test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

unable to start game client: Success

dlegare1dlegare1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
After the patch on october 27th I get this when trying to start the game. Completely downloaded STO and still get this error! I'm running on a MAC. Any ideas?

Comments

• darksun2k10darksun2k10 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I'm getting the same error "UNABLE TO START GAME CLIENT: SUCCESS"
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    Ditto. I'm on a Mac in Canada. Restarting the computer didn't help.

I hope they extend the giveaway. I'd hate to miss out on three ships.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • batmancalero1234batmancalero1234 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    THAT'S IT! I'VE HAD IT WITH THESE TRIBBLE AND TRIBBLE AT STAR TREK ONLINE! I JUST WROTE TO THEM COMPLAINING WITH THE LATEST TRIBBLE JOB THEY DID ON THE APP TWO TIMES SO FAR ON THIS VERY DAY! AND SO FAR, THE APP WASN'T EVEN FIXED! THEY NEVER EVEN BOTHERED TO FIX THE DAMN THING! THAT THING HAS BEEN DESTROYED SINCE THIS MORNING BECAUSE OF THE DAMN MIRROR UNIVERSE THING THEY CREATED AND THEY NEVER EVEN BOTHERED TO EVEN FIX THIS LATEST TRIBBLE UP THEY DID! AFTER ONE TRIBBLE UP, ANOTHER COMES UP! THESE GUYS ARE REAL IDIOTS! THEY DON'T HAVE EXPERTS THAT KNOWS HOW TO FIX THE APP OR DO ANYTHING ELSE WITH IT! I GIVE UP FIGURING THESE PUNK ASSES OUT A LONG TIME AGO! THEY MIGHT AS WELL PLAY WITH EACH OTHER'S MALE LADY PARTS SINCE THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO FIX ANYTHING!
  • batmancalero1234batmancalero1234 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    I THINK THIS GAME WAS CREATED FOR THE BIMBO STAR TREK FANS ONLY AND THEY LEAVE THE OLD SCHOOL STAR TREK MALE FANS OUT OF THIS GAME! WE NEED TO BOYCOTT THEIR PUNK AND BIMBO ASSES AS OF RIGHT NOW! OR BETTER YET, I'LL BOYCOTT THEIR ASSES BY MYSELF AND YOU GUYS PLAY WITH EACH OTHER'S MALE LADY PARTS WHILE I FIX THIS PROBLEM RIGHT NOW! I LIKE TO DO THINGS BETTER ON MY OWN AND MY WAY!
  • jldrjldr Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    They sent me here to get help with "Unable to start game client: Success", looks to me like they just want to dump us Mac users, cause i don't see anything here that tells me what to do about this.
  • johnwatson71johnwatson71 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    jldr wrote: »
    They sent me here to get help with "Unable to start game client: Success", looks to me like they just want to dump us Mac users, cause i don't see anything here that tells me what to do about this.

thats because there is no current solution.

Well you could always try Bootcamp and run windows on your mac, but you're going to need to actually buy windows for that, and thats a good $200-$500 or however much microsoft charges for their crappy software now.
    7aamriW.png
  • braneriftbranerift Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    From what I have learned on my own.... Arc is using a Wine derivative called Cider to make the game run on the mac (yes folks, it's emulated.. kinda). So.... My solution was to take a windows install of a working game (grabbing the Star Trek Online_en from the C:\Program Files (x86) and drop it in to Wineskin (another mac emulator ..kinda, but very VERY similar to Cider). This worked and I can play the game on mac again... still working on getting the graphics to function at higher res like Cider, but at least I can play.

I am actually working on a method to extract from the Star Trek Online.app (right click > Show package Contents ) your current game and making it work with WineSkin... easy really. Oh.. WineSkin is free and this is where Cider was created from. Best of luck !

EDIT *** Got it working great after specifying the mac driver for video and tweaking the in game video. Works like the original. PM me if you need help setting it up. No need to wait on ARC to fix this.
    Post edited by branerift on
    If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right.
    --Henry Ford
  • mgamer4mgamer4 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I was wondering how would you get it to work if you have a IntelHD4000 rather than a separate GPU. Any ideas guys? Really upset to see this problem STILL here.
  • iathoriathor Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    jldr wrote: »
    Most of the discussion about this is in a different thread in this forum with the same name: http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1206170/unable-to-start-game-client-success#latest

Unless you want to run one of the other Wine emulators to make the game work, there's not much you can do right now. It does look (at least to me) like the problem is a missing library in the emulator built into the STO Mac client. I did send a twitter message to LaughingTrendy with the library error info, so hopefully she passed it on to the dev team working on the problem.

I don't know what Cryptic is currently doing about it, but they may be trying to get a fix from Transgaming, who makes the Cider emulator used for the STO Mac client.

Some people have apparently gotten the game to work using the Playonmac emulator; there are various posts about it in the other thread in this forum, and in the "official" thread about the S11 Mac client issue in the Galactic News Network forum.
  • iathoriathor Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    mgamer4 wrote: »
    I was wondering how would you get it to work if you have a IntelHD4000 rather than a separate GPU. Any ideas guys? Really upset to see this problem STILL here.
    The Mac client isn't going to work until Cryptic fixes the current bug that kills the client at launch.

