750... So what is real drop rate 1/750 or 1/400~???

Quas price is 150mil~ (1/250 drop rate) and if Vonph drop rate is 1/400~... fair price is 250~ mil.
    And this is not limited time ship... lockbox ship for 900+ mil, srsly lol...
  • Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    xiesha911 wrote: »
    In other discussion i read that Vonph drop rate is 1/750... So what is real drop rate 1/750 or 1/400~???

Quas price is 150mil~ (1/250 drop rate) and if Vonph drop rate is 1/400~... fair price is 250~ mil.

The only one I've seen saying 1/750 also said that that number was more of a "gut feeling" based on how many messages were flashing across the screen. The 1/400 number was based on some people opening 4000 or so lockboxes. Still not enough IMO for a truly accurate number but it's the best I've seen to date. Those same people are saying the Quas was dropping at 1/160 which is better than the typical lockboxes.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    You would think the price would be lower but I think it'll drop over time. Remember this box will be here for three months
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    Can't believe the size of those carriers. Had 3 in a mirror invasion run earlier. 1 was right on top of my ship and even zoomed all the way out it still took up over half the screen.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    My latest ship review video of

Will you be doing one for the Quas as well?
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    Sarcasm, I'd agree and disagree on some points regarding the Vonph.

I disagree on the handling of the ship. In general, with few exceptions, 2-hangar Carriers in the game move like pigs. I never had the Narcine but across several characters, I own and have used all the other 2-hangar Carriers in both PVE and PVP (way back in the day). Atrox, JHDC, Vo'Quv, Kar'Fi, Advanced Obelisk, Sarr Theln, Recluse... All but the Narcine. In general, they are all sluggish ships. I absolutely loved my JHDC and Vo'Quv for PVP long ago. But you needed careful maneuvering if you didn't want to slide yourself out of combat. Most of these Carriers, you miss your turn or you start decelerating for that turn too late, you'll miss your point and you'll be sliding past where you intended to be. Most Carriers, I rarely flew at 3/4 or full throttle. I typically sat at 1/2 throttle or at times even 1/4 during combat. If you build for beamboating then sure, you can go faster with higher throttles. Even then you had to monitor your speed and how wide your flying patterns are because even with beamboating in a Carrier, you can still wander too far off. Vonph is nothing special, nothing worse in this regard. Sluggish handling is simply just a fact of life in Carrier play. Kar'Fi and Narcine are the only 2 that buck this trend.

As for the Baltim Raider Frigates, can't comment on their poerformance myself, I did not go for them. But slow traveling Hangar Units are a general fact of life in this game. You either fast travel to the next hot spot for combat and let your hangar units slowly catch up, or you take the time and recover all of them before heading to the next distant spot for combat. But that takes time.

Size... The ship is damn huge. It reminds me of the Elachi Monbosh in terms of it's mask-like shape, how it takes up the screen by spreading across from the center, but it goes even further than that.

On a related note to its size and shape, sometimes it's hard to tell what the exact pitch is your ship is pointing at (up, down) if you don't have a side view. The shape of the ship makes it confusing at times, at least it did for me.

Cost... I see it go now in the 900m or so EC range. The last ship I recall going for that much was very long ago for the very rare Bulwarks. Even then, I recall them going 800m. The other thing with cost is if you want the full herald ship console set. Last I saw the Quas and Baltim were going roughly 160m EC each. Baltim alternatively can be attained by 900 Lobi. For a full ship specific console set, that is expensive but not ground breaking. Dominion ship console set did the same, expensive route.

Side note on the full Herald Console Set: It's a Particle Generator / Exotic Damage set. To make the most of that, you naturally need high Particle Generator Skill total and all the things necessary to make these science heavy builds excel. But a Vonph is a Cmdr TAC, 7 weapon ship with a 3/4/4 console layout and not a SCI heavy ship like Atrox, Vo'Quv. PGen builds are demanding on console slots to make them worthwhile and that can be a dilemma for the Vonph because in its heart, it wants to be a more traditional TAC Carrier like JHDC. To top it off, to play with the full set it takes 3 console slots to make it even harder to make it effective.

Or you could say, "TRIBBLE it." If you play without the consoles, then you got tons, tons more build freedom with a 7 weapon, TAC Cmdr Carrier having 4 TAC, 4 SCI Console slots.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

On a related note to its size and shape, sometimes it's hard to tell what the exact pitch is your ship is pointing at (up, down) if you don't have a side view. The shape of the ship makes it confusing at times, at least it did for me.
    The other Iconian ships have the same problem, really.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited November 2015
    tempus64 wrote: »
    My latest ship review video of

Will you be doing one for the Quas as well?

Unfortunately, even with the assistance of Rahmi; my ship budget is wiped out. So I currently don't have any plans to review the Quas sadly.

I do however accept ship as donations for the purpose of doing ship reviews.

