test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Admirality is feeling like a big *bird* to RR and KDF...

2»

Comments

• warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    Imagine just for a moment you're a casual player that doesn't own dozens of C-Store ships.
    He will have the exact same challenges. It doesn't matter if he's Fed, KDF, or RR.

But a 100 % success rate is not required to start missions, and there is a reason for that. If you can't achieve it, and you can't or don't want to spend any more pass tokens, you can simply do stuff with the risk of failure.

The casual player that is a Fed at least has the opportunity to improve his ship cards (let's be honest, Admiralty Ship System (TRIBBLE-lol) is a Trading Card Game of sorts) with the possible array of Fed ships he can acquire. A KDF & Rom can do the same but he is faced with an insurmountable wall: Limited Ship Selection, especially Science heavy ships, at T5 onwards.

No amount of acquiring goodies over time will bring KDF or a Rom player on equal footing as a Fed will.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • mreeves7amreeves7a Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    Imagine just for a moment you're a casual player that doesn't own dozens of C-Store ships.
    He will have the exact same challenges. It doesn't matter if he's Fed, KDF, or RR.

But a 100 % success rate is not required to start missions, and there is a reason for that. If you can't achieve it, and you can't or don't want to spend any more pass tokens, you can simply do stuff with the risk of failure.

The casual player that is a Fed at least has the opportunity to improve his ship cards (let's be honest, Admiralty Ship System (TRIBBLE-lol) is a Trading Card Game of sorts) with the possible array of Fed ships he can acquire. A KDF & Rom can do the same but he is faced with an insurmountable wall: Limited Ship Selection, especially Science heavy ships, at T5 onwards.

No amount of acquiring goodies over time will bring KDF or a Rom player on equal footing as a Fed will.

Trading Card Game you say? Then we should have to pick X number of 'cards' to be active at anyone time, i.e. a deck of cards. Then we can tailor that number low enough to keep the insane advantage Starfleet to a minimum (yes they'll have more high quality cards, but they'll have the same number max active at once).

By 'Active Cards' I mean this: You go to a space station/hub (ESD, Qo'nos, Flotilla, etc) and pick 15(?) max to be ready for deployment. Then when you open the Admiralty tab, those are the ones that you can set on the missions. There would need to be a mechanism to prevent folks from just swapping ships constantly, so ships in maintenance and on missions are locked into the deck until they are freed up.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,117 Arc User
    I do not think that either side is Sci heavy, I have the feeling that they are both balanced equally between Tac, Eng and Sci heavy (and the level mission of the 35-35-35 quality exist as well). It is just that Sci is the biggest problem for the players, so they will notice that more often and if you do not touch them, they will pile up.

And Sci is a problem for a lot of Feds, too. More than 50% of the toons on STO are Tac. They will have mostly Tac ships (apart from summer/winter/anniversary/giveaway). They will also have some cruisers (beam build, also: Enterprise style ships). But only a very few really seem to care about Sci all that much. And having more ships to choose from in the C-Store does not help if you don't buy them. So unless your xtreme-whaling, there will not be that much of a difference between Fed, Rom and KDF. Yes, Feds still have it better (if you bought DR, your Feds have 5 high level ships to RR/KDF's 2) but for the normal player not by that much.

But mostly I wonder why some people seem to think that this system should be "beatable", i. e. filling 6 slots (when unlocked) with all high success, maybe even crit rates, and this would continue through the day if they play a lot. I just do not think it is designed this way on purpose. Not necessarily to incite ship sales (though Cryptic certainly wouldn't mind if you bought one or two) but because not everything needs to be a "one click victory". The doff system is. Experienced players say the same about queues. But why does everything have to be?

Yes, despite fewer slots, admiraling does require more time and thought than doffing. Speaking of which: that one is a giant bird given to Fed players, who will get way less dilithium from it.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    If it seems like a middle finger to the KDF/Roms, that's because it is. I am so overly thrilled with us getting the short end of the stick every time they get a chance :|
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    kyrrok wrote: »
    If it seems like a middle finger to the KDF/Roms, that's because it is. I am so overly thrilled with us getting the short end of the stick every time they get a chance :|
    This is one of those things that would take a lot of tinkering to "fix". Short answer: the real problem is the simple fact that KDF has less ships than Feds do.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    Funny, my KDF aligned characters haven't been having any more difficulty completing Admiralty missions than the Fed aligned ones with roughly the same numbers and tiers of ships available to each. As others have already pointed out, it's not required to match or exceed all three values or to have 100% chance to succeed every time to run missions (and I expect you're not intended to, especially as you open up more mission slots).
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    Don't forget a Romulan can Claim lower Tier Ships of their aligned Faction to help fill out their Roster.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Seriously...as each day passes I'm getting more and more frustrated...I wasted almost a dozen pass tokens in one day just to try and get one mission that isn't Sci heavy...and when you think you have a passable one it end up with +20 or above to Sci.