But I'm very dubious about the HD4000 being powerful enough to run STO very well (or any other 3D-graphics-heavy game). I'm running the game on my Macbook, but it has the NVIDIA 750M discrete graphics unit. It does pretty well with medium graphics settings, but it heats up and runs the fans on high a lot; clearly the GPU is running flat out.

I doubt the HD4000 can play the game at anything above very low graphics settings -- it's just not a very powerful graphics engine. Some of the later Intel integrated graphics units (e..g Iris) are supposed to approach earlier discrete units. You also might have better luck with a lower screen resolution, which taxes the GPU a lot less.

But for now, this is all academic until the Mac client launch bug is fixed.
    If you want to wait on Cryptic to fix.... so be it... everyone else.... here is the fix.... I posted it in another place in the forums, but still too noob to post links... so here it is again....

I have fixed the issue entirely and the game runs as it did in Cider. Very simple... i want to make a YouTube Video to show the steps, but time is lacking. So here are the basics to everyone. IT WILL NOT DAMAGE YOU ORIGINAL GAME. That will remain untouched and when they fix it, you can go back to using that installation.

1. Download Wineskin.app and put it on your Desktop.
    2. Locate the Star Trek Online.app in your Applications.
    3. Right click the Star Trek Online.app and choose Show Package Contents. This will open the application (like a zip file) so you can see the files inside.
    4. Navigate to the Contents > Resources > transgaming > c_drive folder. Keep this window open and open a new Finder Window.
    5. In the new Finder windows, double click on the Wineskin.app. This will open a menu to create a new wrapper (app). You want to make sure if you are on El Capitan that you select the WS9Wine 1.7.52 (may have to install it via menu), then click Create New Blank Wrapper.
    6. Call the application whatever you like. I called mine TEMP-STO-fix (actually I may continue to use it as it works so well). You can change the name later to whatever. The app will be created... it might take a few min depending on the speed of your mac... mine is mid2012... slower....
    7. Once the App is created, a menu will appear. Click View Wrapper in Finder.
    8. Right click the new app and choose Show Package Contents. This will open the contents... from here it is just a matter of copying your existing game and patches (all together... easy) and dropping it in the new application.
    9. Go back to the original STO app you had open and copy two folder. (they may be large.. mine was 12GB). Copy both the Cryptic and StarTrekOnline folder from the path in step 4.
    10. Then navigate the new application to the following location..... Contents > Resources > drive_c. there is a sim link to this in the root, but this is the true path. Paste the files in there.........
    11. Once they are done back up to the root of the new application. you will see another Wineskin.app in there. Double click this....
    12. A menu will appear... Click Set Screen Options.... then check BOTH use Mac Driver and Use Direct 3D (my own testing). then Click Done, but don't close the original menu as you must select Advanced from this point.
    13. In the Advanced menu you need to point to the game Windows exe file. Here is the path once you click Browse.... Contents > Resources > drive_c > StarTrekOnline > StarTrekOnline.exe
    14. You can change the icon if you want to also.
    15. Finally... click TEST RUN. PATIENCE is needed only on this first run here...... I mean like 20-40 minutes... no kidding... you will have to do a few things (login and enter new auth code). It will appear that the New Dawn logo will hang... again... patience 20-40 min. Once the game comes up (and it will)... tweak graphics. The hang time seems to only occur on the first run! Remember, this is a test run.... once you get logged in an where you can select your crew... quit the game.
    16. Finally close all the windows from view contents..... fine the NEW app you just created, pasted, and tested... run that.... TADA !!!! faster start time and play away....

You can thank me in game by telling me how to make an awesome ship... :smile:
    --Henry Ford
  • nextloopnextloop Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    This definitely works to get the game running again, but after a bit of play it crashes due to graphics issues. This is even with graphics set back to Medium, where I normally run everything.
  • eighrichteeighrichte Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    iathor wrote: »
    I don't know what Cryptic is currently doing about it, but they may be trying to get a fix from Transgaming, who makes the Cider emulator used for the STO Mac client.

Made. Past tense. Cider and the rest of Transgaming's cross-platform tech has been acquired by Nvidia. I have no idea if they continue to support Cider. It's possible that Cryptic is on their own with this.
  • nextloopnextloop Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Update:

Fallowing Branerift's instructions, not only is STO working, but I just completed Infected Conduit Advanced. The key was setting all the graphics settings to Low and turning off post-processing and everything else.

The odd thing is that even with everything Low, it looks better than the official STO client on Medium. Not only that, but the Wine STO client made with these instructions actually runs better and acts more like a Mac program that the official STO client.

But the real takeaway is how pathetic it is that Cryptic has yet to release an update, when with a few minutes tinkering, it's possible to have a client that runs better than the official one.
  • kusterskusters Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    branerift wrote: »
    If you want to wait on Cryptic to fix.... so be it... everyone else.... here is the fix.... I posted it in another place in the forums, but still too noob to post links... so here it is again....

Worked quite well for me, thanks! (Frankly, seems more stable than the "official" emulator...)

• raxicoricoraxicorico Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    OMG Banerift Thank you SOOOO much. Cryptic should give you something for that ;)

Also a shout out to next loop for what he set his graphics too.

• jonasum#1471 jonasum Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    no updates still? I'm not on social networks, but would like to hear if anybody has given an update yet... :-/ still waiting
    Glad I could help. Most of my graphics are set to medium or low. I haven't had any crashing issues. The game actually shuts down properly, which didn't happen with Cryptics Wrapper....
    --Henry Ford