test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Windows 10 to automatically download on your PC

Whether you want Windows 10 or not, Microsoft says it may download the files to your PC regardless.

In a statement to the Inquirer, Microsoft confirmed that it automatically downloads Windows 10 installation files on eligible PCs, provided automatic updates are enabled through Windows Update. The download occurs even if users haven’t opted in through the Windows 10 reservation dialog.

“For individuals who have chosen to receive automatic updates through Windows Update, we help upgradable devices get ready for Windows 10 by downloading the files they’ll need if they decide to upgrade,” Microsoft told the Inquirer. “When the upgrade is ready, the customer will be prompted to install Windows 10 on the device.”

Read on...........

This is wrong in so many ways, i don't want Win10, i should be forced and what are they are going to do with those that might get automatically updated that are not compatible?
Commander Shran - You tell Archer, that is three the pink skin owes me!

Comments

• Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    Should probably move this to 10 Forward. But yeah, it's time for me to move back to Linux and hope STO runs on linux mint.
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Been waiting like 3 months for my free Windows 10 to beam to my computer.........
  • Options
    this is a STO/Cryptic/Microsoft issue and does not belong in 10 forward that is for roleplaying and nonsense, whatever happens with the windows OS affects Cryptic bottom dollar so it belongs here im my opinion as someone who plays on windows and purchases goods from Cryptic on that platform
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Been waiting like 3 months for my free Windows 10 to beam to my computer.........

You can initiate the download "manually" from the Microsoft website. There's a direct link somewhere around there but here's what I could find using a PC already running Win 10 (it's to install from a USB device or DVD but that'll get the job done too.)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    I don't know how true this is but I have heard that Windows 10 has some sort of program that spies on your hard drive to check if everything on there is licensed. To be clear it is a rumor right now to me but does anyone know this as a fact?
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    I disabled that nasty little popup on my computer and tablet, that nags you to get Windows 10. I am that rare creature that (because I have touchscreens) likes Windows 8.1 and doesn't want to change OS's.

http://techwithlove.com/how-to-remove-get-windows-10-update-icon/

(Note: If you choose to use any method that involves messing with your registry I am NOT liable for that. I did not attempt registry edits on my own computer.)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    The files will be downloaded, but you can still say NO to using them to upgrade. MS wastes your disk space (grrrr!) but you can still keep running 7 or 8.1.
  • Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2015
    I don't know how true this is but I have heard that Windows 10 has some sort of program that spies on your hard drive to check if everything on there is licensed. To be clear it is a rumor right now to me but does anyone know this as a fact?

It is true:

Section 7B of the Windows 10 EULA

"We may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorised hardware peripheral devices,"
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    Meanwhile I am still in doubt.

I'm an 8.1 user, and have no troubles with 8.1 other than the lack of the start menu. I do miss that a lot, and WIndows 10 will restore that. But I still never found any confirmation that anything that runs on Windows 8.1, will also run on 10. And I'd rather not mess up my computer for the sake of a start menu tyvm​​
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    I've heard nothing but trouble from Win 10 from computer newbies and experienced users alike. It sounds quite buggy and unreliable, and seems to be a resource hog as well.

I'm sticking with 8.1.​​
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    It is pure spyware; avoid Windows 10. It tracks any credit/debit cards you use, takes notes of everything that happens (not exaggerating; stupid minute things like number of times you press a key are tracked, nevermind what else it tracks, one example is above, but there are far worse ones like the credit/debit card tracking) - it is spyware masquerading as an operating system.

You can semi-fix it to be an operating system rather than spyware, but it is quite fiddly; I know a bunch of IT/computer guys who've been working with computers for decades, and it took them days to figure out how to make it function somewhat acceptably. (As in not a total security risk.)

My dad, who has been a Microsoft partner for many years, is figuring out the best way to make Linux work because of what Microsoft are doing with Windows 10...
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    totally unrelated to sto in any way... shouldnt be on this forum imo much less general discussion. 10 forward if anywhere... also VERY old news
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    It seems the easy way to avoid is to turn off automatic updates and carefully select which updates to install and which not.

AT some point however Windows 7 and 8 and 8.1 will no longer be supported by Microsoft, like it happened with Windows XP. And then you will better move to a new OS. Maybe that will be Mac OX or Linux or something new entirely instead of Windows 10, but you don't want to stay on a system that gets no longer patched.