I disagree on the handling of the ship. In general, with few exceptions, 2-hangar Carriers in the game move like pigs. I never had the Narcine but across several characters, I own and have used all the other 2-hangar Carriers in both PVE and PVP (way back in the day). Atrox, JHDC, Vo'Quv, Kar'Fi, Advanced Obelisk, Sarr Theln, Recluse... All but the Narcine. In general, they are all sluggish ships. I absolutely loved my JHDC and Vo'Quv for PVP long ago. But you needed careful maneuvering if you didn't want to slide yourself out of combat. Most of these Carriers, you miss your turn or you start decelerating for that turn too late, you'll miss your point and you'll be sliding past where you intended to be. Most Carriers, I rarely flew at 3/4 or full throttle. I typically sat at 1/2 throttle or at times even 1/4 during combat. If you build for beamboating then sure, you can go faster with higher throttles. Even then you had to monitor your speed and how wide your flying patterns are because even with beamboating in a Carrier, you can still wander too far off. Vonph is nothing special, nothing worse in this regard. Sluggish handling is simply just a fact of life in Carrier play. Kar'Fi and Narcine are the only 2 that buck this trend.

As for the Baltim Raider Frigates, can't comment on their poerformance myself, I did not go for them. But slow traveling Hangar Units are a general fact of life in this game. You either fast travel to the next hot spot for combat and let your hangar units slowly catch up, or you take the time and recover all of them before heading to the next distant spot for combat. But that takes time.

Size... The ship is damn huge. It reminds me of the Elachi Monbosh in terms of it's mask-like shape, how it takes up the screen by spreading across from the center, but it goes even further than that.

Cost... I see it go now in the 900m or so EC range. The last ship I recall going for that much was very long ago for the very rare Bulwarks. Even then, I recall them going 800m. The other thing with cost is if you want the full herald ship console set. Last I saw the Quas and Baltim were going roughly 160m EC each. Baltim alternatively can be attained by 900 Lobi. For a full ship specific console set, that is expensive but not ground breaking. Dominion ship console set did the same, expensive route.

Side note on the full Herald Console Set: It's a Particle Generator / Exotic Damage set. To make the most of that, you naturally need high Particle Generator Skill total and all the things necessary to make these science heavy builds excel. But a Vonph is a Cmdr TAC, 7 weapon ship with a 3/4/4 console layout and not a SCI heavy ship like Atrox, Vo'Quv. PGen builds are demanding on console slots to make them worthwhile and that can be a dilemma for the Vonph because in its heart, it wants to be a more traditional TAC Carrier like JHDC. To top it off, to play with the full set it takes 3 console slots to make it even harder to make it effective.

Or you could say, "TRIBBLE it." If you play without the consoles, then you got tons, tons more build freedom with a 7 weapon, TAC Cmdr Carrier having 4 TAC, 4 SCI Console slots.

The point was that most of the recent ship releases are out performing the Vonph, even T5 ships like the Narcine are out performing it in multiple areas.

Lower performance curve and it's not actually a rare Limited Time promotion ship != 900m-1b ship.

I advise people, if you value my opinion on ships, not to spend more than 300m for the Vonph. It's not worth it.

About the 3 herald consoles, the Quas is probably the only ship in the group that can run all 3 consoles without sacrificing anything.
    deokkent wrote: »
    Wish you could come up with innovative builds for the raider, instead of beams. You know?

yeah, i literally slapped on whatever i had in order to push the video out as fast as possible.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    People are so engrossed in beams it's all I see. I wish more people just a cared about having fun! Antiproton BFAW spam everywhere is so boring, I like to acquire rare weapons and set up my ships with themes. They don't really sacrifice much DPS in the long run either.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

The only one I've seen saying 1/750 also said that that number was more of a "gut feeling" based on how many messages were flashing across the screen. The 1/400 number was based on some people opening 4000 or so lockboxes. Still not enough IMO for a truly accurate number but it's the best I've seen to date. Those same people are saying the Quas was dropping at 1/160 which is better than the typical lockboxes.
    Yeah the Quas is only 175M right now, which is rather cheap actually.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps

Quas has a drop rate of ~1/160. which is about the same as a T5/Mirror ship booby prize.
  • Options

Quas has a drop rate of ~1/160. which is about the same as a T5/Mirror ship booby prize.

eh??? Looking at the info that's on the wiki, the mirror ships were around 2.5% which would be 1/40. There was a thread about the YoH LB and the Nyhidron was around 1.7% (4000 boxes opened) or 1/60. So the Quas is better than what the grand prize was in previous lock boxes but far worse than the old boobie prize.
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,653 Arc User

You should try a Narcine, it's very nice. The thing moves like a Battle Cruiser, and has some really fun options like using the Lt. Comm Uni as Sci for Gravity Well and DRB. It's my favorite, above the JHDC, Kar'fi, Sarr Theln, Vo'quv and Obelisk carriers that I've flown.
  • Options
    tempusmagustempusmagus Member Posts: 107 Arc User

This was multiple people opening 4000+ lockboxes each. That is in the tens of thousands of boxes being opened, that's a pretty good sample size. The Vonph isn't quite as rare as people seem to believe and the only reason why the price is skyrocketing is because it's only being sold off market and being a hot item. If the EC cap were raised so that these ships could be placed on the Exchange, the price would likely drop.