I only have three or four ships that even break 30 science...two of them are event ships...thanks Cryptic...for yet another system that slows you down unless you're Fed!

funnily enough I have no problem filling the requirements of any of the missions and I haven't used a pass token yet, sure I had a few fails first day until I figured out what I needed to do but since I have been getting 100% success on all the missions across all of my characters, fed kdf & rom and like I said in another post I have hardly got what you might class a large collection of ships especially on kdf & rom.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I have to agree that this admiralty system is really difficult for the kdf side. The lack of decent sci ships in combination with the high sci requirements for the missions is silly. The only science leaning ships my kdf has are event ships. :(
    Tza0PEl.png
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,117 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    In which case you've completely wasted your time and sent your ships to sickbay for absolutely no gain. What's the point of that?

Same point as with Doff missions. Of course you have more doffs, but the mission will still be wasted. And most of them will still post failure rates, even if you have the perfect doffs.

And two missions at 90% are better than one at 100%+20% crit and the other not done at all. Yes, it is a gamble, but you will in the long run get more out of the system if you accept these gambles instead of going for the safe option every time.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • elywaerelywaer Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    I don't have a lot of ships on any of my toons. Twelve is the most I have on any one of them. I play Fed, KDF and Rom. I have problems with getting 100% sci on any of them. I just figured I have to go for "close enough" even if that's 60% of success.

I've had a fair amount of failed Admiralty Missions. But more are successful than aren't. I've gotten 2 salvage tech, rare crafting materials, dil, EC, etc.

I kind of like the system, but I would like more ships. Just can't afford them.

Would be nice if STO put together a pack of admiralty cards you could buy, instead of having to buy ships just for the cards. (But I probably couldn't afford them either)

So, once a day I check my Doffs and now my admiralty missions. If they succeed, then cool. If not, oh well. I have to go kill stuff, make dill, so I can buy more ships. :)
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    zero2362 wrote: »
    enorats1 wrote: »
    Tier 1-5? Seriously? Anything under T4 is going to be essentially useless in the admiralty system (they'll have really low stats, no point using a T2 science ship when a T6 engineering ship has quadruple the tac/eng stats and still has higher (if pitiful) science).. not to mention EXPENSIVE in terms of dilithium. I ended up paying 60k dilithium to buy the two federation T4 science ships because I needed anything I could get with a decent level of science. I throw those in with my bigger T6 ships on missions that have low to mid eng/tac requirements but stupid high science requirements.

As for event ships.. not everyone has them. I only play intermittently, so I've only got a couple of event ships.

You know there have been a number of missions I have run with a reliant, tos constitution and constitution refit that have not only succeeded but crited as well. T1 ships have there uses in the admiralty system. They are perfect for those 20, 20, 20 missions or to fill an empty slot in a mission to pump up the crit chance just a bit
    Those 20-20-20 missions also happen to be the Tour of Duty missions that bring you closer to the dilithium or the spec token payout. If you pass or risk failure on everything else, those are still pretty much guaranteed, as long as you can get them.
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    In which case you've completely wasted your time and sent your ships to sickbay for absolutely no gain. What's the point of that?

I mean, OTHER than to intentionally send a T1 Failboat alone to fail the mission and clear it for the lowest possible cost.

Because you want to get to one of the other missions that are opening up as the other get cleared away, obviously.

Tour of Duty missions is what you should be hunting for, and you can do that with very little. Of course, having more of everything helps to also get all the other stuff.

In the end, these are rewards you get on top of all the other rewards you could already get before. They cost you a bit of time to set up, but not anywhere as much as a new story mission, a STF or a Battlezone.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • kerygankerygan Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    there are many fed players that have no sci heavy ship ... science is useless some say .. and after that they release a system that needs it. Sci ships dont sell ,thats why sci lobi/box ships are so cheap , Annorax is allsow cheap , ppl buy them only to throw them away , because sci = useless.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Tour of Duty assignements are very nice with low requirements, that is until you reach 4th, 5th part. The requirements scale with the heigher tiers (I suppose the tenth is 100/100/100).

EDIT: Not that those are insurmountable requirements, it's just that one low tier ship won't do anymore.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Also noteworthy is the known issue, dyson ship reclaim bug, wich hits even more the kdf.
    On my roms I could reclaim them without any problem, yet on my kdf toons, both old and delta recruits, I am in the "Known issue" area :/
    I am also experiencing this on fed toons, but there becouse of nebulas, vesta pack and some sci heavy lock box ships it doenst even matter.

Edit: What the hell... Checked and saw the "Known issue" with the dyson destroyers is gone from patch notes, yet it was never fixed :(
    On kdf i can even prove it since on my old kdf toon i have some of them in my shipyard, yet I cant reclaim on others. On fed cant even prove that. This really sux :(
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,865 Arc User
    Oh I've claimed every ship I can...every c-store and event ship...I feel bad as a Romulan...I can't imagine how bad it would be as a raw KDF character...with no other faction to claim any other ships from.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power