Anyway, I am using Windows 10 for a while now and it's basically the same as Windows 7 and 8, with a few new bells and whistles. Whether you use those is another matter. I mostly don't.
    It is just a rumor, not factual. The kind of data Microsoft actually collects is described in their privacy guidelines. And there are a lot of things you can turn off (and a few you can't). I think your main concern should probably be what kind of personal data they collect and how they intend to use it.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    It is pure spyware; avoid Windows 10. It tracks any credit/debit cards you use, takes notes of everything that happens (not exaggerating; stupid minute things like number of times you press a key are tracked, nevermind what else it tracks, one example is above, but there are far worse ones like the credit/debit card tracking) - it is spyware masquerading as an operating system.
    /quote]

Well, thank goodness Google and Facebook don't do that sort of thing.

Wait--what?

Right--keyboard and mouse heat maps are a big thing these days, everyone collects data about what you do, how often you do it, and when. The vast majority of it is truly generic and not tagged to you specifically. Specific data helps Google (or Apple, or Amazon) provide information that you might find valuable, and you have to opt in for that sort of thing. To get something, you have to give something, and you have to do the risk vs. benefit analysis.

Anyway, just change your Win10 privacy settings: http://www.wired.com/2015/08/windows-10-security-settings-need-know/

For those that think some Linux distro won't do the same things--really? Do you have time to read the entire code base? (Can you even read the code?) I didn't think so.

And seriously--do you think anyone really cares about your Amish TRIBBLE fetish?

(Added later: some bits of these help Windows 10 be enterprise-ready. Corporations definitely watch what you do as a part of risk management and mitigation. Of course, I know you're smart enough not to do Bad Things while on the company computer. Right? Right? Hello?)
    boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User

You can semi-fix it to be an operating system rather than spyware, but it is quite fiddly; I know a bunch of IT/computer guys who've been working with computers for decades, and it took them days to figure out how to make it function somewhat acceptably. (As in not a total security risk.)

My dad, who has been a Microsoft partner for many years, is figuring out the best way to make Linux work because of what Microsoft are doing with Windows 10...
    You already know the black helos with the MS logo are coming over the horizon.

I heard that industrial tinfoil is part of every Linux distro. :smiley:

Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • Options
    philosopherephilosophere Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    coupaholic wrote: »
    I've heard nothing but trouble from Win 10 from computer newbies and experienced users alike. It sounds quite buggy and unreliable, and seems to be a resource hog as well.

I'm sticking with 8.1.​​

As a recent convert from Windows 7, I for one am completely satisfied with Windows 10. My computer is working better than ever. The upgrade went seamlessly and only had one problem that affected STO: with "Location" turned on I was rubber banding like crazy. Turned it off (and created a new shortcut to the STO exe file) and the game has been problem free to date.

---

Everything you do on a connected computer/device can be tracked/recorded/exploited/etc... If you have nothing to hide why sweat it? With all the carrying on, one could surmise your are up to something... (cue the helicopters).

Might be for the best that some of you disconnect and start building your log cabin in Alaska... but don't forget about satellites. Perhaps a nice cave home...
    Are we there yet?
  • Options
    kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    I will probably buy a Win 10 install disc soon. Yes I could get the free upgrade, but there are occasions where you may want to do a fresh install, such as a bad malware infection or you get a BSOD at boot, or your hard drive decides to kick the bucket. I like to always have that disc.

Though when I do start using Windows 10 I will definitely be using this:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=l03mQ0p2ERc

I'm a huge fan of Spybot. I use Spybot free at work and use Spybot Pro on my PC at home. Since they are supporting Anti-Beacon I know it's going to be a trustworthy little app.

https://safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/
  • Options
    shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User

As a recent convert from Windows 7, I for one am completely satisfied with Windows 10. My computer is working better than ever. The upgrade went seamlessly and only had one problem that affected STO: with "Location" turned on I was rubber banding like crazy. Turned it off (and created a new shortcut to the STO exe file) and the game has been problem free to date.

---

Everything you do on a connected computer/device can be tracked/recorded/exploited/etc... If you have nothing to hide why sweat it? With all the carrying on, one could surmise your are up to something... (cue the helicopters).

Might be for the best that some of you disconnect and start building your log cabin in Alaska... but don't forget about satellites. Perhaps a nice cave home...

Was the last part of your post necessary? I mean you started off fine relating your personal experience with the O.S. and ending up finishing it up with innuendo and insults. I know I am probably going to get yelled at (or more likely flamed for it) but I do believe the concerns of some folks that their hard drives are being monitored by a company is not very appealing. Forget the TRIBBLE or pirated stuff they may have. I would be more worried about letters, addresses, phone numbers, scanned documents or projects that could have come under some scrutiny by a company.

It's one thing if it's a national security issue, I can see how that would be necessary to prevent some tragedy but as far as I know Microsoft is not the Department of Homeland Security so honestly I don't see what business it is of them to be a "watchdog" for our computers.

I am admittedly not in anyway, shape or form an expert on these matters so if I come off sounding like I don't know what I am talking about, I will accept that. But that's what I always thought discussions like these were for, to learn something from them.
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • Options
    I believe in internet anonymity. It's not about whether or not you have something to hide, it's a matter of principle. You should have a reasonable expectation of privacy in your own home, even when using your PC. Also it's the purpose of government to serve it's people, not constantly monitor them and punish them for every conceivable infraction.

While it can certainly be argued that such a thing doesn't really exist on the internet, that any device connected to the internet can be TRIBBLE into, that doesn't mean we should all just give up and turn off our firewalls. Use a firewall, use a resident antivirus, use browser plugins like ghostery, adblock plus, and scriptsafe. Use apps like Anti-Beacon to stop built-in tracking features in your OS. Is it perfect? No, but the more security you have the harder it is for the bad guys.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

I'm sticking with 8.1.​​

---

Everything you do on a connected computer/device can be tracked/recorded/exploited/etc... If you have nothing to hide why sweat it?
    If - but who has nothing to hide? Do you really want people to read your bad poetry and mary sue fan fiction that you decided to keep for yourself? Did you ever start writing an angry and hateful e-mail only to realize it wouldn't do any good and delete it? Did you ever say something behind someone's back that you wouldn't want him to hear. Do you really want anyone to know the kind of bdsm prôn you're into?
    If any of this gets recorded and stored outside your control, it can mean that it gets to people that will care about it. Microsoft might not, the NSA might not, the hacker that "freed" the data and put it on the public server doesn't. But your co-worker and your significant other might.

There is a reason why humans always put value on privacy, and it wasn't because it was very difficult to broadcast all the details of your personal life back in the old days.

That isn't to say that you need to worry about this particular stuff in regards to Windows 10 or Microsoft specifically.
    But never claim you don't have anything to hide. Most people do. It's not a skeleton in the closet usually, but it's still stuff that might make you or others feel uncomfortable and could hurt your personal life or your career.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options

I'm sticking with 8.1.​​

---

Everything you do on a connected computer/device can be tracked/recorded/exploited/etc... If you have nothing to hide why sweat it?
    If - but who has nothing to hide? Do you really want people to read your bad poetry and mary sue fan fiction that you decided to keep for yourself? Did you ever start writing an angry and hateful e-mail only to realize it wouldn't do any good and delete it? Did you ever say something behind someone's back that you wouldn't want him to hear. Do you really want anyone to know the kind of bdsm prôn you're into?
    If any of this gets recorded and stored outside your control, it can mean that it gets to people that will care about it. Microsoft might not, the NSA might not, the hacker that "freed" the data and put it on the public server doesn't. But your co-worker and your significant other might.

There is a reason why humans always put value on privacy, and it wasn't because it was very difficult to broadcast all the details of your personal life back in the old days.

That isn't to say that you need to worry about this particular stuff in regards to Windows 10 or Microsoft specifically.
    But never claim you don't have anything to hide. Most people do. It's not a skeleton in the closet usually, but it's still stuff that might make you or others feel uncomfortable and could hurt your personal life or your career.

Yup. This is why I avoid social media like the plague. We live in a day now where a picture of you drinking beer on your Myspace/Facebook/Whatever can get you fired from your job. TRIBBLE the fact that many people in professional positions drink with their family and friends on a regular basis and do so responsibly - if a picture of it turns up on the internet you can be fired.
  • Options
    I also don't do social media for the same reason. My fanfic is not that bad as far as fanfic goes, but it is so NOT my managers', coworkers', or even family's business. If I knew any of them could see it I probably would never post any of it, simply because I would not want their judgment. And I don't even write fanfic that is *that* questionable!

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

You already know the black helos with the MS logo are coming over the horizon.

I heard that industrial tinfoil is part of every Linux distro. :smiley:
    borg95.gif
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    shouldnt be on this forum imo much less general discussion. 10 forward if anywhere.

10 Forward is for anything one wants to talk about, Trek related or not. This topic is perfectly acceptable in 10 Forward.

candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    I actually started a thread in Ten Forward a while back about the Windows 10 upgrade; it would now be too old to bump up. This would be just fine as a replacement for it in 10F.

• Options
    hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    This is concerning. I would go over to Linux but the lack of game support is annoying.

Or is that no longer the case? Been a while since I've looked at Linux.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    ironically enough every computer you buy now will likely come preinstalled with windows 10, darn you Microsoft!.

windows 10 user since day 1 and loving it. :)
    more stable, loads faster, runs all my old software without issue, has far more good stuff on it then any of the previous OS's and its free (at the moment).

most of the so called bad stuff like privacy issues are just raised by paranoid twits who don't realise your internet service provider and just about every web site and search engine you use does exactly the same thing.

for clarification even if your computer downloads parts of windows 10 nothing will install or be used covertly or otherwise until you tell your computer to do so.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Let me get this straight. Because other companies engage in unethical data collection and spying, it's OK for Microsoft to do it too?
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    philosopherephilosophere Member Posts: 607 Arc User

Was the last part of your post necessary? I mean you started off fine relating your personal experience with the O.S. and ending up finishing it up with innuendo and insults. I know I am probably going to get yelled at (or more likely flamed for it) but I do believe the concerns of some folks that their hard drives are being monitored by a company is not very appealing. Forget the TRIBBLE or pirated stuff they may have. I would be more worried about letters, addresses, phone numbers, scanned documents or projects that could have come under some scrutiny by a company.

It's one thing if it's a national security issue, I can see how that would be necessary to prevent some tragedy but as far as I know Microsoft is not the Department of Homeland Security so honestly I don't see what business it is of them to be a "watchdog" for our computers.

I am admittedly not in anyway, shape or form an expert on these matters so if I come off sounding like I don't know what I am talking about, I will accept that. But that's what I always thought discussions like these were for, to learn something from them.

Did I need to? Perhaps not, but what is done is done, and it was not intended as an insult, just a sarcastic jest.

Privacy is what we have given up for the convenience offered by our networked world. Network is defined as a group or system of interconnected people or things. Connections work both ways. The only way to insure privacy is to disconnect. Anyone not willing to disconnect is thereby accepting the "terms" of the these connections and have no right to complain if their privacy has or is violated.

Now, I do not condone willful acts of deceit, theft or any other "violent" crimes against someone's privacy.

But, one must always be aware that this can happen and do their own benefit/risk assessment; and take the necessary steps to mitigate the dangers. Really bad poetry... pen and paper. TRIBBLE.... hide it under your mattress with your poetry (in your cave----that's me being sarcastic).

Sorry to come across as a hard-a**, but sometimes the naivety gets to me.
    Are we there yet?
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    The idea that it's going to force you to upgrade to windows 10 is complete myth and is garbage. you can also disable the excessive spying in windows 10 as well. no it shouldn't be there in the first place but since it can be knocked out it's not that big of a deal. it also can NOT disable softwares you may have or anything of the such if for example you have a game emulator.

The argument "if you have nothing to hide why worry" is completely bogus and does more harm than good. Here in the US you can never know for sure in the 27,000 pages of statues if they can't find something to slam you with. You can call that paranoid if you wish but considering the federal government will admit that they don't even know how many laws there are is kind of telling. You can let government watch you because "you have nothing to hide" but what happens if the rules change? Suppose you for example oppose a tax hike yet most of the powers that be want it to go through, so they crack down on folks who oppose it in some form or fashion. What then? Suppose gaming were to become illegal, then what would you do? yes i know those examples are far reaching but they're something that all of us understand. Further it's none of their business what we all use our computers for. I personally have some old maps and custom missions for older games that I never released as part of my modding. Sometimes I make a level or mission that I want to keep for myself and that's my right to do so as a modder/mapmaker. I don't care for people knowing that those levels and missions exist but beyond me telling folks they exist or me deciding to release that content it's none of anyone's business.

There are certain activities as well that people want to keep to themselves for whatever reason. Even if you know what someone is doing they still want to keep it to themselves. This is part of why we have doors on bathrooms. It's no secret what goes on in a bathroom but people still want to keep that activity to themselves and rightfully so. Call me paranoid if you wish but do you honestly want someone knowing everything you do, every time you swap games, swap toons, put on a different music set list, or something along those lines?

Then there's the business side of things. What of all this spying going on when a business is trying to invent a new product or something along those lines? What of criminal investigations as well? police do not always have the full story going into an investigation. What of for example a guy who's car is parked on the street of a major prostitution street for 3 hours every thursday? the pattern would suggest criminal activity, when in reality he's helping his elderly parents with their groceries each week who happen to live in that particular area. Another example, what of a guy who is parked outside a bar for 2 hours every friday night? the pattern would suggest he drinks, yet in reality they may have the best bbq wings in the area and he never drinks so much as one beer while he's there. Suppose that pattern comes up when he tries to get his license renewed. Point being there is far far too much potential for abuse with mass surveillance.

Overall it's a bad idea and there's a million different things I could come up with. anyways these are some of my thoughts.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator